Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 11:19:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield sacked  (Read 10054 times)

CaptainStock

• Forum Member
Re: Schofield sacked
« Reply #60 on May 09, 2023, 12:17:23 pm by CaptainStock »
Top 6 favourites currently:
McCann
Clarke
Cowley
Graham Alexander
Artell
Karl Robinson

Either of the first 2 names will do nicely for me

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 09, 2023, 12:20:15 pm by normal rules »
Sorry, but see no reason as to why we are all assuming that it’s McCann. If people are clinging on to this then I think there might be some disappointment on her in the next 10 days. There is absolutely no suggestion he’d want to manager at league 2 level and given the way he left the club last time i just can’t see the club taking the risk again with him

Mcann has recently been quoted in the media as keeping a close eye on what is going on at rovers . Why would he do that if he wasn’t interested . Unfinished business perhaps .

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 09, 2023, 12:26:42 pm by Superspy »
Weird take I know but does anybody else feel like a burden has been lifted from them? That a weight has been lifted off their shoulders with this news.

Because this is how I currently feel.

And that there is hope for the club I love.

Completely understand this. This season is the first since the stadium opened that I've chosen to miss a home game purely because I couldn't be arsed to go. It has been upsetting....not maddening...not frustrating....upsetting.
I'm now more excited for next season without a penny having been spent.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 09, 2023, 12:29:45 pm by ChrisBx »
McCann
Clarke
Cowley
Graham Alexander
Artell
Karl Robinson

That would be a surprisingly good shortlist for a club in our position.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 09, 2023, 12:32:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
Beggars cannot be choosers (and we are definitely a beggar) but there are some horrific names on there.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 09, 2023, 12:35:44 pm by jmt23 »
Feel for Danny, I like the quotes” he lost the fans” he never had em to lose! Awful treatment from supposed fans.

It is absolutely the right decision to remove him from the role though. Performances just haven’t been good enough - I still maintain that is more down to the “quality” of players available- without wholesale changes of players we will still be a very average league 2 team.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on May 09, 2023, 12:40:24 pm by roversdude »
Have people got slightly rosé tinted glasses on with McCann.
I seem to remember some great football but no plan B if the great football didn’t work. He was also fortunate that he inherited a decent squad that he added some “lucky” loans to.
Although we made the play offs we were miles behind the other top teams.
I wouldn’t balk at him coming back but people maybe need to remember what it was actually like

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 09, 2023, 12:44:12 pm by jamesrover17 »
McCann
Clarke
Cowley
Graham Alexander
Artell
Karl Robinson

That would be a surprisingly good shortlist for a club in our position.

Announce Graeme Lee...

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 09, 2023, 12:49:55 pm by RugbyRover »
I seem to remember some great football but no plan B if the great football didn’t work. He was also fortunate that he inherited a decent squad that he added some “lucky” loans to.
I wouldn’t balk at him coming back but people maybe need to remember what it was actually like

:that:
excellent summary

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 09, 2023, 12:52:00 pm by bpoolrover »
at the minute seeing some great football and losing would do for now, we know that McCann would bring bring players that were exciting to watch at least

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on May 09, 2023, 12:53:09 pm by MachoMadness »
This is fair, although he's also had several years more experience under his belt, all of it at a higher level than we're at now, with far better players. Fair to say he'll be a better manager now than when he left us.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 09, 2023, 12:53:14 pm by pib »

:that:
excellent summary

Four years since he left, and he's since won League One, and kept Hull in the Championship. OK, his second spell at Posh didn't work out, but he did leave them only 3 points off the play-off positions. I'm sure he's learnt a lot in that time.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 09, 2023, 12:56:59 pm by Drover »

No,not really,45%win rate as our manager,40% win rate all manager career,in league one and championship,not bad for a manager without a plan B.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 09, 2023, 01:03:03 pm by Campsall rover »
I’m really disappointed for DS. There’s no question he’s done a poor job, particularly since January/ February. But he’s massively been thrown under the bus. He had literally no chance to succeed.
No chance to succeed. Sorry that is rubbish.
Not once has he had a viable tactical plan that was workable with the players at his disposal.
Not once did he change it during a game.
Which players has he improved since he arrived?

