Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 06:48:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about (and look forward to) the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 5830 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about (and look forward to) the AFC Wimbledon game
« on February 18, 2024, 12:01:24 am by selby »
  A slight change to the heading of this post to reflect the mood on the forum, heady days are here again with a new more energetic style of play, where we defend better and actually score goals as well, quite a new novelty, and backs up the work the management have put into the team and probably the players reality that they were in danger of taking the team down to non league football.
  What a change a couple of weeks make and a little run of good results both on and off the field of play.
  Next week we take on a big test against a side who from memory easily disposed of us earlier in the season 2-0 and are just outside the play off positions, play a 4 4 2 uncomplicated formation, and against Morecambe yesterday drew 1-1 although having the better of the game and the high number of fifteen shots but only  three on target, which looks like they have games like us in front of goal at times.
  Yesterday as someone pointed out we reversed that trend yesterday  scoring more goals than we had shots on target, a nice habit to form if we can repeat.
  So what do we do? the same again team for me, can we get another win? we need to if we have any ambition to end the season well. Ali Hamadi who scored both goals at Wimbledon against us has moved on to Ipswich Town and is a big miss for them, and our older version in central defence Anderson and Wood doing the basic defending heading and kicking the ball has been a resounding success, so on paper they don't hold as much threat up front, but are strong in midfield, another area where we have improved dramatically, and will need to step up again in this game, Wimbledon being strong in that area.
  So lot's to discuss, can we extend our unbeaten run? an important question, Are you getting your enthusiasm back? can we finish strong and get up the table to respectability?
   Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about (and look forward to) the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2024, 10:33:35 am by selby »
  We really do need a result next weekend, just as important now as it was four games ago.
  Then it was to rid ourselves of looking over our shoulder at relegation which although not disappearing altogether has receded quite a bit in a short time.
  Now the important bit is showing it is  not just a flash in the pan, keep the good run going, and build enthusiasm in supporters that has been tested to the limit over a long period.
  The threads on this forum alone show the extent of relief many of us are now undergoing, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised even more so by the management and players who must have been feeling the pressure when they were being questioned so much about their game.
  Its a good start, but we need to keep it going and finish the season well, and this game will be a very big test against a team with aspirations to get into the playoffs.
  Definitely a game to look forward to.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2024, 10:41:46 am by colincramb »
Will be a tough game but our confidence should be improving all the time with each unbeaten game that passes. Hoping for an entertaining afternoon with both teams going for it. Wouldn’t look past a score draw. Going for 2-2

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2024, 10:54:38 am by Colin C No.3 »
It’s a win for me (data available).

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2024, 11:36:38 am by philsky »

I see that Salford and Swindon have tough fixtures on Saturday so if we engineer three points then there's a good chance we'll close the gap above us.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2024, 11:58:31 am by ncRover »
Worth keeping an eye on them tomorrow night.

They have been a solid side this year but their centre back partnership recently has been a makeshift veteran left back alongside a young loanee.

Bugiel is a tough bas**rd up front but I’d back our boys to handle him.

Kelly could be a threat in behind but I’m turning in to the boy who cried wolf about that type of warning.

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2024, 12:32:00 pm by Dabbermoo »
The good thing for rovers is the fact that Wimbledon have a fair bit of travelling to do as well this week, a steady away trip to Crawley on Tuesday night then another day of travelling Friday upto doncaster, not far off 1000 miles this week for them to also contend with.
I believe this will take its toll on them also and can only bring the chances of a win for Rovers closer to actually happening. My money this week is on Craig to be booked at any time as 3 yellows in last 3 games so he is consistent, it's great to have a player who puts himself about and isn't scared to get stuck in, massive turn around has happened and I for 1 am so glad I took advantage of the season ticket black Friday sale to ensure next seasons season ticket.  Doncaster win 3-1 on Saturday, Ironside to score 2, Craig to be booked.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2024, 01:07:31 pm by adamtherover »
Worth keeping an eye on them tomorrow night.

