Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 07:32:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wrexham  (Read 8811 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Wrexham
« Reply #60 on April 25, 2023, 08:09:41 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Would any of our fans swap places with Wrexham right now.

To swap places with them, you'd have to serve the 15 years in the wildernesses first! The gravity of what they are doing isn't the same without that. This is probably one of the main factors they chose Wrexham in the first place. I wonder what Chester City fans think about it all?

Slightly unfair on Notts County as they are not getting the coverage for their achievement too.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 25, 2023, 04:23:20 pm by drfchound »
Would any of our fans swap places with Wrexham right now.

To swap places with them, you'd have to serve the 15 years in the wildernesses first! The gravity of what they are doing isn't the same without that. This is probably one of the main factors they chose Wrexham in the first place. I wonder what Chester City fans think about it all?

Slightly unfair on Notts County as they are not getting the coverage for their achievement too.

Yep agreed, we served our few years in the wilderness and were probably in a much worse place than Wrexham  were.
I bet some people were sick of hearing about John Ryan back then too but he did a job which is exactly what the new Wrexham owners are doing.
It’s just a shame that JR didn’t have as much wealth as they do.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 25, 2023, 06:25:28 pm by scawsby steve »
There's no comparison between Wrexham and Rushden & Diamonds.

Wrexham has a football history, whereas R & D was an amalgamation of two very small non-league clubs, and was always competing with Northampton Town for fans.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 25, 2023, 06:44:21 pm by Draytonian III »
I think the comparison with R & D is that it’s all going to end in tears, like it did for them

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on April 25, 2023, 07:40:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The easy bit is getting there. The hard bit, is staying there.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 25, 2023, 07:53:59 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Wrexham has a football history, whereas R & D was an amalgamation of two very small non-league clubs, and was always competing with Northampton Town for fans.

funnily the R & D owner owned Doc Martins and Northampton is known for making shoes  -- "not a lot of people know that "   :coat:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 25, 2023, 08:06:18 pm by scawsby steve »

funnily the R & D owner owned Doc Martins and Northampton is known for making shoes  -- "not a lot of people know that "   :coat:

Is that why they got "booted" out of the league?

I'll get mi coat; and maybe some Diazepam.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 25, 2023, 08:34:52 pm by les@donr »
If everything goes belly up. will they be known as 'wreaksome'.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 25, 2023, 08:48:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
I don't begrudge them getting out of the National League, as they've had a rough ride for a long time now. The way they got out of that level is not really anything to be applauded. They sold themselves to be a product for a load of American entertainment industry cash. Hope we hammer them next season.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 26, 2023, 04:35:22 pm by scawsby steve »
I don't begrudge them getting out of the National League, as they've had a rough ride for a long time now. The way they got out of that level is not really anything to be applauded. They sold themselves to be a product for a load of American entertainment industry cash. Hope we hammer them next season.

We won't be hammering anyone next season, CBCB.

I hope I'm wrong though, and I'll hold my hand up if I am.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on April 26, 2023, 04:44:48 pm by moses »
I do wonder if the owners enjoy it so much when they are losing 3-0 at home to Wigan and the fans boo them off.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 26, 2023, 05:30:43 pm by scawsby steve »
I don't think we're in a position to sneer at any club at the moment, with the f*cking state we're in.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on April 26, 2023, 08:22:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think we're in a position to sneer at any club at the moment, with the f*cking state we're in.

Exactly. We're great at sneering at our own club even when things have been much better.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 26, 2023, 08:28:21 pm by drfchound »
I saw on the news this morning mention of a tweet by one of the Wrexham owners.
He was sending a message to Gareth Bale suggesting that he might consider coming out of retirement to play for Wrexham next season.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on April 27, 2023, 01:42:10 pm by normal rules »
Rob mcilhenny tweeted @garethbale asking him to go play golf with him where he would “not spend 4 hours trying to get him to un retire for one magical
Season . “

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 27, 2023, 08:20:12 pm by scawsby steve »

Exactly. We're great at sneering at our own club even when things have been much better.

I can't remember so many people refusing to renew their STs, or even asking for refunds, before this season, Baz.

