Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 02:43:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Relegation fodder  (Read 12276 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Relegation fodder
« Reply #60 on December 27, 2023, 11:14:52 pm by normal rules »
Statistic doing the rounds today. Over the last 5 years of the 92 league clubs, these are the sides that have lost the most games:

Queens Park Rangers - 104
Birmingham City - 101
Doncaster Rovers - 100
Reading - 99
Huddersfield - 96

What’s quite notable is that Reading exploded due to financial issues and point deductions and Huddersfield got understandably relegated from the Premier League, the other sides must have won a fair amount of games as they haven’t been relegated. We likely lost a huge amount but didn’t win many either and had no point deductions. We really are the biggest losers.

Ton up!

Schofield has the honour of contributing to 2 of those runs

Rovers will be overtaking Brum and qpr very soon.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on December 28, 2023, 10:48:53 am by mpc123 »
Statistic doing the rounds today. Over the last 5 years of the 92 league clubs, these are the sides that have lost the most games:

Queens Park Rangers - 104
Birmingham City - 101
Doncaster Rovers - 100
Reading - 99
Huddersfield - 96

What’s quite notable is that Reading exploded due to financial issues and point deductions and Huddersfield got understandably relegated from the Premier League, the other sides must have won a fair amount of games as they haven’t been relegated. We likely lost a huge amount but didn’t win many either and had no point deductions. We really are the biggest losers.

Ton up!

Schofield has the honour of contributing to 2 of those runs

Rovers will be overtaking Brum and qpr very soon.

I'm very thankful to TB for his financial support, but this is a total embarrassment, I wonder if he is aware. Even under GM we can't muster anything, God knows what the answer is now. As noone is willing to put more money in and we have a good manager, where do we go from here. Saying we want Championship football is easy to say it but where the hell is that coming from?

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on December 28, 2023, 12:08:27 pm by Paul Simpson »
I guess we’ll see how serious Terry is about the club through further immediate investment? If they don’t bring in decent players we will struggle to stay in the league imo.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 28, 2023, 12:29:13 pm by normal rules »
I guess we’ll see how serious Terry is about the club through further immediate investment? If they don’t bring in decent players we will struggle to stay in the league imo.

All rovers have to do is match or better those below them. A couple of fully fit battlers in central defence should help us steady the ship in Jan. Fingers crossed they get any defensive acquisitions spot on. A playmaker or two in the middle of the park and we should stay up.
Anything less and it really will be backs to the wall for the second half of the season. Which after tomorrow we will start in 21 st place I reckon.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on December 28, 2023, 12:34:52 pm by i_ateallthepies »

All rovers have to do is match or better those below them. A couple of fully fit battlers in central defence should help us steady the ship in Jan. Fingers crossed they get any defensive acquisitions spot on. A playmaker or two in the middle of the park and we should stay up.
Anything less and it really will be backs to the wall for the second half of the season. Which after tomorrow we will start in 21 st place I reckon.

But if we were to become embroiled in a relegation tussle too many members of this team do not have the mental strength to fight their way out of it.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 28, 2023, 12:51:44 pm by normal rules »

But if we were to become embroiled in a relegation tussle too many members of this team do not have the mental strength to fight their way out of it.

I’m confident given the right levels of service, faal and ironside will bag more goals. That will only come from a cohesive midfield. Which is fairly absent currently. I’ll be gobsmacked if GM has not got something up his sleeve for Jan. And with the talk of two players already training with the squad it seems he has a plan. And it also seems he has the direct ear of TB also.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on December 28, 2023, 01:08:16 pm by Chris Black come back »
As we don’t play with wingers and our wing backs spend all their time desperately trying to support the three stooges in centre of defence, we have zero width or pace out wide, while in the absence of Westbrooke and Close together in midfield, we have no creativity or guile, nor indeed legs. So as a result we have to hammer balls forward to usually Ironside and expect him to hold them up in futile effort of anyone then running past him, or dropping to Faal and expecting him to dribble past half a dozen players to score. This all obviously has the expected result.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on December 28, 2023, 01:13:15 pm by Filo »

I’m confident given the right levels of service, faal and ironside will bag more goals. That will only come from a cohesive midfield. Which is fairly absent currently. I’ll be gobsmacked if GM has not got something up his sleeve for Jan. And with the talk of two players already training with the squad it seems he has a plan. And it also seems he has the direct ear of TB also.

Where has this two players training with the squad come from?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 01, 2024, 05:44:54 pm by dickos1 »
£200 is about right for a non league ST.

We won't go down for sure.

Where's all the top half finish betters gone?

When we get beat Friday the odds will be even better. Then it's time to put it on.

I respect your optimism Padge.
But let’s put some numbers to it shall we?
What’s your points tally for the following games? Mine are shown.

Mk. 0
Harrogate 1
Newport 1
Bradford 0
Stockport 0
Sutton 3
Tranmere 1
Salford 3
Grimsby 1
Wimbledon. 0

So that’s another 10 points between now and end of feb. 2 wins 4 draws.
And I think I’m being optimistic. 34 points. And desperate for more to survive before season end.

It’s a good start

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 01, 2024, 05:52:54 pm by normal rules »

When we get beat Friday the odds will be even better. Then it's time to put it on.

