Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 08:27:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Omar Bogle and Alfie May  (Read 11832 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Omar Bogle and Alfie May
« Reply #90 on November 02, 2023, 08:30:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST, we played 13 league games after May left. W7 D2 L4 = 23 points.
In the last 13 games before May left we W4 D4 L5 = 16 points, so my mistake there.

the 'far more prolific' Okenabirhie scored 2 goals that season (one less than May). and only managed 11 the following season, and that was as a striker, a role that May rarely got with us.

We might well have gone on a great run after May left, but it was hardly because May left, and certainly hardly because Okenabirhie replaced him!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on November 02, 2023, 08:47:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Correction from me. We played 18 games after May played his last game for us.

Your comment on goals scored in 19/20 is wilfully stupid.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on November 02, 2023, 08:54:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BST, we played 13 league games after May left. W7 D2 L4 = 23 points.
In the last 13 games before May left we W4 D4 L5 = 16 points, so my mistake there.

the 'far more prolific' Okenabirhie scored 2 goals that season (one less than May). and only managed 11 the following season, and that was as a striker, a role that May rarely got with us.

We might well have gone on a great run after May left, but it was hardly because May left, and certainly hardly because Okenabirhie replaced him!

In fairness to you, the 13 game thing is not a fair assessment of the May effect, not least because he didn't play in 5 of the 13 games before he left.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on November 02, 2023, 08:56:56 pm by selby »
 For much of the time May was with us we had better players than him up front and wide, he was the make up player to Blair, Williams, and Marquis.
 And we had a better all round team, that is why he was the odd one out in the managers eye.
  He has done well since leaving us, but played in better sides than what we have had over the last three years.
  If he had stayed here hands up anyone who thinks he would have done as well, the best thing that could happen to him was leaving as he would have gone down the sink hole all the rest have.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on November 02, 2023, 08:58:52 pm by Bentley Bullet »

And here we go with the insults!

The fact is, May left us and we went on a downward spiral into League 2. Meanwhile, the League 2 team he joined went the other way and swapped places with us. Now, May is far too big a player for the likes of us, and I'm glad because supporters like you don't deserve such a player.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on November 02, 2023, 09:13:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

The fact is, May left us and we went on a downward spiral into League 2. Meanwhile, the League 2 team he joined went the other way and swapped places with us. Now, May is far too big a player for the likes of us, and I'm glad because supporters like you don't deserve such a player.

It's not an insult. It's an observation.

You are suggesting that a return of 3 goals, (2 of them in the Paint Pot Trophy) from 23 appearances tops a return of 2 league goals from 5 appearances.

It's absolutely not an insult to call that wilful stupidity. It's an observation of fact.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on November 02, 2023, 09:18:15 pm by Goole Rover »

Its game set and match for us BB. Since leaving us Alfie as scored 0.44 goals per match Golden Boy as scored 0.27 goals per match. I don't understand this "what happened after Alfie's departure". To anyone who has played the game or understands the game it was very evident that Alfie's confidence was growing but Moore couldn't see it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on November 02, 2023, 09:30:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Its game set and match for us BB. Since leaving us Alfie as scored 0.44 goals per match Golden Boy as scored 0.27 goals per match. I don't understand this "what happened after Alfie's departure". To anyone who has played the game or understands the game it was very evident that Alfie's confidence was growing but Moore couldn't see it.
Those are the kind of facts that BST won't consider while he is on one of his biased, one-sided agendas.

If the truth were known, his view that it was the correct thing to do to get rid of May is all down to his special love-in with Darren Moore, and his defence of him is rather unhealthy.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on November 02, 2023, 09:32:18 pm by Plumbster »
Really not worth falling out over- we’re all agreed that it’s great to see Alfie doing so well

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on November 02, 2023, 09:37:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Really not worth falling out over- we’re all agreed that it’s great to see Alfie doing so well

Hahahahahahahaha! You're talking BST here! He constantly trolls the forum(s) to see who he can argue with. He is worse than a fart, at least the smell eventually goes away.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 09:43:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on November 02, 2023, 10:02:29 pm by The Beast »
We’ve got Ironside, Faal and Miller to come back now, I’m more than happy with that!
Good luck to Alfie and Omar!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on November 02, 2023, 11:23:29 pm by dickos1 »
You're doing it again Dickos. Ignoring facts when making your case.

Within a couple of weeks of selling May, Moore made a permanent signing at centre forward who had, and did score goals at L1 level at a rate much above anything May had shown up to then.

And it wasn't just Moore who didn't "give a chance" to May. The lad had been available nearly all of the playoff season under McCann and made 8 starts.

He was 23 when we signed him,
How many league one goals had Marquis scored at 23 or James hayter.
Suggesting a player is no good because he hasn’t ripped up any trees at 23 is ridiculous.
A good manager would’ve seen the potential, Moore isn’t a good manager

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on November 02, 2023, 11:46:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Exf**kingzactly

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on November 03, 2023, 12:13:07 am by The Beast »

Within a couple of weeks of selling May, Moore made a permanent signing at centre forward who had, and did score goals at L1 level at a rate much above anything May had shown up to then.

