Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:44:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: American XL Bully  (Read 2147 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
American XL Bully
« on September 15, 2023, 12:37:20 pm by ncRover »
The breed has been banned under the dangerous dog act today.

Right decision?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Re: American XL Bully
« Reply #1 on September 15, 2023, 01:01:23 pm by belton rover »
I thought this was another Trump topic

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 15, 2023, 01:06:34 pm by Batleyred »
The xl has not been banned yet. I work with dogs everyday and it's back yard breeders putting anything together with no clue about genetics and traits. It's the same in every breed sadly.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 15, 2023, 01:10:15 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Anyone who has one needs to be honest with themselves; they bought it because they think it makes them look toughter and have a bigger d***. The new ultimate chav accessory, because wife beater tops and roses tattooed on hands weren't enough

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 15, 2023, 01:18:50 pm by turnbull for england »
Those type of dog owners are the worst, the dogs don't stand a chance .8 stone of  muscle and jaw  with no training or control. Saw a lady with a dog size of a pony yesterday, tuner and hooch type dog but heavier . She said one had gone for that other day for no reason . If it will pick a fight with that what chance a kid or small dogs . No need for them at all. Like walking around with a firearm  . At some point it'll kill somebody

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 15, 2023, 02:58:43 pm by GazLaz »
Correct decision. Those dogs are atrocious.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 15, 2023, 03:16:56 pm by ravenrover »
And yet organisations such as RSPCA Kennel Club etc say it's the wrong decision as it's down to poor breeding and useless owners!
Surely if this type of dog is available then the type who own them now will still buy them
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:18:57 pm by ravenrover »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 15, 2023, 03:21:27 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
The dogs aren't the problem, it's irresponsible dog owners and breeders that are the problem. It's just a publicity stunt by the government. Anyone would think that there's an election due soon.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 15, 2023, 03:42:01 pm by DRFC_AjA »
The dogs aren't the problem, it's irresponsible dog owners and breeders that are the problem. It's just a publicity stunt by the government. Anyone would think that there's an election due soon.

The breeders bred the dog, and the dog is the end product. The end product is the problem, the dog IS the problem

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 15, 2023, 03:50:32 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Is that similar to saying that guns aren't the problem in mass shootings?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 15, 2023, 07:32:40 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

The breeders bred the dog, and the dog is the end product. The end product is the problem, the dog IS the problem

You should judge all dogs on their behaviour and not their appearance or breed.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 15, 2023, 07:34:16 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Guns are made with the purpose to kill. Dogs aren’t. All dogs can be trained to be vicious.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 15, 2023, 07:54:08 pm by GazLaz »
Most dogs snap and bite. I step on our Shih Tzu accidentally now and again. He has a right pop. Wouldn’t fancy my foot if that was an XL Bully.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 15, 2023, 07:58:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think the name is a bit of a giveaway.

Of course dogs are made to kill. They are carnivores. The question is, why would ANYONE want to share their life with a 40kg four legged creature built like Mike Tyson, with the physique, energy and strength to attack and kill other large creatures?

Saying "Well they haven't been trained right" when they rip someone's neck out is a bit of a weak second order argument.

It's exactly akin to someone saying that mass shootings are the sole fault of the shooter, and a society that normalises and accepts the domestication of a potentially deadly thing isn't at fault.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 15, 2023, 08:46:31 pm by DRFC_AjA »

The "it's the owners" or "it's not the dogs who are vicious" has no credit with these dogs sorry. I get that in theory you could train a jack Russell to attack...but these dogs are literally bred to be killers. It. Is. The. Dogs

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 15, 2023, 08:48:52 pm by TonySoprano »
Correct decision, but I do think it's irresponsible owners who's at fault.

But much easier to ban a type of dog, than to ban certain people from owning one.

Literally no point in owning one of them, it's purely a symbol to make them feel hard.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 15, 2023, 08:53:13 pm by ravenrover »
The problem is also that if you remove one breed of dog these people will turn to another
What have we gone from Staffies, Pitbulls XLbullies.... there is always a breed they can fall back on

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 15, 2023, 09:01:37 pm by Nudga »
I think the name is a bit of a giveaway.

Of course dogs are made to kill. They are carnivores. The question is, why would ANYONE want to share their life with a 40kg four legged creature built like Mike Tyson, with the physique, energy and strength to attack and kill other large creatures?

Saying "Well they haven't been trained right" when they rip someone's neck out is a bit of a weak second order argument.

It's exactly akin to someone saying that mass shootings are the sole fault of the shooter, and a society that normalises and accepts the domestication of a potentially deadly thing isn't at fault.

I share my life with a 55kg Rottweiler. Amazing dog, friendly, loves people and other dogs. Highly intelligent and has an acute awareness of danger and when to put himself in front of me or my missus, he can do this without having to bark or snarl at someone.
I'd rather have a pint with him than a 60kg know-it-all t**t like you.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 15, 2023, 09:48:45 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
You can't look at the footage of these dogs attacking, the damage done to kids etc and think it's right.

I have a genuine fear of all dogs of any size, I wouldn't want them banned, but these ones, it just doesn't feel right the way they act.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 15, 2023, 09:49:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
60kg. Heh!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 15, 2023, 09:53:27 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

The "it's the owners" or "it's not the dogs who are vicious" has no credit with these dogs sorry. I get that in theory you could train a jack Russell to attack...but these dogs are literally bred to be killers. It. Is. The. Dogs

You're right, they are bred to be killers by some moronic owners. Just as an alsation, doberman, rottweiler etc could be. Are you calling for them to be banned too? All dogs can be trained by breeders and owners to be attack dogs just as all dogs can be trained to be well behaved animals/pets. The problem IS the breeders and owners who train these dogs to be killers.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 15, 2023, 09:57:50 pm by Nudga »
This is a dog lover Vs dog hater debate, absolutely pointless thread.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 15, 2023, 10:24:51 pm by 5minstogo »
I come into contact with a lot of dogs daily and it really is a case of badly trained v well-trained.

