Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:15:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lionesses  (Read 6119 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Lionesses
« on August 07, 2023, 08:09:13 pm by scawsby steve »
I know that not everyone is into women's football, but I was proud of the girls today. They've always had good technical skills, but today they had to show grit and fight, when playing the whole of extra time with 10 players, against a team that had bossed them throughout the game.

As for the penalty shoot-out, Chloe Kelly showed exactly how to bury a penalty under pressure.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
Re: Lionesses
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2023, 08:11:40 pm by Donny Dub »
They were very fortunate to get past Nigeria.  They missed their first penalty too!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2023, 08:19:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, a very tough day at the office against a very strong Nigeria.

Not very often we see the petulance shown by Lauren James in the women's game.

From that point I thought they managed the game really well. Unfortunately for Nigeria, the pressure of the moment seemed to get to them. Less so for us.

Hope they learn from that and go and win it. It will not be easy that's for sure.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2023, 08:51:27 pm by Chris Black come back »
Some really terrible penalties. Man City not great yesterday either. Just hit the target.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2023, 09:05:15 pm by Michael Shaw »
As a football fan it's great to see football and that includes women's football. A win is a win no matter how it is achieved and they are through to the quarter finals.  A shame Lauren James let herself down so badly. Sarina Wiegman is doing England proud and it's nice to see a team that nearly always wins.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2023, 09:07:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
To win any tournament you need luck. Let's hope ours continues and we lift the trophy.

COME ON ENGLAND!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2023, 09:11:22 pm by scawsby steve »
Just to add an addendum. Chloe's penalty has been measured at 111 mph. More powerful than any goal scored in the men's Premier League in 2022/23.

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2023, 09:19:21 pm by KingKendrick »
111kph more like which is 68mph. Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good lie though eh

https://twitter.com/soccerbible/status/1688543533009969153?s=46&t=M6VB0c2oFp-VXOu3FS8wfA
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 09:21:58 pm by KingKendrick »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 07, 2023, 09:27:52 pm by scawsby steve »
111kph more like which is 68mph. Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good lie though eh

https://twitter.com/soccerbible/status/1688543533009969153?s=46&t=M6VB0c2oFp-VXOu3FS8wfA

I wasn't lying. I don't tell lies, I read it wrong.

I was right about the second part though, which is more relevant.

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 07, 2023, 09:32:29 pm by KingKendrick »
Not comparable though Benrahma’s was the fastest average speed on a goal scored outside the area. Not a dead ball from 12 yards. You can’t just cherry pick certain stats.
Good pen though regardless especially under the pressure.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 09:45:06 pm by KingKendrick »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2023, 09:41:42 pm by drfchound »
I am very surprised that the Lionesses’ World Cup progress hasn’t been discussed on the forum before today.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2023, 09:57:41 pm by DRFC_AjA »
I am very surprised that the Lionesses’ World Cup progress hasn’t been discussed on the forum before today.

Because now the men's season has begun there's more interest in Hull away on a Tuesday night. Soz but just the way it is

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2023, 10:05:47 pm by drfchound »

Because now the men's season has begun there's more interest in Hull away on a Tuesday night. Soz but just the way it is

The World Cup started two weeks ago.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 07, 2023, 10:47:05 pm by MachoMadness »
The games being on at half 8 in a morning probably don't help. I'm on my morning commute at that time and miss a big chunk of the games.

Some great stuff this year though. You can tell how high the standard is across the board now based on teams like Nigeria. England rode their luck today, and there are some tough teams on either side of the draw, but we have a great chance of winning it. Just a shame James will likely miss it, but she can't complain.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 08, 2023, 06:31:00 am by Donnywolf »
I'm puzzled as to why Lionesses were saved by the Crossbar 3 times

I'm off the opinion that the belter of a shot from Left Back was too high , and (I agree) had beaten Earps but it merely hit the Bar

I could forgive Commentators and Pundits if they said Nigeria were unlucky to hit the Bar because that's not the same

I know what I mean , but it's from the same stable as a Goalkeeper in a game scrambles a ball away and Commentator says " he / she just about kept that out "

No , no , they did keep it out.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 08, 2023, 07:53:01 am by graingrover »
Three ex Belles in that team too.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 08, 2023, 08:56:00 am by drfchound »
The games being on at half 8 in a morning probably don't help. I'm on my morning commute at that time and miss a big chunk of the games.

Some great stuff this year though. You can tell how high the standard is across the board now based on teams like Nigeria. England rode their luck today, and there are some tough teams on either side of the draw, but we have a great chance of winning it. Just a shame James will likely miss it, but she can't complain.

I have watched the England games and some of the others.
The standard across the board is much better than it was five or six years ago although some teams are still a bit kick and chase with two or three good players trying to pass the ball.
Still good to watch though and you just accept that it isn’t going to be like the mens game.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2023, 09:01:01 am by graingrover »
Millie Bright and Belles ( quote in Wiki).

