Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 04:29:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What's Happened....  (Read 4427 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
What's Happened....
« on February 07, 2024, 03:45:00 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
...to our fighting spirit?

If this forum is a true reflection of our fan base then it's a really sad state of affairs. Topic after topic, post after post of doom and gloom with many sometimes baseless allegations and accusations against the board, owners, manager, players and other fans of the club. It really is a depressing place to be!

I get that this season has been a huge disappointment after all the optimism at the start of the season, but surely we support the team through thick and thin? What's happened to 'Rovers till I Die'? Don't the team need our fans now more than ever?

At the beginning of the season virtually everyone on this forum was happy with the squad, manager and the owners. As I recall, nobody was calling anyone out and there was a confidence that at least a play off place was a probability. Now, when I come on here there's a 'told you so' attitude from a few posters that were absent at the start of the season.

I realise that this topic is going to open me up to all sorts of abuse...about being happy to support mediocrity, being gullible etc...etc.. well quite honestly I don't give shit. I'll still to be going to as many games as I can get too, I'll still be supporting the team and manager and if we win it'll make my weekend and if we lose I'll be pissed off vowing to never waste my time again. Just I have done for the past 40 years.

Rovers till I die

Let the abuse commence  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 03:48:29 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: What's Happened....
« Reply #1 on February 07, 2024, 03:52:54 pm by silent majority »
No abuse from me HA. That's pretty much how I see it.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 07, 2024, 04:01:14 pm by In the box »

If this forum is a true reflection of our fan base then it's a really sad state of affairs. Topic after topic, post after post of doom and gloom with many sometimes baseless allegations and accusations against the board, owners, manager, players and other fans of the club. It really is a depressing place to be!

I get that this season has been a huge disappointment after all the optimism at the start of the season, but surely we support the team through thick and thin? What's happened to 'Rovers till I Die'? Don't the team need our fans now more than ever?

At the beginning of the season virtually everyone on this forum was happy with the squad, manager and the owners. As I recall, nobody was calling anyone out and there was a confidence that at least a play off place was a probability. Now, when I come on here there's a 'told you so' attitude from a few posters that were absent at the start of the season.

I realise that this topic is going to open me up to all sorts of abuse...about being happy to support mediocrity, being gullible etc...etc.. well quite honestly I don't give shit. I'll still to be going to as many games as I can get too, I'll still be supporting the team and manager and if we win it'll make my weekend and if we lose I'll be pissed off vowing to never waste my time again. Just I have done for the past 40 years.

Rovers till I die

Your correct in the view that when you support a lower division club all you have is what ifs , buts and maybes .. it’s going to hard to sell next season after the build up this one had and never materialised!!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 07, 2024, 04:17:34 pm by roversdude »
No abuse from me HA. That's pretty much how I see it.

Me too - too many Rovers til I die (or until we lose a few games whichever comes first)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 07, 2024, 04:46:13 pm by Donnywolf »
Rovers till I die has all but gone as a Chant as well

Well put HA , couldn't agree more.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 07, 2024, 04:49:34 pm by drfcsteve »
4 years of the team on the pitch not matching the passion of the supporters, that’s what’s happened.

Boycie

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 07, 2024, 05:19:10 pm by Boycie »
I've watched the Rovers for over 60 years (did miss a lot of seasons). I really got back following us when we went out of the league.
There have been some fantastic times Wembley, Cardiff and Stoke along with some no so good times which we are going through now.
I fully understand people being totally fed up with the last 3 years or so, I honestly thought we had turned a corner when Grant arrived for this season but it has been a major disappointment so far.
When I was younger I sort of accepted it if we were struggling in the league and would put defeat to the back of my mind, there was always the next game to look forward to and Rovers in those days were my main pastime. Now i am in my 70 's' i like other people am finding it hard to motivate myself to drive 50 miles on a cold October night to see a poor performance, when does it end? when will our team ever improve.
I like a lot of people am considering wether to renew my season ticket(I probably will) I would never consider supporting any other team.
Please Rovers give us some improvement results wise and get the buzz back about the stadium.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 07, 2024, 05:41:14 pm by scawsby steve »

Rovers till I die

You'll get no abuse from me, Herbert; I like your posts, and you sound like a good guy. However, you're fortunate enough to be living in the Metropolis, and get to the Rovers when you can.

Donny is a bloody depressing place to live in now, mate, and Rovers as they are at the moment just adds to it, so I can fully understand the depression on here just now.

I'll be renewing as usual, but the amount of games I'm attending these days is getting less and less. It really is a sad state of affairs, and I wish there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 07, 2024, 05:42:42 pm by TonySoprano »

Rovers till I die

Support the team not the regime, is how most (not on here ) see it.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 07, 2024, 06:39:38 pm by silent majority »

Rovers till I die

That's just a nonsense saying though, what does it actually mean, and who draws the lines?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 07, 2024, 07:29:07 pm by Campsall rover »

Rovers till I die

You'll get no abuse from me, Herbert; I like your posts, and you sound like a good guy. However, you're fortunate enough to be living in the Metropolis, and get to the Rovers when you can.

