Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 07:34:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield sacked  (Read 10011 times)

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
Schofield sacked
« on May 09, 2023, 10:32:09 am by ChrisBx »
Replacement within 10 days...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BerlinRed

• Forum Member
Re: Schofield sacked
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2023, 10:32:54 am by BerlinRed »
Grant McCann? One can dream

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2023, 10:33:04 am by Guernsey Exile »
Wow

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2023, 10:35:02 am by foxbat »
sorry it didn't work out for him , but excellent news for the rest of us.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2023, 10:36:11 am by Daniel_Smith »
A replacement within 10 days. What about the usual long drawn out application process? I'm in shock! Too much to hope it's McCann?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2023, 10:36:18 am by Donnybax »
I’m really disappointed for DS. There’s no question he’s done a poor job, particularly since January/ February. But he’s massively been thrown under the bus. He had literally no chance to succeed.

Dn11

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 09, 2023, 10:37:31 am by Dn11 »
The right decision he’d lost the fan base. Next appointment is massive now

BerlinRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 09, 2023, 10:37:49 am by BerlinRed »
Where does this leave Copps, I wonder?   :ermm:

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 09, 2023, 10:38:09 am by Fal »
Told you all to be patient :)

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 09, 2023, 10:38:44 am by Goole Rover »
I’m really disappointed for DS. There’s no question he’s done a poor job, particularly since January/ February. But he’s massively been thrown under the bus. He had literally no chance to succeed.
That’s a good accurate post Donny he never stood a chance.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 09, 2023, 10:39:02 am by Metalmicky »
Doncaster Rovers can confirm that Danny Schofield has been relieved of his duties as head coach with immediate effect.

Chairman David Blunt said: “It is with the deepest regret that we have made this decision.

"Danny is a Doncaster lad and everyone at the club desperately wanted him to be a success here. His dedication, commitment and work ethic during his time at the club have been unquestionable.

"Whilst it is true Danny has not had the opportunities to build his own team, and the injuries have depleted the squad, we would have still expected to see a better turn of results than what has been achieved this season.

“In recent weeks, Danny has handled some difficult circumstances with the utmost dignity and has the respect and best wishes of all staff at Doncaster Rovers

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 09, 2023, 10:39:20 am by redarmi66 »
Always wanted it to work out for him and us but he was out of his depth and was not pragmatic enough to change philosophy and get the best out of the squad. Best for all concerned. Thanks and good luck.

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 09, 2023, 10:41:30 am by DD »
Hopefully Copps gets moved to “ club ambassador”

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 09, 2023, 10:43:04 am by Donny Exile in York »
Hallelujah. Hopefully Blunt goes next!

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2023, 10:43:14 am by Goole Rover »
Let’s hope the chairman goes with him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2023, 10:43:58 am by MachoMadness »
My question is - why wait til now? Ok, we'll have a replacement in within 10 days, but it's still a summer of upheaval ahead of us. If this was going to happen it should've happened weeks ago. Months, even. Or the guy should've been given the chance with players that suited him.

The positive is it sounds like we have a few candidates in mind. Here's hoping they fare better than the last few.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 09, 2023, 10:44:20 am by Jimmydee »
I wonder if the retainer list is already sorted.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 09, 2023, 10:44:29 am by pib »
It has been a seriously regrettable series of decisions over the last couple of years.

After Butler, McSheffrey and now Schofield, we can't thrust another under-qualified, under-experienced person into a role they've not got the best chance of succeeding in.

We need stability and solid foundations to halt this slide. Time to get a proven manager in who knows what he's doing, and we simply have to get player recruitment right this summer.

I really wanted it to work out for DS and he comes across as a genuinely nice guy. He shouldn't have been put in the position he was. But the past is the past now, and we can't have a repeat of the toxicity, and abysmal results this season has delivered again next year. Time to take this seriously and do things properly.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 09, 2023, 10:45:11 am by Colin C No.3 »

The alternative you ‘offer’ would be to keep him & allow him to bring in other players?

No way.