Sorry he is his own worst enemy. His total lack of tactical acumen, stubbornness and inflexibility has got him the sack.
Wish him well for the future I genuinely do but am very thankful his future won’t be at DRFC. Very thankful.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on May 09, 2023, 01:18:51 pm by roversdude »
I’m really disappointed for DS. There’s no question he’s done a poor job, particularly since January/ February. But he’s massively been thrown under the bus. He had literally no chance to succeed.
Not once has he had a viable tactical plan that was workable with the players at his disposal.

Sorry he is his own worst enemy. His total lack of tactical acumen, stubbornness and inflexibility has got him the sack.
Wish him well for the future I genuinely do but am very thankful his future won’t be at DRFC. Very thankful.

That’s about where I am Camps, anyone looking for a snapshot of his genius - can I offer up Todd Miller as centre forward

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on May 09, 2023, 01:21:56 pm by Jonathan »
McCann just got it when he was here. By ‘got it’ I mean he was the first manager since arguably Dave Penney to really get what a swell of the public wanted - a fast, all action and borderline nasty team that plays football but is streetwise with it. Before anyone starts, I’m not disrespecting O’Driscoll who is the best manager we’ve ever had by some distance. But it didn’t really matter to him what the public thought, he was unique and had his own way and he built the best team I’ll ever see. We’ll never replace what So’D gave us - we’ve just tried and failed. So go back to basics, get a manager that can galvanise the squad and the fans and bring back some entertainment. McCann did that. I’d absolutely love to see him back.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 01:40:39 pm by Jonathan »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on May 09, 2023, 01:22:05 pm by roversdude »

No,not really,45%win rate as our manager,40% win rate all manager career,in league one and championship,not bad for a manager without a plan B.

Like I said I wouldn’t be adverse to him coming back

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 09, 2023, 01:35:22 pm by Sprotyrover »
Sorry it didn't work out for Schofield as he is a Doncaster lad, I bet his family is gutted.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 09, 2023, 01:45:03 pm by Jonathan »
I’ll add that I’m genuinely sorry for Schofield too. I never like to see managers sacked but this clearly wasn’t working out. Hopefully he can build back as a coach as I really don’t think he’s as much of a fool as some made out. This was just the wrong job to take on at the wrong time in his development.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on May 09, 2023, 01:50:52 pm by Copps is Magic »
Unwelcome precedent been set here of sacking coaches/managers without giving them a chance to build their own squad. Not just that, January was a particularly bad transfer window (not, I sense, anything to do with DS).

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on May 09, 2023, 01:53:37 pm by POD »

There are managers out there who have shown that they can work with whatever players are available and achieve positive results, as we have seen recently with Neil Warnock at Huddersfield.   

These types of Managers do it with experience, motivation and tactical acumen.   

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 09, 2023, 01:58:36 pm by pib »
Unwelcome precedent been set here of sacking coaches/managers without giving them a chance to build their own squad. Not just that, January was a particularly bad transfer window (not, I sense, anything to do with DS).

I suspect it was seen as too big a risk to give a Head Coach who was struggling to get performances/results a hand in re-shaping the squad in the summer window.

Whether you agree experience is important or not, DS has no track record to fall back on and reassure anyone that he's capable of getting the results we need. TB will want to protect his investment this summer and it would've a massive gamble to invest that money and let DS run with the squad it builds.

Changing manager/HC isn't ideal at any time, but at least this time, in theory, we can appoint someone and they'll have the summer window to play a role in shaping and developing the squad for the new season. If he'd remained in charge and next season had started in a similar vein to how this one finished, DS would've been hoyed out before Xmas and we'd be looking at another change with games coming thick and fast, which at this club is usually a hindrance rather than a help.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 09, 2023, 02:01:37 pm by mushRTID »

I do agree with this but on the flipside, it would be helpful if we stopped appointing the wrong people in the first place.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 09, 2023, 02:14:43 pm by oggycompton »
Can't understand all the people saying they feel sorry for DS.

