Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 01:46:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield  (Read 3044 times)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
Schofield
« on March 20, 2023, 05:33:29 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Was listening to a league 2 Twitter space earlier and they came onto donny and the host (Bradford fan) made a very good point saying that Schofield and the club will have had one eye on next season so think Schofield especially now the season is basically over he will be telling the board and Copps what players he wants to keep and who he doesn’t so we’re ready for next season. No point changing from what he wants to do with the system and style of play, he needs a summer and a pre season with his own players. He has only had 1 january window where 4 of his 5 signings were loans so he is playing a completely different style of play to before with players that were brought in by McSheffrey/Wellens.

We can’t keep sacking managers every 4/5 months, we saw in January that he’s not afraid to move players on who don’t want to be here (Knoyles case) or players that don’t fit the way he wants to play (Clayton) so we need to see what he can do for the first few months of next season with his own squad. He’s also started to show who he wants to keep with new contracts for Anderson, Hurst and now Olowu.

The host also said it’s a similar process to what Bradford went through last year when Hughes was appointed, completely different style of play to Derek Adams but wasn’t quite working because he was trying to play the style of football with Adams’ players so wasn’t really working and they finished that season 14th. He brought in his own players in the summer and they’ve improved massively (I think they will go up this season whether that’s play offs or Autos).

If anyone wants to listen to the chat about us the link is below, they do a space every Sunday at 7pm which is always a review of league  over the weekend with fans going on to talk about their teams game (sometimes on a Wednesday if there’s a full set of midweek fixtures).

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1nAKEreAvDXGL

Donny chat starts at 1:23:30

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
Re: Schofield
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2023, 05:47:04 pm by Cramby10 »
Give up lad. He’s a pot dog and needs to be shown the door with haste. We’ll be playing in front of an empty stadium if he continues. It’s alright planning for next season whilst completely neglecting this one. Absolutely nothing he has done so far suggests to me he has anything to offer us.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2023, 06:19:05 pm by scawsby steve »
Anyone who believes you can just write a season off and plan for the next one is living in cloud cuckoo land. What about ST sales?

Also, no matter what players DS signs, they'll never be able to implement his way of playing in League 2.

Of course, I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and will hold my hand up on here if I am.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2023, 06:47:51 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Anyone who believes you can just write a season off and plan for the next one is living in cloud cuckoo land. What about ST sales?

Also, no matter what players DS signs, they'll never be able to implement his way of playing in League 2.

Of course, I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and will hold my hand up on here if I am.
I’m not saying he completely wrote the season off, I’m just saying it’s more of a long term process with DS and Copps, said it on here several times it was never going to be a case of DS coming in with a complete different style of play to McSheffrey and it clicking straight away. He needs time to bring in his own signings. Majority of the fan base were saying when he was appointed that he needs to be given time but now because we have had a few bad performances he needs to go. Let him bring in his own players in the summer and see where we are by September/October.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 20, 2023, 06:49:25 pm by roversdude »
BV I agree with that, it’s painful at the minute but with the right backing…..

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 20, 2023, 07:01:18 pm by Cramby10 »

I’m not saying he completely wrote the season off, I’m just saying it’s more of a long term process with DS and Copps, said it on here several times it was never going to be a case of DS coming in with a complete different style of play to McSheffrey and it clicking straight away. He needs time to bring in his own signings. Majority of the fan base were saying when he was appointed that he needs to be given time but now because we have had a few bad performances he needs to go. Let him bring in his own players in the summer and see where we are by September/October.
he’s brought in 5 of his own players already and we’ve got even worse!!!! I don’t buy this “he needs a pre season”, “ he needs his own players” blah blah blah. Are we saying every new manager can only work with a whole new team of his own players? This to me shows serious flaws in a managers ability if so. Any manager worth his salt should be able to improve the side with the players available if our hierarchy strongly believe he is a better manager than GM.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 20, 2023, 07:02:36 pm by ncRover »
If he doesn’t sign a physical striker for George Miller to play off by the end of the summer window I will be very worried.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2023, 07:13:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He needs to turn a win ratio from 50/50 to something that delivers 2 pts per game at least and I don't care really how he goes  about it. The more options he has at his disposal across the pitch the better.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2023, 07:15:59 pm by Padge_DRFC »
If he doesn’t sign a physical striker for George Miller to play off by the end of the summer window I will be very worried.

Id go and get Matt Smith from Salford for this. Can we compete wages wise though with them?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2023, 07:33:17 pm by ncRover »

Id go and get Matt Smith from Salford for this. Can we compete wages wise though with them?

There will be better than him available for free in the summer. Jamie Proctor, Joe Ironside and Ryan Bowman all available and have helped teams to L2 promotion in recent seasons (must be something in that).

