Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 08:06:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield sacked  (Read 10020 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Schofield sacked
« Reply #90 on May 09, 2023, 03:06:30 pm by roversdude »
McCann will never be as big a snake as the guy who went to Hillsboro

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on May 09, 2023, 03:09:09 pm by Campsall rover »
The fact is he played the wrong system

2v3 in middle of the park game after game after game.
Never changed it
To 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 ever

Sorry we should have finished top 9 min even with the injuries.
Sorry stop making excuses for his tactical ineptitude.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on May 09, 2023, 03:09:18 pm by redarmi66 »
I wonder if the retainer list is already sorted.
In theory this should be down to Copps, so Schofield leaving shouldn't affect it.

Well if I were an experienced manager coming into the job I wouldn't be taking instructions from Coppinger (no league games as a manager) on which players I need!

Well if you want the job you will have to be prepared to work with Copps. As he will be employing/recommending you. End of.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on May 09, 2023, 03:22:22 pm by redarmi66 »
Sorry it didn't work out for Schofield as he is a Doncaster lad, I bet his family is gutted.
And probably relieved. Best for all parties

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on May 09, 2023, 03:23:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The thing with McCann is yes that side narrowly failed to get promoted. A season none of us really expected promotion.

My overwhelming feeling at the end of that season was how delighted I was with that play off defeat. We weren't the best footballing side by a long way that year, look where the players from other sides ended up to prove that.

But, we had fight, determination and entertainment, they never gave up and the fans bought in to it.

Sometimes a manager fits a club and McCann did fit here.  I don't blame him for leaving I'm still pissed off about it because it was the start of our downward trend and I felt McCann could have waited longer and got a better proposition than Hull.

I feel if he wants it get him in.  It fits for both parties and all the rumours point undoubtedly to him.  He won't accept just plodding along and getting McCann in to league 2 sends a message that We're getting back to what we were.

Fur Calf

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on May 09, 2023, 04:47:00 pm by Fur Calf »
I don't get the "I feel sorry for DS", he was paid well to do a job but failed miserably. He came in knowing what players we had and that we had been in decline for the last 2/3 seasons. Surely he had done his due diligence on DRFC, therefore, no sympathy from me.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on May 09, 2023, 04:47:59 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I wonder if the retainer list is already sorted.
In theory this should be down to Copps, so Schofield leaving shouldn't affect it.

Well if I were an experienced manager coming into the job I wouldn't be taking instructions from Coppinger (no league games as a manager) on which players I need!

I'm sure Klopp thought that about Michael Edwards.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on May 09, 2023, 04:55:01 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
He never even tried imo. Just carried on doing the same thing. I’d feel for him if he tried everything he could and was just let down but how can you say he did that.

He’ll get paid for a year now doing f all. Won’t get another crack of been a senior manager but will get a u23 job you’d imagine easy enough

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on May 09, 2023, 05:14:37 pm by dickos1 »
The fact is he played the wrong system

2v3 in middle of the park game after game after game.
Never changed it
To 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 ever

Sorry we should have finished top 9 min even with the injuries.
Sorry stop making excuses for his tactical ineptitude.

If you think the line up over the last month or so is good enough for top 9 then you’ve lost the plot

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on May 09, 2023, 05:20:54 pm by Drover »
Have people got slightly rosé tinted glasses on with McCann.
I seem to remember some great football but no plan B if the great football didn’t work. He was also fortunate that he inherited a decent squad that he added some “lucky” loans to.
Although we made the play offs we were miles behind the other top teams.
I wouldn’t balk at him coming back but people maybe need to remember what it was actually like

No,not really,45%win rate as our manager,40% win rate all manager career,in league one and championship,not bad for a manager without a plan B.

Like I said I wouldn’t be adverse to him coming back
I think I get what you hinting roversdude, he isn't perfect,he has some faults and all todays posts about him maybe look like an over the top lov'in,but hopefully on paper,he would be the perfect tonic we need to stop the rot.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on May 09, 2023, 05:41:53 pm by mushRTID »
For anyone at Walsall, did DS look like he knew his time was up?

