Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 01:15:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wood’s goal  (Read 3564 times)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Wood’s goal
« on February 13, 2024, 10:05:12 pm by PDX_Rover »
How the feck was that deemed offside. Would love to hear what the ref said about that one to Grant.

Two defenders on the line FFS.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Wood’s goal
« Reply #1 on February 13, 2024, 10:06:35 pm by drfchound »
It looked a goal to me.
Even the Salford players appeared to accept it too as they set off to the middle to kick off again. No appeals from them at all.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 13, 2024, 10:07:44 pm by Prez »
Looked an awful decision. How have we not won that I’ll never know. Decent point though.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 13, 2024, 10:36:50 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Just seen the highlights. I wonder if the linesman did not see the Salford defender who was flat out on the ground in the goal, the post would have been in his way?

If so bad mistake and he was guessing.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 13, 2024, 11:12:28 pm by Butchers Red »
Unbelievably bad decision - no way that should have been chalked off.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 13, 2024, 11:14:11 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
When you’re down at the bottom these things seem to happen. Really poor, we can feel aggrieved with that.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2024, 12:02:42 am by PDX_Rover »
The ref really should have consulted the linesman. Rovers players should have protested that one. The ref could see there were two defenders on the line.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2024, 12:23:33 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just seen the highlights.

Impossible to see whether Wood is off when the ball is played in. If he's off then, it doesn't matter whether there's retreating defenders when he's scored from the rebound off the keeper.

Close but no cigar.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2024, 07:20:57 am by NickDRFC »
Looked on from iplayer but as mentioned above difficult to tell for sure. Frustrating if he was on but I’d have settled for a point before the game.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2024, 07:46:46 am by donnievic »
You can’t tell if he is on or off from angle on tv looked ok from behind goal at the tim,but come on only few in the seats can honestly say that can was  on,and not sure why people are even bring the defenders on the line or on floor near the line as only thing he can be off from was the ball in from Bigginsand you can even see it from tv angle

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 14, 2024, 08:28:14 am by Bentley Bullet »
It is unusual not to see anyone appealing for an offside when an offside occurred.

Not ONE Salford player appealed that it was offside. A very, VERY suspect decision.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 14, 2024, 10:03:46 am by IDM »
Only seen the highlight clip from a bad angle, and I couldn’t see where the linesman (or woman) was when the flag was raised.

Perhaps there was a tight offside at the initial free kick, which wasn’t flagged until the ball went into the net? 

They never flag immediately these days do they?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 14, 2024, 10:09:28 am by Colin C No.3 »
Only seen the highlight clip from a bad angle, and I couldn’t see where the linesman (or woman) was when the flag was raised.

Perhaps there was a tight offside at the initial free kick, which wasn’t flagged until the ball went into the net? 

And that’s a rule that definitely needs readdressing!

It’s annoying for fans & players alike plus, it could lead to unnecessary injuries with tackles coming in on the offside player.

If it’s offside & the lino knows it, get that bloody flag up!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 14, 2024, 10:22:35 am by Nudga »

And that’s a rule that definitely needs readdressing!

It’s annoying for fans & players alike plus, it could lead to unnecessary injuries with tackles coming in on the offside player.

If it’s offside & the lino knows it, get that bloody flag up!

I hate this with an absolute angry passion.
What are they actually waiting for? We're supposed to be cutting out time wasting but the officials are adding to it.
And I agree that it won't be long before a last ditch attempt at a tackle will result in a bad injury for the lad who is offside. And then a free kick or yellow/red card can't be given because play will be brought back for the offside.
If you're off, you're off, get the f**kin flag up.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 14, 2024, 10:23:27 am by IDM »
Especially where we have no VAR!  Even though VAR may have given us that goal, I’m not a big fan as it’s too controversial at the moment.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 14, 2024, 11:46:25 am by Donnywolf »
That Lino was the same that have Salford Offside early in game.

As I saw it Ref gave the decision and then Lino entered from right side of the screen , got in line with the offence and raised his Flag

I remember that well and the biased b that was the Commentator saying Karl Robinson will have something to say to him for that

So maybe he's as bad as the Ref was ?

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 14, 2024, 11:58:15 am by Move DRFC »
Especially where we have no VAR!  Even though VAR may have given us that goal, I’m not a big fan as it’s too controversial at the moment.

VAR is the reason why they have to wait! It makes total sense to wait when VAR is in play. If they flag straight away and it turned out to be onside, Lino has stopped a possible goal. VAR can always rule out the goal out but not putting the flag up makes total sense with VAR. it makes no sense if it’s happening in League Two though.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 14, 2024, 12:11:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
When the cross was kicked, there's only about 3 secs for the ball to come off the keeper, and Wood put it in.

