Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:31:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Accrington Stanley cup game  (Read 6072 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Accrington Stanley cup game
« on October 29, 2023, 09:51:14 am by selby »
  This is just as an important game to the club as a league fixture with the financial bonus on offer if the club can manage to go forward in the competition, and against a good side so should be a closely contested game. Our ability to strengthen in the next window and next closed season could well be dependant on how well we do in the two remaining cup competitions we are in.
  Yesterday we had a good win, not a particularly good performance with two bottom half teams in the division putting on a game that reflected where both teams are placed in the division, but a good sign that we can eek out a result when not playing that well, and at the same time carrying a little luck at times when in past games we haven't had a lot of that, neither keeper being really overworked, but Jones coming to the recue with a very good save that allowed us to kick on.
  Meanwhile Accrington were losing at home to Colchester but must be wondering how  having much the better of possession and 31 shots at goal the answer might be just six on target and Goodman the Colchester keeper again having a great game making good saves from Whalley, Pritchard, and Leigh Accrington having double digit chances with Andrews our ex loan player being particularly unlucky.
   So they played well by the looks of it and lost, but the stats say they hold a threat to us and it will not be easy.
  Our last attempt to keep a giant striker quiet last Tuesday fell well short with Smith owning our defenders, and in Andrews we will come up against the same problem, can we cope? the signs are not that good, but hopefully we are up to the challenge.
  Just the type of team and playing style we have failed to cope with many times in the last few seasons, can we improve our ability to compete in defence to crosses with a big striker? and can our midfield work as hard off the ball as on it consistently?
  I don't want to contemplate making changes because it is a cup game, there is too much at stake financially, we need our best side out in the game, what do you think?
  The last thing I want is the old nut shell from the manager  "I put a team out to win the game" trotted out to me when making a host of changes with fringe players getting a game, I want us to really go for a good run in the cup and what it can mean to the club, not clap trap, if we go down fighting so be it, I can accept that.
  Lot's to talk about lot's of angles to the game, lot's possibly depending on the financial gains that can be won doing well in the cup, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Accrington Stanley cup game
« Reply #1 on October 29, 2023, 09:55:55 am by Chris Black come back »
We have a very poor record against Accrington Stanley, or at least the ‘new’ Accrington Stanley.

Since 2006 we have played them 11 times and lost 7 times, drawn twice and won only twice, albeit the last time we played we won (2-0 at home on 22 February in the League One relegation season under McSheffrey).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:27:58 pm by Chris Black come back »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 29, 2023, 11:12:58 am by ravenrover »
A full weeks recovery should mean best team to play on Saturday. As Selby says financially progress in the Cup is important in tespect of the business we could do on Jan. For me if everyone is fit same11 as yesterday if Moly is out then I'd sooner play Hurst than Biggins

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 29, 2023, 11:40:48 am by roversdude »
I read that and thought we were playing ice hockey for a moment

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 29, 2023, 01:16:04 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
With no midweek game has to be strongest 11 despite the injuries. Then rest everyone for the Tuesday game in the paint pot cup. .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 29, 2023, 01:21:02 pm by drfchound »
I dearly hope we can get to at least round three.
The third round draw is one of the highlights of a football season and especially so for clubs who come through the first two rounds.
Compulsive viewing for fans of those clubs.
Obviously the financial benefits are also there and the right draw in round three can be very rewarding.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 30, 2023, 09:54:01 am by selby »
  Hound you are bang on with what you have posted mate.
 My fear with our side at the moment is that when we play the better teams we are constantly out played and run in midfield exposing our defensive deficiencies.
 The first requirement in any game is work rate off the ball of your players especially when you are playing the better sides, who if you don't put them under pressure and don't give them time on the ball will outplay you.
    I am not privy to stats, but would bet that in most games we have lost which is mainly against the better sides in the division we were outworked and run in the midfield area, just watching the games it is the standout problem we have to me, apart from Westbrooke  who stands out as a player putting it in in most games, I am not sure the others can do it in that area and cover the ground  to be honest, it certainly is not second nature to their game.
  It puts tremendous pressure on our back line especially central who are not blessed with pace, a Grimsby attacker putting space between him and Anderson while carrying the ball straight down the centre which is never good and should have done better, one we got away with. Faal and Ironside do their bit coming back so things have improved from the start of the season and the emergence of Westbrooke playing in a position he looks comfortable in.
  It is certainly an area we need to improve greatly on if we want a better second half of the season and hopefully a couple of cup runs.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:17:45 am by selby »

