Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 06:59:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wrexham  (Read 8804 times)

karldew

• Forum Member
Re: Wrexham
« Reply #30 on April 15, 2023, 08:12:28 pm by karldew »
County back to 1 point behind and better goal difference. Right to the wire!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 22, 2023, 08:39:59 pm by steve@dcfd »
Wrexham Champions and promoted 10,000 crowd  110 pts. The owners may have spent money but the joy and excitement that they brought Wrexham FC and the town.
JR had his faults but he had the passion and took our club from the Conference to League 1 and with the present  owner got us to the Championship but the enjoyment both in the leagues and the Cups was brilliant.
So the joy that Wrexham are feeling now having slid down the leagues from 2002 to 2008 and then beeb trying to get back.

So the frustration and embarrassment we are feeling now must be be put right this summer so we don’t slide into the National league next season. We need that entertainment and excitement back.

Congratulations to  Wrexham they will be the side to beat next season.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 22, 2023, 08:48:33 pm by Spilsby Red »
Totally agree with everything you said

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 22, 2023, 08:56:48 pm by tyke1962 »
Absolutely brutal that league when you have to win the league to get automatically promoted .

15 years out of the EFL is an awful long time for a club of that size and it's taken a £6m investment to get them back .

I don't begrudge them their success tonight given the size of the investment they've had , they've paid their dues in North Wales in my opinion .

They'll probably walk league two next season  and probably find it easier than the NL .

I might be on my own here but I'm pretty convinced league two is easier than the NL .

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 22, 2023, 09:01:01 pm by ravenrover »
It's all about a film/tv programme. Wonder what the owners interest will be when they start to lose more thsan they win, maybe not next season but in the future. Doesn't FFP apply now they are back in EFL?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 22, 2023, 09:03:30 pm by adamtherover »
When they finally do a Bournemouth and get to the prem, are we gonna wax lyrical about plucky little Wrexham punching above their weight etc, and conveniently forget they will have smashed every FFP rule along the way with their billionaire owners.,. That said, good luck to the fans, they are overdue some success.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 22, 2023, 09:12:02 pm by tyke1962 »
When they finally do a Bournemouth and get to the prem, are we gonna wax lyrical about plucky little Wrexham punching above their weight etc, and conveniently forget they will have smashed every FFP rule along the way with their billionaire owners.,. That said, good luck to the fans, they are overdue some success.

Thinking the same , it could be the greatest investment ever made given what they paid for the club .

They can reach the championship with relatively modest investment given the owners wealth , possibly less than £15m .

Once in the championship it gets interesting , probably looking at another £30m .

A single PL season comes in at £170m , stick around for two or three seasons and that investment looks pretty decent value starting from the NL .

All if's and buts mind , as Wednesday and Derby will tell you .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 22, 2023, 09:17:16 pm by Campsall rover »
Congratulations to Wrexham
Fantastic achievement.
Hope Notts County get up also in the play offs
To get 106 points with a game to play and not go up would be a terrible in justice.
Surely it has to be 3 up next season.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 22, 2023, 09:59:42 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Congratulations to Wrexham
Fantastic achievement.
Hope Notts County get up also in the play offs
To get 106 points with a game to play and not go up would be a terrible in justice.
Surely it has to be 3 up next season.

why is buying success a "fantastic achievement" ?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 22, 2023, 10:05:09 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Didn’t Ryan throw plenty of money at it when we were in the conference? We must have had a decent deficit when we went into the Championship under SOD too.

