Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 07:04:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about (and look forward to) the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 5837 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about (and look forward to) the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #60 on February 24, 2024, 08:38:21 pm by ncRover »
We were absolutely superb until they potentially targeted and injured the unplayable Adelakun.

For the rest of the game we kept our concentration and got the job done. But we should have had more.

They were very poor. I would bet on whoever they play next.

Going by their support today, I would guess them saying we were poor fits their agenda against the manager.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on February 24, 2024, 09:12:17 pm by Pancho Regan »
Biggins was superb! He deserves a mention, he’s really turned his form around. I know he’s playing for a contract, but still.

Craig will be playing for a top L1 / lower championship club next season. He was 2 steps ahead of the opposition at every turn today.

We need Moly to step up to take the attention away from Haks! Luke missed a sitter.

Anderson continuing to prove me wrong and looks back to his old self. I guess pace doesn’t matter when you have an expert organiser next to you.

Ironside, brilliant footballer. If he had pace he’d be playing in the championship.

Solid performance all round. They had no ideas on how to hurt us whatsoever.

We are seeing the rewards for sticking with this coaching staff. Well done to the fan base as a whole for being patient with Grant and Cliff.

You’ve nailed today’s performance for me there ncRover, I saw the game the same way.

Biggo for me was MOTM.

Craig again was superb, some brilliant passes and some really gritty tackles.

Wood and Anderson were superb again.
Woody made a howler by taking too long on the ball and getting dispossessed but reacted immediately by chasing their guy and winning the ball back. He was hell-bent on putting right his gaff and full credit to him for that.

I walked to the ground with two Wimbledon fans and they asked me who they should be afraid of.
Without hesitation I replied “Andelakun”.
Two minutes was all it took!

Wimbledon were terrible today, heavens knows how they were ninth in the table.
We should have been miles clear before the end but we saw out the game and secured another three points.

Well done Rovers.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on February 24, 2024, 09:14:57 pm by drfchound »
I have seen five different versions of our number 47s name on the forum tonight.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on February 24, 2024, 09:19:43 pm by Goole Rover »
Well, in my opinion, we were excellent in the first half, fast ball movement and plenty of attacking intent.
Sat in the south stand, we hardly saw the ball down our end.
Rovers by a mile the better first half team.
Wimbledon started the second half well but apart from a couple of dangerous balls into our box, didn’t really threaten to get the better of our defence.
Anderson and Wood once again snuffed out the opposition strikers.
As the second half wore on we again began to take control and had a couple of very good chances to double the lead but both Bailey and Molyneux failed to score.
We were a long way from being awful today.
Yes the Anderson bashers are eating more humble pie. Another great performance today.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 24, 2024, 09:32:58 pm by andyst79 »
Well, in my opinion, we were excellent in the first half, fast ball movement and plenty of attacking intent.
Sat in the south stand, we hardly saw the ball down our end.
Rovers by a mile the better first half team.
Wimbledon started the second half well but apart from a couple of dangerous balls into our box, didn’t really threaten to get the better of our defence.
Anderson and Wood once again snuffed out the opposition strikers.
As the second half wore on we again began to take control and had a couple of very good chances to double the lead but both Bailey and Molyneux failed to score.
We were a long way from being awful today.
Yes the Anderson bashers are eating more humble pie. Another great performance today.
Anderson & Wood did everything that was asked of them today & don't want this to sound negative but Wimbledon played to their strengths and just lumped it forward.  It would be interesting to see how they'd cope together against a more fluent attacking team that look to play & get it in behind. Having said that as a team I thought our defensive shape was superb and everyone stuck to their tasks and the cm's shielded the back line well .

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on February 24, 2024, 09:34:36 pm by pib »
I've not been today, what was the performance like overall today? The AFC Wimbledon fans on there forum are saying they were awful and what made it worrying/worse is the we were also awful.

Or is just Wimbledon fans that can't accept that we was the better team?

First half we were the better side and deserving of the lead. They got the initiative back a bit after HT but they didn’t really create very much. As the game opened up we had a few really good opportunities to kill the game that we didn’t take, which made it more nervy than it needed to be.

I’d say overall not a classic game, but we were worthy of the narrow win. They offered very little, as for us I’ve seen us play better but we looked pretty solid, robust and not in too much danger of ever throwing it away today.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on February 24, 2024, 10:02:23 pm by Pancho Regan »
I have seen five different versions of our number 47s name on the forum tonight.