Schofield needs to accept that it is about mixing it up. Like someone said earlier today ; Get the ball in to the box, the defenders will make mistakes in this league.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2023, 09:10:11 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

he’s brought in 5 of his own players already and we’ve got even worse!!!! I don’t buy this “he needs a pre season”, “ he needs his own players” blah blah blah. Are we saying every new manager can only work with a whole new team of his own players? This to me shows serious flaws in a managers ability if so. Any manager worth his salt should be able to improve the side with the players available if our hierarchy strongly believe he is a better manager than GM.
yes he has brought in 5 players but everyone knows how hard it is to sign players in January. A January window isn’t for changing up a whole team, that’s the summer window hence why I’m saying he needs to be given the summer and a pre season.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 20, 2023, 09:15:21 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

There will be better than him available for free in the summer. Jamie Proctor, Joe Ironside and Ryan Bowman all available and have helped teams to L2 promotion in recent seasons (must be something in that).

Schofield needs to accept that it is about mixing it up. Like someone said earlier today ; Get the ball in to the box, the defenders will make mistakes in this league.
if we were in for Proctor then I’m sure Taylor could put in a good word with them being good mates and running a podcast together. Not sure about his fitness tho (Proctor I mean lol) only played 15 league games this season and struggled with injuries in the past.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 20, 2023, 09:19:18 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
It's the fallacy of sunk costs again, we had the same with McSheffrey, with a summer window or more money or his own team or a giant striker he might get better.

He seems a genuinely decent bloke (like McSheffrey) but I personally haven't seen anything at all that suggests he can make it work, his formation is awful, his substitutions are baffling, the football is beyond boring, he seems inflexible and not able to motivate the team when the chips are down.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 20, 2023, 10:05:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
The one shaft of light is that he’s got a plan and knows what it takes to work but his current squad cannot deliver this. When he gets the right lads in, things will improve. The fear obviously is that his system is a load of old b*llocks and we are going to spend a load of cash trying to put lipstick on a pig. Let’s see what happens.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 20, 2023, 10:18:33 pm by Silkscarf »
Schofield was Copps’s choice and because of the stature the HoF has the current manager will get the summer window and until Xmas to show us we are on the way back to the 3rd tier.

OK if that’s what’s happening. I’ll be patient a bit longer. Will everyone else? I don’t know. Let’s see.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 20, 2023, 10:33:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Wait a minute. Let's not get too carried away with this 'his' team. The HoF will be looking at the bigger picture and whilst Schofield has influence in the decision making on signings, I would imagine the targets will be filtered through Copps to find the right ones for the time. Depending on a number of factors, there'll be a mix of long term potential, short term risks, loans, the lot.

Clearly the Summer window is the better time to be acquiring high priority targets who they've already tracked.

The head coach, whoever that may be, needs to match the overall vision of the HoF and bring it all together on the pitch.

One of the main reasons we've gone down the HoF route is to avoid chucking everything in the bin and starting again when there's a change of head coach.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 21, 2023, 04:34:35 am by Campsall rover »
Wait a minute. Let's not get too carried away with this 'his' team. The HoF will be looking at the bigger picture and whilst Schofield has influence in the decision making on signings, I would imagine the targets will be filtered through Copps to find the right ones for the time. Depending on a number of factors, there'll be a mix of long term potential, short term risks, loans, the lot.

Clearly the Summer window is the better time to be acquiring high priority targets who they've already tracked.

The head coach, whoever that may be, needs to match the overall vision of the HoF and bring it all together on the pitch.

One of the main reasons we've gone down the HoF route is to avoid chucking everything in the bin and starting again when there's a change of head coach.
Agree with that DBR.
But was Copps vision to play football on the back foot. Create 2/3 chances on ave per match and only have an ave of 2 shots on target per match.
Was it his vision to bore the pants off our long suffering supporters?

Yes Rome wasn’t built in a day but quite honestly whether we have the squad at present that DS or Copps want, do you see any progress being made as this season has progressed.
We throw in one 45 min decent performance every 3 games at best. It simply isn’t good enough.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 21, 2023, 06:26:56 am by Rovers91 »
I could understand giving Schofield a summer if there were signs of improvement. But the fact we aren't playing anybody off the pitch when we are in league 2 or showing any signs of improvement I don't know how the club can justify it. If we lose tonight they should sack him before getting back on coach.
Next season will be tougher as well because which ever teams don't go up this season will be competitive, Gillingham a summer to throw money about, Wrexham & Notts County if they both come up will be competitive. Then the teams coming down from league 1 look a better bunch than who we came down with.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:33:16 am by Rovers91 »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 21, 2023, 07:41:20 am by ncRover »
Very true. The league will be tougher next season. We therefore need to make statement signings and some with experience of success at this level. That means no players that other league 2 teams didn’t want, such as James Brown and Lavery.

Hopefully there was some truth to Maxwell’s
4-4-2 comments.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:53:39 am by ncRover »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 21, 2023, 08:52:11 am by RugbyRover »
Very true. The league will be tougher next season. We therefore need to make statement signings and some with experience of success at this level. That means no players that other league 2 teams didn’t want, such as James Brown and Lavery.

4-4-2 comments.

statement signings?

remind me of our last statement signing?

Not going to happen.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 21, 2023, 09:02:32 am by DonnyOsmond »

Would you expect Klopp to be able to work with a full back like Gary Neville? He wouldn't fit his style and it'd make more sense to just go out and find someone that does instead of wasting time trying to make a player play a way that's unnatural to them.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 21, 2023, 09:46:52 am by ForsolongaRover »

Agree with that DBR.
But was Copps vision to play football on the back foot. Create 2/3 chances on ave per match and only have an ave of 2 shots on target per match.
Was it his vision to bore the pants off our long suffering supporters?

