Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:19:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

In or out?

Keep for 1-2yr plan
175 (82.2%)
Sack now
12 (5.6%)
Give till end of season
26 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Author Topic: Grant McCann  (Read 8011 times)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
Re: Grant McCann
« Reply #30 on February 04, 2024, 11:20:17 am by Michael Shaw »
YOU ARE MAKING THE MISTAKE OF ASSUMING WE HOLD THE UPPER HAND IN THIS RELATIONSHIP

HE CAN GET A MUCH BETTER JOB AT QUITE A LOT OF CLUBS IMMEDIATELY   eg Huddersfield   ETC

it's Ok for us to sack him but NoT ok for him to resign or be poached.

Why does this thread have to turn so hostile like every thread on this site? Is it so hard to just select one of three options? No need to comment. I can honestly say my opinion of Rovers supporters has nose-dived since I came across this site. Like a bunch of bitchy children.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 04, 2024, 11:31:48 am by GazLaz »
McCann isn’t the problem, it’s the policy that the club has put in during and after the pandemic which has seen us fall.

Club Doncaster sounds great on paper as does making us self sustainable, problem with that is there is always going to be a ceiling if no extra funding is getting put in. Whilst the intention was good it has not worked and that is the bottom line.

The managers aren’t the problem, the board are to blame for the current predicament that the club find ourselves in. McCann is proven in league one, Wellens is doing a good job with Leyton orient, the other 3 had little or no managerial experience whatsoever and were the cheap options and the budget they have had to play with has been pretty poor considering the boards vision is for us to play attractive football that we were once well known for.

The best thing that can happen is we see this season out and get at least another 3/4 wins to hopefully see us stay up. Have a clear out of players that are out of contract and allow McCann to properly rebuild.

What's the issue with Club Doncaster?

Nothing per se, but what many people don’t understand is that Rovers is locked in through ownership and cost synergies to Club Doncaster. Of course this can be unwound but as it stands any buyer of Rovers has to take the other parts (Dons and Belles) as part of the offer. Given the other two are I assume a liability rather than asset, this may be a major issue in any sale process.

It doesn't work like that though does it.

You can't just split it into 3 and decide which parts you like. CD includes the Foundation, the lease of the stadium, plus its part of being a football club along with remaining inside the EFL and complying with their regulation. Separate out the Dons and the Belles and all of a sudden the Rovers costs increase, added to which the other two make a profit unlike the football side.

Overall there's a £1m profit to be had from CD. If anything that makes the whole operation attractive to a potential buyer, its certainly not a negative.

I’m not anti CD and never have been. I understand the benefits it brings.

If the profit from CD is £1m and we boast of being one of the most commercially successful clubs in L2, why does our wage bill still start with a 1?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 04, 2024, 11:38:29 am by pib »
If CD generates £1m profit, we have the 8th highest average gates in the league, and Terry has put in significant additional funding (to the point it was worth putting out a statement about it), how is our budget only, to use TB’s words “above average”? How much must the clubs above us budget-wise be spending, aside from the obvious ones (Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield)?

MagicMartinoWoods

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 04, 2024, 11:45:53 am by MagicMartinoWoods »
I'm all for GM staying for the project long term, but I do worry about sunk cost fallacy and that he's resistant to abandoning his philosophy that works at higher levels of football and certainly with better players than we have.

What was quite telling for me was a few weeks ago after a loss he said in post match that they'd said to the players something along the lines of 'If you don't think you're up to the task of doing what we're asking you to do then come talk to us, tell us'

This told me a few things.

1) he's noticed that they're not good enough to do what he's asking (play out from the back etc)

2) he's hesitant to see this truth as he has some minor delusions that he can coach any players into playing his way (you're the coach you don't ask the players if they can, you observe and assess whether they can or not)

3) you wouldn't ask the players this and expect an honest answer because a) footballers generally have an inflated sense of their own abilities - it's part of what makes them elite sportsmen and b) even if they did have accurate view of their own abilities, they've got mortgages to pay

All this to say I think Gm knows the players aren't good enough to play his way so expect a lot of work around ins and outs in the summer, but he's doggedly sticking to his tactical guns due to delusion/stubbornness, and I hope it doesn't cost us this year

If we do stay up I believe GM will learn from mistakes and put things right longer term.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 04, 2024, 12:09:17 pm by silent majority »
McCann isn’t the problem, it’s the policy that the club has put in during and after the pandemic which has seen us fall.