Say, the ball had gone passed Wood off the keeper, and one of our players   coming from an onside position had smashed it in (providing Wood didn't block the keepers view) the goal would have stood. Hence the need to wait before raising the flag.

It's a hard job, and some of these calls are tight ones so, sometimes we have to conceed It's a reasonable decision.

As Wood is out of shot, when the cross is kicked  It's impossible for us the judge the initial offside.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 14, 2024, 12:33:31 pm by RoversInSpain »
Totally correct!

VAR is the reason why they have to wait! It makes total sense to wait when VAR is in play. If they flag straight away and it turned out to be onside, Lino has stopped a possible goal. VAR can always rule out the goal out but not putting the flag up makes total sense with VAR. it makes no sense if it’s happening in League Two though.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 14, 2024, 01:10:32 pm by idler »
I thought that it was a good goal at the time but I was on the terrace behind the goal.
The telling thing for me was that none of their defenders that were marking Wood when the kick was taken appealed. Surely at least one of them would have appealed if Wood had gone early and been in front of their back line when it was kicked?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 14, 2024, 04:04:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Inside Eovers vid now out which gives a better angle.

https://youtu.be/Ri53Lw6TcTU?si=BhuLFhL5Cpuzl2dR

If you listen for the cross being kicked, then freeze it as soon as Wood comes into shot, he looks goalside of the defender as he holds him off, so probs offside by 1/2 yard.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 14, 2024, 07:10:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

If you listen for the cross being kicked, then freeze it as soon as Wood comes into shot, he looks goalside of the defender as he holds him off, so probs offside by 1/2 yard.

As a rule, the linesmen usually get these calls right. There was one late on Saturday, where they gave Ironside offside when he was clearly a yard and a half onside. I thought so. Our kid thought so. People around us thought so. Bloke on the way out said it was the worst decision he'd seen all season.

Except...when I went and looked at the iFollow video, he WAS actually offside.

As DBR says, it does look like the linesman got it right last night.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 14, 2024, 07:39:45 pm by PDX_Rover »
bas**rds

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 14, 2024, 08:18:41 pm by GazLaz »

As a rule, the linesmen usually get these calls right. There was one late on Saturday, where they gave Ironside offside when he was clearly a yard and a half onside. I thought so. Our kid thought so. People around us thought so. Bloke on the way out said it was the worst decision he'd seen all season.

Top level linesmen are ridiculously good these days.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 14, 2024, 10:07:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Not often VAR overturns an offside and if they do it’s so close as to be irrelevant really.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 15, 2024, 09:14:33 am by Spud »

No way can you tell from that, or the highlights video, on both occasions the camera isn't on the cross being struck (or heard) & Woody & the defenders at the same time.
Probably very tight but I reckon  the officials just favoured the defending team in the case of doubt.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2024, 09:55:43 am by Silkscarf »

No way can you tell from that, or the highlights video, on both occasions the camera isn't on the cross being struck (or heard) & Woody & the defenders at the same time.
Probably very tight but I reckon  the officials just favoured the defending team in the case of doubt.

The fact that officials favour the defence if there is any doubt is the problem. We all want to see goals so if there is any doubt we should assume the player is onside instead.

Without VAR, there is no way that any lino can judge offside accurately. It’s impossible. Always has been. He/she has to be in line at the point the ball is played forward and it’s impossible to be in that position every time and time the kick forward exactly. In practice the attacker should have to be clearly offside otherwise there’s too much doubt.

I don’t believe in the infallibility of VAR getting offsides right either. How accurate are those lines? Is the video stopped at precisely the right moment? If it’s just a toe or bootlace that’s possibly offside can’t we just say that’s too close to call and rule it onside?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2024, 10:18:09 am by Bentley Bullet »
A Lino has to have one eye on the ball as it is kicked, and the other eye on players being potentially offside. It is often physically impossible for a normal human being to do that.

Maybe someone like Marty Feldman would be more physically capable.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 15, 2024, 11:01:16 am by Colin C No.3 »

Top level linesmen are ridiculously good these days.

There are no ‘top level linesmen’ at this level neither are there any top level referees.

So unless you’re being sarcastic I assume you’re talking about ‘some’ linesmen (women), at European & World competition level?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2024, 11:44:26 am by donnievic »
For me you still
Can’t tell by that and like others have said none of sslford players even ask,although looking at them at video Ironside could of possibly been offside for the 1st goal

TinyPortal © 2005-2012