Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 10:09:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This Lineker thing  (Read 9785 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: This Lineker thing
« Reply #90 on March 11, 2023, 12:48:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Lineker has a history of controversial political issues but wasn't disciplined until he went too far (according to his employers) by comparing the government to Nazi Germany.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on March 11, 2023, 01:47:23 pm by normal rules »
I can imagine very clearly what the reaction would have been had someone like Cressida Dick come out and said what Lineker did. When she was Met Commissioner.
Police Officers are bound by very similar impartiality rules.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on March 11, 2023, 01:58:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Last time I looked, Lineker wasn't responsible for enforcing laws passed by the Govt.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on March 11, 2023, 02:00:00 pm by belton rover »
Last time I looked, Lineker wasn't responsible for enforcing laws passed by the Govt.
No, but he’s probably listened to more than her.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on March 11, 2023, 02:08:22 pm by normal rules »

Profile, influence, and responsibility was what I allude to.
Both are high profile. Both have influence, Lineker perhaps much more so. Both had responsibilities.
What if his politics were right sided and he came out and applauded the govts stance on immigration?
There would be equal uproar.  And he would be in a similar situation with his employers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on March 11, 2023, 02:09:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Profile, influence, and responsibility was what I allude to.
Both are high profile. Both have influence, Lineker perhaps much more so. Both had responsibilities.
What if his politics were right sided and he came out and applauded the govts stance on immigration?
There would be equal uproar.  And he would be in a similar situation with his employers.

Judging by attitudes on here, the majority of folk can't abide him.

Interesting...

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on March 11, 2023, 02:24:33 pm by normal rules »
I’m not afraid to admit I’m not a fan of his.
And it has nothing to do with his politics.
He was a great footballer. Just never liked his style of presenting. Don’t care for his wry asides and light wordplay. Never have.
A bit like certain comedians or actors, you either like them or you don’t.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on March 11, 2023, 02:30:44 pm by ncRover »
A pint with Lineker would be rather painful

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on March 11, 2023, 06:38:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Lineker either thinks that everyone agrees with his views, or he wants a confrontation with those who don't. Even someone as out of touch with public opinion as him will know it's the latter. So, if he wants to cause confrontation he should be prepared to receive it, along with the consequences that go with it.

He's a jumped-up football pundit who should stick to talking about what he's famous for and not exploit his position by considering himself a political educator of the people.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 06:50:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on March 11, 2023, 06:45:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Lineker either thinks that everyone agrees with his views, or he wants a confrontation with those who don't. Even someone as out of touch with public opinion as him will know it's the latter. So, if he wants to cause confrontation he should be prepared to receive it, along with the consequences that go with it.

He's a junked-up football pundit who should stick to talking about what he's famous for and not exploit his position by considering himself a political educator of the people.

Aye, same with Rashford when he successfully campaigned for kids school meals. He should have sticked to what he's famous for and not exploit his position to help feed hungry children.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on March 11, 2023, 06:55:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Rashford was awarded an MBE for his formidable campaigning work to end child food poverty and support vulnerable families. He didn't go about it by accusing the government of acting like German Nazis.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on March 11, 2023, 07:04:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

I suspect this will be Hope Utd conceding yet another goal, but have you thought Lineker might just have been giving his opinion?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on March 11, 2023, 07:06:13 pm by normal rules »
 linekers political outbursts seems to fit with his agenda of him being self employed, which the tax man is after him for. he blames the bbc of course.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/gary-lineker-tax-clash-bbc-paying-legal-fees-2201702
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:10:11 pm by normal rules »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on March 11, 2023, 07:11:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BB

I suspect this will be Hope Utd conceding yet another goal, but have you thought Lineker might just have been giving his opinion?

Lineker can think himself lucky that he lives in a country where he can give his opinion without being in fear for his life, like he would have been in Germany in the 30's.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on March 11, 2023, 07:22:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hope 0-2 Experience. Why do I support this hopeless cause?

That would have been a beautifully crafted contribution if Lineker or anyone else had said this country is like Germany in the 1930s.

As it is, it looks more like you flailing around looking for a fight again.

Enjoy yourself.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on March 11, 2023, 07:23:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
linekers political outbursts seems to fit with his agenda of him being self employed, which the tax man is after him for. he blames the bbc of course.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/gary-lineker-tax-clash-bbc-paying-legal-fees-2201702

Seems to fit according to the Guido website you mean NR?

