Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 01:40:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Salford game  (Read 4304 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Salford game
« on February 10, 2024, 09:00:38 pm by selby »
  The dreaded third game unbeaten, can we achieve getting a result and pickup some more much needed points on our travels.
    Salford rescued a point at Swindon Town in the second minute of injury time so will be coming into the game with their tails up, in a game where Swindon managed twenty three shots, but Salford with the equaliser managed to record their sixth game unbeaten under their new manager Karl Robinson with the keeper Cairns having a good game as he always seems to do against us.
  In our game against them at the Eco Stadium The giant Matt Smith completely dominated us in the air and also linked play up well so our central defender especially Wood need to get a grip on them early in the game.
  Against Tranmere we played with an intensity especially in mid field we have rarely shown for quite some time, got away with things at times in the game but generally played at a tempo we have not been able to replicate all season. We have weaknesses still, Sterry again beaten comprehensively one on one watching a players body and feet instead of the ball and was sent a dummy.
   Anderson and Wood were left stranded the one real time they got caught out in a foot race down the middle, and apart from Ironside we carry little threat in front of goal.
   But we made up for the lack of class with effort and doggedness and deserved the breaks we got in the game, so well done Grant and all the team v Tranmere.
  A good end to the season would make myself and our supporters see better things ahead and this game could well be a pointer to whether we have better things to look forward to.
   We were well beaten at home by Salford, have we the game in us to turn the tables and add to the points we have just picked up? Olowu is a worry injury wise after today, and have Anderson and Wood two games a week in them? I suppose our biggest problem along with that is can we play at the same tempo again?
   Lot's to talk about  Hopefully some things to look forward to at last although still a long way to go, what do you think? , Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Salford game
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2024, 09:13:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
Salford have a truly terrible home record. Aside from Forest Green, it is the worst in League Two. Only Grimsby and Forest Green have conceded more at home, and they have both played 2 more home league games than Salford. Saying all that, their 3 home wins this season have oddly been against good sides in Crewe, Wrexham and Newport.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2024, 09:16:29 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
One game I think woods and Anderson should start together, between them I think we have a chance of stopping smith from scoring, we may lack pace at the back, but v smith shouldn’t be that much to worry about

I don’t see the team changing much. Personally I would drop molly and replace him with hirst, but that’s about it

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 10, 2024, 09:19:18 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I just hope the energy doesn’t drop like it has after we’ve had two good results previously

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 10, 2024, 09:25:44 pm by scawsby steve »
If Matt Smith plays, they'll pepper our area with high crosses all the game, in the light of what happened last time we played them, and our weakness all season in conceding those kind of goals.

This game will probably be a stern test for the new keeper.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 10, 2024, 09:30:47 pm by roversdude »
Really hoping McGrath or Olowu are fit to partner Wood

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 10, 2024, 09:42:25 pm by dickos1 »
If Matt Smith plays, they'll pepper our area with high crosses all the game, in the light of what happened last time we played them, and our weakness all season in conceding those kind of goals.

Wood will sort him out as he did with cook.
I don’t think we can underestimate the effect wood has had on this team over the last 3 games he’s made us far more solid.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 10, 2024, 10:00:28 pm by Pancho Regan »

Wood will sort him out as he did with cook.
I don’t think we can underestimate the effect wood has had on this team over the last 3 games he’s made us far more solid.

Agreed, I’ll be much happier with Wood marking Smith.

I’ve got my ticket, let’s go.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2024, 10:32:08 pm by GazLaz »
Can’t see us getting anything there, they’ve improved massively since Robinson went in.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 10, 2024, 10:47:29 pm by drfchound »
Salford unbeaten in their last six league games.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 10, 2024, 11:07:07 pm by Pancho Regan »
Can’t see us getting anything there, they’ve improved massively since Robinson went in.

I’m feeling a bit of a fool getting a ticket now.

Ah well, at least I’ll be there to see us get beat.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 10, 2024, 11:08:18 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
most of you are too young to realise the significance of the phrase (someone on here won a lot of money backing Man U to win the replay 4-0)

"Smith must score"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q4S1t2oVcA

F a cup final seconds 1983

put simply "SMITH MUST NOT SCORE" ON TUESDAY

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 11, 2024, 07:03:33 am by Padge_DRFC »
We'll also have a keeper who isn't rooted to his goal line. We still don't look like scoring many from open play at the minute. Hurst chance was when the game was wide open. Other than that we actually were clinical you could say.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 11, 2024, 08:41:42 am by dickos1 »

Looking at the stats they got battered at Swindon, very lucky to come away with a point.
Most teams get a short bounce under a new manager but it very rarely lasts long

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 11, 2024, 09:19:34 am by GazLaz »

Looking at the stats they got battered at Swindon, very lucky to come away with a point.
Most teams get a short bounce under a new manager but it very rarely lasts long

Their underlying numbers have been great since he came in. Yesterday as an anomaly, possibly a reason for the drop off but I haven’t looked in depth.

