Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 08:04:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: todays game  (Read 6007 times)

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
Re: todays game
« Reply #30 on July 29, 2023, 04:51:42 pm by Barmby Rover »
I don't think the Stoke commentator has once got Satona's name correct, fairly moronic, not the most difficult to pronounce.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 29, 2023, 04:55:29 pm by scawsby steve »
I don't think the Stoke commentator has once got Satona's name correct, fairly moronic, not the most difficult to pronounce.

Nor the most difficult to spell.

Sorry, mate, I couldn't resist.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 29, 2023, 05:01:00 pm by scawsby steve »
All over. 1-0.

It sounds like Molyneux had a great game.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 29, 2023, 05:09:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »

What about Sotona's name though?

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 29, 2023, 05:41:09 pm by monkeytennis »
All over. 1-0.

It sounds like Molyneux had a great game.

Should have been MotM really. Much better second half 

I think today shows that there are still a couple of players (Biggins/Miller) who need to get with the new programme a bit.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 29, 2023, 05:46:39 pm by ctay »
I thought it was fairly even to be honest. We had the better of the second half. Anybody know why Taylor wasn’t involved? A steward told me Anderson is on his way to Accrington. Not sure how true it is?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 29, 2023, 05:55:15 pm by glosterred »
A good workout for both teams, two even teams, some niggly tackles from both side getting ready for next week. Taylor is just resting after playing two 60 minutes in the last week, something he hasn’t done for a while. Don’t think I can remember Lawlor making a save in the last 2 games, the closes anyone has come is PV hitting the bar in the first half

COYR

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 29, 2023, 06:01:48 pm by RobTheRover »
I enjoyed that. Rovers looked very solid defensively, and I thought Owen Bailey was our MOTM in the first half. He and Molyneux were linking really well. Good to see Close getting stuck in too. Ironside got nothing from the ref all game. He was being fouled constantly, shirt being pulled, arms round his waist as he's getting away. Weak refereeing but he needs to adapt his game because there will be matches like that this season. Raise his own physicality to dominate his opponent.  Sotona did well when he came on. He really is like lightning when he sets off.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 29, 2023, 06:14:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
First half very scrappy with neither team able to wrestle control. The persistent fouling of Ironside was a frustration, as the referee chose not to punish PV for it.
The midfield 3 were not as efficient as the Tuesday night 3, but that changed in the second half, with Bailey reverting to the central role, alongside Broadbent (what a combo these 2 are going to be). Roberts also subbed off for Sotona and Miller on for Ironside. What an impact Sotona had, almost immediately- 2 or 3 step overs a cross and Broadbent finished.
Notably, Close had to be subbed due to, what looked like, a back injury. That may well be him out for a while? Biggins covered a lot of grass but did little with the ball. I think GM needs to get his thinking cap on with the midfield!
Much stiffer challenge than Tuesday, which we came out on top again and another clean sheet (thanks to the crossbar).
Work to do this week and I’d like to see Sterry back in the reckoning.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 06:19:38 pm by Alan Southstand »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 29, 2023, 06:14:52 pm by tyke1962 »
What were Vale like please guys ? , they are our opponents next Saturday at Oakwell .

Thanks in advance .

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 29, 2023, 06:15:58 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Really enjoyed that.

Ironside is a real handful and gives us an outlet, holds ball up well, wins flick ons and brings others into the game.

Molyneux looks good but his final ball has been lacking in both last two games, as it was last season. Over hit quite a few crosses.

Bailey did OK at RB but much better in CM.

I thought Senior had a bit of a tough day at LB and Maxwell looked good when he came on so will be great competition there.

Nixon looks a decent player at RB.

Wood/Olowu at the back look solid. One lose pass from Olowu but other than that he looks class now he is at the side of someone decent. Between em won 90% of the aerial battles and both composed on the ball.

When Close/Rowe went off and Broadbent/Bailey went in the middle I thought we looked a lot better. Much more mobile.

Sotona looks quick but think GM has it right that he needs some work.