Club Doncaster sounds great on paper as does making us self sustainable, problem with that is there is always going to be a ceiling if no extra funding is getting put in. Whilst the intention was good it has not worked and that is the bottom line.

The managers aren’t the problem, the board are to blame for the current predicament that the club find ourselves in. McCann is proven in league one, Wellens is doing a good job with Leyton orient, the other 3 had little or no managerial experience whatsoever and were the cheap options and the budget they have had to play with has been pretty poor considering the boards vision is for us to play attractive football that we were once well known for.

The best thing that can happen is we see this season out and get at least another 3/4 wins to hopefully see us stay up. Have a clear out of players that are out of contract and allow McCann to properly rebuild.

Nothing per se, but what many people don’t understand is that Rovers is locked in through ownership and cost synergies to Club Doncaster. Of course this can be unwound but as it stands any buyer of Rovers has to take the other parts (Dons and Belles) as part of the offer. Given the other two are I assume a liability rather than asset, this may be a major issue in any sale process.

You can't just split it into 3 and decide which parts you like. CD includes the Foundation, the lease of the stadium, plus its part of being a football club along with remaining inside the EFL and complying with their regulation. Separate out the Dons and the Belles and all of a sudden the Rovers costs increase, added to which the other two make a profit unlike the football side.

Overall there's a £1m profit to be had from CD. If anything that makes the whole operation attractive to a potential buyer, its certainly not a negative.

If the profit from CD is £1m and we boast of being one of the most commercially successful clubs in L2, why does our wage bill still start with a 1?

The clubs wage bill?

2 points then Gaz,

1) This years accounts have not been compiled? So a final figure won't be available yet I'm assuming

2) In the year end 2022 wages for the club were just short of £5m.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 04, 2024, 12:32:20 pm by GazLaz »

The clubs wage bill?

2 points then Gaz,

1) This years accounts have not been compiled? So a final figure won't be available yet I'm assuming

2) In the year end 2022 wages for the club were just short of £5m.

I know what the playing budget was set at for last season, obviously factoring in for relegation clauses in some players contracts. Obviously money has to be put to one side for potential bonuses that have to be paid throughout the season as well so I would imagine that potentially gets freed up later in the season when we have a clearer picture of what will have to be paid out or not as has been the case in recent times.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 04, 2024, 01:26:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
And I’m not saying Club Doncaster is a bad thing but an investor makes a return out of (or thinks they will make a return out of) building and selling a football club, not a rugby league club or a sub-scale female football club. I can’t think of any sale of a 92 side that has carried a rugby league team with is as well. Again, it’s not a bad thing but it’s an extra burden for a buyer. Also the revenue synergies seem to be the main benefit and they come from the stadium it seems largely, which would continue if the football club and stadium were reunited. There may be some cost synergies through centralising corporate functions and sharing training facilities, but as the other two are surely loss making, that is largely moot.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 04, 2024, 01:44:32 pm by LincsRover »
I can’t believe anyone is even considering sacking GM. He’s the best manager we’ve had since, well, the last time he was here. I’m confident we’ll stay up this season despite  having the worst bunch of players in years, had some terrible performances and yet another injury crisis; then next year will be the start of something good. Maybe I’m deluded or have rose tinted specs but that’s my view.

Anyway, who else would we bring in? Mourinho, Klopp? FFS we’re TLO donny and we’re talking about sacking a proven league 1/championship manager. Let’s not panic & press the self destruct button again!  :rtid:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 04, 2024, 02:08:45 pm by wilts rover »
And I’m not saying Club Doncaster is a bad thing but an investor makes a return out of (or thinks they will make a return out of) building and selling a football club, not a rugby league club or a sub-scale female football club. I can’t think of any sale of a 92 side that has carried a rugby league team with is as well. Again, it’s not a bad thing but it’s an extra burden for a buyer. Also the revenue synergies seem to be the main benefit and they come from the stadium it seems largely, which would continue if the football club and stadium were reunited. There may be some cost synergies through centralising corporate functions and sharing training facilities, but as the other two are surely loss making, that is largely moot.

