Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:24:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

In or out?

Keep for 1-2yr plan
175 (82.2%)
Sack now
12 (5.6%)
Give till end of season
26 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Author Topic: Grant McCann  (Read 8004 times)

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
Grant McCann
« on February 03, 2024, 11:40:18 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Consider he may make his own mind up before the end of the season BUT, if it was our choice as fans would we keep him?

Personaly I would stick with him instead of this constant 6-12-18m turnover of managers and start again. Give him 3yr and build long term.

So my vote is keep........what's yours?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
Re: Grant McCann
« Reply #1 on February 03, 2024, 11:44:41 pm by Nudga »
If he keeps us up then keep him on but for me, relegation is inexcusable so I've voted wait till end of season.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 03, 2024, 11:52:03 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
 YOU ARE MAKING THE MISTAKE OF ASSUMING WE HOLD THE UPPER HAND IN THIS RELATIONSHIP

HE CAN GET A MUCH BETTER JOB AT QUITE A LOT OF CLUBS IMMEDIATELY   eg Huddersfield   ETC

it's Ok for us to sack him but NoT ok for him to resign or be poached.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 03, 2024, 11:56:37 pm by Ryaldinhio »
YOU ARE MAKING THE MISTAKE OF ASSUMING WE HOLD THE UPPER HAND IN THIS RELATIONSHIP

HE CAN GET A MUCH BETTER JOB AT QUITE A LOT OF CLUBS IMMEDIATELY   eg Huddersfield   ETC

it's Ok for us to sack him but NoT ok for him to resign or be poached.

How am I assuming we hold the upper hand? Don't understand that statement. It's just a general question to get a feel for what people think, and as my original post I would stick with him for 2-3yr.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 04, 2024, 03:31:17 am by TonySoprano »
It's obvious we need consistency, sacking mcann would be ludicrous.
The problems started long before he came here, even the first time.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 04, 2024, 08:26:08 am by DonnyOsmond »
He's previously proven he's capable of putting out successful teams, whilst playing decent football... He just needs the right players.

Sacking him would be lose-lose, it would take up part of the budget to pay him off then we would be back to square one rebuilding for the formation and style of the new manager, we don't seem to have a set style for the club as we've gone through 3 different styles in the last 3 managers.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 04, 2024, 08:28:22 am by StocksArmy »
I said in a post after Stockport that we had 5 maybe 6 very good oppprtunities to pick up points. I am looking past points myself and thinking more its a good opportunity to improve performances against average teams in this league. Yesterday was one of em and it was complete and utter garbage. Had we not got the penalty and Colchester came back against Forest Green, I would have felt a lot less comfortable. Anyway, if we dont improve performances at all and start to look like a team that have spent the money we have spent by the end of the Walsall game, he has to go for me. The fascination with McCann amongst our fans is bizarre and I wouldn't be bothered if he went now. To think we can't get better is nonsence.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 04, 2024, 08:32:03 am by normal rules »
Sacking Mcann would be the single worst thing to happen to the club in the recent years of demise. Imo.
Who would replace him?
How much would it cost?
Another manager would see the squad through different eyes and try a reshuffle. It would be one step forward and 10 steps back.
Those wanting him gone should be careful what they wish for.
In GM we trust.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 04, 2024, 08:46:49 am by drfcsteve »
He's previously proven he's capable of putting out successful teams, whilst playing decent football... He just needs the right players.

Sacking him would be lose-lose, it would take up part of the budget to pay him off then we would be back to square one rebuilding for the formation and style of the new manager, we don't seem to have a set style for the club as we've gone through 3 different styles in the last 3 managers.

I’m not yet in the camp of get rid, but there’s a lot of excuses being made for Grant. Saying he needs the right players, he’s signed most of them!

And I wouldn’t worry about losing our playing style, we haven’t got one.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 04, 2024, 08:53:33 am by normal rules »
Someone recently made a great comment that any manager maybe only makes a handful of points difference each season.
For me, the single biggest issue this current team have is lack of cohesion. They don’t appear to play for each other, or together as a unit.
And a manager can do his best to make this happen, but the bottom line is that it’s players that have to pull together, or not, as is the case at rovers currently.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 04, 2024, 08:53:42 am by DonnyOsmond »

I’m not yet in the camp of get rid, but there’s a lot of excuses being made for Grant. Saying he needs the right players, he’s signed most of them!

And I wouldn’t worry about losing our playing style, we haven’t got one.

Recruitment has been poor, whoever has been identifying signings needs to stop and work in McDonald's or somewhere.