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 30, 2023, 10:25:55 am by ForsolongaRover »
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2122912-accrington-stanley-put-up-for-sale-by-owner-after-saturday-night-social-media-row

The above makes interesting reading. The club’s owner obviously feels that his financial support for the club is not appreciated and has completely fallen out with everyone and everything associated with it. Despite all this and unlike so many “owners” he has not sacked Coleman despite the apparent breakdown of their personal relationship.

And through all this they are still having a reasonably successful season!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 30, 2023, 10:44:34 am by selby »
  They are not a bad side, play the type of football we have struggled against for a few years, and have forward players that can hurt you.
  If we play well football wise we are as good as most at our level, when it comes to the get stuck in, work hard, and show some fight we have not exactly rolled our sleeves up and won many wars in the central areas of the field where we are likely  to be outplayed by the better teams, and they all know our weakness's set out early in games to make their mark, and to be honest we have folded in more than a few games not only this season, and teams set out to dominate the midfield area knowing playing in our own half we are likely to make mistakes.
  We have got better, Faal, Ironside defending from the front line, and Westbrook big improvements, we still however need to get much better against the better sides to carry on climbing the table, which is what we all want.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:47:24 am by selby »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 30, 2023, 09:15:50 pm by roversdude »
Quick question guys, are replays a thing of the past. If so is it ET and then pelanties

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 30, 2023, 11:35:13 pm by selby »
  I think that there are replays up to the quarter final stage when the big clubs go straight to penalty shootout.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 31, 2023, 07:25:36 am by Avsuptem »
  I think that there are replays up to the quarter final stage when the big clubs go straight to penalty shootout.

The pelanty shoot outs presumably only after ET ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 02, 2023, 11:42:34 am by selby »
  Whatever way this game against Accrington is decided we could do with a win just to try and get more supporters back into the ground in later ties if we manage to qualify to play one of the big boys.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:46:46 pm by selby »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 02, 2023, 12:03:37 pm by Donnywolf »
Quick question guys, are replays a thing of the past. If so is it ET and then pelanties

Replays up to and including Round 4

Then Extra time with Pens if needed in Replay itself (as above)

Round 5 and after Extra time and Pens if needed
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:09:07 pm by Donnywolf »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 02, 2023, 12:07:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »
  Whatever way this game against Accrington is decided we could do with a win just to try and get more supporters back into the ground in later ties if we manage to qualify to play one of the bib boys.

Wrong competition, the U21s play in the EFL Trophy  :lol: :lol:

(Sorry Selby, couldn't resist - love your threads looking forward to matches)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 02, 2023, 12:35:40 pm by roversdude »

Replays up to and including Round 4

Then Extra time with Pens if needed in Replay itself (as above)

Round 5 and after Extra time and Pens if needed

Thank you my hairy friend

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 02, 2023, 12:48:00 pm by selby »
  Dutch, there is always someone brighter than me.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 02, 2023, 01:10:32 pm by Dutch Uncle »
  Dutch, there is always someone brighter than me.

Nothing to do with bright Selby, everyone, especially me, makes simple typos.

Best I can remember was a broadsheet newspaper decades ago in the letters to the editor column. Some expensive public school needed funds for building restoration. They hit upon the idea of charging 3 years of school fees up front and one irate parent's letter was complaining that it was unfair 'to pay so much through the nose when it was obviously much fairer to pay per anum'.

