Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 09:29:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL statement - Transfer fee restriction  (Read 8917 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: EFL statement - Transfer fee restriction
« Reply #120 on February 02, 2024, 08:02:41 am by Chris Black come back »
I’ve made this point over the years and while it is definitely not a salve for all of our ills, the board took the decision several years ago to stop publishing full accounts and disclosing our wage and salary information. We did this for many years and then stopped. For a club that rightly makes great play on the community work and supporter engagement and involvement, this lack of transparency that is not typical of all clubs certainly, doesn’t sit altogether well.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on February 02, 2024, 08:14:54 am by GazLaz »
I’ve made this point over the years and while it is definitely not a salve for all of our ills, the board took the decision several years ago to stop publishing full accounts and disclosing our wage and salary information. We did this for many years and then stopped. For a club that rightly makes great play on the community work and supporter engagement and involvement, this lack of transparency that is not typical of all clubs certainly, doesn’t sit altogether well.

That was obviously done to be able to over represent what we have been spending and they didn’t want a stick for the fans to beat them with.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on February 02, 2024, 08:54:21 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

That was obviously done to be able to over represent what we have been spending and they didn’t want a stick for the fans to beat them with.

Well, it's not like folk would just look at the headline figures, jump to conclusions
, vent their anger, before reading the full information is it? 

For the average person, interpreting full accounts can be difficult, especially when time has elapsed.  It's generally more understood and easier to absorb when someone like Kieran McGuire summarises accounts.

I'm all for transparency, as long as folk do not deliberately misrepresent the information within the accounts.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on February 02, 2024, 09:08:01 am by GazLaz »

Well, it's not like folk would just look at the headline figures, jump to conclusions

For the average person, interpreting full accounts can be difficult, especially when time has elapsed.  It's generally more understood and easier to absorb when someone like Kieran McGuire summarises accounts.

I'm all for transparency, as long as folk do not deliberately misrepresent the information within the accounts.

People like Kieran Maguire, football finance expert, do full articles on each teams accounts. Analysing trends and assessing sustainability etc..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on February 02, 2024, 09:40:05 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

People like Kieran Maguire, football finance expert, do full articles on each teams accounts. Analysing trends and assessing sustainability etc..

I know, that's why I referenced him.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on February 02, 2024, 10:07:32 am by GazLaz »

I know, that's why I referenced him.

Sorry. Not sure how I missed that line.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on February 02, 2024, 10:09:25 am by silent majority »

Kieran Maguire, a pale imitation of the original Swiss Ramble.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on February 02, 2024, 10:16:26 am by silent majority »
Pancho, what gives you the confidence on those running the club? (I don't mean the coaching management team btw)

Because Terry Bramhall truly cares about the Club. So much so that he has recently taken what must have been a very difficult decision in removing his long-time colleague and business partner, David Blunt, from the position of Chairman of the Club in order to take over the reigns himself.

Terry has too much dignity and humanity to sack Blunt and slag him off, but clearly he was not happy with the way the Club was going and he acted decisively.

Terry has said that he looks back with pride at the time we were in the Championship and he wants those times to return. I believe him.

Gavin Baldwin is an excellent CEO and would be coveted by many other clubs much higher in the football pyramid. The work he has done behind the scenes to improve the financial stability of the Club and to safeguard its future is exemplary. He also cares passionately about the Rovers, I can assure you of that.

We have had an awful three years or so, and I’m hurting just as much as any other fan.
But Terry and Gavin feel the same pain and they are desperate to turn things around. Do you think it was easy to sack the previous Manager and bring in McCann? Was that the act of a Board who don’t care or who are incompetent?

It’s time to do what fans should do. Take a deep breath, roll up our sleeves and get behind the team and the Club in its hour of need.

That what I’m trying to do.
Others can deal with the current situation as they see fit.

Well said Pancho.

It was a relatively small mistake, made because of a change in how loan payments were to be invoiced and not picked up by the FD, the same one who sent an incorrect payment to HMRC which everybody seems to be beating the club up about as well.

I feel sorry for Richard the FD, he was a decent bloke but the job seemed to become too much for him. He's moved on now, away from football too I understand.