Donny is a bloody depressing place to live in now, mate, and Rovers as they are at the moment just adds to it, so I can fully understand the depression on here just now.

I'll be renewing as usual, but the amount of games I'm attending these days is getting less and less. It really is a sad state of affairs, and I wish there was some light at the end of the tunnel.
Why is Doncaster a depressing place to live SS ?
I don’t see it being any worse than most towns and city’s in northern England. In fact imo it’s a darn site better than many other towns.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 07, 2024, 07:42:39 pm by scawsby steve »

Rovers till I die

Why is Doncaster a depressing place to live SS ?
I don’t see it being any worse than most towns and city’s in northern England. In fact imo it’s a darn site better than many other towns.

You'd be better off asking that question to the many people on this forum that have had the common sense to f*ck off to somewhere better.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 07, 2024, 08:12:12 pm by PDX_Rover »
"Support the team not the regime, is how most (not on here ) see it."

Most, as in Donald Trump's everybody statements, meaning a handful or a figment of imagination??

Juvenile bratty Netto FC b*llocks. Without the regime we wouldn't have a fecking club. And then there's the glaringly obvious lack of a strategy from those wanting the owners out. A bunch of social media wannabes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:14:59 pm by PDX_Rover »

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 07, 2024, 08:30:45 pm by In the box »

Rovers till I die

I agree but when before your eyes you watch the club just fading away after years of building up a reputation of being the Arsenal of the north and playing attractive football and getting the plaudits from managers for the way the club by giving opportunities to great loan prospects etc .. is now very hard to say nothing and just go with the flow of win loose or draw.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 07, 2024, 08:41:49 pm by PDX_Rover »
100% agree with Herbert. Supporting Rovers has always been up and down. Yes, there have been some huge errors of judgements in the past several years, but feel we have a good actual management team with Grant and Cliff. Let's just get through this season and then recruit properly.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 07, 2024, 08:49:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Rovers till I die

Well for some, judging by the chants at some matches (or lack of anything positive that could be deemed as supportive) they can't even support the team!

Assuming you don't support the regime now, what did you do differently when you did?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2024, 09:06:39 pm by Canadian Rover »
I will and always follow and watch the Rovers, it's just not been enjoyable these last few years almost like having to suffer and losing hope more and more.

This forum is a good place to see other opinions and should be a space to discuss the workings and progress of the club overall, many times people see things differently and that's ok - it's a shame that some come on baseless but that's life.

I'll continue to fly the Rovers flag, literally!

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2024, 09:12:18 pm by jmt23 »
It’s been said on this forum loads of times. A very big section of our fan base is new, they have not seen anything but good times.
These also tend to be the vocal fans at games too, they will be deflated and probably shell shocked by this downturn. I do not agree with the chanting against players or staff/ owners.

The owners do need to answer the questions, but the questions need asking in the right manner, in the right forum. The owners just need to be truthful, no matter how that sounds/looks.

I also think there is a lack of resilience in fans/people nowadays, the roll your sleeves up and give em it attitude.
The team needs fans the most in these hard times, especially when they are suffering with low confidence, but our vocal fans actions force the players into further panic.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 07, 2024, 09:19:29 pm by roversdude »
The way I see it Rovers has always been a family, some family members make mistakes but we’re stronger together

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 07, 2024, 09:32:10 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Everyone has a right to an opinion and let’s be honest none of us are happy with things at the moment however the whole point of being a supporter is to be that twelfth man while the match is on. Vent if required after it’s finished because calling the team/players s**t during the game just makes you a s**t supporter

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 07, 2024, 10:19:24 pm by pib »

Most, as in Donald Trump's everybody statements, meaning a handful or a figment of imagination??

Juvenile bratty Netto FC b*llocks. Without the regime we wouldn't have a fecking club. And then there's the glaringly obvious lack of a strategy from those wanting the owners out. A bunch of social media wannabes.

I’m not taking sides here, but if you want to level “glaringly obvious lack of a strategy” at people, the same could be levelled at those running the club currently.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 07, 2024, 11:09:33 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Herbert’s up to 20+ likes at present.

Think he’s summed things up more or less spot on for those of us sick of the ‘easy’ negative posters at present.

We had them on here slagging the new goalkeeper before the ink was dry on the lads loanee paperwork. Pathetic.
“Get rid of Terry Bramall & get someone in who will put ‘more money in’ now!”. Pathetic.