Our club's in a bloody awful state at the moment, that's why people are sneering.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on April 27, 2023, 09:02:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I can't remember so many people refusing to renew their STs, or even asking for refunds, before this season, Baz.

Our club's in a bloody awful state at the moment, that's why people are sneering.

I'm not talking about this season, I'm talking about many previous seasons , even in the JR era. This forum is full of sneers over the years. It's never good enough for some.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on April 27, 2023, 10:00:03 pm by drfchound »

I'm not talking about this season, I'm talking about many previous seasons , even in the JR era. This forum is full of sneers over the years. It's never good enough for some.

But isn’t that true of life in general Baz.
There are always people who want to have a moan about something.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on April 28, 2023, 10:53:17 am by selby »
  Wrexham were very very lucky apparently, according to Jeff Stelling on Talksport this morning, the owners originally made an offer for Hartlepool but the owner wanted too much money.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on May 02, 2023, 08:56:27 pm by normal rules »
I’m getting tired of the recsum “love in. “
The Welsh have a general dislike for all things English . And I’d even stretch that to hatred amongst some.
They may have the oldest league ground in the world and are headed up with two Hollywood stars. So what ?
I expect them to have significant invest,ent into next season. Not a fixture to look forward to.
No time for them. At all.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on May 02, 2023, 09:20:33 pm by scawsby steve »
I’m getting tired of the recsum “love in. “
The Welsh have a general dislike for all things English . And I’d even stretch that to hatred amongst some.
They may have the oldest league ground in the world and are headed up with two Hollywood stars. So what ?
I expect them to have significant invest,ent into next season. Not a fixture to look forward to.
No time for them. At all.

Regarding that 2nd sentence, NR, you're dead right. I'll never forget when Iceland beat us in the Euros. A video emerged of the Wales players celebrating as though they'd won the Euros themselves.

That's why I was chuffed when they were crap at the last World Cup.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 02, 2023, 10:25:37 pm by VivaRovers »

Not true, and also not true. I wouldn't flatter yourselves.

There is however a huge dislike of being othered by and against England and of and English-centric media. And when it comes to major football tournaments, having to see every tournament through the English-gaze.

The happiness at seeing England go out to Iceland which Scawsby mentions was fuelled by the latter of those. The moment Wales and England were drawn in the same group at Euro 2016 it ceased being Group B and started being 'England's group' in a supposedly 'British' media. If you had that put on you all the time, and had all the questions you faced in press conferences at your big tournament framed in relation to England's team, players and progress, you'd be glad to see the back of them. Myself and every Wales fan I know would much rather never see Wales play England ever again than see Wales beat England... it's not hatred, it's annoyance.

As for Wrexham, the effect that Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney's investment in the club has had on the town is absolutely incredible. There's just a huge buzz about the place that centres on the football team and its fortunes; everyone wants to be part of it, to the extent that 9,500 turned up to watch their women's team last month. Every kid in my nephew's class at school, including him, tells you they're a Wrexham fan. Some things the owners have done I don't agree with, but if you step foot in Wrexham you can't help but be blown away by the current connection between people and club. I'd give anything for that.

That said, the constant reporting and hyping of everything that's connected to the club in local, national and British media is becoming tiresome. But it's more an indictment of the state of much journalism in the UK than it is any fault of the club. Websites are mentioning the club and their owners, and their various other celebrity hangers on at every opportunity to try and harvest clicks; they're creating stories out of next to nothing because they know enough people will click on it.

If you're tired of all that in Doncaster imagine how I feel; my local newspaper had more than 25 different 'stories' about Wrexham in the week after their promotion alone.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 10:27:44 pm by VivaRovers »

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 02, 2023, 10:38:28 pm by Plumbster »
I think every individual’s experience varies- in my experience we are hated by the Welsh and the Scottish. I love the Wrexham story btw

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 02, 2023, 10:39:05 pm by TheFunk »
I'll never forget walking in to a pub in Denbigh at lunchtime about 5 years ago. We asked for a table for four only to be told they were full. There were four blokes stood at the bar and nobody else in there.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on May 02, 2023, 10:46:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Not true, and also not true. I wouldn't flatter yourselves.