As his interview gave mixed messages to me.

Just intrigued how it’s happened so quickly.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on May 09, 2023, 05:45:16 pm by roversdude »
Have people got slightly rosé tinted glasses on with McCann.
I seem to remember some great football but no plan B if the great football didn’t work. He was also fortunate that he inherited a decent squad that he added some “lucky” loans to.
Although we made the play offs we were miles behind the other top teams.
I wouldn’t balk at him coming back but people maybe need to remember what it was actually like

No,not really,45%win rate as our manager,40% win rate all manager career,in league one and championship,not bad for a manager without a plan B.

Like I said I wouldn’t be adverse to him coming back
I think I get what you hinting roversdude, he isn't perfect,he has some faults and all todays posts about him maybe look like an over the top lov'in,but hopefully on paper,he would be the perfect tonic we need to stop the rot.

Succinctly put exactly my point

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on May 09, 2023, 06:03:27 pm by mpc123 »
I just feel relieved,
And I do think it was the correct decision, I don’t think many of our supporters would ever give him the chance even if we were doing well next season.

They’ve got to go get mcCann.
Apparently Byrne has been at the last few home games

All excited by the prospect if that is true

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on May 09, 2023, 06:40:23 pm by streathamdave »
I’m really disappointed for DS. There’s no question he’s done a poor job, particularly since January/ February. But he’s massively been thrown under the bus. He had literally no chance to succeed.
  This was always going to be the case from day one when you appoint someone with 1 win in management with a dour footballing philosophy.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 09, 2023, 06:44:01 pm by Avsuptem »
I don't get why there is all this sympathy for Danny Schofield, people get sacked all the time, even me, my wife told me I was no good in the trouser department and then 2 weeks later I got sacked from my job in the trouser department at Marks and Spencers.

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on May 09, 2023, 06:45:09 pm by streathamdave »
Brian Flynn was at the last home game of the season by the way.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on May 09, 2023, 07:00:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't get why there is all this sympathy for Danny Schofield, people get sacked all the time, even me, my wife told me I was no good in the trouser department and then 2 weeks later I got sacked from my job in the trouser department at Marks and Spencers.
I had problems getting my trouser snake to work. Doctor said I had a reptile disfunction.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on May 09, 2023, 07:55:49 pm by tyke1962 »
Even I'm relieved to see him go , says it all really doesn't it .

Very nearly broke your club and you wouldn't have been able to put the pieces back together if this clown hadn't been removed .

Don't know what the sympathy from one or two is all about .

He's pocketed two fat cheques in 9 months and hardly won a game .

Probably more than many of us would see in ten years doing proper graft .

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on May 09, 2023, 08:01:25 pm by Colin C No.3 »
For anyone at Walsall, did DS look like he knew his time was up?

As his interview gave mixed messages to me.

Just intrigued how it’s happened so quickly.

I don’t think this has happened quickly.

You don’t sack a manager then announce the new incumbent will be in place within 10 days unless that has been a ‘done & dusted deal’ for sometime.

Whether DS was told he had until the end of the season to improve results in order to enhance his chances of getting a job at another club I can only speculate at.

If he was then he certainly has done himself no favours in sticking to his ‘mandate’ on how he feels the game should be played with the bunch of players at his disposal.

No flexibility = no ‘in game’ plan = predictability = nullification = defeat after defeat = the sack.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on May 09, 2023, 08:06:33 pm by BigH »
DS needed to go. However, my bigger concern is that his tenure has just masked the dysfunctionality that pervades the club from Board level downwards.

Managerial churn and poor leadership often go hand in hand in football; you only have to look at the disasters at Premiership level in recent years to see how it plays out.

I'll be happy when I see a coherent approach from top to bottom that embodies Vision-Ambition-Leadership-Investment. And not just the Chairman or CEO saying it.