Here's a thought. Maybe he was just expressing his opinion?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on March 11, 2023, 07:33:17 pm by albie »
Lineker compared the language used to that used in relation to the immigration issue in pre war Germany.......nothing controversial at all!

What is controversial is the BBC having Tory appointees in key positions, such as Davie, Gibb etc, who have financially supported the party, or stood for office as representatives of the party.

Missing from the debate is that the BBC have decided to withdraw a David Attenborough nature documentary from terrestrial TV, because it correctly identifies the potential impact of climate change on natural systems.

Apparently, this is to avoid criticism from swivel eyed loons on the Tory right, who do not think climate change is important.

The point here is that if you start to manage scientific output to meet perceptions of fringe interests, then you have lost all remaining credibility for the broadcaster.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on March 11, 2023, 07:33:45 pm by ravenrover »
Rashford was awarded an MBE for his formidable campaigning work to end child food poverty and support vulnerable families. He didn't go about it by accusing the government of acting like German Nazis.
Should he have needed to make his campaign?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on March 11, 2023, 07:34:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hope 0-2 Experience. Why do I support this hopeless cause?

That would have been a beautifully crafted contribution if Lineker or anyone else had said this country is like Germany in the 1930s.

As it is, it looks more like you flailing around looking for a fight again.

Enjoy yourself.
Funny that, I thought it was you who started the thread! You must either think that everyone agrees with your views, or you want a confrontation with those who don't.

I think if you really, REALLY thought about it, you'd realise that it is YOU who is looking for a fight. As always!

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on March 11, 2023, 08:04:34 pm by belton rover »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on March 11, 2023, 08:31:12 pm by River Don »
Lineker currentltly has the public support of Jeremy Clarkson, John Cleese, Piers Morgan and Daniel Hannon.

With the backing of dyed in the wool lefties like that, he's in real trouble...

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on March 11, 2023, 10:25:58 pm by SydneyRover »
''Would Lineker have been removed if he supported government's policy?
That's the question the BBC's Nomia Iqbal put to the director general today.

"If he'd replied to Suella Braverman to say 'I support your migrant policy, I back it, it's brilliant', he would be taking an opinion. Would you have removed him for that?" she asks Davie.

"I'm not going to go through all the hypotheticals of the past," he responds.

"We deal with these things on an ongoing basis. I think there are some questions coming from this period which has been difficult," he responds''

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/entertainment-arts-64895316

Study the past to see the future, everyone can see how the beeb would have responded they have a history.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on March 11, 2023, 10:40:54 pm by SydneyRover »
Here's a familiar sounding line ........ (October 27, 2018)

''Not that everything was plain sailing at the Fox ship. A few days before Lachlan took the stage, a gunman opened fire at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, killing 11 Jewish worshippers.

Before the attack the alleged shooter had repeated on social media a number of Fox News talking points about Central American migrants “invading” America. He had also posted a Fox News report that showed a truck stamped with the Star of David carrying asylum seekers to the US border''

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/11/lachlan-murdoch-fox-news-defamation-case

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on March 12, 2023, 01:15:20 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It's the Culture War and this man is struggling to find that trigger bit on his bullet firer.

https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1634687309940420608?s=20

Count the days down till he's gone.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on March 12, 2023, 08:08:17 am by roverstillidie91 »

He's a jumped-up football pundit who should stick to talking about what he's famous for and not exploit his position by considering himself a political educator of the people.
Do you not believe in free speech ?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on March 12, 2023, 08:37:06 am by Bentley Bullet »

Do you not believe in free speech ?
Yes, I believe in free speech, but sometimes when it causes upset you pay for it.

Filo

• VSC Member

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on March 12, 2023, 08:45:30 am by SydneyRover »
The problem is not what was said, it is whether everyone is allowed the same right to say it.

''Lord Sugar deletes Corbyn-Hitler tweet after McDonnell appeal

Apprentice star had posted mocked-up image of Labour leader in car next to Nazi dictator''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/31/mcdonnell-calls-for-lord-sugar-to-delete-corbyn-hitler-tweet

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on March 12, 2023, 09:08:21 am by Bentley Bullet »
It was stupid and dangerous of Sugar to associate Corbyn with the Nazis. He deleted the tweet and declared that it was meant as a joke. Had he refused to back down on it maybe the BBC would have responded in a similar way it did to Lineker.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on March 12, 2023, 09:13:44 am by SydneyRover »
granted it was stupid, but he only withdrew because he was asked, but not by the bbc and he made excuses that he didn't create it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012