Success will take, more often than not, someone willing to invest “gamble” a lot of money. At least the Wrexham owners are properly enjoying the ride as genuine fans would. They’ll have harder times eventually but seems like jealousy to begrudge Wrexham their promotion

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 22, 2023, 10:23:32 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Ryan threw a bit around, splashing it on Campbell and Whitman spring to mind, and loved the limelight but it's all relative I dont think that was as much as Wrexham have an probably will throw about. Championship wise we got Sharpe and Mills at absolute bargains and we were surely near the bottom of the average wage per week stats

I'd say Wrexham are more akin to Man City than anything else, in terms of throwing the dosh around and somehow beating the fair play rules. One difference though is these City owners have proven they are there for the long term, even planning to redevelop the area to this day......but there's something about this Wrexham lot that sits different, kind of feel like if Netflix decided they didnt want to make any more documentaries then the likes of Reynold and Ben Foster would be off

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 22, 2023, 10:27:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
Justin Jackson, Carl Alford, Jamie Paterson, all the ex-Premier League players. Ryan and Wetzel spent a lot of money at that level. A lot.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 22, 2023, 10:28:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
There are no FFP rules in the National league they will have sort that next season.
But they have achieved promotion after waiting 15 years. If the rules were 3 up and 3 down before they would not have to wait as long. The joy  and excitement for their supporters was worth the millions they spent.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 22, 2023, 10:29:36 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Yes it’s gimmicky I’ll give you that. I heard they are not giving Wrexham the money but loaning it which is concerning. I’d say with Wrexham generally they will likely be like Lincoln who built brilliant momentum up and get up to L1 easily and have a push to get playoffs but be a stretch too far.

They do get big crowds so they can afford to spend what a lot of L1 clubs do.

On our championship deficit I bet it was large in comparison to our income which is what matters. Yes nothing compared to the competition but still completely unsustainable unless someone is willing to continue paying out their own pocket

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 22, 2023, 10:34:55 pm by DRFC_AjA »
I guess the best way to describe it is I worry far more for the fans of Wrexham than I do for us when we were in that position

It's a tale as old as time unfortunately.....rich owner bank roles club in order to get themselves even more attention....loans club money at high interest rates....gets bored and then f's off. Hope i'm proven wrong for their sake

And be careful all those saying it should be 3 up 3 down we're still in this league you know  :laugh:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 22, 2023, 10:38:02 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I guess the best way to describe it is I worry far more for the fans of Wrexham than I do for us when we were in that position

It's a tale as old as time unfortunately.....rich owner bank roles club in order to get themselves even more attention....loans club money at high interest rates....gets bored and then f's off. Hope i'm proven wrong for their sake

And be careful all those saying it should be 3 up 3 down we're still in this league you know  :laugh:

Was thinking that. Maybe we need to get to L1 somehow before we join the campaign for 3 promotions….. or until we reach the NL!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 22, 2023, 10:48:10 pm by tyke1962 »
Yes it’s gimmicky I’ll give you that. I heard they are not giving Wrexham the money but loaning it which is concerning. I’d say with Wrexham generally they will likely be like Lincoln who built brilliant momentum up and get up to L1 easily and have a push to get playoffs but be a stretch too far.

They do get big crowds so they can afford to spend what a lot of L1 clubs do.

On our championship deficit I bet it was large in comparison to our income which is what matters. Yes nothing compared to the competition but still completely unsustainable unless someone is willing to continue paying out their own pocket

If they reach the championship will probably decide how this Hollywood project turns out .

Different gravy the championship with value for money anything but guaranteed .

They may well strike lucky as Bournemouth did but then again there's way bigger clubs than Wrexham who haven't made it to the promised land .

I take it as read that Hollywood haven't bought the club to scratch around in the championship .

That just doesn't fit with the owners fame .

This is about going all the way or why would you bother .

Two play off failures at championship level and £50m out of pocket will see them looking at this project another way .

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 22, 2023, 10:52:48 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Unless they have other backers I don’t see how they can fund a promotion to the Prem. They are rich but not Russian Oligarch rich. Unless Disney are paying stupid money that is

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 22, 2023, 10:53:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The test of any ownership and the fan base is when fixtures become routine. When the momentum slows or stops, sooner or later the gap between income and expenditure grows  so the owners become stretched even further. There's only so many documentaries you can make about a rags to riches story so that income has limited life.

