Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 07:09:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Walsall game  (Read 2688 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Walsall game
« on May 03, 2023, 06:42:39 pm by selby »
  The welcome last game of a poor season that we the supporters have had some hard times to endure, while we have seen some of the worst football for quite some time offered up to us week after week, and little sign of any improvement going forward.
  So the season has just seemed to be drawn out with things festering between the supporters and the management that will take some repairing, the only way really is to present a winning team easier said than done.
  So the game v Walsall on the face of it with little on it apart from pride has a little more on it, we will be looking for signs we can win another game after last weekend's win, and signs of who might or might not be retained, although last weeks team deserve another chance surely after winning, so the substitutes if containing any youngsters might give a clue.
  Unfortunately we have played the majority of our games in our own half of the field, the defence over worked and the mid field mostly terrible as far as showing for the ball, making tackles, and making things difficult for the opposition, even when winning last weekend Close and co were mostly anonymous and poor when not on the ball, and anyone resembling a striker in our team exposed and lonely up front.
  Walsall also find goals hard to come by, but have only lost five games at home all season the best of any team outside the top seven promotion hopefuls so will be a hard place to go and get a result to finish the season off.
  So what can we hope for?
  Would you play the same team? I would at least start with it.
  I would give Goodman a good run out or he might as well play a full game for the u18s instead of getting splinters in his backside learning nothing.
  Nothing at stake, try two up top
  Are you going?
  Thanks for joining in this past season, it has been difficult for me for more reasons than the form of the team to keep interest I hope you enjoy the banter, here is to next season and hopefully better times.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Walsall game
« Reply #1 on May 03, 2023, 08:57:30 pm by scawsby steve »
Thanks for doing this for yet another season, Brian, especially with the horrendous form the team's been in.

Also, I hope your personal problems are easing.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 03, 2023, 09:00:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
Walsall are on an absolutely appalling run of form. They’ve won 1 in 22 league games - that’s right, ONE win in TWENTY TWO league games. They’ve also failed to score in 12 of those 22 league games.

This is a truly terrible side.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 03, 2023, 09:10:18 pm by Thorney »
Walsall are on an absolutely appalling run of form. They’ve won 1 in 22 league games - that’s right, ONE win in TWENTY TWO league games. They’ve also failed to score in 12 of those 22 league games.

Yet its also a side that beat us 2-0 at our place and with a win will finish above us.
Says it all about us

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 03, 2023, 09:12:19 pm by Campsall rover »

They were not terrible before that 22 games started. I thought they were dark horses for a play off place.
They have missed Johnson up front since he got injured. Their goals have completely dried up without him.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 03, 2023, 09:14:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s not a few poor results. It’s a terrible run of form over 22 games. They will probably beat us but Jesus they are on an absolute stinker of a run.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 03, 2023, 09:19:06 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Well it's the refs very first game in the EFL so that might be interesting

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 03, 2023, 09:40:12 pm by Canadian Rover »
I always want us to win or have.

But part of me hopes I have to suffer through watching a boring 0-0 because that will sum things up.

The other part (minor) wants DS to play 5 at the back, lose and never come back to DRFC again so we can move forward (and play forward next season) that I selfishly will have something to look forward to next season and not dread.

The other side of me hopes we play a genuine 4-3-3 or an exciting 4-5-1 with wingers not inside forwards that can't score or offer little physically. A 4-4-2 I'd take too.

Todd Miller and Goodman have been running round like headless chickens... Because that's the instructions not because they believe in the coaching. George Miller has pretty much ran himself into injury in the same kill a forward scenario. Lavery was played injured and Agard misused.

Announce who's not getting a contract and who is offered one. If RSW, Mitchell, Ravenhill, Seaman and Jones are going give them a round of applause and a gentlemen like farewell not dogs abuse.

If Danny does carry on this game dullfily make your feelings known. IF we see some sense of hope he has learnt a thing or two and shows genuine concern for the entertainment of the fans...then we'll I'll leave that to you.

Prediction 0-0

3 shots on target.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 03, 2023, 10:14:41 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes 0-0 or 1-0 either way.
Can’t make my mind up to be honest.

Probably 4-4 draw. Well maybe not. Just remembered who our head coach is.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 04, 2023, 05:46:50 am by Donnywolf »
Posted last night at 9 on "Off topic" Thread

Not going .... Glad I went to old Walsall Ground and Banks Stadium New Years Day years ago

I picked a bad year to go to New Grounds and my a** still regrets the Crawley trip

I would have gone if it was at home but wouldn't cross the road for an away game now

I've had enough this Season even though there seemed to be a bit more interest in the last few games , maybe Players playing for retention (or praying for retention)

But I've been a Supporter as long as JR so I ain't giving up now , and I hope supporters are rewarded with something better next Season however it is achieved
Modify message

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 04, 2023, 07:27:07 am by Scooter »
I’m going to the game but mainly because I’m moving house at the weekend so will be ready for a break, and I’m not fussed about watching wall to wall tv coverage of the coronation

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 04, 2023, 07:49:16 am by Draytonian III »
I’ve got Walsall for promotion on this season’s bet , don’t think I’ll win anything

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 04, 2023, 08:12:05 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

Walsall 2-0 Doncaster Rovers

Thank you for taking the time to do these, Selby. I'd have given up by August.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 04, 2023, 08:41:26 am by Upton Rover »
Boring yawn yawn

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 04, 2023, 08:55:16 am by Campsall rover »
I am going.
Can’t remember when the last time i missed the last game of the season.
It will be over 21 years ago that’s for sure.