Yes Rome wasn’t built in a day but quite honestly whether we have the squad at present that DS or Copps want, do you see any progress being made as this season has progressed.
We throw in one 45 min decent performance every 3 games at best. It simply isn’t good enough.
I suppose most fans will support any winning style of play and I can understand how a young well-qualified coach with a clear vision of playing the game the right way could develop such a culture here and why that is attractive to the purists. The comparisons with SOD follow naturally.

The problem is that the indications are that evidence of the development of such a style is difficult to perceive. SOD introduced players who had visible attributes indicative of improved quality and although the transformation was only gradual you could see change for the good was happening. He also made a solid case for what he was doing in his interviews.

The challenge to those who promote Schofield’s leadership is to provide evidence that things are moving the right direction. As matters stand, based on what has happened so far, it is rather more than a leap of faith. If he came over as a more rounded flexible sort of character it would still be a risk based on what has happened so far. The fact is though, that the majority now seem to agree that it would be a reckless gamble to imagine that we can risk the club’s future by giving him more time.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 21, 2023, 10:23:24 am by Chris Black come back »

4-4-2 comments.

statement signings?

Not going to happen.

I guess if you were being generous you could say that committing Olowu and Hurst to long term deals was a surprising and positive sign. No idea why these lads would spend their best years with us, but glad they have signed up nonetheless.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 21, 2023, 10:42:23 am by Alan Southstand »
Not statement signings, though. All those signed need to significantly up their games next season for us to be anywhere near challenging.

Added to those, we need quality signings - we’ve needed them for 2 or 3 seasons - and unless there’s a seismic shift in the Club’s approach, we’re in for yet another miserable season.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 21, 2023, 12:29:28 pm by ctay »
I want it to work with DS, I do.... but I feel its too big of a job for him. It looks like the club is rotten, lost the ethos of what made us a good club. That comes from the top. That isnt DS's fault.

At the minute the football is dross, the subs are like for like and not often enough is he trying to change the game. The positive signs are very little.

I always come back to the thing we lack.. experience within the club.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 21, 2023, 12:54:01 pm by Bessie Red »

4-4-2 comments.

statement signings?

Not going to happen.
Jo Olowu yesterday!

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 21, 2023, 01:04:45 pm by Cramby10 »

Would you expect Klopp to be able to work with a full back like Gary Neville? He wouldn't fit his style and it'd make more sense to just go out and find someone that does instead of wasting time trying to make a player play a way that's unnatural to them.
you mean the same Klopp who’s played James Milner at fullback any number of times? Making use of players he’s inherited.
Schofield has actually got his own right back in and there’s no improvement.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 21, 2023, 01:14:05 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Is there evidence that Klopp has not "worked with" a regular top international player who "has not fitted his style"?  It also implies that trying to change the way a player plays is something that he would not do. Change for the better is surely an important part of good management. Has not Klopp has done a good deal of that at Liverpool? It sounds a rather speculative statement to me. So I'm afraid that I personally would not have reason to "expect it".

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 21, 2023, 01:46:17 pm by dickos1 »
Close, knoyle, molyneux, we’re all seen as statement signings.
Don’t think it matters what we think when they sign, it’s what they do after they sign that matters.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 21, 2023, 03:17:19 pm by Upton Rover »
Was listening to a league 2 Twitter space earlier and they came onto donny and the host (Bradford fan) made a very good point saying that Schofield and the club will have had one eye on next season so think Schofield especially now the season is basically over he will be telling the board and Copps what players he wants to keep and who he doesn’t so we’re ready for next season. No point changing from what he wants to do with the system and style of play, he needs a summer and a pre season with his own players. He has only had 1 january window where 4 of his 5 signings were loans so he is playing a completely different style of play to before with players that were brought in by McSheffrey/Wellens.

We can’t keep sacking managers every 4/5 months, we saw in January that he’s not afraid to move players on who don’t want to be here (Knoyles case) or players that don’t fit the way he wants to play (Clayton) so we need to see what he can do for the first few months of next season with his own squad. He’s also started to show who he wants to keep with new contracts for Anderson, Hurst and now Olowu.

The host also said it’s a similar process to what Bradford went through last year when Hughes was appointed, completely different style of play to Derek Adams but wasn’t quite working because he was trying to play the style of football with Adams’ players so wasn’t really working and they finished that season 14th. He brought in his own players in the summer and they’ve improved massively (I think they will go up this season whether that’s play offs or Autos).

If anyone wants to listen to the chat about us the link is below, they do a space every Sunday at 7pm which is always a review of league  over the weekend with fans going on to talk about their teams game (sometimes on a Wednesday if there’s a full set of midweek fixtures).

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1nAKEreAvDXGL

Donny chat starts at 1:23:30
We can and we should sack a manager every 4 to 5 months if they perform like they do, he should go before the season is out and new blood in, or we will have the same situation next year

TinyPortal © 2005-2012