“McCaan’s time is up. The football is worse than that played under Schofield or McSheffrey”. And replace him with who? Pathetic.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 07, 2024, 11:34:33 pm by Butchers Red »
Absolutely nailed it.

From an optimist who has struggled with it all for a few weeks - just the perfect summation of where we are at this moment in time.

RTID

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 07, 2024, 11:48:27 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Rovers till I die

In my case my expectation of success was based on a belief in McCann’s ability to have signed players who would blend into a successful squad to gain promotion. I would venture to suggest that no one on here would know the attributes of the individual recruits as well as we assumed McCann did. We had faith in the club’s scouting and recruitment staff. I imagined that the manager would blend them into a successful team. Because of our financial base and relatively recent good performances at the level above, the task to get out of League 2 seemed relatively simple. With what we took to be ample financial resources and fundamentally good infrastructure plus McCann exceptionally well qualified to execute the mission, it would have been an very sceptical to rate our chances of promotion as anything but high.

The troubles behind the scenes couldn’t have come at a worse time and have added fuel to the fire. It is fair to say that this constitutes an argument that the club have let the fans down. My “faith” in Rovers, my team, is undimmed, but like any anxious fan, I cannot but look for the reasons why we have sunk so low.

My main emotion is worry as well as disappointment, but that does not mean I want someone to be pilloried. However, Rovers are not the most important thing in my life and we’ve been through this many times before, but in commenting on any crisis, it is understandable why the focus is on what is going wrong. The few things that are satisfactory (?positives) are hardly significant in the big picture currently and putting emphasis on them would only be a distraction.

Rational argument has its appeals, but forums are there for a wide range of opinions and it is unreal to imagine that there are not significant numbers of fans who conduct their relationship with their football team on an emotional level. Religion, Politics, Life itself , it’s all the same.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 08, 2024, 07:09:29 am by TonySoprano »

I take it your not on social media ?
It's a much much larger representation of the fan base than on here.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 08, 2024, 07:39:53 am by Avsuptem »
Being Donny born and a Rovers fan since I watched my first game aged 5 I am stuck with the affliction and could never migrate allegiance to another club. 60 + years later I believe I have earned the right to have a good moan but having said that there is no justification for some of the foul rhetoric that is appearing now. For me the worst part is seeing the decline following JR's departure and I believe the current tide of doom and gloom sentiment from the supporters might at least partially be borne of a realization that we have been fed a diet of BS from the current owners for a long time now.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 08, 2024, 07:48:20 am by Draytonian III »

I take it your not on social media ?
It's a much much larger representation of the fan base than on here.

I see you’ve reappeared under this used name and not one of your aliases, so you’ve now had 5 days think about it from another thread, who is going to buy/invest in Doncaster Rovers ?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 08, 2024, 08:00:13 am by Alan Southstand »
If only it was just ‘this season’, HA! Part of the problem is the very fact that this decline has been  quite a few seasons, now.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 08, 2024, 08:07:19 am by GazLaz »
I agree with your pos to a degree. I also think it’s possible to support a team whole heartedly and be constructive in any criticisms. Im not one who shouts abuse at matches, I don’t think I’ve ever even booed the team off, the odd chunter about players at times but that’s about it.

Surely there becomes a point for every fan when they will become disgruntled, at least, at what is happening with the club and how it is being run. If we end up in the Conference North in two years time, would that be the time for people to communicate that they are not happy? Who decides when that point comes? Can fans never be angry at how a club is being run or be upset at a lack of success?

I think the support for GM, given the situation at are in actually says a lot about our fan base. It’s very, very rare for a manager to still game support given the situation we are in.

Lots of people on here that have criticised the club recently still go to games, still support the team, as you do. It’s not a binary situation is it?

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 08, 2024, 09:36:51 am by Reg of the Rovers »
23/24 – McCann – currently 22nd in League 2
22/23 – McSheffrey / Schofield – 18th in League 2
21/22 – Wellens / McSheffrey – 22nd in League 1 (relegated)
20/21 – Moore / Butler – 14th in League 1 (behind closed doors)
19/20 – Moore – 9th in League 1 (decided on PPG after Covid-impact)

The last two games we saw before Covid was a home win v Wycombe and away win v MKDons. Season before was play-offs v Charlton.

Point being, from February 2021 we have been awful. Not just ‘not great’ but truly terrible. Three full years of absolute rubbish. Added to that the last time we saw our team playing well in person was March 2020, it feels like a long long time that as fans we’ve not had anything to be positive about.

There’s bound to be some reaction to that, some quiet apathy and fans disappearing, some internal struggling, and some fans voicing their concerns. That’s just where we are at the moment. It’s been a hard slog being a Donny fan for the last few years, and yes it’s been worse in the past – but that shouldn’t be a reason now not to expect and hope for much much more that we’re getting!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012