Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:30:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Notts County game  (Read 6421 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Notts County game
« on August 16, 2023, 10:55:41 am by selby »
  The start of renewing games against old adversaries, and after a better but far from perfect display last night, but an entertaining one, we have another good game to look forward to and see if at long last we can get a little consistency into our game and go on a little run of unbeaten games to gain some confidence.
  Notts County themselves Dominated 75% possession in a 0-0 draw at Morecambe but only had 9 shots at goal to Morecambe's 13 so look to be finding the step up a little difficult while at the same time playing good possession football, and in Longstaff, McGoldrick, and Bostock have some useful experienced players who can give us some trouble.
  Getting promotion from the National league last season means they too will be physical and quick in midfield stopping play building up, something we have yet to come to terms with and highlighted last night again where we have young talented players who will only get better if we are patient, at least they showed character last night and battled, and will learn from the experience, we are after all work in progress and will get better.
  Anderson I expect to be unable to play Faulkner probably being added to the squad, but the main thing is we must stop making silly mistakes the two goals last night of our own making when we had good possession and gave the ball away stupidly, for how good Mansfield were, their two goals were unnecessarily gifted to them by slack play and lack of concentration.
  Apart from Anderson and any tactical alterations Grant see's fit against different opposition or injury I think the players deserve another crack and changes should be minimal, but we cannot afford to play well then poorly like we have up to press we need consistency.
  What do you think?
  Would you make changes?
  We are off the mark, can we build on it?
  We have had great support loud and proud, are you enjoying games again?
  Can you, like me see progress being made?
   Our mid field is full of young players we need patience with, fitness was brought up as a problem on one thread, they are fit, just as fit as Mansfield, but their up against players four years more experienced and mature in their body's, they will not be overpowered shortly as they will soon learn, we need a little patience we could have a very good young side in the near future.
   Lot's to discuss about the game, the possible return of Bostock one subject, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Notts County game
« Reply #1 on August 16, 2023, 11:02:03 am by roversdude »
Haven’t seen anything of Notts County during their upward trajectory but we need to get straight into Bostock we can’t afford to let him dictate play.
Same starting team with exception of Wood for Anderson. However I’d definitely bring our wingers (Deji and Robert’s) on earlier on Saturday

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 16, 2023, 11:34:16 am by ncRover »
We can beat these they’ve had a poor start. Some pace up top and runs in behind will be important they play a high line. Good team for us to play they are process driven play out from the back, press needs to be aggressive like v Hull.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 16, 2023, 12:23:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
The back four that finished will probably start.
Maxwell and Faulkner on the bench as cover.
Midfield. If fit then Broadbent Bailey and Rowe will start. Now GM picked Westbrooke because of Mansfield formation. Notts County play 343 So he might start one quicker winger instead of Westbrooke.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 16, 2023, 05:47:39 pm by dickos1 »
Notts county will have plenty of possession against us, that’s the game they play. Pass for passings sake.
Hopefully our aggressiveness and directness will be too much for them

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 17, 2023, 10:10:36 am by selby »
  I have seen them play a couple of times in the last year, they are a good side, who if they are allowed to play knock the ball around well and at pace to play through teams defences.
  They work hard and create chances, but can be got at themselves at the back as they like to play on the front foot.
  It will be a hard game for us and we need to build on the Mansfield performance not continue the good game poor game sequence or we will get beaten.
  Many unbeaten runs have started with a hard fought draw, hopefully we can put some good results together and get on a better run of results.
   The top and bottom of it is we need a result, a win really, so we can build some confidence and momentum and it will not be easy.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 10:24:51 am by selby »

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 17, 2023, 11:27:13 am by moses »
Hopefully with their style it will be more Hull than Newport.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 17, 2023, 12:14:40 pm by graingrover »
Welcome back to them ..a real club with really passionate community fans and no film stars needed .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 17, 2023, 03:45:44 pm by idler »
I did think that Chloe Kelly let herself, the team and women’s football down when she deliberately kicked the second ball o field in injury time. Rightly booked for it and not needed when 3-1 up with hardly any time left.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 17, 2023, 03:49:08 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
First game of season for me due to work commitments. Bringing my better half with me for her first taste of Rovers.

Probably her last as well but we'll see!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2023, 05:02:44 pm by bpoolrover »
I did think that Chloe Kelly let herself, the team and women’s football down when she deliberately kicked the second ball o field in injury time. Rightly booked for it and not needed when 3-1 up with hardly any time left.
come on its a semi final of a world cup and she kicked a ball on the pitch!

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2023, 05:20:44 pm by Paul Simpson »
I personally think Chloe has been superb for the Lionesses! Well done

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2023, 05:22:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Saw a bit of their first game when they got caught playing out from the back. Doesn't mean they're poor defensively and tbh, if they look at our games to date (apart from Hull) then I would guess they'd be happy to draw us into a press and try to play through us.

As long as we keep working on doing the basics better, there's no reason we can't hurt them as much as visa versa.