This was followed a few weeks later by a vacancy advert for a new 'poof reader'    :lol: :lol:

As I said I love your match preview threads - so many thanks  :thumbsup:

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 02, 2023, 01:33:14 pm by ncRover »
Looking at the games they have won this season, they like to take an early lead then sit back on it. But they do that effectively. That’s my impression.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 02, 2023, 08:05:20 pm by selby »
  Every team who watch us prior to playing them set off with that tactic, and it usually worked until recently, although we were back to type v Salford.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 03, 2023, 05:51:51 pm by Campsall rover »
The third round draw is one of the highlights of a football season and especially so for clubs who come through the first two rounds.
Obviously the financial benefits are also there and the right draw in round three can be very rewarding.
100% hound
This game should be treated very seriously. A big pay day in the 3rd round would surely boost the coffers of GM’s budget not only this January window but most importantly next summer.
Accrington Stanley, ‘Who are they’  I hope I am saying that at 5.00pm tomorrow.
We are due a good cup run, the last one was 2016

COME ON THE ROVERS. Let’s be in that 2nd round draw.
Even more we are due a top 6 Premier League Club in the FA CUP
Last one was Everton in Jan 1985 !!!   :that:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 05:55:28 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 03, 2023, 07:31:57 pm by scawsby steve »
100% hound
This game should be treated very seriously. A big pay day in the 3rd round would surely boost the coffers of GM’s budget not only this January window but most importantly next summer.

You're 3 years out, Camps. The last good cup run was 2019, under GM.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 03, 2023, 08:45:56 pm by ravenrover »
Wasn't it Crystal Palace last prem team?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 03, 2023, 08:49:29 pm by drfchound »
100% hound

He said we are due a top 6 PL team, not a cup run and I don’t think Palace were top six when we played them.
And yes, I do,know that technically the PL hadn’t been formed in 1985.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 03, 2023, 10:00:44 pm by Campsall rover »
100% hound

He said we are due a top 6 PL team, not a cup run and I don’t think Palace were top six when we played them.
And yes, I do,know that technically the PL hadn’t been formed in 1985.
Correct hound. Tier 1 league as you say.
No Palace we’re not top 6

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 03, 2023, 10:05:29 pm by Campsall rover »
100% hound

How far did we get in 2019 in the FA Cup?

I am talking about the FA Cup only.
2005 Man City, Villa & Arsenal was in the League Cup

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 03, 2023, 10:18:20 pm by drfchound »
100% hound

We got to round five.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 04, 2023, 08:34:18 am by Campsall rover »
100% hound

We got to round five.
Sorry I was thinking Palace 5th round was in 2016.
I am losing the plot. No that was Stoke in 3rd round just before our league form imploded.
For some reason I was thinking Fergie was manager when we played Palace.
Don’t know why. Not like me to be giving him undue credit.
Yes it was 2019 under McCann. It does seems longer ago than that.

Wasn’t a bad season was it 2018/19
Makes you wonder if GM hadn’t been lured away by Hull City how things would have panned out over the following seasons.
We will never know the answer to that one of course.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 08:41:07 am by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 04, 2023, 08:57:48 am by Campsall rover »
Going back to the post when I said we hadn’t played a team in the FA Cup who were sitting in the top 6 of the Premier League ( 1st Div ) at the time we played them  since 1985 Everton A

In the league Cup the only team that was sitting in the top 6 when we played them was Arsenal and amazingly 3 times
1988 under Dave Cusack, 2005 under Dave Penney & 2017 under Fergie.

QPR, ManCity, Aston Villa x2, Tottenham, Wolves, Stoke, Palace, Everton ( this season )
None of those teams were in top 6 when we played them.
Spurs could have been close, so not 100%
Have I missed anyone. Can’t think of any other tier 1 clubs we played since 1985.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:01:06 am by Campsall rover »

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 04, 2023, 09:57:55 am by andy didcott »
2 -0.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012