Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 02:12:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Stevenage game  (Read 4957 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Stevenage game
« Reply #30 on April 17, 2023, 11:15:19 pm by dickos1 »
Well done, Dickos. You’ve underlined one of the reasons why DS should never been given the job.

Inexperience.

The fact that he’s got other ‘issues’ that have been discussed on the forum seem to have passed you by, but, at least, one of them has stuck. That is progress.

Not really, if clubs only appointed managers with experience then arsenal wouldn’t be top of the prem, we would’ve never had the day out at stoke, Bournemouth wouldn’t be having such a great season in the prem,

It’s a very basic viewpoint to simply think managers are only any good if they’ve got experience

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 17, 2023, 11:58:35 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Dickos: I don’t think you can claim DS has been a successful coach to suit his defence on one thread and then argue against the need for experience on another.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 18, 2023, 02:05:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Inexperience is ok as long as you show improvement over time. Unfortunately Danny hasn’t improved over the season, it has just got worse. Yes he has lost players to injury but the deterioration set in before we got injuries.

He has stuck dogmatically to a system, that doesn’t suit his players. He wants them to play a short passing game. I love that way of playing but you must have the players capable of doing it.

I don’t care what the board said, if there is no improvement before the end of the season, I fear for his future with us. I wanted it to work but it has been a disaster this season.
Rovers 7/1 to beat Stevenage if you things could change around.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:15:36 am by Sammy Chung was King »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 18, 2023, 08:33:42 am by steve@dcfd »
If we win tonight and Orient do the same then Richie’s team will be Champions.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 18, 2023, 09:24:29 am by normal rules »
Hope we lose  by biggest margin ever

This is the kind of toxicity that’s been talked about on another thread.

I suspect UR should have put a caveat on his comment. Such as “ IF it means it expedites the removal of DS”

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 18, 2023, 09:37:55 am by Campsall rover »
It’s not the passing game i am against.
Yes playing out from the back is madness though.

The problem is the 5-2-3 system.

1) We have 3 centre backs. Not Needed.
2) We have 2 central midfielders and the opposition almost always have 3 so we are outnumbered.
3) We play one central striker who isn’t physically strong enough to play that role.

He should have changed it to either 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 
It’s glaringly obvious to ( me anyway ) those formations would have much more chance of success with the players we currently have.

Nothing wrong with a passing game at all. We don’t have the players to play long ball do we? There is no big man up front to hold the ball up or win lots of headers.

We have got some decent technical footballers, so i do understand why he wants to play as he does but it is the formation that’s the problem imo.

If we are going to play a passing game you have to play at a much quicker tempo than we do. There has to be much more movement off the ball to play a passing game.
We need control in midfield. We have none when it’s constantly 2v3

We are quite obviously short of 3/4 players that would make us a top team in this league but there is absolutely no excuses for the dross that has been served up under this coach and the position in the league we are going to finish in this season.
None whatsoever.
The man is so blinkered, inflexible and stubborn sticking to a way of playing that doesn’t work it suggests to me that he doesn’t listen to others doesn’t learn from mistakes.
He is going to do it his way no matter what results it achieves.
That to me is beyond stupid. It’s madness. It will get the backs up of the players as well as supporters.
Players are not all stupid. They have opinions. If they are not listened to and are not comfortable in the way they are being asked to play then the result is exactly what we are seeing.

The man has to go.
This situation cannot be allowed to spill over into next season imo.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 18, 2023, 09:51:11 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Taking a big chance playing three at the back, if Danny does as I suspect, with the formation Stevenage play 4-1-2-1-2.
At wing back do you carry on with Molyneux and Seaman? Or does Brown come in on the right?
I don’t think we with the options we have that there will be many changes. Moving Molyneux further forward and playing safer with Brown and Seaman on the left could be one of the only changes.

Barlow you would think has to start. Agard for his experience.
Personally I think I would start with the side that started against Harrogate. Hope to get a lead in the game. Then start putting recognised full backs in. It could be dodgy at times. An inexperienced back line. One full back who is really a winger.
Can Agard hold onto the ball up there? We need him to. Westbrooke and Barlow need to perform. Ravenhill has to be disciplined in the midfield with Close.