They have been a solid side this year but their centre back partnership recently has been a makeshift veteran left back alongside a young loanee.

Bugiel is a tough bas**rd up front but I’d back our boys to handle him.

Kelly could be a threat in behind but I’m turning in to the boy who cried wolf about that type of warning.
if tom can keep matt smith quiet, he can handle anyone in L2!!!!

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2024, 01:45:51 pm by Bollinger »
  We really do need a result next weekend, just as important now as it was four games ago.
  Then it was to rid ourselves of looking over our shoulder at relegation which although not disappearing altogether has receded quite a bit in a short time.
  Now the important bit is showing it is  not just a flash in the pan, keep the good run going, and build enthusiasm in supporters that has been tested to the limit over a long period.
  The threads on this forum alone show the extent of relief many of us are now undergoing, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised even more so by the management and players who must have been feeling the pressure when they were being questioned so much about their game.
  Its a good start, but we need to keep it going and finish the season well, and this game will be a very big test against a team with aspirations to get into the playoffs.

Definitely a game to look forward to.

Since you mention having to look over our shoulder I noticed that three teams beneath us that changed managers recently haven’t had much of a new boss bounce. FGR one win in 5 under Cotterill, Sutton no wins in 8 and Colchester 1 win in 6 under Cowley, although they’ve picked up a few draws and are perhaps a tougher prospect right now.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 20, 2024, 09:41:47 pm by ncRover »
It would appear that Wimbledon are out of form and struggling for goals.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 20, 2024, 10:38:11 pm by Campsall rover »
The good thing for rovers is the fact that Wimbledon have a fair bit of travelling to do as well this week, a steady away trip to Crawley on Tuesday night then another day of travelling Friday upto doncaster, not far off 1000 miles this week for them to also contend with.
I believe this will take its toll on them also and can only bring the chances of a win for Rovers closer to actually happening. My money this week is on Craig to be booked at any time as 3 yellows in last 3 games so he is consistent, it's great to have a player who puts himself about and isn't scared to get stuck in, massive turn around has happened and I for 1 am so glad I took advantage of the season ticket black Friday sale to ensure next seasons season ticket.  Doncaster win 3-1 on Saturday, Ironside to score 2, Craig to be booked.
They were at home to Crawley tonight.  Even if they were away it is only a short trip to Crawley. About 25/30 miles I would estimate.
Where on earth do you get 1000 miles from.
It is about 185 miles from Wimbledon to Doncaster.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 10:41:11 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 21, 2024, 01:38:21 am by scawsby steve »
They were at home to Crawley tonight.  Even if they were away it is only a short trip to Crawley. About 25/30 miles I would estimate.

Camps, your attempt to take my title of Mr Pedantry won't work. That title's definitely mine.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 21, 2024, 07:20:26 am by NickDRFC »

Camps, your attempt to take my title of Mr Pedantry won't work. That title's definitely mine.

Pedantry is an excessive concern with minor or unimportant details or rules. Pointing out that a Wimbledon to Doncaster round trip is significantly less than 1,000 miles isn’t pedantic, it’s just correcting something that is glaringly wrong. Like challenging someone who claims that Doncaster is in France or that Rovers are in the Premier League.

It feels like me pointing that out is pedantic but maybe as the expert you could advise…

:lol: ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 08:13:08 am by NickDRFC »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 21, 2024, 07:43:31 am by roversdude »
Is the centre half with the ridiculous shorts still playing for them

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 21, 2024, 08:43:27 am by Campsall rover »

Pedantry is an excessive concern with minor or unimportant details or rules. Pointing out that a Wimbledon to Doncaster round trip is significantly less than 1,000 miles isn’t pedantic, it’s just correcting something that is glaringly wrong. Like challenging someone who claims that Doncaster is in France or that Rovers are in the Premier League.