I doubt very much if we will ever have anything similar happening whilst TB is Chair, if anything he'll pay everything in advance!

Let’s blame Richard for issues with payments.

Let’s blame Jones for bad positioning from free kicks.

Let’s blame Coppinger for a poor crop of signings.

Let’s blame whoever for the issue with Goldman’s loan.

Let’s blame Grant for producing a horrible football team.

Let’s blame the physio for so many injuries.

At what point do we start looking at the people at the top? Is it possible that the hierarchy (however well intentioned and capable) have just gone past their sell by date? It’s quite possible to run out of ideas and become stale, whatever industry you are in.

Your post would have had some relevance if I'd have mentioned any of those you listed, but I haven't

I've never mentioned Jones, nor Goodman's loan, nor Coppinger, nor Grant, nor the physio.

So quoting me seems a tad personal.

Nothing new there.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on February 02, 2024, 10:29:23 am by Canadian Rover »
SM - couple of questions for you and members of the shadow board (if they read this post)

If the EFL didn't make a statement would the supporters have been told about this?

If not why not?

What were the timelines of the decisions?

How are things going to improve at the club on a go forth basis?

What communication happened between Brighton and the Rovers before this was reported to the EFL?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on February 02, 2024, 10:51:13 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Well said BFYP

I disagree. I don’t think it was at all well said by BFYP, especially the comment that he has no confidence that the current regime can turn things around.

I find the criticisms of the club on this thread quite breathtaking. It’s as if you are all waiting for an opportunity to jump in and slag off the club.
None of you know the details behind this issue and yet you act like baying hounds who can’t wait to dive in and throw criticism and insults at the people running the club.

Call yourselves supporters?! Shame on you.

Every company I’ve worked for has at some time paid invoices later than the due dates, for all sorts of reasons. And I’m not talking about “tin pot” companies. Have any of you ever missed paying your credit card bills on time, or are you all f**king perfect?

Some of the posts on this thread sound like the tantrums of toddlers. We don’t know the background to this issue so wind your necks in for f**ks sake.

And if the late payments were for the services of Todd f**king Miller, good on the club! Brighton sent us a pup and they should pay us compensation!

To all those ranting about how shit our club is, I say get a grip and be careful what you wish for.

Fine for you to disagree.

But I have standards in my work and I actually don't allow things to be paid late without issue and I'd certainly expect more than one person to be in the loop on it.  You'd expect something to be in place to pick up these things, it's a control failure, but yes that's very much an accountant point of view on it.

Being a supporter isn't about accepting everything blindly, I'll back them every Saturday 100%.  But how can we have confidence of an upward trajectory? I struggle to see any signs that we will get there still.

As I said my bigger concern is it's a pattern of repeated mistakes in areas across the club and they need to get a grip of it.  The track record for the last few years just isn't very good in many areas and that confidence in them to do so is hard to find.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on February 02, 2024, 10:59:10 am by pib »
Pancho, what gives you the confidence on those running the club? (I don't mean the coaching management team btw)

Because Terry Bramhall truly cares about the Club. So much so that he has recently taken what must have been a very difficult decision in removing his long-time colleague and business partner, David Blunt, from the position of Chairman of the Club in order to take over the reigns himself.

Terry has too much dignity and humanity to sack Blunt and slag him off, but clearly he was not happy with the way the Club was going and he acted decisively.

Terry has said that he looks back with pride at the time we were in the Championship and he wants those times to return. I believe him.

Gavin Baldwin is an excellent CEO and would be coveted by many other clubs much higher in the football pyramid. The work he has done behind the scenes to improve the financial stability of the Club and to safeguard its future is exemplary. He also cares passionately about the Rovers, I can assure you of that.

We have had an awful three years or so, and I’m hurting just as much as any other fan.
But Terry and Gavin feel the same pain and they are desperate to turn things around. Do you think it was easy to sack the previous Manager and bring in McCann? Was that the act of a Board who don’t care or who are incompetent?

It’s time to do what fans should do. Take a deep breath, roll up our sleeves and get behind the team and the Club in its hour of need.