Sorry mate, the ‘n’ was a clumsy typo!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 24, 2024, 10:04:16 pm by drfchound »

Sorry mate, the ‘n’ was a clumsy typo!

No apology needed matey.
It makes it fun reading.
the keeper gets a few different versions too.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on February 24, 2024, 10:14:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
It was a very strange game, I thought. We set off like a house on fire, got a good goal and then it seemed like we were playing well within ourselves.

I was thinking,at half time, that TLT hadn’t made a save. Cut out a few crosses or broke up an attack by sprinting off his line, but no saves?

Second half, they tried wrestling the initiative, but they never really threatened our goal. A large part of that was down to Wood & Anderson, but fair play to all the lads for making it difficult for them.

However, the last 5 mins and injury time seemed to last forever and it was a relief to hear the final whistle. Special mention to Moly for totally missing the ball, late on, when it was easier to side foot it in. Unbelievable!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 24, 2024, 10:35:55 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I thought we were really good today and probably deserved to win by more. However, the Wimbledon fans that I spoke to on the train back down to Kings X thought that we were awful!! Absolutely bizarre!

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on February 24, 2024, 11:03:47 pm by Donnyjim »
Rovers were very good today. I have not been for a while and the biggest difference I noticed was the fitness and sharpness. We were first to every second ball and we’re getting really stuck in. I was really impressed. Anderson and Wood were solid at the back. Overall, we should have won by more - 8 / 10. This run is looking like GM has turned a corner with these fellas.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 24, 2024, 11:40:22 pm by Butchers Red »
What happebed to Sterry 1st half did someone deck him? Couldn't see clearly from West stand
Just got a hand in the face. Don’t think it was malicious.

It was the biggest over reaction I've seen for a long time from a Rovers player. It was embarrassing

Agree 100% no place for cheating like that in my view, lost some respect for the lad today

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
He put a photo on social media after game. Quite a lot of scratching and some blood.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 25, 2024, 07:51:44 am by Padge_DRFC »
He put a photo on social media after game. Quite a lot of scratching and some blood.

Bet that will be when he went down in the second half.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on February 25, 2024, 08:04:51 am by mushRTID »
Looks nasty, not seen the replay but must have been a boot scraped down his ear and neck.

Thought he played very well yesterday.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on February 25, 2024, 08:05:09 am by Donnywolf »

However, the last 5 mins and injury Special mention to Moly for totally missing the ball, late on, when it was easier to side foot it in. Unbelievable!

Despite my anti Time wasting stance I thought Moly was also due some real credit for the quick thinking late on when he was given a brilliant pass down right touchline.

He could have gone for it and took the full back on but instead drew him in and then dummied a move and let it go out for a throw to us

Despite what. I normally think that was a great move

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on February 25, 2024, 08:09:48 am by donnievic »
What happebed to Sterry 1st half did someone deck him? Couldn't see clearly from West stand

It was the biggest over reaction I've seen for a long time from a Rovers player. It was embarrassing

Agree 100% no place for cheating like that in my view, lost some respect for the lad today
bit harsh that a hand in face could of easily caught a stray finger in the eye

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on February 25, 2024, 08:57:11 am by drfchound »

bit harsh that a hand in face could of easily caught a stray finger in the eye

It was a hand in the face, Sterry blocked a run by a Wimbledon player who was trying to get to a pass played across goal and the attacker put his hands out to protect himself and “hit” Sterry in the face with some force.
It wasn’t cheating and it probably would have hurt him.
Incidentally it was only a couple of games back that people were praising our lads for matching the Salford shithousery, saying we should do it more often.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on February 25, 2024, 01:19:09 pm by Butchers Red »

At the game yesterday, from my spot on the West Stand, it looked to me like Sterry just threw himself down, having seen the extended highlights it is clear to me now that he was caught in the eye / face so I apologize unreservedly for my comments, but still don't stand for cheats !

Also having seen those, How the hell did Molly miss that ???

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on February 25, 2024, 03:18:35 pm by rover-n-out »
You've gotta love local journo:s reporting on matches. Apart from mentioning that Wimbledon fell behind after 3mins when Adelakun fired into the corner of the net giving their goalkeeper no chance, they never mentioned Rovers once, not once in the whole match report. If you hadn't seen the headline "Dons lose at Donny" you wouldn't have a bloody clue who the Dons were playing. Talk about one sided reporting.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012