Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 05:53:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tom Anderson - Time nearly up?  (Read 6217 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Tom Anderson - Time nearly up?
« on February 05, 2024, 02:42:37 pm by DonnyOsmond »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Tom Anderson - Time nearly up?
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2024, 02:48:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/update-given-on-long-serving-doncaster-rovers-defender-after-extended-absence-4505722

He's fit, just dropped down the pecking order. On his way out in the summer?

That's as blunt a "you're not in my plans" as it's possible to give without actually saying those words.

Strange. 7 weeks ago, he was the star man.

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2023/december/mccann-pre-morecambe-int-2/

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 05, 2024, 03:08:20 pm by pib »
The penny has dropped hasn't it? Giving him that contract extension last year has turned out to be a very bad decision.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2024, 04:20:34 pm by roversdude »
At least Grant sees what we do
Thanks Tom but bye. The contract extension was not well thought out at all

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2024, 04:22:52 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
I expected Tom to leave in January, clearly that didn’t happen, but still could, it’s if he’s willing to drop into the conference.

Won’t get a look in here, unless of an injury crisis again, so wouldn’t be terrible for him to put his self in the shop window for a summer move

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 05, 2024, 04:27:52 pm by ChrisBx »
While I don't think Tom Anderson should be part of our long term plans, is he really worse than Olowu?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 05, 2024, 04:31:35 pm by ncRover »
While I don't think Tom Anderson should be part of our long term plans, is he really worse than Olowu?

Yes, far worse

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 05, 2024, 04:38:40 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Said it a few times but he hasn’t been the same since Balcombe punched his head off. Shame it’s seemingly going to end this way.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 09:20:10 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 05, 2024, 04:48:02 pm by Dabbermoo »
It seems that now we have a good number back from injuries GM will be putting his squad together through his choice rather than all he has available, I don't believe we will see Jones, Anderson or Biggins again this season which shows that they were kept out of necessity rather than choice. GM is not afraid to get rid by mutual consent either now numbers are back on the pitch, still think a massive clear out to come in April - June with an influx of 12 new players in the summer whether that be permanent or loans.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 05, 2024, 05:01:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
McCann didn't fancy him first time round so no surprise he doesn't now.  He needs to be ruthless on these players to kick on ultimately. There's a few others in the same position soon I expect.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 05, 2024, 05:09:35 pm by scawsby steve »

Yes, far worse

Far worse than Olowu? That's something that even a Sunday League player couldn't achieve.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 05, 2024, 05:13:58 pm by ncRover »
Tom would do well in the conference and there’s a few teams that are more in his neck of the woods. Can he be sold to one outside the transfer window?

Surprising it’s Taylor who looks like he can still offer something.

I’m not saying offer him in the contract in the summer but he still has that pace and intensity about him.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 05, 2024, 05:22:35 pm by Bills view »
We need fresh players.

I personally wouldn't offer any new contracts based on performance and injury records. I am afraid that includes Close too even though he did seem to gel with Westbrook earlier this season.

We need to try to move a fair few out as well.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 05, 2024, 05:48:12 pm by ncRover »

Yes, far worse

Far worse than Olowu? That's something that even a Sunday League player couldn't achieve.

Anderson doesn’t have the legs to do simple things like mop up at the back or react quickly enough to win a tackle anymore.

While I don’t rate Olowu and would move him on, he can at least do those things.

Having Anderson on the pitch turns a simple defensive situation in to a very dangerous one.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 05, 2024, 05:49:31 pm by GazLaz »
Whoever gave him the contract last season wants dropping down the pecking order as well. Criminal decision.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 05, 2024, 05:52:12 pm by Pliskin »
Anderson was a very good League 1 defender for us a few years ago.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have been able to get back performing to those levels since his injuries.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 05, 2024, 05:56:24 pm by keith79 »
If Taylor is out of contract in the summer , I wouldn't offer him anything. Let him leave.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 05, 2024, 06:02:05 pm by Avsuptem »
It might be a Mike Brearlyesque master stroke of psychology in the same vein as only bringing on Bob Willis as the 1st change bowler in that great Headingly test match.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 05, 2024, 06:15:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
"He's not quite there yet". Perhaps he still has concerns about his back and that's why McCann feels he needs to go with the other centre halves, hence why he's down the pecking order.

Anderson doesn't seem to be as assured as he once was, so he maybe edging towards the end of his time at Rovers but he's been a good servant to the club over the years so he should be treated with respect, as McCann appears to be doing. 

