Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 05:17:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Summer Activity  (Read 4687 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Summer Activity
« on May 09, 2023, 02:27:38 pm by GazLaz »
With a new manager coming in and the promise of extra funds to strengthen the team it just screams of a summer where we waste money on short sighted “old heads” that are on the slide and will prove very little value for money in the long run. I really hope I’m wrong but as I’ve said before, I have very little faith in the fact that we have an adequate process in place to identify the players to build a squad for a longer term rebuild.

Richard Wood is a name that has been linked closely. He would only sign if a two year deal was offered and at 38, and already having re-signed a sliding centre half in Anderson would that be a smart move? No doubt he could offer something next season for a year but committing to two feels too much.

Money being freed up could paper over some cracks in the short term for sure but is that what we really need right now? I think things run deeper than that.

Grant McCann returning would be a positive but getting the success he had in his first stint, after the season we’ve just had, would be unlikely without a number of other good decisions being made between now and August to go along side that one.

Would GM want full control rendering James Coppingers position redundant? Possibly. That opens up another can of worms itself. Just over a year ago the club decided that recruiting a person to oversee all football matters at the club was necessary, would appointing GM be a back peddle on that?

Although I’m yet to see what structure JC has put in place, I do think the Head of Football model is the correct one and should be stuck with. Getting the right dynamic with the staffing appointments is an important part of that system being able to work though.

It feels like it’s going to be a very interesting pre season and the manager may be the first of a number of changes. GM is a very very good manager, does he fit our current preferred model? Possibly not. Will he bring guaranteed success next season? Definitely not. Will he had an extra lay of complexity to the off the field balance of power between the chairman- HoF- Chief Exec- Manager? Absolutely.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Summer Activity
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2023, 02:45:21 pm by MachoMadness »
I do think more traditional managers like McCann can work in a HoF system. It depends what the actual definition of Copps' role is, it hasn't been defined particularly clearly as yet. It might just need adaptability on all sides, that isn't something we've proven to be strong at recently though.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2023, 02:58:59 pm by normal rules »
With a new manager coming in and the promise of extra funds to strengthen the team it just screams of a summer where we waste money on short sighted “old heads” that are on the slide and will prove very little value for money in the long run. I really hope I’m wrong but as I’ve said before, I have very little faith in the fact that we have an adequate process in place to identify the players to build a squad for a longer term rebuild.

Richard Wood is a name that has been linked closely. He would only sign if a two year deal was offered and at 38, and already having re-signed a sliding centre half in Anderson would that be a smart move? No doubt he could offer something next season for a year but committing to two feels too much.

Money being freed up could paper over some cracks in the short term for sure but is that what we really need right now? I think things run deeper than that.

Grant McCann returning would be a positive but getting the success he had in his first stint, after the season we’ve just had, would be unlikely without a number of other good decisions being made between now and August to go along side that one.

Would GM want full control rendering James Coppingers position redundant? Possibly. That opens up another can of worms itself. Just over a year ago the club decided that recruiting a person to oversee all football matters at the club was necessary, would appointing GM be a back peddle on that?

Although I’m yet to see what structure JC has put in place, I do think the Head of Football model is the correct one and should be stuck with. Getting the right dynamic with the staffing appointments is an important part of that system being able to work though.

It feels like it’s going to be a very interesting pre season and the manager may be the first of a number of changes. GM is a very very good manager, does he fit our current preferred model? Possibly not. Will he bring guaranteed success next season? Definitely not. Will he had an extra lay of complexity to the off the field balance of power between the chairman- HoF- Chief Exec- Manager? Absolutely.

It’s an interesting future issue. Mcann likes to do things his way. If he does in fact land I can see things getting interesting between him
And JC. Depending on how much JC is involved in the playing staff that is .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2023, 03:06:40 pm by Alan Southstand »
GM keeps getting mentioned, but can we really expect him to agree to join us? I seriously doubt it, as he left because he had ideas of being a Championship manager!

There is someone who’s already had discussions with us, though, as ‘within 10 days’ seems a hell of a difference from our usual timescale with appointing managers. Mind you, that was pre-Copps.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2023, 03:08:52 pm by Colin C No.3 »
If it is Grant McCann I think you’ll find all those questions about how ‘the fit’ of having a HoF at the club will have already been discussed at length.

You don’t state that a replacement manager will be in place inside 10 days, that’s a week on Friday max, unless they’ve already been approached & to all intents & purposes already recruited.

