Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 04:28:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: By solving one problem , haven’t we just  (Read 2493 times)

In the box

• Forum Member
By solving one problem , haven’t we just
« on May 09, 2023, 06:04:16 pm by In the box »
created another as the  new manager hasn’t got a grip of the players or who to keep or let go . Is this just another typical pathetic lack of decision making in keeping that waister in place too long !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: By solving one problem , haven’t we just
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2023, 06:07:42 pm by normal rules »
Perhaps. But its a better problem to have than what were facing going into next season with DS.
Someone like Mcann will have a list of just the sort of players he knows will be needed at this level. And the contacts too. There is some hope. Which I didnt have yesterday. 

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2023, 06:13:17 pm by ncRover »
Quite the opposite in my opinion.

We will be a far more attractive proposition for new signings with a fresh start, good wages on offer and most importantly a respected manager at the helm.

He’s been at enough games and knows enough about football to work out who’s worth keeping I’m sure.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2023, 06:16:38 pm by DearneValleyRover »
created another as the  new manager hasn’t got a grip of the players or who to keep or let go . Is this just another typical pathetic lack of decision making in keeping that waister in place too long !

How do you know the new manager wasn’t identified a while ago and that person has been watching and assessing?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2023, 06:18:08 pm by adamtherover »
I remember what he was appointed last time, he said he watched every match of the previous season before the interview so he had a grasp on the current playing squad,  this is not someone who takes things lightly..

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2023, 06:18:18 pm by normal rules »

How do you know the new manager wasn’t identified a while ago and that person has been watching and assessing?

I thought it odd when that article came out stating GM was keeping a close eye on events at DRFC. And this was a while ago now. All makes perfect sense.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 09, 2023, 06:22:26 pm by Canadian Rover »

If only we had a HOF in place to help to continuity and to help the new management settle in place. Oh wait we do. (not everything is broken)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 09, 2023, 06:24:49 pm by normal rules »

If only we had a HOF in place to help to continuity and to help the new management settle in place. Oh wait we do. (not everything is broken)

and this may actually be where the problem lies. JC may think he knows best with what players to keep and this may be at complete odds to an incumbent manager. what jc thinks is good for drfc playing staff wise may not be. relationships formed etc. keep hold of pals etc. continuity can work against you. familiarity breeds contempt.
but i dont want to put a dampener on this very positive news. grant mcann the manager (if it is to be him) is streaks ahead of knowing what is needed on the pitch from a managers perspective than DS and coppinger put together. im pretty sure he would have the last say.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 06:28:50 pm by normal rules »

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 09, 2023, 06:25:06 pm by Bollinger »
I remember what he was appointed last time, he said he watched every match of the previous season before the interview so he had a grasp on the current playing squad,  this is not someone who takes things lightly..

That’s true. That prep for the interview was a big deal at the time. I remember one self appointed expert on here claiming that was a bad thing and that you couldn’t give the job to anyone that was so well prepared! Unreal.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 09, 2023, 06:25:14 pm by redarmi66 »

The most positive thing thats happened and you are still looking for a negative. Disagree. If the word on the street is true then our next manager has been attending games and is already contacting potential new recruits

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 09, 2023, 06:27:38 pm by dickos1 »

No.

But this is just another ridiculous negative post

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 09, 2023, 06:31:30 pm by Danmckay456 »
We are hardly blessed with talent or players you’d look at and bend over backwards to keep. The ball is in our court this summer for once

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 09, 2023, 07:18:55 pm by roversdude »
Hope nobody has tried to make an assessment of the squad over the last couple of months, half the team has been injured and those that haven’t have played out of position

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 09, 2023, 07:32:27 pm by Upton Rover »
Totally agree, it’s great that DS as gone, wish him well, however the timing is shocking should have happened 7 games ago to let the new man in charge see what players he’s inherited

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2023, 07:38:49 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Totally agree, it’s great that DS as gone, wish him well, however the timing is shocking should have happened 7 games ago to let the new man in charge see what players he’s inherited

What a surprise, thought you was chuffing off to Leeds

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2023, 07:42:26 pm by Colin C No.3 »

So, given that the new manager (Grant McCaan) will be announced on or before a week on Friday, don’t you think for one minute………….I was almost tempted to leave it there but I’ll continue, that he hasn’t been watching games for some time now?

Why would he then want to ‘inherit’ a squad for the final 7 games of a disastrous season as opposed to coming in fresh with signings he will have had input to come August?

