Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 04:25:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Foreign students' fsmilies  (Read 1669 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Foreign students' fsmilies
« on May 23, 2023, 10:05:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If it wasn't obvious that this Government has totally run out of ideas and should be out out of its misery, the ruling today on visas for foreign students' families is a perfect example.

Higher education is a massive export market for the UK. We have some of the world's best universities and there are many people around the world who want to benefit from the education they can give.

They pay very high fees. And they come here and spend money in our economy.

Govt estimates this brings us £18bn per year (guess what - that's £350m/week).

If those students bring their families, they are spending even more money in the UK economy. They are mostly living in thriving cities, where there is a general acceptance of other cultures. And these are the brightest and best of their countries' next generation. They are the ones we want to think favourably of Britain when making future business decisions.

So what does this Govt do? Shits itself that the numbers of "immigrants" looks too high, and bans a whole swathe of foreign students' family members from joining them in the UK while they study.

Just so they can reduce a number that is totally unimportant.

That's now risking undermining the attractiveness of the UK as a place for foreigners to study.

What are they going to do next? Stop tourists coming in?

Count down the days till this lqot gets booted out.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Re: Foreign students' fsmilies
« Reply #1 on May 23, 2023, 10:57:23 pm by Sprotyrover »
Hmm BBC News at Ten tonight ran a different drift, seems it’s a back door ticket to a new life in(Despite what most posters on here say) is a fabulously wealthy land of milk and honey!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 23, 2023, 11:58:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I watched that Sproty. Awful journalism. Two people interviewed out of the hundreds of thousands of foreign students is not remotely credible evidence.

Still, you got a Like from Hound, so that's nice.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 24, 2023, 11:54:58 am by Sprotyrover »
I watched that Sproty. Awful journalism. Two people interviewed out of the hundreds of thousands of foreign students is not remotely credible evidence.

Two words Billy to sum up your reply “condescending Putdown’!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 24, 2023, 12:37:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Hmm BBC News at Ten tonight ran a different drift, seems it’s a back door ticket to a new life in(Despite what most posters on here say) is a fabulously wealthy land of milk and honey!

I didn't see that last night, what numbers did they say were involved?

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 24, 2023, 01:13:06 pm by TonySoprano »
England is far too overcrowded, the NHS can't cope, the roads can't cope, there's not enough houses, the electricity grid can't cope.

It's a no to back door and illegal immigration from me

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 24, 2023, 01:37:53 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
In the year ending December 2022, 486,000 student visas were issued to applicants - up from 269,000 in 2019.

Last year, the number of student visas issued to dependants stood at 136,000 - an eightfold increase from 2019, when 16,000 were provided.

Why has that jumped so dramatically?  Is it a post Brexit thing?  If so that stat doesn't really compare like for like does it?

From personal experience I do remember a lot of foreign students with families over here at my university and it was always very difficult for the families to get work.  Most of them were living off rich parents back home, particulary those from the middle east and Asia.  I remember one we used to mock quite often, he didn't know how to do anything like wash his clothes as he had what he called "servants" back home.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 24, 2023, 03:24:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
England is far too overcrowded, the NHS can't cope, the roads can't cope, there's not enough houses, the electricity grid can't cope.

It's a no to back door and illegal immigration from me

At what number of people does England become overcrowded and what number should we be attempting to keep it down to?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 24, 2023, 04:26:13 pm by Sprotyrover »
Well it’s clearly a back door, they come here todo a Masters so that takes 9 months , why do they need to ring their families? One issue for me is our Universities ? All they see is £ pound signs I would love to know what the degrees are in?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 24, 2023, 06:44:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Well it’s clearly a back door, they come here todo a Masters so that takes 9 months , why do they need to ring their families? One issue for me is our Universities ? All they see is £ pound signs I would love to know what the degrees are in?

If it's that clear, what's the numbers?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 24, 2023, 08:29:38 pm by drfchound »

I’ve told you before bst.
I click “like” on posts that I like.
Even if they are your posts.
So that’s nice too.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 24, 2023, 08:33:03 pm by drfchound »
In the year ending December 2022, 486,000 student visas were issued to applicants - up from 269,000 in 2019.

Last year, the number of student visas issued to dependants stood at 136,000 - an eightfold increase from 2019, when 16,000 were provided.

Why has that jumped so dramatically?  Is it a post Brexit thing?  If so that stat doesn't really compare like for like does it?

From personal experience I do remember a lot of foreign students with families over here at my university and it was always very difficult for the families to get work.  Most of them were living off rich parents back home, particulary those from the middle east and Asia.  I remember one we used to mock quite often, he didn't know how to do anything like wash his clothes as he had what he called "servants" back home.