Wrexham will find their level at some point and good luck to them. They've waited long enough.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 22, 2023, 10:58:41 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
That’s what happened with Lincoln. They were going like a train when they came into L1 and had a really good season. Then gravity told and they settled there now.

Wrexham are big enough to sustain L1 football without owners throwing unusually big money at it imo.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 22, 2023, 11:21:51 pm by tyke1962 »
Wealth will almost guarantee that Wrexham will reach the championship , they may well be some bumps in the road along the way  but inevitably they will probably get there with Hollywood money .

My gut instinct tells me they probably aren't prepared for the animal that is the championship despite their wealth .

Probably the most unfair and mental league in Europe and possibly the world .

Upstarts with 15 years previous at NL level and playing with the big boys is another thing altogether .

They are undoubtedly a big club in the NL and  league two with potential at league one level but at championship level I don't know so much .

There's no sleeping giant going on here as far as I can see .

This is Bournemouth territory , it's not even Brentford territory because Brentford had a plan with a continuous improvement and patience .

They may well strike lucky as Bournemouth did but they may not either .

Gut wrenching defeats in championship play offs isn't written in to Hollywood films .

Most of it is pure fantasy .

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on April 22, 2023, 11:45:51 pm by Jimmydee »
At least it’s a big economic boost for the town of Wrexham with the American influx, the hotels, pubs, cafe’s restaurants will be booming,  it also creates more jobs as well as the feel good factor.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 23, 2023, 08:26:33 am by drfchound »
Would any of our fans swap places with Wrexham right now.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 23, 2023, 10:24:58 am by tyke1962 »
Would any of our fans swap places with Wrexham right now.

Certainly got to be an exciting time right now at Wrexham after so many years in the doldrums .

The fans are guaranteed to see major investment in the team and the ground brought up to standard .

I think we'd all have a piece of that kind of action if our clubs were embarking on such a journey with a huge budget and media interest .

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 23, 2023, 02:47:07 pm by BigH »
Too right! I’m jealous.

It doesn’t matter who’s behind it and that it will come to a sad end in time. For now, the club and town are absolutely buzzing and the footballs great.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on April 23, 2023, 06:10:59 pm by roversdude »
Genuine question but does FFP even exist and what are the implications of not following it (sorry that was two questions). If the pelanty is a fine it just won’t work

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 23, 2023, 06:19:52 pm by adamtherover »
No FFP in non league..

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 25, 2023, 01:01:46 am by les@donr »
Comparison to Rushden & Diamonds comes to mind.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 25, 2023, 01:35:41 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Comparison to Rushden & Diamonds comes to mind.

Yes and they got the boot lliterally -- could say the boot was on the other foot when they went back down the leagues  :)

The question is how long before Wrexham become a wreck and the owners will have a choice to jump from either the first or the second letter "O" of Hollywood?

Does anyone know which song I have nicked that Hollywood line  from. Someone woman sang it pre 1980

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 25, 2023, 03:25:50 am by Sammy Chung was King »
There is a balance between having a go and going too far with the debt. It’s about knowing when the right time is to start taking control of outgoings, while still maintaining success on the pitch. It doesn’t matter how well things are going behind the scenes, if the team on the pitch isn’t doing it then the owners will be judged by that.

Our club isn’t getting that and haven’t been for some while. The club Doncaster model is supposed to be making a lot of money, why are we not seeing the development of the team on the pitch with this?
To be a success you need a clever board and owner, who get lucky with the manager, they choose to get the right players in.

We have failed with that for some time, because the board have decided to risk what they do put in, with inexperienced managers, because they refuse to pay the wages an experienced manager would need to take the role.
It’s false economy because money is being wasted. Also the monies given to the manager as in wages available have been reduced heavily as we have been relegated.

To get back on an even keel. We need experience at the helm, and the board must provide the funds to compete again. Lowering expectations like some want us to do will lead us to the conference and a whole world of trouble that we will have trouble getting out of..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012