Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 09:10:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Labour U Turns Part 164  (Read 32642 times)

albie

• Forum Member
Re: Labour U Turns Part 164
« Reply #660 on June 02, 2024, 01:07:44 am by albie »
Sunday Times now reporting DA has been offered a place in the House of Lords, if she gives up her seat in Hackney for one of his parachute clones.

I thought he was supposed to be abolishing the HoL?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #661 on June 02, 2024, 03:51:49 pm by Sprotyrover »
She deserves it and the issues with her sons problems won’t damage Labour!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #662 on June 02, 2024, 04:01:14 pm by drfchound »
When she was on tv the other day telling us that she will be the candidate for her current constituency the microphone in her hand was shaking profusely.
Has she got Parkinson’s disease because I don’t think it will have been nerves making her shake like that.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #663 on June 02, 2024, 04:08:25 pm by danumdon »
When she was on tv the other day telling us that she will be the candidate for her current constituency the microphone in her hand was shaking profusely.
Has she got Parkinson’s disease because I don’t think it will have been nerves making her shake like that.

She may have had health issues for quite a while Hound, there could be some background info that we are not party to that the Labour leadership are aware of and we're in the process of attempting to help her through.

The cack handedness way it's been dealt with notwithstanding.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #664 on June 02, 2024, 04:16:47 pm by drfchound »

She may have had health issues for quite a while Hound, there could be some background info that we are not party to that the Labour leadership are aware of and we're in the process of attempting to help her through.

The cack handedness way it's been dealt with notwithstanding.

I don’t think that banning her because she might have Parkinson’s is a valid reason, if indeed that had been the case.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #665 on June 02, 2024, 07:49:57 pm by albie »
DA denies the peerage story, and says she will stand for Labour;
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-labour-mp-election-mp-win-b2555336.html

All as clear as mud.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #666 on June 03, 2024, 12:03:54 pm by SydneyRover »
DA denies the peerage story, and says she will stand for Labour;
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-labour-mp-election-mp-win-b2555336.html

All as clear as mud.

Sounds like the murdoch media, make up a headline story about labour, then the next day a headline about the denial of it.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #667 on June 03, 2024, 01:54:48 pm by albie »
No Syd, it is briefing from Labour HQ to try to set a news agenda.

On some occasions, the briefings are true.....other briefings are meant as disinformation.
It happens every day to lobby journos.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #668 on June 03, 2024, 02:42:41 pm by SydneyRover »

On some occasions, the briefings are true.....other briefings are meant as disinformation.

Do you have any proof Albie? I know you don't mind me asking.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #669 on June 03, 2024, 04:31:00 pm by albie »
Syd,

The lobby is a main plank of the UK system.
It is explained here;
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainer/parliamentary-lobby

It is used to direct media interest towards certain topics and divert away from others.
In addition, it is used to try to frame the media narrative, so that how the story is covered supports a particular view.

Lots of info online if you want to check.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #670 on June 03, 2024, 06:20:54 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Sunday Times now reporting DA has been offered a place in the House of Lords, if she gives up her seat in Hackney for one of his parachute clones.

I thought he was supposed to be abolishing the HoL?
to summarise labour it is almost as if they know that by putting no effort in won't make a difference to getting votes.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #671 on June 03, 2024, 06:21:38 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Syd,

The lobby is a main plank of the UK system.
It is explained here;
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainer/parliamentary-lobby

It is used to direct media interest towards certain topics and divert away from others.
In addition, it is used to try to frame the media narrative, so that how the story is covered supports a particular view.

Lots of info online if you want to check.

all these thinktanks I.e. institute for economic affairs

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #672 on June 03, 2024, 06:45:41 pm by SydneyRover »

Will try another way, have you got a copy of the briefing?

PS: I know how parliamentary lobbying and think tanks work

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #673 on June 03, 2024, 07:21:18 pm by drfchound »
Gareth Keenan is still alive and well.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #674 on June 06, 2024, 01:31:48 pm by albie »
Another U-turn, but this time one long overdue:
https://archive.ph/h3glP

FT reports that Labour have dropped the legal action against former Corbyn aides, after spending vast amounts of party money on a wild goose chase.

What was the point of this....factional?
They were told early days that this case had no merit, but followed it anyway.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #675 on June 11, 2024, 04:49:31 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Looks like Starmer's against the whole 2019 manifesto now (the one he supported).  What a bizarre thing for him to say this morning.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #676 on June 11, 2024, 09:06:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Looks like Starmer's against the whole 2019 manifesto now (the one he supported).  What a bizarre thing for him to say this morning.