Obvs McGoldrick is a very good clever player but I'm sure they're not just a one man team.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 17, 2023, 08:32:37 pm by scawsby steve »

You're on the wrong thread, Idler.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 17, 2023, 08:47:54 pm by Barmby Rover »
A good side with a bad start, now kicking into gear. Another very difficult match with as many away fans as we have at home. Without Tom and a few others we might struggle, we might give a half decent performance. I would take a draw now, we may lose.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 18, 2023, 12:08:07 am by LincolnDonny »
we wont be there on saturday as Pammy(wife) is in Lincoln County hospital ..its difficult getting details from them even when i go up to see her but its looking more like Sepsis.

good luck for saturday ...

and lets all get a win in more ways than one eh?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 18, 2023, 07:48:53 am by Donnywolf »
Good luck with that LincolnDonny for a speedy recovery

Puts things in perspective

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 18, 2023, 07:53:26 am by LincsRover »
we wont be there on saturday as Pammy(wife) is in Lincoln County hospital ..its difficult getting details from them even when i go up to see her but its looking more like Sepsis.

good luck for saturday ...

and lets all get a win in more ways than one eh?

All the best Lincoln, hope Pammy makes a rapid return to full health. Sepsis is a difficult one as lots of other things have to be ruled out first but she’s in the best place & fingers crossed for you both.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 18, 2023, 08:47:15 am by roversdude »
Hope everything is ok LD

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 18, 2023, 11:01:03 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery, LD!

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 18, 2023, 03:38:17 pm by Tiddysdad »
as most of you know I work at Notts and I've watched them weekly for a long time. this season they have played the same style as last season playing out from the back and working the flanks quite a lot with Jodi Jones and Aaron Nemane who will run all day at defenders putting crosses in for langstaff and McGoldrick. McGoldrick by the way he plays on the edge of the 6 yard box and just bullies center halfs. If john Bostock play's he links up with notts new man Danny Cawley (in my opinion a very good link man someone who could be the game winner) really well with lots of quick one twos and then a telling cross Field balls to the wings. If the manager think's its going to be a battle john bostock could possibly be replaced by jim O'Brien.
the first couple of games they were playing at the pace of the national League but after the Lincoln game were they were bullied i feel that they have woken up to the fact that they are playing against better players and have to be qicker to the flicks and passes bostock makes.
i wish Donny still had him.
anyway my heart says Donny but i will be happy just not to get beaten, after all ive got to work there.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 18, 2023, 03:50:01 pm by Padge_DRFC »
A good side with a bad start, now kicking into gear. Another very difficult match with as many away fans as we have at home. Without Tom and a few others we might struggle, we might give a half decent performance. I would take a draw now, we may lose.

Why do people say stuff like this. Theyve sold 2500. Even if they sold their 4000. Rovers will be backed by 6500+ for sure on Saturday

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 18, 2023, 04:10:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Why do people say stuff like this. Theyve sold 2500. Even if they sold their 4000. Rovers will be backed by 6500+ for sure on Saturday

Maybe away fans count double?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 18, 2023, 04:40:08 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Maybe away fans count double?

They tend to be more vocal though!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 18, 2023, 04:40:53 pm by albie »
Pre-match with GM;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRV9-eXac5E

Tom concussed.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 18, 2023, 04:52:37 pm by RoversInSpain »
as most of you know I work at Notts and I've watched them weekly for a long time. this season they have played the same style as last season playing out from the back and working the flanks quite a lot with Jodi Jones and Aaron Nemane who will run all day at defenders putting crosses in for langstaff and McGoldrick. McGoldrick by the way he plays on the edge of the 6 yard box and just bullies center halfs. If john Bostock play's he links up with notts new man Danny Cawley (in my opinion a very good link man someone who could be the game winner) really well with lots of quick one twos and then a telling cross Field balls to the wings. If the manager think's its going to be a battle john bostock could possibly be replaced by jim O'Brien.
the first couple of games they were playing at the pace of the national League but after the Lincoln game were they were bullied i feel that they have woken up to the fact that they are playing against better players and have to be qicker to the flicks and passes bostock makes.
i wish Donny still had him.
anyway my heart says Donny but i will be happy just not to get beaten, after all ive got to work there.
The last two seasons we’ve been totally done over on crosses into our box, so this is a real test to stop crosses (two new full backs so a good chance of this) and failing that defend them, bit less confident on that one. 2 games unbeaten would be progress.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 18, 2023, 05:49:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I made a bold statement a couple of weeks back that Senior and Nixon will contribute to reducing the number of crosses coming into the box.

The only caveat to that is them getting outnumbered on their respective flanks.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 18, 2023, 05:58:23 pm by drfchound »
I made a bold statement a couple of weeks back that Senior and Nixon will contribute to reducing the number of crosses coming into the box.

The only caveat to that is them getting outnumbered on their respective flanks.

I think that Mansfield had 13 players on the pitch last Tuesday.
Well, it appeared to be like that because every time they attacked they had two against one on each of our full backs but they also had plenty of players in the box to attack the  inevitable crosses that came in.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 18, 2023, 06:24:22 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Broadbent and Rowe to slow getting over

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 18, 2023, 07:38:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
That’s a problem with a 433. If you demand the wide forwards get back in front on the full back then you just end up with 1 up top and have little threat. So one of the midfield 3 has to cover wide.

Even prime Liverpool could be got at like that they just had top defenders and blew teams away at the other end.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012