Terry Bramall won’t want his ‘substantial cash injection’ wasted by some untried & tested incumbent, Blunt has bitten the bullet & despite his insistence that Schofield would remain in charge next season realised this his position as manager given the results & type of football being served up was untenable.

McCann would be a better manager with more experience under his belt than first time round. He has the nouse to get us out of the god awful division & hopefully will be a little wiser regarding other suitors should success here follow. Get Rovers back into the Championship & his stock wouldn’t get much higher.

I believe that he believes he has unfinished business at Rovers & I also believe the board would have him back (with the appropriate caveats written into his contract regarding other clubs ‘sniffing around’) in a flash.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2023, 03:09:56 pm by pib »
I doubt McCann would drop down to L2 ordinarily, but perhaps his prior connection to the club would help and maybe he has a sense of unfinished business here.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 09, 2023, 03:20:17 pm by MachoMadness »
Thing is, if we're looking for a new manager and we want McCann... wouldn't Copps be involved in that process as HoF anyway? Which would mean he's after McCann, or at least agrees with someone in the leadership team that McCann is the right man for the job?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 09, 2023, 04:17:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »
GM keeps getting mentioned, but can we really expect him to agree to join us? I seriously doubt it, as he left because he had ideas of being a Championship manager!

There is someone who’s already had discussions with us, though, as ‘within 10 days’ seems a hell of a difference from our usual timescale with appointing managers. Mind you, that was pre-Copps.

Radio Sheffield seem to think the talks are happening and both parties are interested.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 09, 2023, 04:34:08 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The HoF role is the way to go. This summer will show if we are doubling down on it or giving up the needed change before it’s started. We might give it up and be successful anyway in the sort term but when the manager leaves again we’ll be hoping we get lucky again.

McCann is hardly a dinosaur so should be ok working with a HoF but I can’t imagine Copps telling him no and I can’t imagine we as a club are in a position to say we know best to someone like that given where we are.

On the Richard Wood thing. Great signing for a year terrible one for 2 imo. We are poor at the back but personally think the midfield is the culprit for that.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 09, 2023, 06:27:47 pm by andyst79 »

Be a good signing on a 1 year Wood,
 debatable a 2 year deal but he's averaged 30 games a season over the last 4. Would rather have him over Anderson
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 10:07:52 pm by andyst79 »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 09, 2023, 06:47:27 pm by Chris Black come back »
If McCann did become our manager, he will never have managed with so low a budget or with best will in the world, League Two players playing League Two football. This is very different to anything he will have faced before and walks in to a squad that is small and bereft of genuine quality. It will be a major test for him.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 09, 2023, 07:04:38 pm by scawsby steve »
If McCann did become our manager, he will never have managed with so low a budget or with best will in the world, League Two players playing League Two football. This is very different to anything he will have faced before and walks in to a squad that is small and bereft of genuine quality. It will be a major test for him.

I think you're forgetting Terry's cash injection, CBCB. I reckon this will already have been discussed with GM, and will make the appointment more likely to happen.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 09, 2023, 08:05:37 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Would he come here if the money wasn’t there to go for the title?

Said before you can see McCann attracting bigger players. Selling them the title push and a season of winning games. DS could never do that given his record. Our ceiling on the type of players we can sign has just been lifted

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 09, 2023, 08:07:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Our budget next season will probably be top 5/6/7 in League 2 imo.

Only Bradford, Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County, Salford, Gillingham and MK Dons would likely have a bigger budget and one of those clubs may be going up.
I expect TB will be increasing this seasons budget substantially possibly by 50% or even more.
So I think McCann will have a budget that is not very dissimilar to the one he had in 2018/19
I would expect it to be at least 3.5 / 4.0 million ish next season.
It will need to be that to compete with those above Clubs.

I have no facts this is just my estimate. There won’t be any other clubs other than those mentioned with a budget over 3 million in fact possibly only 2 or 3 other clubs with budgets over 2.5 million.
Mansfield, Carlisle and Tranmere.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2023, 09:09:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
Everyone has missed seemingly what I said. Not that the budget he gets will be good, bad or indifferent for this league, but that he personally will never have managed on a budget this low.

Given we didn't publish our budget for 2018/19, it's not possible to state what this was.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2023, 09:18:33 pm by Chris Black come back »

Only Bradford, Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County, Salford, Gillingham and MK Dons would likely have a bigger budget and one of those clubs may be going up.
I expect TB will be increasing this seasons budget substantially possibly by 50% or even more.
So I think McCann will have a budget that is not very dissimilar to the one he had in 2018/19

I have no facts this is just my estimate. There won’t be any other clubs other than those mentioned with a budget over 3 million in fact possibly only 2 or 3 other clubs with budgets over 2.5 million.

