Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 01:54:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Stevenage game  (Read 4953 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Stevenage game
« Reply #60 on April 19, 2023, 07:08:42 am by dickos1 »
Any fan who wants their own team to lose ….I’m genuinely lost for words.
Beam me up Scotty
Any fan that keeps paying hard earned money to watch this first team tart (Rylan lookalike) needs help.
I’m genuinely lost for words
Beam me up Scotty

That’s what a proper supporter does, he doesn’t just rock up when things are all rosy

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 19, 2023, 01:18:11 pm by Upton Rover »
Any fan who wants their own team to lose ….I’m genuinely lost for words.
Beam me up Scotty
Any fan that keeps paying hard earned money to watch this first team tart (Rylan lookalike) needs help.
I’m genuinely lost for words
Beam me up Scotty

That’s what a proper supporter does, he doesn’t just rock up when things are all rosy
Nothing to do we Rosie, Dikos it’s about some inapt staff including the hof that doesn’t have a clue how to get the best out of the players available, this bunch of modern day Robin Hoods are clueless, I sooner give my money to a good charity, rather than watch this shit,your one of a few that love this setup your a day dream believer

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 19, 2023, 08:12:31 pm by ravenrover »
Ooh you cheeky little Monkee!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 19, 2023, 08:43:13 pm by drfchound »
I’ve just remembered something I saw in the Stevenage game.
An amazing burst of pace by Todd Miller.
He picked up a ball in our half and set off on a run in which he left several players in his wake.
He gave the last man about ten yards start, pushed the ball past him and left him for dead.
It was only the foresight of the Stevenage keeper that stopped him getting through one on one.
I don’t think I have ever seen a Rovers player run as fast.
Surprising that no one has mentioned it.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 19, 2023, 08:47:15 pm by Upton Rover »
He picked up a ball in our half and set off on a run in which he left several players in his wake.
He gave the last man about ten yards start, pushed the ball past him and left him for dead.
It was only the foresight of the Stevenage keeper that stopped him getting through one on one.
Surly if the keeper stopped him, he was 1 on 1?
Running fast is not the answer

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 19, 2023, 08:51:27 pm by drfchound »
Surly if the keeper stopped him, he was 1 on 1?
Running fast is not the answer

The keeper raced out of the box and belted the ball upfield.
Miller never had the ball at his feet after he went past the last defender.
I never said that running fast was the answer although I’m not sure what you thought it was the answer to.
I was just commenting on how unusually quick he was.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 19, 2023, 09:18:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
I saw that. He basically lost control at one point. Good pace though yes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on April 19, 2023, 09:46:45 pm by selby »
  The main thing we need to get out of the last few games is improvement, now last night d efensively we played a lot bettermaking Stevenage play across the front of our back line, and only rarely did they get behind.
  We were however poor going forward with no joined up play from back to front and lacked any serious threat to their defence in their area.
   Williams and Faulkner had very good second halves. and the keeper was better than of late, Molineux and Brown worked hard, in front of them we had very little Goodman again did well with very little service.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on April 19, 2023, 10:02:34 pm by roversdude »
By the way how poorly supported were Stevenage to say they were pushing for automatic promotion. Had to chuckle when they sang “Everywhere we go” when they don’t really go anywhere

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 19, 2023, 10:13:51 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It’s confusing how with our attendances and off the field revenue that was better than most in L1 we are so far off it. that’s why I can’t buy Copps comment about budget been lower than 10th. Unless every club in the league has a owner stumping up a couple of million a year…maybe they do but seems unlikely

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on April 19, 2023, 10:28:31 pm by Donnywolf »

I was looking at the floor hoping I hadn't lost my return bus Ticket , but in the same instance dreading 2.5 hours with my knees under my chin then 30 minutes more to home for what had been another very poor watch for Rovers fans

Seriously Hound yes I noticed. He was as fast as ...... well you know what.

It didn't come across as really noticeable as it would have been if we have been side on though

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 19, 2023, 11:09:56 pm by ForsolongaRover »

I was looking at the floor hoping I hadn't lost my return bus Ticket , but in the same instance dreading 2.5 hours with my knees under my chin then 30 minutes more to home for what had been another very poor watch for Rovers fans

It didn't come across as really noticeable as it would have been if we have been side on though

Because it was so startlingly uncharacteristic of the usual ponderous style it stood out for me too - an unusual moment of excitement! Having seen it, you wonder if he would be praised for initiative or called out for stepping outside the process. It did remind you that under Moore for example, we have seen our teams successfully making use of pacy attacking. Oh for a bit more exciting football!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 20, 2023, 07:11:57 am by ncRover »
5-3-2

Brown
Nelson
RSW
Long
Seaman

Rowe
Close
Ravenhill

Goodman
Todd Miller

Low block and try to hit them on the break with pace up top. I think defending in this way is a strength of Ro-Shaun. That’s what a flexible manager would do in this situation.

