Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 03:53:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jamie Sterry  (Read 3357 times)

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
Jamie Sterry
« on December 29, 2023, 10:03:32 pm by Butchers Red »
Last time I saw a Rovers player so far ahead of everyone on the pitch he was called Lee Tomlin.

Fantastic performance and Sterry is now spelled "composure"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Jamie Sterry
« Reply #1 on December 29, 2023, 10:08:00 pm by Filo »
He’s a footballers footballer

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 29, 2023, 10:08:37 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Be careful with him, let’s not get him injured pushing him too quick. Needs to be looked after for a few weeks.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 29, 2023, 10:17:22 pm by RoversInSpain »
One of the few who did well at Notts, which is saying something. I like him a lot, though he looks a solid build, rather than a gliding gazelle, does that put a lot of strain on muscles and joints? Look after him medical team

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 29, 2023, 10:49:41 pm by GazLaz »
I thought Senior was much better than him tonight.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 29, 2023, 10:52:07 pm by pib »
Senior was a contender for MOTM for me. Don’t think he looked comfortable in a back four earlier in the season, but if he can keep playing like that tonight he’ll do for me.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 29, 2023, 10:54:22 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Opinions eh?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 29, 2023, 11:01:39 pm by danumdon »
I think Senior has been under the radar for most of the season, very good touch on the ball and always seems to have time to get away a ball that is sometimes not in his favour. Just needs to have that more adventitious attitude going forward.

Sterry looks a very good ball player, with full match fitness he would of improved our season massively, another who we've missed.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 29, 2023, 11:12:17 pm by GazLaz »

Opinions eh?

It’s great to be able to have differing opinions on multiple players playing well for once isn’t it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 29, 2023, 11:33:50 pm by GazLaz »
Sterry’s one on one defending for the goal was poor btw.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 30, 2023, 12:24:05 am by Move DRFC »
Did we play a back 4 of Sterry Olowu Bailey Senior?

Wonder if Nixon or Faulkner could come in at CB so we could stick Bailey in midfield.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 30, 2023, 12:27:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Wonder if Nixon or Faulkner could come in at CB so we could stick Bailey in midfield.

1) Yes

2) No, no, no. Bailey is by some way the best centre half we have.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 30, 2023, 12:34:04 am by Thorney »

1) Yes

2) No, no, no. Bailey is by some way the best centre half we have.

I really dont get some peoples obsession with getting bailey into midfield. He clearly has shown he is the best cb we have. He has also personally stated that he is a better Cb than midfielder.
The few times that he has been played in the midfield i think have been his worst performances.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 30, 2023, 12:51:46 am by Move DRFC »
Fair points. I’ve not watched us in months, interested to hear if it might improve us but seems probably not!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 30, 2023, 09:33:55 am by Nudga »
Would be interested to see Bailey as a CDM in a 4-1-3-2 if we could get a commanding centre back in in January

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 30, 2023, 10:20:53 am by Campsall rover »
We can only move Bailey into midfield when we get a really good centre back signed.
As shown last night Bailey with Olowu worked well but the big factor for me is they didn’t get pulled all over the park because we had 2 full backs who played as full backs.

When we attack down the right the RB can still get forward and likewise down the left.
The difference is when we play wing backs they get caught in no man’s land when we lose possession and the left or right centre back in a 3 gets drawn out wide, effectively playing full back. This then opens up space for the opposition to exploit.
It didn’t work under Fergie and it got us relegated from League 1 in 2015/16.
We are currently 20th in League 2 playing this 3 at the back with wing backs.
Last night proved conclusively playing against one of the best 3 teams in this league away from home where they haven’t lost a league game, that playing a back 4 works.
Whatever system you play you of course have to have 10 outfield players working hard.
Having a back 4 and effectively another 6 in front of them working their socks off is a recipe for success.
We could very easily have won last night and for much of the game we were the better team and created the better chances.

Please GM stick to that system and say whatever you did last night before every game.
46 matches played with that commitment and we would not only be in the play offs we would be knocking on the door of top 3 in this league.
And that is with this current group of players.
Add 3 quality players and we would be in the top 3. 100% we would.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 10:23:30 am by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 30, 2023, 10:31:46 am by Campsall rover »
Would be interested to see Bailey as a CDM in a 4-1-3-2 if we could get a commanding centre back in in January
Have to wait for the summer to get one Nudga
I can’t see a really good one being available in January unless we get a loan from the Premier league and then he would in all probability be 21 or younger.
Think we need a 28/30 yr old experienced CB to play with Faulkner or Olowu.
Wood is obviously a short term signing and due to his injuries has not worked out well for us.
He has a brilliant injury record before joining us. A 100% fit Richard Wood and we would have been much more solid at the back imo.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 30, 2023, 10:57:33 am by ncRover »
Thorney is right.