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 09, 2023, 07:52:32 pm by StocksArmy »
To the OP absolutely. Why on earth would you leave it until now to sack him. I agree with the decision but, the timing of it is a shambles. I can only speculate that they knew the squad wasn't good enough to make the playoffs in December to realise we wouldnt make the playoffs. Since then they must have hoped DS would get a song out of the players he had at his disposal to get some form of performances and he has failed to. Regardless of injuries the players didn't even show any passion. Had they done so, i believe he would have been in a job but, this decision should have come long ago. To tell a man he will have funds and then sack him after the final game i have to feel some slight sympathy for him although, again... the correct decision.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 11:08:08 pm by StocksArmy »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 09, 2023, 07:54:03 pm by Jonathan »
Last time we appointed McCann it was abundantly clear that he’d done his research and he came in ready, transformed the role of Ben Whiteman and hit the ground running. He’ll be prepared again, he’s not daft, and this time he’ll have more time to shape his squad. In many respects this is a great time to take on this job - we can clear out some dead wood and it’s hard to imagine we can sink much lower than the last few months.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 09, 2023, 07:59:09 pm by EasyforDennis »
There are an awful lot of people who will be very disappointed if it's not GM.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 09, 2023, 08:04:43 pm by Wild Rover »
I bet (if it is to be GM) he has watched the players for some while, or at least had his number 2 watch them. The same applies no matter who the manager elect is.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 09, 2023, 08:13:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
That’s the only trouble I see if it’s to be GM. Last time, he had the basis of a very decent L1 side that needed tweaking here and there. Enter 2 (what turned out to be) excellent loans just before the start and hey presto, we were off and running.

This time, things are very different. His saving grace, if there is one, is that we have a fair few injured players and some of them should be enough at L2. But he’s going to have his work cut out finding the right players (at the right price) in the right positions to have us competing again. We havn’t a No.1 keeper, no right back, BW is long gone and the midfield, to say the least, is sketchy. Add to that we’ve really only 1 recognised striker (who isn’t a hold up man). It all looks, on paper, a massive job.

We’ve promising youngsters who will have learned a lot this last season and that will hopefully see them all make positive strides next season. Hopefully, the fitness issues get sorted in the summer and we find (at least) 2 diamond loans to set us on our way to a much more positive season. It can’t really get any worse……..can it?

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 09, 2023, 08:26:07 pm by In the box »

[/quote what was his directive to watch and say nothing ?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 09, 2023, 09:34:51 pm by dickos1 »
To the OP absolutely. Why on earth would you leave it until now to sack him. I agree with the decision but, the time of it is a shamble. I can only speculate that they knew the squad wasn't good enough to make the playoffs in December time to realise we woildnt make the playoffs. Since then they must have hoped DS would get a song out the players he had as his disposal to get some form of performances and he has failed to. Regardless of injuries the players didn't even show any passion. Had they done so, i believe he would have been in a job but, this decision should have come long ago. To tell a man he will have funds and then sack him after the final game i have to feel some slight sympathy for him although again the correct decision.

If we’d sacked schofield 7 games ago, green would’ve took over for the remaining games
We wouldn’t have appointed a permanent, so it would’ve made no difference

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 09, 2023, 09:45:20 pm by Prez »

Can you imagine if McCann has watched a video of all 46 games this season? He would deserve a knighthood for that, and id fear for his mental health for a few days.

It would be enough to give anyone nightmares.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 09, 2023, 10:09:05 pm by Upton Rover »
To the OP absolutely. Why on earth would you leave it until now to sack him. I agree with the decision but, the time of it is a shamble. I can only speculate that they knew the squad wasn't good enough to make the playoffs in December time to realise we woildnt make the playoffs. Since then they must have hoped DS would get a song out the players he had as his disposal to get some form of performances and he has failed to. Regardless of injuries the players didn't even show any passion. Had they done so, i believe he would have been in a job but, this decision should have come long ago. To tell a man he will have funds and then sack him after the final game i have to feel some slight sympathy for him although again the correct decision.

If we’d sacked schofield 7 games ago, green would’ve took over for the remaining games
I forgot that you know it all ,

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 09, 2023, 10:09:32 pm by bpoolrover »
I can help him anyone who is out of contract let go

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 09, 2023, 10:11:35 pm by drfchound »
That’s the only trouble I see if it’s to be GM. Last time, he had the basis of a very decent L1 side that needed tweaking here and there. Enter 2 (what turned out to be) excellent loans just before the start and hey presto, we were off and running.

This time, things are very different. His saving grace, if there is one, is that we have a fair few injured players and some of them should be enough at L2. But he’s going to have his work cut out finding the right players (at the right price) in the right positions to have us competing again. We havn’t a No.1 keeper, no right back, BW is long gone and the midfield, to say the least, is sketchy. Add to that we’ve really only 1 recognised striker (who isn’t a hold up man). It all looks, on paper, a massive job.

We’ve promising youngsters who will have learned a lot this last season and that will hopefully see them all make positive strides next season. Hopefully, the fitness issues get sorted in the summer and we find (at least) 2 diamond loans to set us on our way to a much more positive season. It can’t really get any worse……..can it?

Alan, none of us had heard of Kane or Wilkes and there were one or two negative comments about bringing them in.
McCann obviously knew what he was doing though and if it is him coming in then I think he will have other players of that ilk up his sleeve.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 09, 2023, 10:41:11 pm by dickos1 »

No problem, at least you know now

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 09, 2023, 11:01:06 pm by StocksArmy »

The outcome would have been the same. Do you not see thats the point im making?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 09, 2023, 11:09:11 pm by dickos1 »

The outcome would have been the same. Do you not see thats the point im making?

No, I think you’re suggesting we should’ve sacked Danny 7 games ago so a new manager could assess the squad.
But I’m saying the new manager woukdnt have been appointed until now anyway

TinyPortal © 2005-2012