Any 'investor' that thinks they are going to make a profit out of a non-PL football club should not be let anywhere near a football club.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 04, 2024, 02:49:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I can’t believe anyone is even considering sacking GM. He’s the best manager we’ve had since, well, the last time he was here. I’m confident we’ll stay up this season despite  having the worst bunch of players in years, had some terrible performances and yet another injury crisis; then next year will be the start of something good. Maybe I’m deluded or have rose tinted specs but that’s my view.

Anyway, who else would we bring in? Mourinho, Klopp? FFS we’re TLO donny and we’re talking about sacking a proven league 1/championship manager. Let’s not panic & press the self destruct button again!  :rtid:

We are statistically quite a bit worse than last season. You say we have the worst group of players in years. Yet we retained the better players from last season and have made 18 additional signings. Yes we have had injuries, but nothing worse than we had last year.

So, one of the following 2 things is true.

1) It's a much better squad of players than we had last year but McCann has them playing worse than last year.

Or

2) This isn't a much better squad than last year, in which case what the f**k have we been doing with the signings.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 04, 2024, 03:20:01 pm by In the box »
Consider he may make his own mind up before the end of the season BUT, if it was our choice as fans would we keep him?

Personaly I would stick with him instead of this constant 6-12-18m turnover of managers and start again. Give him 3yr and build long term.

So my vote is keep........what's yours?
What improvements has he delivered. Are players or indeed himself  experienced enough to or even willing to play in L2 under the pressure of relegation!! Imo I’ve seen very little that makes me feel that we’re only a game or two away from the standard of commitment needed to win games in style of play being adopted by McCann . No consistency, too many defensive mistakes , very few attempts in goal generated or opportunities to score when in possession .

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 04, 2024, 03:25:30 pm by drfcsteve »
Of all the players McCann has signed, apart from Ironside and Bailey, who’s performed well this season?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 03:28:31 pm by drfcsteve »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 04, 2024, 03:30:11 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Of all the players McCann has signed, apart from Ironside and Bailey, who’s performed well this season?

Senior
Nixon
Faal*

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 04, 2024, 03:31:21 pm by StocksArmy »
If you inherit an already good group of players as he did with us, Hull and Peterborough X2, that does not make him experienced at those levels. He has zero experience in rebuilding. He came in saying we are going to do this and that and we are going to play attacking football and I get the final say on signings so I take full responsibility if we don't perform. So when exactly do we start to put the manager under question? There is literally no evidence throughout McCanns managerial career to suggest he has experience in the situation he put himself in when he took the job. So for anybody who has convinced themselves he is godlike in DRFC terms at this moment in time simply is not looking at the situations he has found himself in. He has always walked into jobs where he has had a solid core of players for that level. Granted he lost Grosicki and Bowen he was still relegated with Hull. There is actually more argument for him failing than there is being competent.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 04, 2024, 04:01:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm not convinced McCann is as good a manager as he's cracked up to be, but constantly changing manager is doing no one any good.

I think he is a good manager. But the idea a manager can come in and all of a sudden you're winning is for those who play football manager or EA FC. 

There are so many variables and it has to come together well.  Some managers suit circumstances differently too.  Darren Ferguson needs a good budget, Darren Moore needs young loanees (amongst other things), SOD needed his core who could understand his system.

McCann needs a bigger budget and time.  Most of his signings have improved us but I think he underestimated the poor quality he inherited. He expected more from Anderson, Hurst, Oluwu etc and hasn't got that.

Let's no go back to page 1, let's give him time, unless or course we go down, that's unforgivable.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 04, 2024, 04:12:27 pm by GazLaz »

Senior
Nixon
Faal*

Nixon and Senior have looked ok at times in a very bad bunch. Have they been very good and made a real positive impact on the team? I don’t think so.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 04, 2024, 04:17:25 pm by dickos1 »
I don’t know how you can say Nixon hasn’t had a positive impact on the team he’s been excellent.

The signings we’ve made this year aren’t the problem, it’s the players we’ve signed over the last 3 years that are still here 

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 04, 2024, 04:20:31 pm by GazLaz »
I don’t know how you can say Nixon hasn’t had a positive impact on the team he’s been excellent.