You can expect our defenders and goalkeeper to be heavily tested. The midfield is going to have to work hard to keep the ball up the other end and protect the defence. At the prices offered we have a chance, but we are going to have to be very good for the full game to come away with a result. We shouldn’t be in this situation talking like Stevenage are Barcelona but that’s how poor we’ve been.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 09:53:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Tom-RTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 18, 2023, 09:56:20 am by Tom-RTID »

2) We have 2 central midfielders and the opposition almost always have 3 so we are outnumbered.
3) We play one central striker who isn’t physically strong enough to play that role.

It’s glaringly obvious to ( me anyway ) those formations would have much more chance of success with the players we currently have.

Nothing wrong with a passing game at all. We don’t have the players to play long ball do we? There is no big man up front to hold the ball up or win lots of headers.

We have got some decent technical footballers, so i do understand why he wants to play as he does but it is the formation that’s the problem imo.

If we are going to play a passing game you have to play at a much quicker tempo than we do. There has to be much more movement off the ball to play a passing game.

We are quite obviously short of 3/4 players that would make us a top team in this league but there is absolutely no excuses for the dross that has been served up under this coach and the position in the league we are going to finish in this season.
None whatsoever.
The man is so blinkered, inflexible and stubborn sticking to a way of playing that doesn’t work it suggests to me that he doesn’t listen to others doesn’t learn from mistakes.
That to me is beyond stupid. It’s madness. It will get the backs up of the players as well as supporters.
Players are not all stupid. They have opinions. If they are not listened to and are not comfortable in the way they are being asked to play then the result is exactly what we are seeing.

The man has to go.

And yet after Harrogate he claimed it was just key moments where we came up short and "Nothing too much tactically from my point of view"  :headbang: Very worrying! It was obvious to everyone he needed to change something in that second half to get back some sort of control, yet did nothing!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 18, 2023, 10:26:14 am by Campsall rover »

None whatsoever.

The man has to go.

And yet after Harrogate he claimed it was just key moments where we came up short and "Nothing too much tactically from my point of view"  :headbang: Very worrying! It was obvious to everyone he needed to change something in that second half to get back some sort of control, yet did nothing!
Absolutely.
He is so frighteningly tactically naive it’s beyond worrying.
We could see what what required on Saturday but he couldn’t.

He is the man with the coaching badges who has played the game as a professional in the EFL not us.
I am lost for words.

And Copps is going to stick with him. Seriously concerning. 

And Blunt hasn’t got the inclination to see the big picture and do anything about it.
He can’t or refuses to see what we as supporters all see.  Why? Does he think it will suddenly come good if another 1 million pound is thrown into the kitty. ( that figure is just off top of my head I have no idea what TB is putting in extra for next seasons playing budget. )
Does Blunt think people will buy season tickets if DS is still in charge of the team for next season?

Where is the vision from the Chairman. What does he seriously want for this football club?
We have heard nothing but sound bites from him. We need action, we need to see that the true vision for this club is what our supporters expect and deserve it to be.

We have no divine right to be a Championship Club, or even a League 1 club. No club does.
But we do expect our board to be making every possible effort to achieve the very best that this football club can be.

We need to see some serious ambition.
It’s time for action.  Time is running out imo. Do we go up or do we go down even further to a place where we may never recover from.

Blunt over to you. We are waiting.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 18, 2023, 12:33:21 pm by adamtherover »

None whatsoever.

The man has to go.

I'm on the Facebook grassroots football page, and on numourous occasions I've read coaches saying howing they won't sacrifice their principles and philosophy to go all our for the win!! If they are going to win, it's gonna be the right way!!!! ,. Wtf,. 8 yr olds playing it out from the back, conceding goals left right and centre, cos pep on the sidelines tells them to do!!  Madness!!!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 18, 2023, 01:13:20 pm by selby »
  Our mid field have been disciplined all season, they have not done much, especially when not having the ball, in fact barely moved in the direction of the ball.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 18, 2023, 01:44:23 pm by normal rules »
I’ve had a look at orients goal scorers this season. Their top 7 all have minimum 35 games played each, to date.
Rovers are in desperate need of players that don’t get injured and can play week in week out.
I went to the orient away game. They were nothing special. But playing regularly I guess makes a big diff to performance and consistency.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 18, 2023, 02:09:52 pm by Campsall rover »
I’ve had a look at orients goal scorers this season. Their top 7 all have minimum 35 games played each, to date.
Rovers are in desperate need of players that don’t get injured and can play week in week out.
I went to the orient away game. They were nothing special. But playing regularly I guess makes a big diff to performance and consistency.
It does but there is more to it than that NR.