I don't think there is much doubt among our supporter base that Terry Bramall and Gavin Baldwin are well-intentioned people and want the club to succeed. I very much doubt that anyone believes TB and co. are deliberately trying to make the club perform as poorly as it is doing.

I think where a lot of the concern lies, from myself included, is whether they are willing to take serious action to correct the issues that have got us into the mess that we are in, third bottom of the EFL and facing the very real possibility of relegation to non-league. Beyond just funding, it seems to me there needs to be fundamental changes to player recruitment, which I believe is the key issue.

Is there any evidence that we are making advancements in this area? Not for me, as things stand. We've spent more money but the outcome on the pitch is just as bad, if not worse. We are putting sticking plasters on top of sticking plasters and it seems there are no serious signs of rebuilding going on, just the same mistakes.

Terry might want the good times of being in the Championship to return, but actions speak louder than words. I'll believe him when we take the steps needed and get back on an upward trajectory.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on February 02, 2024, 11:01:04 am by silent majority »
SM - couple of questions for you and members of the shadow board (if they read this post)

If the EFL didn't make a statement would the supporters have been told about this?

If not why not?

What communication happened between Brighton and the Rovers before this was reported to the EFL?

Maybe this will help;

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2024/february/statement/

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on February 02, 2024, 11:09:05 am by Canadian Rover »

If not why not?

Maybe this will help;

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2024/february/statement/

Not at all, with the exception of the go forth basis.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on February 02, 2024, 11:32:07 am by GazLaz »

Well said Pancho.

It was a relatively small mistake, made because of a change in how loan payments were to be invoiced and not picked up by the FD, the same one who sent an incorrect payment to HMRC which everybody seems to be beating the club up about as well.

I feel sorry for Richard the FD, he was a decent bloke but the job seemed to become too much for him. He's moved on now, away from football too I understand.

I doubt very much if we will ever have anything similar happening whilst TB is Chair, if anything he'll pay everything in advance!

At what point do we start looking at the people at the top? Is it possible that the hierarchy (however well intentioned and capable) have just gone past their sell by date? It’s quite possible to run out of ideas and become stale, whatever industry you are in.

Your post would have had some relevance if I'd have mentioned any of those you listed, but I haven't

I've never mentioned Jones, nor Goodman's loan, nor Coppinger, nor Grant, nor the physio.

Nothing new there.

It wasn’t wholly directed at you Martin, just your post was another episode in someone apportioning blame for a mistake to an individual within the structure. It wasn’t a personal attack at all.

Terry blamed the chairman. The chairman blamed the manager. The manager blamed the recruitment. The head of recruitment blamed the owners for not supplying funds. The players blame the medical staff. It’s not right is it? Nobody trusts anyone or any part of the process.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on February 02, 2024, 11:36:45 am by steve@dcfd »
So the independent review did not affect the transfer business in this transfer window.
So we never intended to spend a transfer fee as McGrath was a free and the others were all loans we would have to pay loan fees I accept that. Let’s hope the business we’ve done is good enough to improve our position. From the statement we have to accept that since TB as become chairman things have changed behind the scenes.
What is does show under Blunt and the last FD we weren’t up to the job. Payments late Resources to the manager not good enough no wonder we have dropped like a stone. Extra funds TB put in have helped but not enough to have a top six / seven budget therefore not really competitive.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on February 02, 2024, 11:39:29 am by TonySoprano »
That club statement is laughable.

It says it didn't affect the business this current transfer window, which is either a lie or it means the club always intended to spend zero this January, which is mental given we are fighting for our league status, and all the hot air spouted by brammall at the MTO event.

SELL THE CLUB !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on February 02, 2024, 11:43:58 am by dickos1 »

It says it didn't affect the business this current transfer window, which is either a lie or it means the club always intended to spend zero this January, which is mental given we are fighting for our league status, and all the hot air spouted by brammall at the MTO event.

SELL THE CLUB !

Can we ban this clown

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on February 02, 2024, 11:44:31 am by GazLaz »
Looks like theres a possibility that the FD hasn’t been replaced.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on February 02, 2024, 11:47:12 am by Ldr »

SELL THE CLUB !

