Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 10:44:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield sacked  (Read 10044 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Schofield sacked
« Reply #30 on May 09, 2023, 10:58:44 am by MachoMadness »
I wonder if the retainer list is already sorted.
In theory this should be down to Copps, so Schofield leaving shouldn't affect it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 09, 2023, 10:59:59 am by andyst79 »
I’m really disappointed for DS. There’s no question he’s done a poor job, particularly since January/ February. But he’s massively been thrown under the bus. He had literally no chance to succeed.

"Literally no chance to succeed" I'd say was hyperbole. With the slim pickings some could argue he had, he still set up his teams shockingly in my opinion. He certainly didn't help himself as manager.
Exactly, along with his stubbornness and daft interviews. If we saw a bit of fight , endeavour and adaptability from a depleted squad maybe he could have been afforded more time. We saw nothing of the sort.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 11:04:00 am by andyst79 »

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 09, 2023, 11:04:10 am by Donny Exile in York »
DS was given a bad hand that is without question. However with the negative tactics and record his job was untenable.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 09, 2023, 11:05:44 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Inevitable and absolutely the right decision. We need to get this one right, we've become that club none of us want to be, chopping and changing short term managers.

Possibly the biggest appointment in decades the next one for me.

Fair play to Schofield for his dignity and attitude in horrendous circumstances he gets respect for that. I'm not sure he can do the job though unfortunately.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 09, 2023, 11:06:29 am by mushRTID »
A disaster.

Worst football I can remember, never seen the fans so against a manager. Goals (and shots) dried up. Confidence in the team and stands shot. No flexibility. No fight, didn't seemed arsed we were losing.

Crucially I don't feel he ever tried to properly connect with the fans.

Seemed a decent bloke and didn't deserve what he had to take at Harrogate.

Hope he finds a role more suited to him quickly.

And hope we finally stop f**king around with these unproven and underqualified managers.

Get some experience in who will grab this club by the b*llocks and get the fans back on side first and foremost.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 09, 2023, 11:08:27 am by Canadian Rover »
Weird take I know but does anybody else feel like a burden has been lifted from them? That a weight has been lifted off their shoulders with this news.

Because this is how I currently feel.

And that there is hope for the club I love.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 09, 2023, 11:09:04 am by pib »
A disaster.

Worst football I can remember, never seen the fans so against a manager. Goals (and shots) dried up. Confidence in the team and stands shot. No flexibility. No fight, didn't seemed arsed we were losing.

Crucially I don't feel he ever tried to properly connect with the fans.

Seemed a decent bloke and didn't deserve what he had to take at Harrogate.

Hope he finds a role more suited to him quickly.

And hope we finally stop f**king around with these unproven and underqualified managers.

Get some experience in who will grab this club by the b*llocks and get the fans back on side first and foremost.

Agree 100% with that. Perfectly summed up.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 09, 2023, 11:09:09 am by Drover »
I’m really disappointed for DS. There’s no question he’s done a poor job, particularly since January/ February. But he’s massively been thrown under the bus. He had literally no chance to succeed.

That would be true,IF he showed some tactically nous with what he did have,but he did'nt,he stubbornly or ignorantly stuck with tactics that was not working in the situation we was in and there was no improvement week in week out.I reckon Andy Butler and Gary Mcsheffrey would have done better with the cards he was dealt.I wanted him to succeed,especially with his appointment being a bit different and I believe being recommended by Copps,but it did'nt work and sacking him is the right decision,I feel more confident this coming seasons investment will not be poorly squandered.Personally would love GM back,but will our board be professional enough to try and bring him back,with them being disappointed he left us?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 09, 2023, 11:11:34 am by Filo »
DS was given a bad hand that is without question. However with the negative tactics and record his job was untenable.

Bad hand or not, he didn’t playthat hand very well did he

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 09, 2023, 11:20:09 am by dickos1 »
I just feel relieved,
And I do think it was the correct decision, I don’t think many of our supporters would ever give him the chance even if we were doing well next season.

They’ve got to go get mcCann.
Apparently Byrne has been at the last few home games

Tommy A

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 09, 2023, 11:22:25 am by Tommy A »
I wonder if the retainer list is already sorted.
In theory this should be down to Copps, so Schofield leaving shouldn't affect it.

Well if I were an experienced manager coming into the job I wouldn't be taking instructions from Coppinger (no league games as a manager) on which players I need!

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 09, 2023, 11:23:13 am by Canadian Rover »
I just feel relieved,
And I do think it was the correct decision, I don’t think many of our supporters would ever give him the chance even if we were doing well next season.