Hands down the most negative, strident, obtuse and inflexible manager we have ever had. If I never see 5 at the back again versus Hartlepool at home it will be too soon. Watching different games to 99% of the supporters, crowds down. Now you can blame Blunt etc and say he was dealt a poor hand but it was the same as McSheffreys and he did way worse.

Horrendous appointment in the first place to take a guy who had lost 8 of 11 at Huiddersfiuled and guess what loses well over 50% here too.

So we've done the 6 week application process where we then take the under 18s manager from inside the club, we've done the guy with a proven track record of losing coming along and guess what....losing.

Lets please please get it right!!! McCann or Clarke for me. Any past players or unproven coach and it proves hands down that the top bods haven't a clue what they're doing. So i fully expect Tommy Rowe player-manager announced next week. lol.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on May 09, 2023, 02:23:35 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I'm afraid that I do not feel sorry for the man. Alongside modern standards in this line of work, he was given enormous latitude. He failed even to sustain  the status quo.

If he had shown more humility perhaps that would have helped, but he always sought to apportion blame to the players.

Did he ever say "Sorry"?

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 09, 2023, 02:24:07 pm by JonWallsend »
McCann just got it when he was here. By ‘got it’ I mean he was the first manager since arguably Dave Penney to really get what a swell of the public wanted - a fast, all action and borderline nasty team that plays football but is streetwise with it. Before anyone starts, I’m not disrespecting O’Driscoll who is the best manager we’ve ever had by some distance. But it didn’t really matter to him what the public thought, he was unique and had his own way and he built the best team I’ll ever see. We’ll never replace what So’D gave us - we’ve just tried and failed. So go back to basics, get a manager that can galvanise the squad and the fans and bring back some entertainment. McCann did that. I’d absolutely love to see him back.

Totally agree. I heard Michael Appleton interviewed on the radio yesterday, he is keen to get back in. I've shouted him up at least 3 out of the last 4 times, I believe he was close to getting it once, so I'm going with him... again.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 09, 2023, 02:30:28 pm by JonWallsend »
You've got to love football fans. The amount of vitriol directed towards McCann, Judas, the snake etc, when he left.
 I know it wasn't everyone and a number of posters were more rational in understanding that managing Hull in the Championship is a better job than managing Donny in League One and less apoplectic, but the forum was in meltdown and now it appears the open top bus parade is being readied for the return of the prodigal hero.
I wouldn't mind him coming back but I wasn't overly bothered when he left. As Dickos has alluded to, I'd also gladly see him departing for the Championship in two seasons, if he's got us back into league one

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on May 09, 2023, 02:44:20 pm by dickos1 »
I'm afraid that I do not feel sorry for the man. Alongside modern standards in this line of work, he was given enormous latitude. He failed even to sustain  the status quo.

If he had shown more humility perhaps that would have helped, but he always sought to apportion blame to the players.

Did he ever say "Sorry"?

Not sure he’s ever blamed the players,
The bloke tried his best, whatever way you look at it he was dealt a very difficult hand.
A club in decline,
All the transfer budget already spent
A poor squad
A team in poor form
Given the task of completely transforming the style of play using players that were bought to play a different style of play.

It didn’t work out for him, but the treatment he’s received and is still receiving on here and elsewhere is over the top and is a sad reflection on the club as a whole

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 09, 2023, 02:51:35 pm by Upton Rover »
Good news, possibly poor timing

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 09, 2023, 02:54:50 pm by MachoMadness »

Did he ever say "Sorry"?

Not sure he’s ever blamed the players,
The bloke tried his best, whatever way you look at it he was dealt a very difficult hand.
A club in decline,
All the transfer budget already spent
A poor squad
A team in poor form
Given the task of completely transforming the style of play using players that were bought to play a different style of play.

It didn’t work out for him, but the treatment he’s received and is still receiving on here and elsewhere is over the top and is a sad reflection on the club as a whole
Think people heard what they wanted to hear from DS' interviews. I don't remember him ever really blaming the players, in fact he'd often tie himself in knots trying to protect them from criticism that they probably deserved, which is why he sometimes sounded detached from reality. But at the same time he couldn't come out and say the squad he'd been left with was largely shite, could he?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012