The difference is you stand a good chance of controlling a dog less than  20kg.. I've met XL Bully's soft as muck but also seen on video what they are capable of. What is apparent however is that they've become an accessory for the dregs of society and that's a massive problem.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 15, 2023, 11:26:23 pm by scawsby steve »
If it's the owner's fault, then here's the opportunity to do something about it. Apparently, the guy is being charged with manslaughter.

Give the tw*t the maximum sentence that manslaughter carries.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 15, 2023, 11:47:47 pm by ncRover »
Not necessarily Nudga, I’m a dog lover and owner and I think the ban is the most sensible and practical way to go about it. Anything else can’t realistically be implemented.

There’s irresponsible dog owners with badly trained dogs of other breeds (including I’m sure some big and powerful ones) but we aren’t seeing a spate of stories about attacks with other breeds. There’s a pattern here.

We are overlooking the fact that these Bully’s are selected for breeding based on their aggression, which coupled with their size and bite makes them incredibly dangerous.

You could put an XL bully with behavioural issues with a perfect dog trainer, but it could still overpower them and get loose from its lead if it wanted to. And when they do good luck stopping one.

Other breeds are available and human lives are obviously far more important.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 11:50:42 pm by ncRover »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 16, 2023, 01:09:31 am by Bristol Red Rover »

Guns are made with the purpose to kill. Dogs aren’t. All dogs can be trained to be vicious.

Some will argue that all dogs are bred for a purpose. What is the purpose for American Bullies, for instance?

On the other hand, some will say guns are made for firing a bullet, which is used for a number of purposes including hunting, target shooting, mucking around with knobs to boost business opportunities and drink whisky, looking tough, substituting being an adult, keeping Klingons at bay, defending your family, defending your second amendment, keeping other drug dealers off your patch and so on.

Similar stuff really.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 16, 2023, 07:31:23 am by DRFC_AjA »
Indeed what is the purpose of the xl  :headbang: other than being a pen** extension

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 16, 2023, 08:32:36 am by Nudga »
Not necessarily Nudga, I’m a dog lover and owner and I think the ban is the most sensible and practical way to go about it. Anything else can’t realistically be implemented.

There’s irresponsible dog owners with badly trained dogs of other breeds (including I’m sure some big and powerful ones) but we aren’t seeing a spate of stories about attacks with other breeds. There’s a pattern here.

We are overlooking the fact that these Bully’s are selected for breeding based on their aggression, which coupled with their size and bite makes them incredibly dangerous.

You could put an XL bully with behavioural issues with a perfect dog trainer, but it could still overpower them and get loose from its lead if it wanted to. And when they do good luck stopping one.

It's more of the generalisation that big dog breeds are dangerous killers.
I've had German Shepherds and Rottweilers for twenty years now and I get the comments daily about how dangerous they are, most of the time while the other person's little Terrier is kicking off and trying to bite my dogs face, but then it's "funny" because theirs has got "small man syndrome".

There will be hundreds of babies and toddlers attacked and bitten by small dogs but it never makes the news. I know obviously large breeds do more damage and it's harder to control them once they've gone but it's that that sells papers.

I agree that the XL bully is usually owned by council estate scratters or no neck jacked up body builders who have zero clue about training a dog and more importantly, socializing it.
To do these  two thjngs you've got to get them out twice a day early in their life in busy park areas so that they are constantly coming into contact with people and other dogs and using treats and positive actions as reward for going anything good, no matter how trivial.

Usually, these Kitsons just take them to the shop for a can of energy drink or the local park where kids are playing with footballs etc.

I've seen large breed rescue dogs with massive problems become a totally different dog within 6 months because the owner took the time to train them and socialize them.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 16, 2023, 08:57:19 am by drfchound »

I've had German Shepherds and Rottweilers for twenty years now and I get the comments daily about how dangerous they are, most of the time while the other person's little Terrier is kicking off and trying to bite my dogs face, but then it's "funny" because theirs has got "small man syndrome".

There will be hundreds of babies and toddlers attacked and bitten by small dogs but it never makes the news. I know obviously large breeds do more damage and it's harder to control them once they've gone but it's that that sells papers.

I agree that the XL bully is usually owned by council estate scratters or no neck jacked up body builders who have zero clue about training a dog and more importantly, socializing it.
To do these  two thjngs you've got to get them out twice a day early in their life in busy park areas so that they are constantly coming into contact with people and other dogs and using treats and positive actions as reward for going anything good, no matter how trivial.

Usually, these Kitsons just take them to the shop for a can of energy drink or the local park where kids are playing with footballs etc.

I've seen large breed rescue dogs with massive problems become a totally different dog within 6 months because the owner took the time to train them and socialize them.

Great post Nudga.
I have had four German Shepherds over the years and they have all been superbly well behaved and sociable with other dogs and people.
All down to taking time to train them properly.
I guess that I’m one of those people who likes to share his life with a 40kg animal.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 08:59:36 am by drfchound »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 16, 2023, 10:57:07 am by GazLaz »

Great post Nudga.
I have had four German Shepherds over the years and they have all been superbly well behaved and sociable with other dogs and people.
All down to taking time to train them properly.
I guess that I’m one of those people who likes to share his life with a 40kg animal.

It’s nothing to do with the size is it? It’s their mentality and their capacity to do damage.

By the way, if you believe nurture can overcome all aspects of nature, science says you are wrong.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012