Someone close to me used to be a college lecturer.
She said that the start of the new college year always had plenty of new overseas students and some of them brought family with them.
Some of the new overseas students would never be seen again in college after the first few weeks.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 24, 2023, 11:44:17 pm by Sprotyrover »

She said that the start of the new college year always had plenty of new overseas students and some of them brought family with them.
Some of the new overseas students would never be seen again in college after the first few weeks.
Clearly the Government has got wise to it ,that’s why they are taking action.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 25, 2023, 08:33:16 am by i_ateallthepies »

And did she also mention, Hound, that the same happens with UK students also?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 25, 2023, 08:53:28 am by Bentley Bullet »

UK students who abuse the system are our problem, overseas students who abuse the system shouldn't be.

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 25, 2023, 09:55:22 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Interesting to see labour have agreed with this move.  I'm sure bst will say they've run out of ideas also then?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 25, 2023, 10:24:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting to see labour have agreed with this move.  I'm sure bst will say they've run out of ideas also then?

Have you got a link to that. I haven't seen it.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 25, 2023, 10:53:17 am by i_ateallthepies »

UK students who abuse the system are our problem, overseas students who abuse the system shouldn't be.

I'm not accusing anyone of abusing the system BB, simply pointing out that dropping out of courses soon after commencement has always happened and it would be disingenuous to single out overseas students with families without acknowledging that the same happens with UK students and overseas students who don't bring their families.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 25, 2023, 11:01:01 am by Bentley Bullet »
Pies, I'm sure everyone is aware that some UK students drop out of courses. I'm also sure everyone is aware that allowing overseas students to come over here and do the same only exacerbates the problem.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 25, 2023, 11:53:18 am by Sprotyrover »
What’s the best option for an aspiring immigrant, pay £9k a head to some East European Gangsters for a very hazardous and mainly tedious Rubber Dinghy Ride, or £16 k to some third rate English University which gets you into the UK as snug as a bug in a rug?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 25, 2023, 12:26:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What’s the best option for an aspiring immigrant, pay £9k a head to some East European Gangsters for a very hazardous and mainly tedious Rubber Dinghy Ride, or £16 k to some third rate English University which gets you into the UK as snug as a bug in a rug?

Yeah, because they do let just anyone onto university degree courses.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 25, 2023, 01:14:12 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Acceptance rates at the following Uni’s:-

SOAS, Uni of London 90%

St Mary’s, Twickenham 91.5%

Uni of Sussex 92.2%

Aberystwyth 92.6%

Bishop Grosseteste Uni 93%

Uni for the Creative Arts 94.5%

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 25, 2023, 02:44:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

I saw it pop up on twitter so have had to look for it.  Found it at the below link from parliament.  I'm quite surprised how tough labour appear to want to be on immigration.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1661482036778135552?t=tnWL8rIWsrn0b7TET8C6ng&s=19

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 25, 2023, 04:24:02 pm by Sprotyrover »

I saw it pop up on twitter so have had to look for it.  Found it at the below link from parliament.  I'm quite surprised how tough labour appear to want to be on immigration.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1661482036778135552?t=tnWL8rIWsrn0b7TET8C6ng&s=19
I can’t believe some of the replies on Twitter by I suspect Labour voters!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 25, 2023, 04:57:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Thanks BFYP.

That's a very, very bad call from Labour.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 25, 2023, 06:35:03 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Pies, I'm sure everyone is aware that some UK students drop out of courses. I'm also sure everyone is aware that allowing overseas students to come over here and do the same only exacerbates the problem.

Exacerbates? it hasn't been considered a problem until now, now that it can be used as another stick to beat foreigners with.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 25, 2023, 06:39:19 pm by drfchound »

Pies, after your post above I waited until I could ask her about that.
She said that it was much more likely for the foreign students to disappear from courses than for home based students.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 25, 2023, 06:53:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Exacerbates? it hasn't been considered a problem until now, now that it can be used as another stick to beat foreigners with.
Yes it has, it's just that no one has done anything about it until now!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 25, 2023, 07:00:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
How on earth did this transition into a discussion about students vanishing?

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 25, 2023, 08:33:44 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Thanks BFYP.

That's a very, very bad call from Labour.

I'm torn, I see your original point in a way but I'm not convinced it should be an open door for students plus families.

Politically labour probably has more to gain from the move than objecting it.  But I don't see how minimising immigration aligns with some of the other things they have said and this is a problem with labour strategy a little, it feels a bit disjointed and contradictory at times.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012