We've missed Cliff Byrne too. I imagine Bobby, Olowu and even Anderson will enjoy playing under him and develop their game.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 09, 2023, 11:24:12 am by Filo »
I just feel relieved,

All I’ll say about McCann is I hope he’s learned from the way he departed last time, no doubt he gets teams playing but we need commitment, not empty words

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 09, 2023, 11:24:53 am by steve@dcfd »
If we bring in an experienced manager which we need then do we need Copps. Some more big decisions still to be made.
The clubs been a disaster for nearly 3 seasons the decision making as been awful. We need to get this right DS style of play was his downfall but the majority players he had were not good enough. Copps had a lot to do with the selection of those players Mr Blunt funded those players between them they got it wrong. This summer we need to start to turn the tide to make sure 18th in league 2 was our rock bottom.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 09, 2023, 11:25:46 am by normal rules »
This is good news. With a replacement in 10 days I cannot see it being anyone other than Mcann .
Interesting to note that up until very recently the club have been stating that schofield will be here next season.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 09, 2023, 11:27:31 am by ncRover »
The right decision for everyone.

Feel sorry for Danny as he’s had a rough year. But he wasn’t cut out for senior mens football management at the moment.

Another few months would have been even more damaging on his CV for him. He is well qualified and should get a job somewhere as u23/u18 coach easily.

Interesting timing from the club given that Blunt said he would start the season in charge. I wonder if it was a combination of poor season ticket sales and a struggle to attract players.

A fresh start, investment and hope offered to new recruits under a new manager means we can drive for promotion. Stevenage went from near relegation to automatic promotion.

This should still be a time for reflection for those higher up at the club as Schofield was only part of the problem.

If the McCann rumours are true he will have a plan and targets ready to go as he first got linked a while back now.

Exciting times!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 09, 2023, 11:27:37 am by dickos1 »
I just feel relieved,

All I’ll say about McCann is I hope he’s learned from the way he departed last time, no doubt he gets teams playing but we need commitment, not empty words

If he’s left us to go to a decent championship side again in 2 years it means he’s done a very good job for us, and we can’t have any qualms about that

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 09, 2023, 11:28:33 am by Campsall rover »
Just seen the news

Mighty relieved. Sense at last.
Whose decision was this. Copps or Blunt’s or was it TB’s I wonder.

Best news possible.
Now please go and get McCann or at least a proven Manager. Please Please, Please.

I feel like I have won the lottery.  :) :) :)

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 09, 2023, 11:30:20 am by colincramb »
Sorry, but see no reason as to why we are all assuming that it’s McCann. If people are clinging on to this then I think there might be some disappointment on her in the next 10 days. There is absolutely no suggestion he’d want to manager at league 2 level and given the way he left the club last time i just can’t see the club taking the risk again with him

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 09, 2023, 11:32:29 am by turnbull for england »
This is good news. With a replacement in 10 days I cannot see it being anyone other than Mcann .
Interesting to note that up until very recently the club have been stating that schofield will be here next season.

Whatever people's opinions on the board, they always act professionally in public with regard to staff. The statement of the sacking is firm but fair, and if they had said he was going 4 games since , but not announced his replacement how would that have looked 

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 09, 2023, 11:35:38 am by Draytonian III »
David Artell, when he was manager of Crewe , did Paul Green play for him ?

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 09, 2023, 11:39:16 am by Paul Simpson »
Good decision by the board. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for Danny and wish him all the best in his future! I suspect the new manager has been watching the team closely and will know what is needed. Here’s to a new season!!

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 09, 2023, 11:41:15 am by keith79 »
I don't see it that way at all.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 09, 2023, 11:43:58 am by ncRover »
Sorry, but see no reason as to why we are all assuming that it’s McCann. If people are clinging on to this then I think there might be some disappointment on her in the next 10 days. There is absolutely no suggestion he’d want to manager at league 2 level and given the way he left the club last time i just can’t see the club taking the risk again with him

Would take Darrell Clarke if not.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 09, 2023, 11:51:53 am by Drover »

Has'nt he said he is watching closely to see if DS gets the sack recently? Yeah it maybe just press or him getting some headlines,but it is bound to get our fans hoping,guessing,that's the point of saying it.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 09, 2023, 11:54:31 am by andyst79 »

Has'nt he said he is watching closely to see if DS gets the sack recently? Yeah it maybe just press or him getting some headlines,but it is bound to get our fans hoping,guessing,that's the point of saying it.
Alan Nixon reported this , his info is pretty reliable generally

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 09, 2023, 11:59:21 am by Cramby10 »
Weird take I know but does anybody else feel like a burden has been lifted from them? That a weight has been lifted off their shoulders with this news.

Because this is how I currently feel.

And that there is hope for the club I love.
yes. Makes the first day back after the bank holiday a lot more tolerable!! Woo hooo!!

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 09, 2023, 11:59:43 am by anton123 »

Alan Nixon reported this , his info is pretty reliable generally
Plus in an interview a month or so earlier he was very complimentary about the Doncaster board and the way they operate, sounds like he was trying to build bridges to me

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 09, 2023, 12:00:47 pm by dickos1 »

There’s plenty of reasons, it may not happens but there are plenty of reasons to think it could

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 09, 2023, 12:13:07 pm by LincolnDonny »
Just been on the Donny Site and saw the statement

are they making a statement like he was pants?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012