And it wasn't just Moore who didn't "give a chance" to May. The lad had been available nearly all of the playoff season under McCann and made 8 starts.

Suggesting a player is no good because he hasn’t ripped up any trees at 23 is ridiculous.

Moore isn’t a good manager? He seems to do alright for not a good manger, nearly stayed up in the Prem with West Brom and got sack while they were in 4th in the Champ, got poached by Wednesday while he was with us, then gets them promoted before getting the boot. Probably relatively a better success rate than 90% of managers. Yeah his football wasn’t great but apart from watching Rovers under O’Driscoll, good football in the FL is quite scarce.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on November 03, 2023, 01:17:58 am by BillyStubbsTears »

McCann picked him for 8 starts in 2018/19.

What's your conclusion on McCann's managerial ability?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on November 03, 2023, 07:53:40 am by Bentley Bullet »

Here's what McCann's thoughts on May were....
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-hails-brilliant-alfie-may-after-fa-cup-demolitiona-against-chorley-44009
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 08:45:00 am by Bentley Bullet »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on November 03, 2023, 08:08:00 am by Chris Black come back »
I can see the argument you are trying to put forward, but it doesn’t help if your evidence base is largely / exclusively a FA Cup performance against Chorley.

The point is perhaps whether anyone could have foreseen he would have gone on to be such a prolific striker at League One level.

Which given the absence of evidence of this with us - largely as the lad wasn’t given the opportunities in League One - is patently not true.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on November 03, 2023, 08:25:34 am by Bentley Bullet »
The point is also whether people could have foreseen he WASN'T capable of going on to be such a prolific striker at League One level. A few people on this forum said that he wasn't, and they were proved wrong. Those who said he WAS capable of being prolific at League One level were proved right.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on November 03, 2023, 08:40:35 am by i_ateallthepies »
This is probably the most pointless argument I have ever witnessed on this forum.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on November 03, 2023, 09:10:37 am by Herbert Anchovy »
This is probably the most pointless argument I have ever witnessed on this forum.

Totally agree! And that’s exactly why I continually find myself drawn back to it against my better judgement!  :lol:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on November 03, 2023, 01:31:57 pm by Chris Black come back »
The point is also whether people could have foreseen he WASN'T capable of going on to be such a prolific striker at League One level. A few people on this forum said that he wasn't, and they were proved wrong. Those who said he WAS capable of being prolific at League One level were proved right.

But that is guesswork? He had scored a total of 7 goals at League One level in all his time for us. Nobody could have foreseen he would be rattling them in at that level with other clubs.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on November 03, 2023, 05:29:17 pm by TheFunk »
Paint Pot trophy games don't count as they aren't first team fixtures. Hence why Tommy Rowe could play whilst suspended.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on November 03, 2023, 05:40:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Believe me we have had worse.
I have got involved in some of them myself.   :crying:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on November 03, 2023, 06:29:41 pm by dickos1 »

Not playing a young inexperienced player every week is certainly not the same as getting rid of them if that’s the point you’re attempting to make

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on November 03, 2023, 07:23:27 pm by scawsby steve »
Paint Pot trophy games don't count as they aren't first team fixtures. Hence why Tommy Rowe could play whilst suspended.

If you're talking about Alfie's 4 goals against Chorley, that was the FA Cup.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on November 03, 2023, 08:29:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Not playing a young inexperienced player every week is certainly not the same as getting rid of them if that’s the point you’re attempting to make

By the end of the 18/19 season, May was days away from his 26th birthday and had made 94 appearances for us.

Next?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on November 03, 2023, 09:03:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No one said May was prolific while at Rovers, but some of us said that given a fair run of full 90-minute games, he had the potential to be a very good player.

And they were right.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on November 03, 2023, 10:31:11 pm by dickos1 »

By the end of the 18/19 season, May was days away from his 26th birthday and had made 94 appearances for us.

Next?

Put it this way, there would’ve been no way mccann would’ve let Marquis and May leave.
May didn’t get his chances because of Marquis, I remember him playing against palace and he was outstanding.
To get rid of him like we did was scandalous

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on November 04, 2023, 08:37:54 am by belton rover »
May was/is a terrific person to have around any football club. Putting aside the fact that he is also a very good player, Moore cared not one jot about that.
Moore has an arrogance and a belief in himself that simply is not matched with ability. He’ll probably get a few more, short term managerial posts before becoming a more regular pundit for a bit.
Though he’s crap at that too.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on November 04, 2023, 10:11:14 am by drfcsteve »
From my perspective Alfie always seemed to give 100% but a lot of the time looked like he was running around like a headless chicken.

The fact he’s gone on to be a good player makes it look in hindsight like we dropped a clanger letting him go, but obviously if he’d played for us like he plays now we wouldn’t have got rid. Just one of those things.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012