There is however a huge dislike of being othered by and against England and of and English-centric media. And when it comes to major football tournaments, having to see every tournament through the English-gaze.

The happiness at seeing England go out to Iceland which Scawsby mentions was fuelled by the latter of those. The moment Wales and England were drawn in the same group at Euro 2016 it ceased being Group B and started being 'England's group' in a supposedly 'British' media. If you had that put on you all the time, and had all the questions you faced in press conferences at your big tournament framed in relation to England's team, players and progress, you'd be glad to see the back of them. Myself and every Wales fan I know would much rather never see Wales play England ever again than see Wales beat England... it's not hatred, it's annoyance.

As for Wrexham, the effect that Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney's investment in the club has had on the town is absolutely incredible. There's just a huge buzz about the place that centres on the football team and its fortunes; everyone wants to be part of it, to the extent that 9,500 turned up to watch their women's team last month. Every kid in my nephew's class at school, including him, tells you they're a Wrexham fan. Some things the owners have done I don't agree with, but if you step foot in Wrexham you can't help but be blown away by the current connection between people and club. I'd give anything for that.

That said, the constant reporting and hyping of everything that's connected to the club in local, national and British media is becoming tiresome. But it's more an indictment of the state of much journalism in the UK than it is any fault of the club. Websites are mentioning the club and their owners, and their various other celebrity hangers on at every opportunity to try and harvest clicks; they're creating stories out of next to nothing because they know enough people will click on it.

If you're tired of all that in Doncaster imagine how I feel; my local newspaper had more than 25 different 'stories' about Wrexham in the week after their promotion alone.

It's great for Wrexham but I was shocked the BBC were covering their Open Top Bus parade live!

I'm all for good news stories in the current climate but that's OTT.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 02, 2023, 10:52:28 pm by VivaRovers »
I'll never forget walking in to a pub in Denbigh at lunchtime about 5 years ago. We asked for a table for four only to be told they were full. There were four blokes stood at the bar and nobody else in there.

That's not anti-English, they just have standards in Denbigh ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 10:56:00 pm by VivaRovers »

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 02, 2023, 10:55:10 pm by VivaRovers »
I was shocked the BBC were covering their Open Top Bus parade live!
I'm all for good news stories in the current climate but that's OTT.

Agreed. This is exactly the sort of thing I was alluding to.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on May 02, 2023, 11:13:18 pm by Chris Black come back »
In the same way it really doesn’t bother me at all that Radio Sheffield spends most of their time focused on United and Wednesday due to them being by far the biggest and most successful clubs in South Yorkshire, should people in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland really expect anything else in terms of coverage of England?

It makes up 85pc of the UK population and has not only won the World Cup but got to the final of the Euros, as well as qualified for every single major tournament in nearly three decades.

I’ve never followed England anywhere and have only seen England play live once, but Wales stank out Qatar and were one of the worst teams there. Likewise Scotland were terrible in the Euros. These were rank bad performances and yet still got loads of coverage.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on May 02, 2023, 11:14:32 pm by Draytonian III »
In the late 80s - early 90s one of the supporters buses had been booked into a pub 10/15 miles outside of Wrexham, when we get there me and a mate spot another pub over the road so we make for that whilst everyone else is thronged in the other. When we walk in no one gives us a second glance as everyone is having a pint and watching the racing on television, but when I go and order two lagers with my English accent everyone starts talking in Welsh .

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 02, 2023, 11:22:03 pm by VivaRovers »
In the same way it really doesn’t bother me at all that Radio Sheffield spends most of their time focused on United and Wednesday due to them being by far the biggest and most successful clubs in South Yorkshire, should people in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland really expect anything else in terms of coverage of England?

If Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday's achievements/underachievements were constantly projected at you like they were your team and the team you should be supporting and following, and the team through whose lens you should view the rest of the Football League, then you'd have a like for like comparison, and I suspect you'd soon be sick of it.

Wales were awful in Qatar yes, but that shouldn't dictate the amount of coverage a team gets. The rest of the world had to sit through England's performances in South Africa after all.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012