Mk. 0
Harrogate 1
Newport 1
Bradford 0
Stockport 0
Sutton 3
Tranmere 1
Salford 3
Grimsby 1
Wimbledon. 0

And I think I’m being optimistic. 34 points. And desperate for more to survive before season end.

It’s a good start

Always happy to have my opinion shot down when rovers are winning. Who would have thought it though? Time will tell if I really was well short of the mark.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 01, 2024, 05:56:14 pm by Colin C No.3 »
We are absolutely in real trouble here. These last few games have been as bad as anything under Schofield. The one mercy is that we have the January window opening soon.

We're not too big to go down, far from it.

The last few games have been far worse than anything under Schofield. At least he knew how to organise scraps of a squad so it wasn't shipping 11 goals on ten days. We might have been toothless and shit, but we rarely got taken to the cleaners like the last three games, even when we had Tommy Rowe and 9 pre-pubesecents playing outfield.

Even when the wheels came off last season, we only conceded 3 goals twice in 20 games. We've exceeded that in the last 3.

We MUST find a way to become more robust defensively, because if we don't, we aren't anywhere near good enough to score the goals we need to make up for it.

Feeling a bit more optimistic now?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 06, 2024, 05:03:56 pm by dickos1 »
Still doing better than most predicted we would be

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 13, 2024, 04:59:23 pm by normal rules »
New signings have made zero impact .you can talk all you like about development and new players needing time. Time is running out .  Where on earth do we go from here? . Where is the next win coming from . ? Because I’m
Just not seeing where. I really had today down as one of those games rovers could realistically get 3 points . A point would not have been a catastrophe. But here we are. With nothing. At home, against a team we should have beaten. Utterly bereft.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 13, 2024, 05:01:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
Sutton United away looks an important game now. Could do with not giving them 3 points.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 13, 2024, 05:01:43 pm by dickos1 »
They were shocking
We should never be losing to sides like that, we were terrible but still should’ve won comfortably

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 13, 2024, 05:02:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
McGrath has been excellent. Newport came to spoil and disrupt and they were allowed to do that by an inept American referee. Poor Ironside was battered. Rowe got an elbow to the face. Another day we win that game. I am keeping faith.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 13, 2024, 05:04:27 pm by Chris Black come back »
So long as we stay up this season, we can and should expect better next season. Luckily there are some very poor sides down at the bottom but we really need to start picking up a few wins.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 13, 2024, 05:05:06 pm by RoversInSpain »
New signings have made zero impact .you can talk all you like about development and new players needing time. Time is running out .  Where on earth do we go from here? . Where is the next win coming from . ? Because I’m
Just not seeing where. I really had today down as one of those games rovers could realistically get 3 points . A point would not have been a catastrophe. But here we are. With nothing. At home, against a team we should have beaten. Utterly bereft.
I disagree with your opening line.
McGrath looks like a proper defender. 3 crunching tackles and a last ditch tackle, thought I was watching Matt Mills for a moment.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 13, 2024, 05:05:13 pm by normal rules »
McGrath has been excellent. Newport came to spoil and disrupt and they were allowed to do that by an inept American referee. Poor Ironside was battered. Rowe got an elbow to the face. Another day we win that game. I am keeping faith.

I have faith also. But at the moment it’s only by virtue of the teams below being poorer. I’d hoped that new signing would add a fresh impetus to the team, resulting in a positive outcome . I know footy is not like that, but surely it’s time our fortunes changed a little . The late goal today must really really hurt the team .

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 13, 2024, 05:05:51 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Me too, PDX.  It sounded like the new signings are an improvement and the referee definitely not so.  Almost a clean sheet and outdone by shithousery.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 13, 2024, 05:24:20 pm by normal rules »

Mk. 0
Harrogate 1
Newport 1
Bradford 0
Stockport 0
Sutton 3
Tranmere 1
Salford 3
Grimsby 1
Wimbledon. 0

Thought I’d review my predictions . The MK result looks like a freak result based on Harrogate and today . Even so, it’s a point ahead of where I thought we would be . On to Bradford .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 13, 2024, 10:17:04 pm by dickos1 »
I’m 4 points behind what I predicted, but I said 0 from the next 2 games

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 27, 2024, 05:49:58 pm by normal rules »
Bump. I didn’t expect anything today. But id hoped against a pumping

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 27, 2024, 06:05:57 pm by les@donr »
Can’t see where the next win is going to come from between now and the end of the season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 27, 2024, 07:08:28 pm by drfchound »
A few days ago people were talking about us needing six wins and a draw from 19 games to get to 47 points and potentially, safety.
It didn’t sound like a big ask but after seeing us look so bad today I’m thinking that we might not get those results.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 27, 2024, 08:14:42 pm by rich1471 »
For the first time this season that performance worried me ,We are in deep trouble and non league football is getting to close for comfort.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 27, 2024, 08:50:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I predicted 2-0 today.

But I expected that after 90 minutes, not 9.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 27, 2024, 08:51:56 pm by les@donr »
Agree, we are sleepwalking into the National League.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 31, 2024, 09:24:36 am by normal rules »
6/1 for relegation. I’d be a lot happier if it was 66/1

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 31, 2024, 08:57:40 pm by drfchound »
Agree, we are sleepwalking into the National League.

As the saying goes, I’ve been saying it for years.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012