The play style from his previous spell is hopefully what we'll see with the right players.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 04, 2024, 08:55:01 am by steve@dcfd »
He’s signed players that our budget can afford either free or loans. Paying wages and loan fees that can be covered by our budget. Injuries haven’t help with consistency either picking a side or performances. We should be better but it’s not all down manager. There has been a lot of criticism on this site for a lot of players in games we have played. It’s a collective problem starting at the top to the manager and the players.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 04, 2024, 08:58:01 am by StocksArmy »
Sacking Mcann would be the single worst thing to happen to the club in the recent years of demise. Imo.
Who would replace him?
How much would it cost?
Another manager would see the squad through different eyes and try a reshuffle. It would be one step forward and 10 steps back.
In GM we trust.

I will say it again. The fascination with McCann is bizarre.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 04, 2024, 09:08:38 am by steve@dcfd »
Who would replace him?
How much would it cost?
In GM we trust.

It’s your opinion

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 04, 2024, 09:10:12 am by pib »
Maybe the notion that this season has been really poor and disappointing, and the notion that sacking the manager just after the transfer window might not be the best idea for the club, can both exist concurrently without it equating to some sort of “fascination” or hero-worship of said manager.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 04, 2024, 09:17:45 am by RoversInSpain »
Don’t have a fascination with McCann, not sure I actually warm to him (never met him) and I have the exact same feeling towards Wellens.
But McCann is not the problem.
And has been proven neither was Wellens
He must stay and everything around him needs big improvement.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 04, 2024, 09:18:44 am by DonnyOsmond »
It'll improve in a couple weeks time when Westbrooke and Close are back.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 04, 2024, 09:22:29 am by StocksArmy »
He’s signed players that our budget can afford either free or loans. Paying wages and loan fees that can be covered by our budget. Injuries haven’t help with consistency either picking a side or performances. We should be better but it’s not all down manager. There has been a lot of criticism on this site for a lot of players in games we have played. It’s a collective problem starting at the top to the manager and the players.

I beilieve its the budget and manager underestimating the league combined. Even with the extra funds a lot of the players we have brought in are still playing at the peak of their capabilities. If these performances continue, we must be the only club in footballing history to inject a significant amount of money into the playing budget, be in the worst league position than we have been in for 21 years and the manager keep his job. Not to forget that GM stated he wanted promotion this season just proves how much his team has underperformed but, thats not anything to do with him according to many on here.

If the plan now is to stay in the division and give McCann the budget to really contend with the top 3 and get rid of all the players out of contract then its probably worth giving him the benefit of the doubt. But if the performances don't improve quickly and the gap between the bottom 2 closes up then, IMO the club have to act fast.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 04, 2024, 09:24:46 am by StocksArmy »
Who would replace him?
How much would it cost?
In GM we trust.

It’s your opinion

As is the post I was responding to. Its a forum.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 04, 2024, 09:29:02 am by Bills view »
McCann has to take a large chunk of the responsibility. Before the season started how many were predicting where we are at right now. Would people have been happy if they could have foreseen our position.

Yes, you can have injuries but he's brought in plenty of players and performances have deteriorated in the past couple of months. What looked like a style of play developing earlier in the season has vanished. Periods in games is not enough.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 04, 2024, 09:30:45 am by sedwardsdrfc »
We’ve tried changing managers a few times now. Our league position has got worse every time. Not to mention the pool of potential good managers who would be interested gets smaller the further we sink.

I’m now firmly in the camp that a lot needs to change off the pitch before the manager. Not necessarily the owners but whoever is making contract and recruitment decisions needs to go. And if we are still putting 100% of those decisions on the managers shoulders then we need to help him.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 04, 2024, 09:53:38 am by pib »
It'll improve in a couple weeks time when Westbrooke and Close are back.

I think it stands to reason that McCann, as a manager who likes his teams to play football, has struggled when one or both of Westbrooke and Close have been unavailable. The rest of our midfielders sadly just don’t look like very good footballers.

I think a fair criticism would be that McCann has misjudged the division in that regard. We need something more than only being able to play when these two are fit.

I’m hoping he has realised that, and if given time hopefully he will adapt to it, because we can’t go on having absolutely no style or identity about us when one player is out injured.

I wasn’t at the game yesterday, but did look at the switch to a back 3 and the midfield, and wonder where the creativity would come from. It was probably a set up that would be more suited to Maxwell and Nixon rather than Senior and Sterry. Not sure where Nixon was.