It feels like me pointing that out is pedantic but maybe as the expert you could advise…

Not even a round trip Nick
They only have to make the one way journey before the match. They don’t go back until after the game.
So 185 miles is 815 less than 1000 so as you say I was definitely not being pedantic.
I will leave that to SS
There is no way I want to steal your pedantic title from you SS  :)

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 21, 2024, 09:17:24 am by TonySoprano »
looking forward to this one, might even go t sal for a pint too

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 21, 2024, 09:28:16 am by Silkscarf »
The mood of optimism worries me!

It’s the sort of game where we’ve won the fans back and there’s a decent turnout and it all goes to cock. We’ve been there many many times.

But not this time, we’re kicking on, playing some good football and getting 3 points.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 21, 2024, 09:49:12 am by Colin C No.3 »

They only have to make the one way journey before the match. They don’t go back until after the game.
So 185 miles is 815 less than 1000 so as you say I was definitely not being pedantic.
I will leave that to SS

Perhaps their team coach has the same make of sat nav that I have.

It’s a TomCat, a much cheaper version of the TomTom.

I now realise the clue is in the name. The bugger has me roaming all over the shop. Especially at nights.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:56:13 am by Colin C No.3 »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 21, 2024, 10:12:44 am by drfchound »
CC3, I am finding your posts increasingly good to read.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 21, 2024, 10:17:56 am by Donnywolf »

I will leave that to SS

Perhaps their team coach has the same make of sat nav that I have.

It’s a TomCat, a much cheaper version of the TomTom.

I now realise the clue is in the name. The bugger has me roaming all over the shop. Especially at nights.

At least you will have Cats Eyes in road to guide you . Shaw thing I bet

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 21, 2024, 11:37:03 am by idler »
Nice double up there John.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 21, 2024, 01:12:02 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I do believe Wimbledon have Harry diving Pell playing for them

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 21, 2024, 01:43:37 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It wouldn't be rovers like to win a game whilst a mini feel good factor is back. Here's to hoping. Tough game. If we win this we are back IMO

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 21, 2024, 02:15:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Maybe Wimbledon, realising that Doncaster is in Scotland, have planned a 1000 mile trip via Glasgow?

https://the-yorkshireman.com/doncaster-part-of-scotland/

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 21, 2024, 02:38:25 pm by normal rules »
Wouldn’t another goal fest be great for morale? And the GD. Which at the moment is an extra point difference looking at the teams above .

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 21, 2024, 02:53:56 pm by Colin C No.3 »
CC3, I am finding your posts increasingly good to read.

That’s very kind & most humbling hound.

I can only put this sudden ‘spurt of inspiration’ I appear to have found down to my recent move to the coast.

That & the occasional Glenmorangie Single Malt.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 21, 2024, 03:31:29 pm by Barmby Rover »
Wimbledon has not been a happy hunting ground for us in recent times, but with the increased confidence, the new recruits and the attitude of the team you have to fancy Rovers to give it a go at getting a result here. I don't think we ought to be over-confident or gung ho about how well we are going to do, but getting a point away from home would be great, getting more would be excellent.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 21, 2024, 03:47:40 pm by Thorney »
Wimbledon has not been a happy hunting ground for us in recent times, but with the increased confidence, the new recruits and the attitude of the team you have to fancy Rovers to give it a go at getting a result here. I don't think we ought to be over-confident or gung ho about how well we are going to do, but getting a point away from home would be great, getting more would be excellent.

I hope you havnt made plans to travel down to london Barmby.
We are at home this weekend

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 21, 2024, 03:54:24 pm by Thorney »
Not expecting this to be a overly exciting game. What wimbledon have been good at this year is grinding out a draw away from home (most away draws in the league with the least amount of goals conceded)

What we need to do its hit them early like last week and make them come out and play more.

Can see them trying to play the game like newport did and grab a late winner
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:56:44 pm by Thorney »

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 21, 2024, 07:12:20 pm by Barmby Rover »

I hope you havnt made plans to travel down to london Barmby.
We are at home this weekend

Oops! Thank you, better being away from the filth. Home advantage should apply, and it makes me more hopeful of a win.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012