Can bring Hurst / Molyneux on for fresh legs up top.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:16:03 am by ncRover »

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 20, 2023, 09:03:47 am by Canadian Rover »

I think we were all shocked to see a player sprinting. Think about it... How much of our game do we see players really sprint?

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on April 20, 2023, 09:18:19 am by Plumbster »
I thought it had the air of a manic JT sortie

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on April 20, 2023, 09:23:54 am by selby »
  NCRover I will take you to task with that team, you have picked Long who had  bad games at Harrogate and Stevenage and cost a goal at Harrogate, and Nelson who was hooked at half time after being mullered by a physical specimen playing up front by Stevenage who for 45 minutes owned him.
  And Newport will be coming  with a 13 stone lump of gristle hell bent on retribution after the way he was treated here in Omar Bogle.
  The one player who matched the Stevenage physicality for 90 minutes was Bobby Faulkner, aided in the  second half by Ro Shaun together keeping us in the game, and after Faulkner also played well at Harrogate.
  I hope you just forgot him when picking the team, if not I hope you will excuse me if I think its just nuts.
  I also see you left Barlow out after one no worse than anyone else in mid field game just two games after he scored two worldies and was MOM in the two previous games  for a sprinter who otherwise never touched the ball, smacks of chucking the names up in the air and picking who lands first to me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:30:36 am by selby »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 20, 2023, 09:35:49 am by ncRover »
I actually forgot Barlow but that’s probably because I just hate the current 5-2-3 shape Selby. If Barlow is on the pitch they will just default to that formation. That being said I’d put him in midfield over Ravenhill who doesn’t look up to it I’m sorry to say.

Bobby has looked a bit erratic to me last few games. I put Long in based on him being left-footed. I’ve explained Williams and I just think Nelson is ahead of Bobby. That’s no slander on Bobby.

I’ve also just realised I’ve posted on the wrong thread too. I’m tired so I’ll come back another day.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:52:13 am by ncRover »

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on April 20, 2023, 10:48:41 am by moses »
  NCRover I will take you to task with that team, you have picked Long who had  bad games at Harrogate and Stevenage and cost a goal at Harrogate, and Nelson who was hooked at half time after being mullered by a physical specimen playing up front by Stevenage who for 45 minutes owned him.
  And Newport will be coming  with a 13 stone lump of gristle hell bent on retribution after the way he was treated here in Omar Bogle.
  The one player who matched the Stevenage physicality for 90 minutes was Bobby Faulkner, aided in the  second half by Ro Shaun together keeping us in the game, and after Faulkner also played well at Harrogate.
  I hope you just forgot him when picking the team, if not I hope you will excuse me if I think its just nuts.
  I also see you left Barlow out after one no worse than anyone else in mid field game just two games after he scored two worldies and was MOM in the two previous games  for a sprinter who otherwise never touched the ball, smacks of chucking the names up in the air and picking who lands first to me.

Selby I really like Bobby he gives everything, attacks the ball, put a tackle in. If there is not a place for him when we are playing 3 centre halves in this team, his time is up an Donny Rovers under this coach. I play with some young lads who played with Bobby up to a couple of years ago who are decent, get paid for playing and they all think Bobby is light years ahead of any of them or their mates who are playing for Championship academies at 18.

He is technically raw though and almost a bit too eager to attack the ball sometimes but I think that looks worse due to the other centre halves leaving it to him to do the dirty work because they don't want to and don't want the lost duel on their stats. Imagine him with a Steve Nicol or a Jamie McCombe talking him through the game rather than Williams/Long. Saying no wait Booby, just jockey or Matt Mills to tell him to attack the ball and he would tidy up the pieces.

He does need work on the ball but some of that is confidence which has not been helped by the coach Nelson is better on the ball more composed but lacks the attack. If you could merge them, the product would be playing for Donny in the fourth tier.

Given losing all the rest of the games won't lead to relegation or (seemingly) the coach being sacked, the coach would be crackers to not be developing the player who is contracted for us not rather than a premier league team.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on April 20, 2023, 07:50:39 pm by ravenrover »
I get the impression, Selby will put me right on this, that because of his size and build Faulkener won everything in his age group/ level he was playing at be it in the air or floor. He would be dominant. Is this the reason he tries so hard to get his head on everything and try to tackle strongly at every opportunity? Is he that used to winning everything at the.level he has been playing at that he is now finding it's not as easy at the next step up? There are times to attack the ball and times to drop off but not all the time for both. He looks a rough diamond to me and with the right coaching could make it or alternatively.......
It's not that hard to be the "best" defender in this team at the moment

TinyPortal © 2005-2012