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 04, 2024, 09:54:49 am by Fal »
McCann isn’t the problem, it’s the policy that the club has put in during and after the pandemic which has seen us fall.

Club Doncaster sounds great on paper as does making us self sustainable, problem with that is there is always going to be a ceiling if no extra funding is getting put in. Whilst the intention was good it has not worked and that is the bottom line.

The managers aren’t the problem, the board are to blame for the current predicament that the club find ourselves in. McCann is proven in league one, Wellens is doing a good job with Leyton orient, the other 3 had little or no managerial experience whatsoever and were the cheap options and the budget they have had to play with has been pretty poor considering the boards vision is for us to play attractive football that we were once well known for.

The best thing that can happen is we see this season out and get at least another 3/4 wins to hopefully see us stay up. Have a clear out of players that are out of contract and allow McCann to properly rebuild.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 04, 2024, 10:05:40 am by DonnyOsmond »
McCann isn’t the problem, it’s the policy that the club has put in during and after the pandemic which has seen us fall.

Club Doncaster sounds great on paper as does making us self sustainable, problem with that is there is always going to be a ceiling if no extra funding is getting put in. Whilst the intention was good it has not worked and that is the bottom line.

The managers aren’t the problem, the board are to blame for the current predicament that the club find ourselves in. McCann is proven in league one, Wellens is doing a good job with Leyton orient, the other 3 had little or no managerial experience whatsoever and were the cheap options and the budget they have had to play with has been pretty poor considering the boards vision is for us to play attractive football that we were once well known for.

The best thing that can happen is we see this season out and get at least another 3/4 wins to hopefully see us stay up. Have a clear out of players that are out of contract and allow McCann to properly rebuild.

What's the issue with Club Doncaster?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 04, 2024, 10:11:58 am by Lesonthewest »
Keep him. There is absolutely no point changing managers again, this mess is not all his fault, he has underestimated this league yes, & made some poor signings. He will now know what's needed  next season & we are still in transition. If we got rid of him it would put the club in complete dissaray. Bringing in another manager would have him trying to get rid of players the previous managers didn't want, plus the players McCann brought in! It would be complete madness, & a financial disaster.

What does need to happen is we get to the end of the season, get rid of the out of contract players, loans etc & have a total reset, bringing in stronger, fitter players to compete in this league, only then up to Christmas time should he be judged.

Earlier in the season we seemed to be finding some sort of identity & belief, but again that's totally dissapeared, it's very strange, & there's much more to it behind the scenes to it all being down to the management.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 04, 2024, 10:31:14 am by Bills view »
You can't build a style of play based on two players being available and needing each other otherwise we look mediocre at best (Westbrook and Close). You need a squad that fits.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 04, 2024, 10:35:43 am by Chris Black come back »

Nothing per se, but what many people don’t understand is that Rovers is locked in through ownership and cost synergies to Club Doncaster. Of course this can be unwound but as it stands any buyer of Rovers has to take the other parts (Dons and Belles) as part of the offer. Given the other two are I assume a liability rather than asset, this may be a major issue in any sale process.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 04, 2024, 11:07:51 am by Cramby10 »
It would be absolute insanity to get rid of McCann. We now need stability. He has a proven record and will in my opinion get it right. The problem most definitely is the midfield. Has been for years. Toothless in attack and vulnerable at the back, as they’ve both got next to no assistance from the middle of the pitch. We did pick up when we had Westbrook and Close together. No coincidence there.
I’d get rid of close as he’s been here too long with the losing mentality. All loans and out of contract should go (apart from Westbrooke) and summer will be the time to add some proper quality.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 04, 2024, 11:10:06 am by Copps is Magic »
I'm not convinced McCann is as good a manager as he's cracked up to be, but constantly changing manager is doing no one any good.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 04, 2024, 11:14:31 am by silent majority »

Nothing per se, but what many people don’t understand is that Rovers is locked in through ownership and cost synergies to Club Doncaster. Of course this can be unwound but as it stands any buyer of Rovers has to take the other parts (Dons and Belles) as part of the offer. Given the other two are I assume a liability rather than asset, this may be a major issue in any sale process.

It doesn't work like that though does it.

You can't just split it into 3 and decide which parts you like. CD includes the Foundation, the lease of the stadium, plus its part of being a football club along with remaining inside the EFL and complying with their regulation. Separate out the Dons and the Belles and all of a sudden the Rovers costs increase, added to which the other two make a profit unlike the football side.

Overall there's a £1m profit to be had from CD. If anything that makes the whole operation attractive to a potential buyer, its certainly not a negative.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012