Can we ban this clown

He’ll drink some carling and come back under another name

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on February 02, 2024, 11:48:50 am by pib »
The club's "Head of Finance" is now Matt Evans, according to the official site...

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/club/contacts/

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on February 02, 2024, 11:55:46 am by Move DRFC »

Well said Pancho.

Nothing new there.

It wasn’t wholly directed at you Martin, just your post was another episode in someone apportioning blame for a mistake to an individual within the structure. It wasn’t a personal attack at all.

Terry blamed the chairman. The chairman blamed the manager. The manager blamed the recruitment. The head of recruitment blamed the owners for not supplying funds. The players blame the medical staff. It’s not right is it? Nobody trusts anyone or any part of the process.

Nail on head.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on February 02, 2024, 12:43:34 pm by Petche »

SELL THE CLUB !

Can we ban this clown

You might not like what he has to say but like you he's entitled to his opinion. This is a discussion forum after all.
He's frustrated as we all are.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on February 02, 2024, 12:44:28 pm by silent majority »
Looks like theres a possibility that the FD hasn’t been replaced.

No, that's not correct.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on February 02, 2024, 01:44:20 pm by TonySoprano »

SELL THE CLUB !

Can we ban this clown

Well thought out and reasoned argument based on facts and pragmatism as usual I see dickos.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on February 02, 2024, 01:51:00 pm by ForsolongaRover »
It’s magnanimous of a sizeable number of posters to put this business behind them along with the numerous other transgressions over the disclosure of information.

Each event of this kind erodes support and this episode is an apt illustration of facts being concealed from us or even misrepresented as though we are children. Is continuing faith in the value of the Shadow Board (who I assume were not even told) justified? Are the VSC content that their Rep chose not to disclose what he knew to its members?

Do those who label those losing faith “negative” imagine that this will increase the numbers in the  supportive camp? Do they generally condemn those expecting integrity?

It would be far more inclusive to recognise why a lot of fans are unhappy rather than alienating them.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on February 02, 2024, 01:53:25 pm by dickos1 »

SELL THE CLUB !

Can we ban this clown

Well thought out and reasoned argument based on facts and pragmatism as usual I see dickos.

Well thought out and reasoned argument!Based on facts and pragmatism.

Have a look at your own posts flower, nothing that you’ve just mentioned is evident in any of them

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on February 02, 2024, 02:26:16 pm by Drover »

I've not read the whole thread,mostly because Im finding it depressing,I do believe TB + GB want the club to suceed and will be disappointed with the clubs situation results wise on the pitch,but I just want to point out TB may have removed his mate DB to save him from suffering furthermore anymore of the fans backlash and anger which will only and understandably get worse unless we start turning things around.
Has'nt TB stated although the club is not actively looking for new owners or for sale,they would considered any genuine offer if it was from genuine buyers,who can prove they have the finances and the best intentions of the club,so running the club on tight reigns and sound finacial footing will make the club more attractive to buyers or something along those lines,well whether they are true,exaggerated or over top reactions,these finacial errors like the so called mix up with paying tax bills make bad press and when seen in the news will not make us look attractive to any possible buyers.

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on February 02, 2024, 02:56:12 pm by Fal »
I think the problem stems from being lied to on a regular basis, or at least it appears lies have been told.

Top 6/7 budgets yet 4 managers in row have struggled to make us competitive and are constantly blamed for signing rubbish players? At what point do we look at think actually there hands are tied and they having to do anything and everything on the cheap and hope it turns fruitful.

This statement along with that just further adds more fuel to the fire that something is drastically wrong at this football club from the top to the bottom and is on a major decline and potentially going back out of the league again.

I was fortunate enough to obtain a free season ticket but even I’m struggling to warrant wanting to go to a match with how things are across the board.

I’ll support them until the day I die but all these negative things happening around the club are just getting me more disillusioned by the day.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on February 02, 2024, 03:14:28 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Well said Pancho.

I’ll ignore your first six paragraphs as they’re typically just you playing ‘clever dick’ (smart ar*e was my first option)…yet again.

When you say ‘the hierarchy’ I assume you’re referring specifically to our Chairman Terry Bramall?