Walsall had total staff costs of £4.1million last season, AFC Wimbledon £3.2million and Gillingham £3.7milllion season before.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 09, 2023, 09:57:20 pm by normal rules »
If it is to be GM, I expect he has a few brownie points in the bag with Hull still. In which case I’d be getting Billy Chadwick from them if poss.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 09, 2023, 10:23:20 pm by Campsall rover »

Walsall had total staff costs of £4.1million last season, AFC Wimbledon £3.2million and Gillingham £3.7milllion season before.
If Walsall had over a 4 million budget then they have spent that well haven’t they. 
Can’t see that budget being repeated for much longer.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 09, 2023, 10:24:39 pm by Draytonian III »
Billy Chadwick, I hope he’s improved because he struggled in the Northern Irish league 12 months ago.
Grant McCann and H.O.F ?? What is Barry Fry’s role at Peterborough ??

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 10, 2023, 06:59:32 am by NickDRFC »

If Walsall had over a 4 million budget then they have spent that well haven’t they. 
Can’t see that budget being repeated for much longer.

That’s not their playing budget, though. Of that £4.2m, I’d imagine that less than £3m related to the football side.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 10, 2023, 07:07:47 am by roverstillidie91 »
As much as 'some' fans don't like we will more than likely have to utilize the loan market next season

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 10, 2023, 08:06:00 am by normal rules »
Billy Chadwick, I hope he’s improved because he struggled in the Northern Irish league 12 months ago.

Billy was on loan at Boston . Seen him play a few times . Scores goals for fun . Very well suited to lge two footy . Gets stuck in . Physical. Attacking . Knows where the back of the net is .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 10, 2023, 08:23:00 am by dickos1 »

Billy was on loan at Boston . Seen him play a few times . Scores goals for fun . Very well suited to lge two footy . Gets stuck in . Physical. Attacking . Knows where the back of the net is .

Fair point but if you put agard or miller into that level they would score goals for fun

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 10, 2023, 08:23:12 am by Campsall rover »

Forgot Wimbledon CBcb
They probably will have a 3 million budget or thereabouts next season.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 10, 2023, 08:23:46 am by NickDRFC »

He’s 23 and has just had his first season where he’s managed a reasonable goal return, and that was in the National League North. Lavery scored more goals in the league above for a very poor team and hasn’t looked up to it. Doesn’t scream great signing to me.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 10, 2023, 08:29:54 am by Campsall rover »
When you look at the competition it isn’t going to be easy getting out of this league.
Top 7 and there is an awful lot of competition.

Top 3 Wrexham, Bradford, Stockport and Notts County will be the 4 favourites if all are in this league next season.
It is still possible only only 2 of them will be. Let’s hope so.

Having said that if Notts County don’t make it having got 107 points it will be a travesty.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 10, 2023, 09:11:31 am by normal rules »

Fair point but if you put agard or miller into that level they would score goals for fun

They would get bundled off the ball . They are too lightweight . IMO

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 10, 2023, 10:28:41 am by Bessie Red »

McCann nearly got us in with a chance of a play off final with a budget less than many in League 1 back in 2018/19 so I think he would be able to squeeze more out of a team than their budget would expect so if he did come & had a top 7 budget I would be confident we would grab a play off space but wouldn't be surprised if we got auto!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 10, 2023, 01:26:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

They would get bundled off the ball . They are too lightweight . IMO

Surely if Tier 6 defenders could have Miller in their pockets week after week, they should be playing in Tier 4?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 10, 2023, 05:57:52 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We need to be signing players that our fans say, “How the hell they managed to get him?!
We used to be like that as a club, that needs to happen again.
We don’t need thirty eight year old defenders badly enough to give them two year contracts.

We need to be looking at a mixture of good experience but not past it and younger players we can develop and move onto better things for a good fee.
Scouting needs to be really good. We need to be trawling the non league scene, but also premier league academy players that haven’t quite made it.

Northern Ireland is a bit of a hotbed at the minute, for young players being signed from there. We need to be looking there as well. We can’t afford wastage of money. Every penny spent on the squad needs to be as near to spot on as possible.

Just hope the club doesn’t lose its nerve and dither and we end up with another inexperienced manager, it wouldn’t surprise, I really hope I’m wrong.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012