All in all great to watch, plenty of attacking, shots from all over, crosses in the box, Lawlor didn't have a save to make and notably didn't kick the ball straight into touch even once!

The high pressure style is great, giving teams no time on the ball.

To have beaten Champ and L1 opposition in the manner we have is very encouraging.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 29, 2023, 06:24:46 pm by Alan Southstand »
Hard to say, Tyke, as they seemed content to bypass midfield with a more direct style.
They have a big unit in goal, but he’s constantly wandering out of his 18 yard box - ideal if you can break on them and lob him (which we nearly did on one occasion this afternoon).

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 29, 2023, 06:26:28 pm by RobTheRover »
What were Vale like please guys ? , they are our opponents next Saturday at Oakwell .

Thanks in advance .

Organised. Moved the ball well. Had very little cutting edge.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 29, 2023, 06:36:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The good news is we definitely look more secure defensively.

The not so good news is the midfield combinations aren't nailed down yet.

First half, we allowed them to play their passing game while we were living off scaps. The midfield combo of Close, Biggins and Rowe isn't right. What is right, I'm still not entirely sure but Bailey looked wasted and unsure at right back. We were strolling about too much in the first half and couldn't get much going when in possession  all too much of playing it up to Ironside and hoping for the best.

Second half, it was noticeable we pressed much better and forced PV off their game and into mistakes. It became more like what we saw v Wednesday.

For me, I think if we can play that pressing game for larger spells of 90 mins, we're going to be a threat. There's an absence of cultured football but if we get the basics right, we'll overpower some teams and hope we can nick a goal.

Playing PV was a good test today to assess our strengths and weaknesses. Not sure how McCann will assess it but it's down to him to get the right combinations to put us on the front foot. What that is, I'm not sure.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 29, 2023, 07:14:00 pm by steve@dcfd »
Until Sterry is fit we have to be careful with Nixon let’s hope Sterry can play some part on Tuesday.
Bailey was tried at right back to give Nixon some time off. Far better when him and Broadbent play on midfield the third place is up for grabs. But would be Rowe for me. We all hope tha Close can play again on Tuesday we don’t want him missing for an excessive time. Westbrooke where is he no mention.
Well the front three worked hard Ironside takes some stick. Molyneux as changed from last season fitter faster and is a threat. Roberts was up against a strong quick right back and was not as good as Tuesday he will learn
More mobility when Miller and Sotona came on and with Broadbent in midfield we looked better.
Taylor was he given the game off
Hurst where was he
Sterry how close to fitness
Westbrooke when will he be fit
Will Anderson play on Tuesday
Close hope he’s ok.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 29, 2023, 07:33:06 pm by jmt23 »
We were chasing shadows for much of the first half, they were clever with the ball, more organised and faster - but without any cutting edge, barring a hell of a shot from range hitting the bar.

The second half we edged, we had more threat than them, Molyneux was really beginning to grow into the game and became more confident the longer it went on, he looks seriously fit this year!

I thought Bailey did well at right back, but it’s not where we need to see him, I think him and close would be good together in midfield - but it still looks like a problem area to me.
Ironside, I am just not sold on yet, he does get stuck in and gets fouled a hell of a lot, but seems very slow to respond, still time for him yet though.

Hard to tell how good either team are based on that, but I would see PV as nothing more than mid table in league 1. Where we will finish is hard to assess, better than last season is a certainty though.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 29, 2023, 07:35:30 pm by Ryaldinhio »
GM post match interview on YouTube now.

I love every interview the man does. He is perfect for us right now.

Not afraid to tell players how it is and the standards he expects. Said at HT "If your trying to save yourself for next week you won't be playing" , quality.

Sounds like Taylor/Hurst/Sterry will be involved in game on Tuesday.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 29, 2023, 07:43:14 pm by Chris Black come back »
That’s it isn’t it? Next match is on Saturday against Harrogate.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 29, 2023, 07:46:43 pm by scawsby steve »
That’s it isn’t it? Next match is on Saturday against Harrogate.