Right now I have zero confidence in the leaders of our club. Time to step up fellas. The next few weeks will be interesting.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on May 09, 2023, 08:20:40 pm by Branton Red »
I'm simply thoroughly relieved this evening at this news

In a complete volte face I'm now actually looking forward to next season with optimism.

No more to add.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on May 09, 2023, 08:39:54 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
I had problems getting my trouser snake to work. Doctor said I had a reptile disfunction.
Well I had heard it was my newt.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on May 09, 2023, 11:45:44 pm by drfchound »
Well I had heard it was my newt.

I once had a pet newt.
His name was Tiny.
My mate asked why I had called him Tiny and I said it was because he is my newt.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on May 10, 2023, 12:05:40 am by Jimmydee »

Maybe “the snake McCann”  could advise you

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on May 10, 2023, 12:08:34 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Please not Paul Green and Chad Gribble, until the appointment, I have no faith the way the board operates, will change.
The head of football role needs to be done away with. Let the new manager get the players in he wants, then he stands or falls by his decisions. Positive news that the board have finally made the decision to start afresh.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on May 10, 2023, 05:50:53 pm by donnybez »
Whilst I don't take delight in someone losing their employment, I am happy that the decision taken was the right decision and at the right time.

I wanted it to work when he was appointed, as I do whenever we hire a manager, and initially the patterns of play in matches looked so promising. Somehow the collective hand reaching for top gear managed to pull us into reverse, through a wall, and then someones front room.

My questions to the board now would simply be:
- What have you learnt from the successive failures in managerial appointments? i.e how will you ensure that this is the RIGHT appointment at the RIGHT time?
- How does this decision impact the playing budget now there will be 3 wages instead of 2 to pay?
- What changed between the announcement on the 6th April and the subsequent firing on the 9th May that persuaded you to make the decision that the majority of the fanbase were audibly crying out for week after week? Sure we lost to Walsall, but was that display really more convincing than say the dreadful game against Crewe Alexandra?
- How much decision making will the new manager hold over transfers?

Now I'm living back in South Yorkshire, here's hoping I can make it to a ATB to try these myself  :)

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on May 10, 2023, 06:07:51 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Whilst I don't take delight in someone losing their employment, I am happy that the decision taken was the right decision and at the right time.

I wanted it to work when he was appointed, as I do whenever we hire a manager, and initially the patterns of play in matches looked so promising. Somehow the collective hand reaching for top gear managed to pull us into reverse, through a wall, and then someones front room.

My questions to the board now would simply be:
- What have you learnt from the successive failures in managerial appointments? i.e how will you ensure that this is the RIGHT appointment at the RIGHT time?
- How does this decision impact the playing budget now there will be 3 wages instead of 2 to pay?
- What changed between the announcement on the 6th April and the subsequent firing on the 9th May that persuaded you to make the decision that the majority of the fanbase were audibly crying out for week after week? Sure we lost to Walsall, but was that display really more convincing than say the dreadful game against Crewe Alexandra?
- How much decision making will the new manager hold over transfers?

Now I'm living back in South Yorkshire, here's hoping I can make it to a ATB to try these myself  :)

Lack of season ticket renewals will presumably have come into consideration. Perhaps (strange as it may seem) they convinced themselves that what was said on here was not the typical fan’s view. Possibly the final poll swung the balance although it’s very difficult to put ourselves in their shoes.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on May 10, 2023, 06:15:08 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He had plenty of time to do much better than he did. That squad another manager would have got more from it. He was single minded and it cost him his position. His best first eleven was of a top six standard. The squad as a whole bottom half standard. He was incompetent and lost his job because of it. A shame as he’s from the town but that can’t alter he failed miserably.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on May 11, 2023, 12:01:32 am by ForsolongaRover »
There was criticism of journalists giving Schofield an easy time and I put in a word for Leon Wobschall of the Yorkshire Post and the DFP’s Paul Goodwin who probably convinced the hierarchy at the club that those on here were not just a vocal minority.

They deserve credit and thanks. 

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on May 11, 2023, 09:12:16 am by Goole Rover »
Schofield never stood a chance, Blunt had every chance.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012