Not expecting anything different to normal.
Usual 5 at the back boring football. DS’s trademark.
Is he capable of trying 4-3-1-2  it would seem not.
Wouldn’t it be great if he gave us all a shock and he tried it and we won 3-1 or 3-2 would do or even 2-0 would be great.

I am dreaming aren’t i    Wakey wakey Paul   ;)

MickyNorburys90shat-trick

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 04, 2023, 09:32:12 am by MickyNorburys90shat-trick »
I live in the West Midlands and work with a Walsall fan - before the season started we had a 'friendly' bet on who would finish higher.  I'll be in the home end Monday (another part of the bet being we both had to go in the home end for both games) hoping for a 0-0 (as a win seems impossible) so that we stay above them.

If we do happen to score i'll be the one in the home end celebrating shortly before being punched by my mate.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 04, 2023, 09:45:55 am by idler »
I got an egg thrown on my back there in 1967. There was no segregation then and I think that me and Ray Thomas were about the last Rovers fans there as we lost 4-1. I had a grey suit on to make it worse.
We did get some revenge the next night, Easter Tuesday as we beat them 3-2 in the reverse fixture. That was a worse season than this, I think that we conceded about 117 goals.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 04, 2023, 09:54:57 am by Chris Black come back »
Them were the days. Grey suit to a football match! Kids today should take that as a lesson.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:20:05 am by Chris Black come back »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 04, 2023, 10:26:43 am by selby »
  Probably going straight to the Top Rank dance straight after CBcb,  we enjoyed ourselves in those days, and we knew the different genders and their attractions.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 04, 2023, 11:40:07 am by Upton Rover »
I am going.
Can’t remember when the last time i missed the last game of the season.
It will be over 21 years ago that’s for sure.

Not expecting anything different to normal.
Usual 5 at the back boring football. DS’s trademark.
Is he capable of trying 4-3-1-2  it would seem not.
Wouldn’t it be great if he gave us all a shock and he tried it and we won 3-1 or 3-2 would do or even 2-0 would be great.

I am dreaming aren’t i    Wakey wakey Paul   ;)
The board will keep this clueless excuse as a 1st team coach, if fans don’t make a stance,
I think I may enjoy my football in the Championship next season watching Leeds get beat

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 04, 2023, 01:12:50 pm by swain_drfc »
I live in the West Midlands and work with a Walsall fan - before the season started we had a 'friendly' bet on who would finish higher.  I'll be in the home end Monday (another part of the bet being we both had to go in the home end for both games) hoping for a 0-0 (as a win seems impossible) so that we stay above them.

If we do happen to score i'll be the one in the home end celebrating shortly before being punched by my mate.

I also live down here. Birmingham postcode, so me and my 2 mates are making use of the £5 tickets in the home end! If there was anything riding on the game then we would have gone in the away end but for a £17 saving each we decided to just slum it with the locals. More beer money.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 04, 2023, 01:23:14 pm by roversdude »
Won’t be the same going to an away game and not seeing DW there but I get the reasoning, I’d have missed a few more away games if the young un hadn’t made me go

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 04, 2023, 02:33:45 pm by Prez »
Can we just not “do a Bolton” and not turn up?

Save everyone’s misery.

Absolute meaningless game for both sides. Thank god this season is almost over.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 04, 2023, 03:13:57 pm by oggycompton »
Never been less interested in a game of football in my life. If I had to bet (I won't be), a comfortable win for 'an appaling' Walsall 2-0

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 04, 2023, 03:23:13 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Think DS should give Goodman and Kuleya a start for the sake of keeping some interest in the game.

Quite right it’s better he plays in the U18s than comes on for 2 min at the end.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 04, 2023, 03:33:09 pm by bobbymax »
Zero interest. I'll be spending the day with my grand-daughters and going for walk on a beach somewhere.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 04, 2023, 09:04:57 pm by RoversInSpain »
Well done to Selby for 46 let’s talk about’s (plus cups, though not many of those) some very hard yards there.
I predict huge relief on the blow of the final whistle. It’s been ‘orrible.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 04, 2023, 09:48:07 pm by BigH »
Yep, thanks Selby for the ‘Let’s talk about’ contributions through the season. A highlight of the forum. Only wish you’d had something more positive to write about. Please keep it up next season.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 04, 2023, 09:53:52 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
Absolutely echo the thanks Selby, always a thoughtful conversation starter and welcome feature of the forum.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 04, 2023, 09:54:12 pm by normal rules »
I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been so disinterested in a rovers match in all my years of supporting them.
Something very dramatic has to happen in the next few months to re kindle my passion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012