If we’re looking to replace him in the next ten days then clearly we have been ‘scouting around’ for his replacement for some time & that ‘someone’ would appear to have been identified & approached. Ten days (or less) to let the dust settle before announcing that Grant McCann has agreed to return to the club as manager after behind the scenes negotiations on a contract to ensure he can’t ‘jump ship’ as before without substantial compensation to the club.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 09, 2023, 10:46:29 am by acacia94 »
Whoop Whoop!

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 09, 2023, 10:46:49 am by Pside »
Best decision for all concerned. Never been a fan but do feel for the bloke. Wrong place and the wrong time. Big appointment and big summer needed now to get the fans back on side.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 09, 2023, 10:47:17 am by Daniel_Smith »

"Literally no chance to succeed" I'd say was hyperbole. With the slim pickings some could argue he had, he still set up his teams shockingly in my opinion. He certainly didn't help himself as manager.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 09, 2023, 10:48:32 am by philsky »
My question is - why wait til now? Ok, we'll have a replacement in within 10 days, but it's still a summer of upheaval ahead of us. If this was going to happen it should've happened weeks ago. Months, even. Or the guy should've been given the chance with players that suited him.

The positive is it sounds like we have a few candidates in mind. Here's hoping they fare better than the last few.

Negotiating package and transfer kitty with McCann I hope - doesn't happen overnight

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 09, 2023, 10:49:29 am by ChrisBx »
This is absolutely the correct decision. We have previously made the mistake of giving managers a transfer window and new season against all the evidence in the hope that our form will be improved. When it hasn't, we've had to recruit mid-season which brings a number of challenges.

We all wanted DS to work out and I do believe he's a very good coach who will go on to have a good career elsewhere.

My concern is that DS is/was only part of the problem. The club has been on a negative trajectory for too long and I have no confidence in Blunt as chairman. I have little confidence in Coppinger as HoF, however he may be able to turn it around with a positive next appointment.

I look forward to seeing who we approach or interview. Grant McCann would be an excellent appointment on the right contract with sufficient financial backing.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 09, 2023, 10:53:23 am by glosterred »
Like a lot on here I’m disappointed that it hasn’t worked out for him, but in a results based industry I think it was inevitable that he had to go. Looing forward to seeing who replaces him and supporting them and the team.

One thing I will say, I believe that Danny is a coach, probably a good coach, but I don’t think he’s a manager. Good luck to Danny in his next job.

Onwards and upwards

COYR
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 02:08:50 pm by glosterred »

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 09, 2023, 10:53:36 am by Canadian Rover »
Thoughts and prayers with Dickos.

Only joking Dickos it did need doing, I admire your loyalty and patience with his appointment. This is best for all parties. Including the fans...let's hope we can unite now.

The club need to get this appointment correct and give the new manager the backing they need and the club deserves.

Our biggest summer yet.

Dickos no need to defend him anymore let's draw a line in the sand and all move forward together.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 09, 2023, 10:55:57 am by Drover »
Wow,just logged in,and seen how many others are logged in at top of forum,not seen that many since we signed Billy Sharp  :lol:

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 09, 2023, 10:56:57 am by Butchers Red »
Yessssss - brilliant news

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 09, 2023, 10:57:48 am by TonySoprano »
1 step in the right direction.
MASSIVE 2 weeks ahead for the club.
Blunt next to go please followed by appointing grant mcann

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 09, 2023, 10:58:02 am by Donnybax »

The alternative you ‘offer’ would be to keep him & allow him to bring in other players?

No way.

If we’re looking to replace him in the next ten days then clearly we have been ‘scouting around’ for his replacement for some time & that ‘someone’ would appear to have been identified & approached. Ten days (or less) to let the dust settle before announcing that Grant McCann has agreed to return to the club as manager after behind the scenes negotiations on a contract to ensure he can’t ‘jump ship’ as before without substantial compensation to the club.

I’m not suggesting that all. There was no recovering for him and he needed to go. But he was dealt a really bad hand

TinyPortal © 2005-2012