It wasn't the manifesto. That was fine.

It was the fact that Corbyn started machine-gunning out uncosted promises every morning during the campaign.

It was very annoying having to answer questions on the day's new policy while out canvassing. I imagine it was f**king infuriating for senior Labour figures who got kebabbed on a daily basis my the media, and had to put on a rictus grin and say they supported each day's new idea.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #677 on June 12, 2024, 10:08:12 pm by drfchound »
But he was still receiving votes from his supporters even though they knew he was doing the Party harm.
Genuine question Billy, did you resign from the Labour Party after Shaheen was ousted, as you said you would.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #678 on June 12, 2024, 10:43:54 pm by Ldr »
But he was still receiving votes from his supporters even though they knew he was doing the Party harm.
Genuine question Billy, did you resign from the Labour Party after Shaheen was ousted, as you said you would.

I think to be fair to BST whether we agree with him or not he is a man of integrity and will have hound

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #679 on June 12, 2024, 10:57:43 pm by drfchound »

I think to be fair to BST whether we agree with him or not he is a man of integrity and will have hound

Fully agreed mate.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #680 on June 13, 2024, 07:36:59 am by i_ateallthepies »
I have no idea whether BST did resign his membership but IIRC he said he would resign if both Shaheen and Dianne Abbot were expelled (which I'm sure both of you know).  That situation didn't arise so you are both being a little disingenuous.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #681 on June 13, 2024, 07:44:53 am by Ldr »
I have no idea whether BST did resign his membership but IIRC he said he would resign if both Shaheen and Dianne Abbot were expelled (which I'm sure both of you know).  That situation didn't arise so you are both being a little disingenuous.

Slightly out mate, he said they must be allowed to stand

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #682 on June 14, 2024, 03:56:33 pm by albie »
If you want an explainer for the constant shapeshifting on policy, look at the CV of some of the candidates parachuted in by Labour;
https://novaramedia.com/2024/06/13/meet-the-labour-candidates-lobbying-for-oil-gas-and-arms-companies/

If your selection process favours lobby interests as the new intake, you should not be surprised if they exert an influence in favour of their clients.

All this while folk from a working class background, or trade unionists, are excluded.
Whose interests are being served here?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #683 on June 14, 2024, 05:14:42 pm by danumdon »
If you want an explainer for the constant shapeshifting on policy, look at the CV of some of the candidates parachuted in by Labour;
https://novaramedia.com/2024/06/13/meet-the-labour-candidates-lobbying-for-oil-gas-and-arms-companies/

If your selection process favours lobby interests as the new intake, you should not be surprised if they exert an influence in favour of their clients.

All this while folk from a working class background, or trade unionists, are excluded.

Totally agree.

What's the chance of someone like an Angela Raynor reaching the upper echelons of the Labour party under this version.

I'd say very unlikely.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #684 on June 14, 2024, 07:17:55 pm by SydneyRover »

You're getting overexcited again Albie ..................

''In March 2023, a new code of conduct was introduced that barred MPs from providing paid parliamentary advice as part of their consultancy work, and any paid lobbying of the government. But since its introduction, little has changed, with the new code failing to capture much of the consultancy work done by MPs.   

In January, Starmer said: “To change Britain, we must change ourselves – we need to clean up politics. No more revolving doors between government and the companies they regulate.” Five months on, and how is that “crackdown on cronyism” going?

While not every prospective MP is particularly open about their lobbying work – we wonder why? – Novara Media has found 31 parliamentary candidates with corporate lobbying and public affairs backgrounds''

!st para: Labour are not the government, how many times eh?

2nd para: Labour are not the government, how many times eh?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #685 on June 15, 2024, 01:31:06 pm by albie »
WTF are you on about now, Syd?
It is becoming impossible to find any meaning in your posts!

The article is about gaining influence in the next Labour government by placing people in a position to mold policy.
The rigged selection process allows a candidacy in a seat to be bought, either by donations or by future contributions.

To allow this fraud to take place, prospective candidates from the Labour base, including trade unions, are by-passed.
In many cases, a candidate from outside is imposed on a local Labour Party, like "zionist shitlord" Luke Akehurst in Durham.

This has always been a scam in the Tory party, but now Starmer has taken the bait.
One example;
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/central-suffolk-north-ipswich-labour-conservative-donors-selected-kevin-craig-patrick-spencer/

Private health providers, water company lobbyists, and oil and gas interests have skin in the game.
It is a concerted attempt to undermine the integrity of the electoral system.