Entitled to improve going from Wood, who was useless, to Robinson. I didn’t want to see any improved as I bet them at 40/1 for relegation at the start of the season. Much much harder task than beating them yesterday.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 11, 2024, 09:38:22 am by drfchound »
We'll also have a keeper who isn't rooted to his goal line. We still don't look like scoring many from open play at the minute. Hurst chance was when the game was wide open. Other than that we actually were clinical you could say.

We only had four shots in the game according to bbc stats.
Hurst showed his inexperience when he was put through late on.
He took the ball too wide as he approached the goal, onto his weaker left foot too.
His first touch should have been to take him more inside and would probably have had more chance of scoring.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 08:48:43 am by drfchound »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 12, 2024, 06:23:19 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s about us doing more going forward. They can’t score if it’s up the other end. Hurst needs to toughen up a bit, he has the ability, he must start using it. Wood with two younger centre backs, and hopefully the new goalkeeper, you would hope can handle Smith. It’s the same when you face anybody so strong in the air, you have to stop the service to him. Both full backs need to be on their game, as does the midfield.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 12, 2024, 11:00:45 am by selby »
  We need to gain confidence to play our game, I agree with most of that Sammy and starting on the front foot seems to be crucial to this set of players over the season.
  We don't look like getting into the game if the other side dominate the start of games, Salford at home definitely one of those games and their mid field completely took the game over for long periods and looked strong.
 Off the ball our midfield was much better on Saturday, harder working and more mobile, and at last had a dig in it. We are playing over the last six league fixtures the fourth top side in the division showing at the moment promotion form, so it will not be easy and a real test of our abilities as a side.
  We need more players to come to the party and play more consistently in the top range of their capabilities, quite a few players have let the club and themselves down over the season and are better than what they have shown, and might be playing for their future in league football and want to realise it quickly.
  if they do we can build on it and become a decent side again, if we don't get the result we at least deserve a performance, the game is a big test of their ambition and resolve now, no excuses.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 12, 2024, 12:31:35 pm by ncRover »
The only change I would make for this is Nixon for Sterry.

Stopping crosses getting in to the box is going to be the main priority. They have some quick wingers and attacking full backs.

Once it’s delivered accurately and Smith is there I don’t think it matters who is at centre half.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 12, 2024, 03:35:23 pm by Barmby Rover »
More of a test than Tranmere, and away too. We live in hope, but the reality says we lose.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 12, 2024, 03:40:16 pm by Chris Black come back »
More of a test than Tranmere, and away too. We live in hope, but the reality says we lose.

Unlike some clubs we don’t have a motto under the badge eg Everton and Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

If we did though, is there anything more apt for us than “We live in hope, but the reality says we lose.”

Is it too late for the kit next season?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 12, 2024, 04:24:50 pm by Barmby Rover »
CBCB, like it!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 12, 2024, 05:34:57 pm by scawsby steve »

Stopping crosses getting in to the box is going to be the main priority. They have some quick wingers and attacking full backs.

Once it’s delivered accurately and Smith is there I don’t think it matters who is at centre half.

I might be wrong, but I'm sure Nixon hasn't been in the squad for the last 2 games. If that's the case, he must be injured.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 12, 2024, 05:39:44 pm by DearneValleyRover »

I might be wrong, but I'm sure Nixon hasn't been in the squad for the last 2 games. If that's the case, he must be injured.

Not according to McCann he isn’t

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 12, 2024, 06:08:12 pm by scawsby steve »

So why has he been left out of the squad? He's been one of our most consistent performers this season.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 12, 2024, 06:29:19 pm by ncRover »
I think Sterry is calmer on the ball but Nixon is quicker and a better defender

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 12, 2024, 07:01:38 pm by DearneValleyRover »

So why has he been left out of the squad? He's been one of our most consistent performers this season.

You’d have to ask Grant that he hasn’t told me

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 12, 2024, 08:04:30 pm by KingKendrick »
Toss up between Nixon and sterry for me. Sterry seems better positionally but I’d fancy Nixon in a one v one.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 12, 2024, 10:14:55 pm by danumdon »
We need to start with our most progressive fullbacks, its important that we play our game and stop them playing theirs.If our fullbacks are pushing on and forcing their wide players to have to tuck in and defnd more the liklyhood of them being able to supply players like Smith is reduced to managble levels.

For me it has to be Senior and Nixon with a back four, if we go negative and play the three center backs then we will kill ourgame stone dead. We need to concentrate on our game more and let the game look after them.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 13, 2024, 06:02:34 am by Silkscarf »
4 at the back seems better to me whoever we’re playing. When we try 3 CBs they get confused about who is doing what and chaos ensues, especially when the personnel changes constantly. In a 4 it’s also clearer to the full backs that it’s their main job to defend the wide positions. Yes, push on when possible but defend first and foremost.

Basically with 4 defenders they all know their job and can mostly leave the other 6 to do the pretty stuff and change formation if necessary.

Hopefully Bailey continues to improve in the midfield role (with a comparable partner) and that gives us further protection, like a 3rd CB but in front of the other 2.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 06:29:17 am by Silkscarf »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012