Behind closed doors friendly with Huddersfield on Tuesday.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 29, 2023, 07:59:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
For Close to play midfield he’ll have to be fit and also displace Tommy. Bailey and Broadbent should be first two in midfield they showed against Wednesday and also when they where together second half if they had played together in the first half then we wouldn’t have been chasing shadows as you put it. I didn’t think we were anyway. But the midfield three of Close Biggins and Rowe were not as good.
The video on YouTube very good Grant says it how it was first half the midfield was mediocre for me and lacked pace.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:09:05 pm by steve@dcfd »

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 29, 2023, 08:12:28 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Tyke.
Their goalie is a big old unit. Get ready for the very long throw outs from him. His drop kicks are long with a very low trajectory. They like to shoot from 20/25 yards without any outstanding individual performances. Their number 9 spent more time fouling than he did with the ball.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 29, 2023, 08:39:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
For Close to play midfield he’ll have to be fit and also displace Tommy. Bailey and Broadbent should be first two in midfield they showed against Wednesday and also when they where together second half if they had played together in the first half then we wouldn’t have been chasing shadows as you put it. I didn’t think we were anyway. But the midfield three of Close Biggins and Rowe were not as good.
The video on YouTube very good Grant says it how it was first half the midfield was mediocre for me and lacked pace.

I would agree with that. I'd start with the same XI as v Owls but with Roberts instead of Taylor.

Bailey, Broadbent and Rowe in midfield. Set the standard, secure the point first and foremost. If as the game progresses, and we want to open things up if the opposition tires, then bring Close on for Rowe or jiggle things about a bit. We should have plenty of options from the bench.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 29, 2023, 08:48:05 pm by ncRover »
I thought it was fairly even to be honest. We had the better of the second half. Anybody know why Taylor wasn’t involved? A steward told me Anderson is on his way to Accrington. Not sure how true it is?

Not sure but they have lost a few centre backs and he’s from that way.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 10:19:06 pm by ncRover »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on July 29, 2023, 09:02:03 pm by RobTheRover »
Tyke.
Their goalie is a big old unit. Get ready for the very long throw outs from him. His drop kicks are long with a very low trajectory. They like to shoot from 20/25 yards without any outstanding individual performances. Their number 9 spent more time fouling than he did with the ball.

And their No6 (blonde centre back) loves to hold and foul so get your striker backing into him, and a half decent ref (we didn't have that today) will give a lot of free kicks

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 29, 2023, 10:34:02 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Tyke.

And their No6 (blonde centre back) loves to hold and foul so get your striker backing into him, and a half decent ref (we didn't have that today) will give a lot of free kicks

As I understand it ‘tyke’ is a Barnsley supporter not their manager.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 29, 2023, 11:12:25 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Tyke.

I did think that..... :laugh:

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 30, 2023, 09:05:16 am by tyke1962 »
Thanks everyone for your replies , from what I've read Vale haven't added to their squad at all this summer although that could obviously change this week .

They also fell away in the second half of the season after holding their own up until January .

That generally spells trouble for the next season .

You always hope of course to get the new season off to a good start especially if your at home on the opening day and we really should have more than enough to see Vale off .

Which isn't to say that will happen of course .

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 30, 2023, 09:20:31 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
A couple of views from a Vale perspective.

https://youtu.be/Z4UrKkq6T_Y

https://youtu.be/1utnTQ7OScM

The final whistle reaction  of the young lad confirms it was a game of two halves!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 12:36:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 30, 2023, 12:14:32 pm by RobTheRover »
Tyke.

How can you be so sure, Colin?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 30, 2023, 06:12:36 pm by danumdon »
A couple of views from a Vale perspective.

https://youtu.be/Z4UrKkq6T_Y

https://youtu.be/1utnTQ7OScM

The final whistle reaction  of the young lad confirms it was a game of two halves!!

In the second video, notice how the blond tubby kid behind the reporter morphs into a full grown bloke by the second half.

Those new food outlets must be bloody good.!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012