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 05, 2024, 07:24:30 pm by Goole Rover »

Yes, far worse
Rubbish, he’s been a good servant to the club admittedly he’s not been at his old self since that head injury but certainly is still better than Olowu.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 05, 2024, 07:38:38 pm by The Beast »

Yes, far worse
Rubbish, he’s been a good servant to the club admittedly he’s not been at his old self since that head injury but certainly is still better than Olowu.
No chance, Olowu is better on the ball and a lot more mobile, I used to like Anderson but now he’s a proper stiff mover!

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 05, 2024, 07:42:01 pm by tommy toes »
Disappointed by the lack of respect for Tom.
He's been a good servant, and at his best is head and shoulders above many of those we've signed over the last couple of years.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 05, 2024, 08:00:15 pm by selby »
  It is a cruel game for lads who get badly injured, and he has more to offer the situation we are in than just writing him off, he deserves better than that, and who is in the wrong, just Boxing Day he was the one we turned to and Wood ignored, and Faulkner when fit the same earlier in the season while the players that did play hardly covered themselves in glory and have landed us in the position we now find ourselves in.
  The central defender position and mid field has been a constant mystery to me all season, with mistakes galore in both departments and such as Close, Broadbent, Olowu, and Biggins seeming irreplaceable making the same mistakes while Faulkner was sat on the bench getting splinters while watching them fail to do their job week after week and the club seeing any value he brought to the club while finishing last season well and one of our few successes last season disappear while players obviously not good enough have had game time to prove themselves just that , not good enough.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 08:03:02 pm by selby »

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 05, 2024, 08:07:50 pm by RoversInSpain »
Always liked Tom, arrived looking a bit ‘Bambi -esq’ Turned into a super centre back, put a few in the opposition net too…….and then something happened, be it the punch from Balcombe or something else that led him to lose interest or desire.
Worse than Olowu???  ! . I really have heard it all now.

So we move Tom, Tommy, Tayls, Olowu, Biggins and Close out,
On wages alone, surely that is 3 real quality players on a very good wage to replace these, not withstanding the ones who will leave that are on smaller wages, Jones, Wood, etc.
The loans can be swopped.
We keep those with promise from the new recruits, Joe and Bailey obviously, Maxwell, McGrath. Also some may still come good, after a season in the tough end of Div 4…….Broadbent, Senior, Sterry.
Be realistic with the youngsters Faulkner and Flint stand out.
It’s a time for good decisions, just pray we can avoid a disaster of a drop.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 05, 2024, 08:21:48 pm by Lesonthewest »
It's a shame as Tom has been a great servant to the club, & probably one of the first names on the teamsheet for quite a few seasons. His injuries & loss of form seem to have caught up with him now & maybe a fresh start is best for all. Think GM is now finding out who out of our squad can cut it in this league, & in his defence how would he not think Tom wasn't one of those when he walked through the door, & you can add Rowe & Taylor to that list.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 05, 2024, 08:23:21 pm by MachoMadness »
He's had a few bad head injuries. The punch from Balcombe appears to have done some serious damage, although whether our coinciding collapse has had an effect as well, and exposed him more, who can say. Probably a mix of both.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 05, 2024, 08:29:47 pm by ncRover »
Always liked Tom, arrived looking a bit ‘Bambi -esq’ Turned into a super centre back, put a few in the opposition net too…….and then something happened, be it the punch from Balcombe or something else that led him to lose interest or desire.
Worse than Olowu???  ! . I really have heard it all now.

So we move Tom, Tommy, Tayls, Olowu, Biggins and Close out,
On wages alone, surely that is 3 real quality players on a very good wage to replace these, not withstanding the ones who will leave that are on smaller wages, Jones, Wood, etc.
The loans can be swopped.
We keep those with promise from the new recruits, Joe and Bailey obviously, Maxwell, McGrath. Also some may still come good, after a season in the tough end of Div 4…….Broadbent, Senior, Sterry.
Be realistic with the youngsters Faulkner and Flint stand out.
It’s a time for good decisions, just pray we can avoid a disaster of a drop.

What has Senior done to be below Jay McGrath in your estimations?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 05, 2024, 09:07:09 pm by selby »
  NC, nothing, and in Anderson's case I am hoping we are not heading for a situation like Bogle.
  I hope we are better than that now, and have learnt a lesson.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 06, 2024, 06:51:55 am by roversdude »
No disrespect intended but Tom is quite a way behind probably 5th choice CH which is not good for his career at his age.
He was a tower of strength but post Balcombe his performances have petered off with only the odd glimpse of what he was.
Pre Balcombe probably our best CH since Jones

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 06, 2024, 08:06:57 am by ncRover »

Yes, far worse

I didn’t intend to be disrespectful, but his good servant status doesn’t affect how good he is right now.
Of course he was better than Olowu in his prime. But if Tom was announced in the line up v Tranmere we’d all be sh*tting bricks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 08:10:24 am by ncRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012