The signings we’ve made this year aren’t the problem, it’s the players we’ve signed over the last 3 years that are still here 

For me, Close, Westbrook and at times Moly have been excellent. Bailey has been very good when played at centre half. Nobody else has even come close to being excellent.

We are talking about a player that’s been left out of the squad recently btw.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 04, 2024, 04:21:29 pm by DonnyOsmond »

9/11 players that started yesterday signed this season and we struggled against a team 2nd bottom. Don't be daft dickos.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 04, 2024, 04:22:03 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Only 3 signings have improved us in the starting 11. Ironside, Faal and Bailey. The latter being utilised poorly recently. Same with Faal towards the end.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 04, 2024, 04:31:42 pm by StocksArmy »
Sotona
Wood
Sterry
Lawlor
Jones
Broadbent
Roberts
Jones
Senior

All the above have been problem signings. All have never stayed fit or not consistently performed. All signed by GM.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 04, 2024, 05:09:28 pm by Bills view »
Ironside is the best signing which I would think most would agree with. Some bang average (borderline poor if you want to be harsh) signings too though.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 04, 2024, 05:20:25 pm by drfcsteve »
Sotona
Wood
Sterry
Lawlor
Jones
Broadbent
Roberts
Jones
Senior

All the above have been problem signings. All have never stayed fit or not consistently performed. All signed by GM.

What’s to say McCann is backed in the summer and signs a load more players that turn out as good as the above.

I don’t know what the answer is, but neither McCann or Coppinger seem to have a very good strike rate.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 04, 2024, 05:34:22 pm by StocksArmy »
Sotona
Wood
Sterry
Lawlor
Jones
Broadbent
Roberts
Jones
Senior

What’s to say McCann is backed in the summer and signs a load more players that turn out as good as the above.

I don’t know what the answer is, but neither McCann or Coppinger seem to have a very good strike rate.

There isnt is there. Dont forget there is still January's signings to that list that may well be added. Every manager ever is at the risk of a sh!t signing but, come on... for anybody to say we have recruited well are using that to hide that GM has had any failures.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 04, 2024, 05:39:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The question a lot of folk need to answer honestly to themselves is this:

If Schofield had made 18 signings, took us to third bottom and had us frequently conceding cricket scores, how would you vote in a poll like this?

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 04, 2024, 05:51:07 pm by Spilsby Red »
I don’t k GM has what is needed in this league. The amount of players used, no wonder there is inconsistency. The amount of times he changes his formation. Again no wonder there is inconsistencies.

I lived it when GM came back and thought, here we go, but nothing, can’t even put a run together with no defeats.

Irrelevant of what has been said about past budgets (lies or not), TB in my eyes has been proactive. Released more money. Paid about lots of for injuries.
But why do people think it’s right to call TB a c**t. That is out of order.

Great following yesterday. Hats of to you all that went

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 04, 2024, 05:56:50 pm by pib »

If Schofield had made 18 signings, took us to third bottom and had us frequently conceding cricket scores, how would you vote in a poll like this?

How did you vote?

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 04, 2024, 06:03:08 pm by Avsuptem »
If we had not beeen denied 2 obvious penalties yesterday we might have won that game at a canter. In which case the anti GmC vitriol would be but a wimper. I believe we have a squad very capable of climbing the table and talk of sacking the manager is just ridiculous. Although I do share evrey ones frustration.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 04, 2024, 06:07:04 pm by ravenrover »
I don’t k GM has what is needed in this league. The amount of players used, no wonder there is inconsistency. The amount of times he changes his formation. Again no wonder there is inconsistencies.

I lived it when GM came back and thought, here we go, but nothing, can’t even put a run together with no defeats.

Irrelevant of what has been said about past budgets (lies or not), TB in my eyes has been proactive. Released more money. Paid about lots of for injuries.
But why do people think it’s right to call TB a c**t. That is out of order.

Great following yesterday. Hats of to you all that went
Why do you think he changes formation and personell so often?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 04, 2024, 06:10:54 pm by dickos1 »

Your local cricket team can’t be very good

TinyPortal © 2005-2012