Bailey is a central defender and I’m not sure why people think otherwise - is it some sort of cognitive bias because he’s short?

I’m sure the opposition would rather play against a 6 foot 4 statue with two left feet than a Geordie Cannavaro.

Besides, Close was excellent last night in that deep lying role. He was calm, composed and ran the game. Bailey couldn’t have done that, he is more comfortable with all the play in front of him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 30, 2023, 11:11:57 am by Campsall rover »
Thorney is right.

Bailey is a central defender and I’m not sure why people think otherwise - is it some sort of cognitive bias because he’s short?

I’m sure the opposition would rather play against a 6 foot 4 statue with two left feet than a Geordie Cannavaro.

Besides, Close was excellent last night in that deep lying role. He was calm, composed and ran the game. Bailey couldn’t have done that, he is more comfortable with all the play in front of him.
Because Bailey was originally signed as a midfielder. He played in the pre season friendlies as a midfield player.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 30, 2023, 11:19:46 am by Nudga »
Geordie Canavaro, love that and there's a song in that for him.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 30, 2023, 11:25:27 am by DonnyOsmond »
Bailey played midfield for Gateshead. Easy to assume he's a midfielder.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 30, 2023, 11:46:26 am by ncRover »
Didn’t he play CB for Newcastle u23s? And now us too.

Nudga maybe there’s a wordsmith amongst us who can help. Not enough chants at present.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 30, 2023, 01:12:02 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Didn’t he play CB for Newcastle u23s? And now us too.

Nudga maybe there’s a wordsmith amongst us who can help. Not enough chants at present.

To the tune of Bobby Shafto:

Owen Bailey’s fast and smart
Master of the CB art
He will bite your striker’s toes
Geordie Cannavaro

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 30, 2023, 02:09:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Whist there was much to admire about Sterry's performance last night, he very nearly threw that away with a woeful non effort at blocking a cross towards the end which led to a goalmouth scramble.

Generally he looked assured, good movement and was prepared to have a dig.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 30, 2023, 02:47:09 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Whist there was much to admire about Sterry's performance last night, he very nearly threw that away with a woeful non effort at blocking a cross towards the end which led to a goalmouth scramble.

Generally he looked assured, good movement and was prepared to have a dig.

That struck me. It was as though he was trying to dodge giving away a corner in the same way to see an attacked not want to give a throwing away down in the corner when the opposition player clears.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 30, 2023, 04:02:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
Thorney is right.

When he played for Newcastle U23 he played Centre Half after his injury went to Gates head where he developed in a central defensive midfield player but also play in the defence in some games. So he is flexible but the three games where he was moved back to CDM we conceded a lot of goals. So we either get a better centre half then he could go back to CDM

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 30, 2023, 11:41:14 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
When we signed him I had Hartlepool fans telling me we had signed the best RB in league 2 when he’s fit but he struggles with injuries and apparently worries about his fitness a lot.

Messaged the couple of Pools fans again after the York game in pre season saying he was quality and everything just looked so easy for him. Glad he’s back from injury and hopefully he can stay fit and carry on that relationship he had with Molyneux at Hartlepool (they looked good together last night).

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 30, 2023, 11:45:55 pm by ncRover »
Thorney is right.

Because Bailey was originally signed as a midfielder. He played in the pre season friendlies as a midfield player.

if he'd been signed as a centre back, would you be calling for bailey to be playing in midfield after his performances in defence?

i doubt it

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 31, 2023, 09:51:48 am by Campsall rover »
Thorney is right.

if he'd been signed as a centre back, would you be calling for bailey to be playing in midfield after his performances in defence?

i doubt it
Sorry ncRover don’t get your point.

I was just saying the reason why people see him as a midfield player that’s all.
Yes he is an excellent defender and GM may keep him permanently as a defender. We will have to wait and see who he recruits over the next 2 windows.

One thing is for sure Bailey and Ironside have been very good signings and our most consistent performers this season.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 31, 2023, 10:24:03 am by ncRover »
Thorney is right.

i doubt it
Sorry ncRover don’t get your point.

I was just saying the reason why people see him as a midfield player that’s all.
Yes he is an excellent defender and GM may keep him permanently as a defender. We will have to wait and see who he recruits over the next 2 windows.

One thing is for sure Bailey and Ironside have been very good signings and our most consistent performers this season.

Fair enough camps, was basically saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012