I won’t purloin Pancho Regan’s excellent posts by quoting from them except to say that what he has to say regarding Terry & Gavin I personally totally endorse…end of.

A mistake has been made in making payments to Brighton for a player, in hindsight, wasn’t worth the bother. So you & a few others (the usual culprits in the main), have decided to use this as the ‘cudgel to beat the club with (wholesale)’ you & these others have decided this is ‘the final straw’

So, we have a man in his eighties who has basically sacked his Chairman & as he himself stated at the MTO’s event, has taken ‘full control’ of the club. He has the reins. He stated at the MTO that he didn’t feel this was the right time to bring others into the club to ‘share’ the financial burdens because he believes that would simply ‘muddy the waters’ in respect of who then is responsible for the team budget, catering, the up keep of the stadium (which is currently £350,000 per annum before a ball has been kicked) he explained this stance in answer to a question asked of him that evening.

So, the ‘people at the top’, the hierarchy, which in essence boils down to the clubs owner given all decisions go through him, so Terry Bramall, (or the hierarchy as you call him, if not him then to whom are you referring?), this Doncaster man who has made his fortune in the area & lives in the area & who feels “Because of these factors I want to give something back to the people of Doncaster through their football club” has, to quote you “..gone past their (his) sell by date…run out of ideas and become stale…”.

Tell me this, if he were to stand up tomorrow after the Sutton game whatever the result (a game I personally think we will win for what it’s worth) & say he is stepping away from the club with immediate effect because he feels he has ‘outgrown his usefulness & realises the club needs fresh blood’ would that make you (& a few other like minded souls who have now apparently ‘had enough’), but you in particular because it’s your post I just happen to have picked up on, happy?

AND if that scenario were to happen or worse still some illness forced his decision, who do you foresee would then take up the reins & move the club forward?

I’m intrigued, in fact the suspense is killing me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 03:33:49 pm by Colin C No.3 »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on February 02, 2024, 04:10:16 pm by EasyforDennis »

Well said Pancho.

I’ll ignore your first six paragraphs as they’re typically just you playing ‘clever dick’ (smart ar*e was my first option)…yet again.

When you say ‘the hierarchy’ I assume you’re referring specifically to our Chairman Terry Bramall?

I won’t purloin Pancho Regan’s excellent posts by quoting from them except to say that what he has to say regarding Terry & Gavin I personally totally endorse…end of.

A mistake has been made in making payments to Brighton for a player, in hindsight, wasn’t worth the bother. So you & a few others (the usual culprits in the main), have decided to use this as the ‘cudgel to beat the club with (wholesale)’ you & these others have decided this is ‘the final straw’

So, we have a man in his eighties who has basically sacked his Chairman & as he himself stated at the MTO’s event, has taken ‘full control’ of the club. He has the reins. He stated at the MTO that he didn’t feel this was the right time to bring others into the club to ‘share’ the financial burdens because he believes that would simply ‘muddy the waters’ in respect of who then is responsible for the team budget, catering, the up keep of the stadium (which is currently £350,000 per annum before a ball has been kicked) he explained this stance in answer to a question asked of him that evening.

So, the ‘people at the top’, the hierarchy, which in essence boils down to the clubs owner given all decisions go through him, so Terry Bramall, (or the hierarchy as you call him, if not him then to whom are you referring?), this Doncaster man who has made his fortune in the area & lives in the area & who feels “Because of these factors I want to give something back to the people of Doncaster through their football club” has, to quote you “..gone past their (his) sell by date…run out of ideas and become stale…”.

Tell me this, if he were to stand up tomorrow after the Sutton game whatever the result (a game I personally think we will win for what it’s worth) & say he is stepping away from the club with immediate effect because he feels he has ‘outgrown his usefulness & realises the club needs fresh blood’ would that make you (& a few other like minded souls who have now apparently ‘had enough’), but you in particular because it’s your post I just happen to have picked up on, happy?

AND if that scenario were to happen or worse still some illness forced his decision, who do you foresee would then take up the reins & move the club forward?

I’m intrigued, in fact the suspense is killing me.

Just a small point. TB doesn't live locally unless you consider Harrogate be local.  :chair: :chair:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012