We have a coach who is out of his depth. He is not coaching the U18s now. It’s a different ball game. Literally.
It’s a results business and the sooner he wakes up to the reality of that the better. But the question is will he? Is he capable? We have seen no evidence.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 18, 2023, 02:15:26 pm by Campsall rover »
Right I am off to catch the Beehive Coach at Carcroft.

Love to come back with a smile on my face tonight but think we will do well to keep it to 3-0.

Up the Rovers.  :rtid:

welloffside

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 18, 2023, 02:37:38 pm by welloffside »

Well everybody, here we go.

I'm taking my grandson Max Evans to his first Rovers match tonight.

(We live near St. Evenage) 

Big shout out for Max please! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 18, 2023, 03:00:39 pm by Chris Black come back »
I will pray for him.

welloffside

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 18, 2023, 03:50:18 pm by welloffside »

CBcb,

My grandson had a try-out at St. Evenage academy a year or so ago, so he keeps an eye on them.  If you hear reports of an elderly Donny Supporter threatening to leave a sobbing young child by the side of the road after the game, that's me.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 18, 2023, 04:45:08 pm by normal rules »
What a wonderful occasion for you and max.
Character building as we used to say in the Army .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 18, 2023, 04:49:23 pm by drfchound »

None whatsoever.

The man has to go.

I’m of the belief that anytime someone scores a goal that it is a key moment in the game.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 18, 2023, 05:11:05 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Well everybody, here we go.

I'm taking my grandson Max Evans to his first Rovers match tonight.

(We live near St. Evenage) 

Big shout out for Max please! :woohoo: :woohoo:

keep your ears open pre-match I have just tried to get him a pre-match welcome mention

welloffside

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 18, 2023, 05:28:45 pm by welloffside »

CLH,

Thank you.  Kind gesture, much appreciated.                 Welloffside

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 18, 2023, 08:32:56 pm by ScillyRover »
What an abysmal first half that was from Rovers.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 18, 2023, 08:35:04 pm by Upton Rover »
Does this coach and team know that there’s a net and goal posts at each end of the pitch, and the idea is to have as many shots at that net so we score, almost halftime and I’ve switched player off
Shots- big fat zero
Shots on target - As above
Corners - big fat zero
First team coach rating - big fat zero

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 18, 2023, 08:38:57 pm by mpc123 »
Nobody in their right mind can defend the performances since DS took over.

He is nothing but terrible, with and without injuries.

Any other club he would have been got rid of sometime ago and I'd go as far as any other club in the position we was he wouldn't have even been looked at.

This performance as again as dull as the others.

We are nothing about of aweful

Nothing to do with the budget or players, it is DS.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 18, 2023, 08:49:37 pm by LincsRover »
I can imagine the team talk before the game : now lads, this is one of the tallest teams in the league who like to play hoofball at its most direct. So we are going to counter that by playing them at their own game. Get it in the air as much as possible and, Agard, you’ll be on your own up there trying to beat those 6’7” & 6’4” defenders with no rovers player within 50 yards of you. Ok?? And do everything really slowly, they like to close players down but don’t worry about that, keep it nice and pedestrian. Go out there and bore them to death boys!

Here watching on iFollow they’re certainly doing that to me!! Ffs!!!  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 18, 2023, 09:07:57 pm by Retdon1 »
0-1 down, 30 mins to go and we’re 100/1 to win. Wow

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 18, 2023, 09:10:11 pm by LincsRover »
I’m trying to tempt fate here (I’d love to be proven wrong!) but it might as well be a million to one because to my eye we could play till this time tomorrow and not score two goals.  :rolleyes:

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 18, 2023, 09:40:58 pm by Avsuptem »
There was nothing whatsoever to enjoy about watching that game.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on April 19, 2023, 06:36:40 am by roversdude »
That was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. From both sides.
Question - do the guys wearing Rovers shirts actually train together because that looked like 11 strangers stuck out in a field - absolutely pathetic

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 19, 2023, 06:56:40 am by Upton Rover »
Any fan who wants their own team to lose ….I’m genuinely lost for words.
Beam me up Scotty
Any fan that keeps paying hard earned money to watch this first team tart (Rylan lookalike) needs help.
I’m genuinely lost for words
Beam me up Scotty

TinyPortal © 2005-2012