Club career
2009–2015: Doncaster Rovers Belles
Described by the club as "a tall, powerful, athletic striker with a good eye for goal," Bright made her Belles debut as a substitute against Watford at the Keepmoat Stadium in August 2009.[13] She scored her first goal on the occasion of her first start, in the following month's 5–0 FA Women's Premier League Cup win at Leeds City Vixens.[13] She was awarded a contract for the inaugural 2011 season of the FA WSL, making five substitute appearances.[14] At her own request, Bright then went on loan to Leeds United in their 2011–12 FA Women's Premier League season and debuted on her 18th birthday, scoring a goal after entering play as a substitute.[15]

When Bright returned to Doncaster she had developed into a regular first team starter.[16] Bright was critical of The Football Association's decision to demote Doncaster Rovers Belles from the WSL in favour of Manchester City one game into the 2013 season: "It was heartbreaking. It felt like we weren't respected or even wanted in the league, purely based on money. It should be about the level you play at, not how much money you have. That season, we just felt what's the point?"[17]

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 08, 2023, 09:04:35 am by graingrover »
« Still good to watch though and you just accept that it isn’t going to be like the men's game. »
Let’s hope NOT Donnywolf ,in many many ways though the cynicism of the stamping incident by James is maybe the thin end of a wedge .Football quickly develops rôle models in big tournaments.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 08, 2023, 09:44:41 am by colincramb »
They don’t look at their best at all, but that’s probably got to do with the amount of injuries to some of their best players prior to this tournament. That’s now compounded by arguably the best player in the team being suspended, probably for the rest of the competition.

I think they will come up just short, possibly at the semi final stage. I think it might end up being a Spain v Australia final, with Spain edging it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 08, 2023, 09:50:32 am by Chris Black come back »
The keeper also played for Belles. You would imagine that had the authorities not cheated us, we would have had some representation at this and previous world cups.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 08, 2023, 10:23:15 am by IDM »
I’d have Japan as favourites at present, followed by the Netherlands.  Hosts Australia can’t be ruled out either.

Before the tournament I thought England would reach the quarter finals but with a poor ish build up and key players injured, they wouldn’t be my choice for winners.  Nor the USA who despite eventually turning up vs Sweden got wha they deserved IMHO.

The rankings don’t make much sense. No way are Nigeria the 40th best country - even if England weren’t at their best the opponents were very good nonetheless..

But in last years Euros England overcame potentially better opponents in Spain and Germany to win, and without Lauren James in the squad.

Anything is possible.  England don’t concede goals often (only one penalty in regular game time) in 4 matches. Semi finals would be beyond my expectations but they are still in the tournament so could win.

As for no comments here yet, I am surprised too, and had thought of starting threads but have been mega busy elsewhere.  Nowt to do with the domestic mens season starting, that’s just a silly comment.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 08, 2023, 10:35:41 am by Metalmicky »
I don't fancy England against these Columbians - they seem very physical and might out muscle our girls.... or bump them of the park.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 08, 2023, 10:48:22 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
As it stands, facing Columbia next will be another different challenge. They will be very disruptive and hope to catch us on the break. Our discipline and organisation should be enough but it's goals that win games.

I wasn't very hopeful of England's chances until the China game when she changed the formation leading to us playing more on the deck. James got the headlines but the formation change gave us the advantage. Missing James is not the end of the world.

Tend to agree that Spain, Japan and the Dutch look very strong.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 08, 2023, 10:53:00 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't fancy England against these Columbians - they seem very physical and might out muscle our girls.... or bump them of the park.

Our girls can take the physical stuff too. Nigeria gave us a real test.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 08, 2023, 12:19:28 pm by VivaRovers »

That, or perhaps it's because every time women's football is discussed on this board some bore feels the need to join the thread purely to belittle it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 08, 2023, 12:37:14 pm by GazLaz »
Just to add an addendum. Chloe's penalty has been measured at 111 mph. More powerful than any goal scored in the men's Premier League in 2022/23.

30mph less than the men’s EPL goal speed record.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 08, 2023, 12:37:31 pm by Plumbster »
I think it’s great to watch, some very good technical players and, whilst some cynicism is creeping in, generally played in a great spirit. England are not technically the most accomplished but their team ethic is strong and they have an excellent manager. I fancy the Aussies, or rather the Matildas , to win.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 08, 2023, 12:39:12 pm by idler »
I think it’s great to watch, some very good technical players and, whilst some cynicism is creeping in, generally played in a great spirit. England are not technically the most accomplished but their team ethic is strong and they have an excellent manager. I fancy the Aussies, or rather the Matildas , to win.
They might not waltz it though.  :unsure:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 08, 2023, 03:50:02 pm by drfchound »

There is quite a bit of cynicism creeping into the womens game.
Lots of shirt pulling and diving on show on this World Cup too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012