You can't believe that this is just an innocent coincidence, can you?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #686 on June 15, 2024, 02:01:24 pm by SydneyRover »
WTF are you on about now, Syd?
It is becoming impossible to find any meaning in your posts!

The article is about gaining influence in the next Labour government by placing people in a position to mold policy.
The rigged selection process allows a candidacy in a seat to be bought, either by donations or by future contributions.

To allow this fraud to take place, prospective candidates from the Labour base, including trade unions, are by-passed.
In many cases, a candidate from outside is imposed on a local Labour Party, like "zionist shitlord" Luke Akehurst in Durham.

This has always been a scam in the Tory party, but now Starmer has taken the bait.
One example;
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/central-suffolk-north-ipswich-labour-conservative-donors-selected-kevin-craig-patrick-spencer/

Private health providers, water company lobbyists, and oil and gas interests have skin in the game.
It is a concerted attempt to undermine the integrity of the electoral system.

You can't believe that this is just an innocent coincidence, can you?

I guess if you want growth, i'll take it you do also, to pay for all the neglected services, so the next government is going to have to work with business to drive it. If you want that to happen you'll need people in the government that have connections and business know-how.

If you don't want that please explain how you and the party of your choice is going to get that growth. And remember that you will have to take this format to the people to get into government first. In your own time. I still haven't heard a word from you about how your party is going to attain government Albie.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #687 on June 15, 2024, 05:01:18 pm by albie »
OK Syd, now we know you are in favour of political corruption, where seats in government are sold off to those who bid for influence.

You are intensely relaxed about representatives of industry moonlighting as Labour MP's to max up their commercial interests.
You have no concerns about candidates from the Labour base being excluded to allow the carpetbaggers in.

It worries me as an existential threat to democracy, not just as evidence of the moral decline of Labour under Keith.

Growth has to be promoted by significant public investment.
That boost is absent from the Labour prospectus.

It will not occur by private sector finance alone, and the type of growth that you need is very important.
Growth in legacy sectors like oil and gas may give a GDP boost, but at the expense of other policy requirements.
Many economists have long argued that GDP is a measure of turnover, and tells you very little about the state of economic development.

The way in which you direct economic investment to preferred sectors is by having a public body in the driving seat.
We know from the disaster of PFI under Brown that private finance will pursue its own objectives, which have little to do with national policy goals.

You seem very hung up on party manifesto's Syd, and assume everyone will vote for one or another. Many will vote without supporting a manifesto.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/labour-manifesto-return-austerity-keir-starmer-3107975
You have had chance to see the Labour manifesto, what in it do you think is transformational, and will directly address inequality?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #688 on June 15, 2024, 05:14:08 pm by SydneyRover »
OK Syd, now we know you are in favour of political corruption, where seats in government are sold off to those who bid for influence.

You are intensely relaxed about representatives of industry moonlighting as Labour MP's to max up their commercial interests.
You have no concerns about candidates from the Labour base being excluded to allow the carpetbaggers in.

It worries me as an existential threat to democracy, not just as evidence of the moral decline of Labour under Keith.

Growth has to be promoted by significant public investment.
That boost is absent from the Labour prospectus.

It will not occur by private sector finance alone, and the type of growth that you need is very important.
Growth in legacy sectors like oil and gas may give a GDP boost, but at the expense of other policy requirements.
Many economists have long argued that GDP is a measure of turnover, and tells you very little about the state of economic development.

The way in which you direct economic investment to preferred sectors is by having a public body in the driving seat.
We know from the disaster of PFI under Brown that private finance will pursue its own objectives, which have little to do with national policy goals.

You seem very hung up on party manifesto's Syd, and assume everyone will vote for one or another. Many will vote without supporting a manifesto.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/labour-manifesto-return-austerity-keir-starmer-3107975
You have had chance to see the Labour manifesto, what in it do you think is transformational, and will directly address inequality?

You have a vivid imagination Albie

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #689 on June 15, 2024, 07:15:54 pm by SydneyRover »
I guess all those making an issue of the imminent demise of fee paying schools will be lining up for their slice of humble pie?

''Number of private school pupils rises despite claims families priced out by Labour’s VAT plan''

https://www.theguardian.com/education/article/2024/jun/15/number-of-private-school-pupils-rises-despite-claims-families-priced-out-by-labours-vat-plan

TinyPortal © 2005-2012