Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:20:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Penalties  (Read 2128 times)

DollyRover

• Forum Member
Penalties
« on May 11, 2024, 08:43:16 am by DollyRover »
Total lottery as we all know but in the finest of margins, shooting second and at their end could have made all the difference.
Be nice if the police decided the penalties needed to be taken at our end on safety grounds  :chair:
Also I feel adelakun taking the last penalty was a mistake, as good as he has been he maybe doesn't feel like someone you can rely on in the high pressure moments but maybe he felt confident enough and volunteered.
 Some cracking penalties from crewe though, gave TLT no chance with the 4 they scored

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Penalties
« Reply #1 on May 11, 2024, 09:08:25 am by ravenrover »
TLT went to his right for every penalty. Pity 4 of theirs went to his left

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 11, 2024, 09:23:52 am by GazLaz »
The lottery cliche not entirely true is it. Taking a penalty is a skill that some people are better at than others.

One thing I’m not sure of, that someone may be able to clarify, is that why did we go second and at their end?

Is there two tosses of the coin select ends and who goes first or did we actually choose to go second?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 11, 2024, 09:25:07 am by Filo »
The lottery cliche not entirely true is it. Taking a penalty is a skill that some people are better at than others.

One thing I’m not sure of, that someone may be able to clarify, is that why did we go second and at their end?

Is there two tosses of the coin select ends and who goes first or did we actually choose to go second?

Two tosses of the coin, I assume we lost both tosses

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 11, 2024, 09:31:31 am by GazLaz »

You’d think.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 11, 2024, 09:35:55 am by Filo »
Why didn’t SYP insist the pens be taken in front of the South Stand on safety grounds, there’s a precedent set for this, of which we were a victim of

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 11, 2024, 09:36:30 am by wilts rover »

Yes appeared to be two tosses. After the first one their captain pointed to the North Stand. Then they went back together for a couple of minutes, which I presumed was the toss for who went first.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 11, 2024, 04:08:10 pm by Filo »
I said before the pens, I didn’t fancy Haks taking one because I thought he might try a Panenka, he didn’t, but looking back at it there wasn’t much conviction in his attempt

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 11, 2024, 04:25:21 pm by GazLaz »
Have to smash this mega decisive penalties down the middle. The keepers nearly always dive. They can’t just stand there can they.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 11, 2024, 04:34:41 pm by drfchound »
I said before the pens, I didn’t fancy Haks taking one because I thought he might try a Panenka, he didn’t, but looking back at it there wasn’t much conviction in his attempt

Ha, I also said he might try a dink into the middle of the goal.
If he had he would have probably scored.
I don’t think anyone went down the middle, did they?
It’s a shame that Hacks’ last kick of a ball for us (probably) was that missed pen.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 11, 2024, 04:41:54 pm by Filo »
Have to smash this mega decisive penalties down the middle. The keepers nearly always dive. They can’t just stand there can they.

Hit them hard and high on target, like you say keeper is always on the floor

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 11, 2024, 04:43:26 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Total lottery as we all know but in the finest of margins, shooting second and at their end could have made all the difference.
Be nice if the police decided the penalties needed to be taken at our end on safety grounds  :chair:
Also I feel adelakun taking the last penalty was a mistake, as good as he has been he maybe doesn't feel like someone you can rely on in the high pressure moments but maybe he felt confident enough and volunteered.
 Some cracking penalties from crewe though, gave TLT no chance with the 4 they scored

It wasn't their end though was it, We had more supporters in our half of the North than they did and the segregation area was directly behind the goal.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 11, 2024, 04:47:48 pm by GazLaz »

That right footed penalty to the right of the goal is an absolute recipe for disaster if the player tightens up a bit. Much more margin for error if you hit it high as you say.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 11, 2024, 04:50:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Geoff Hurst used to hit them hard and high, straight down the middle. It was a case of keepers diving out of the way to avoid the ball hitting them like a bullet more than owt else!

They had two choices, duck or grouse.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 11, 2024, 04:57:33 pm by drfchound »

That right footed penalty to the right of the goal is an absolute recipe for disaster if the player tightens up a bit. Much more margin for error if you hit it high as you say.

The two pens we missed last night reminded me so much of the one missed by Marquis at Charlton.
No real pace on the ball, a couple of feet off the ground and nowhere near the corner of the goal.

DollyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 11, 2024, 06:48:16 pm by DollyRover »
I hadn't realised last night that westbrookes penalty was saved, thought he just hit the post and even as it rolled across the goal I was hoping the spin would take it in. Only penalty I felt confident over was ironside, I'd have backed him to score all 5 if that was an option

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 11, 2024, 06:48:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Typical Donny.

Big match and we couldn't give two tosses.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 11, 2024, 06:51:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

We were talking about this on the way home.

I just don't get why penalty takers don't just smash the ball at the keeper's head. If the keeper dives, there's a box 6 foot wide by three foot deep that is a certain goal. Surely any pro footballer can hit a box that size with a hard shot from 12 yards?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 08:18:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 11, 2024, 07:31:52 pm by GazLaz »

I just don't get why penalty takers don't just smash the ball at the keeper's head. If the keeper dives, there's a box 6 foot wide by three foot deep that is a certain goal. Surely any problems footballer can hit a box that size with a hard shot from 12 yards?

Penalty shoot outs always interest me. Never bought the lottery business.

Do players really volunteer to take them? That doesn’t feel right for starters. If I was a manager I’d select the takers and go as far as telling them where to put them. That clarity must be worth a lot. It’s indecisiveness that causes a lot of missed.

I’d also ask Ironside what he does to send the keeper the wrong way every time!

Surprised Moly didn’t take one. Best technician in the team and also the best ball striker. The two main requirements of taking a penalty…Hurst also took one and scored vs Wigan in a shootout earlier in the season, he may have been next in line.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 07:51:45 pm by GazLaz »

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 11, 2024, 07:41:41 pm by POD »

I just don't get why penalty takers don't just smash the ball at the keeper's head. If the keeper dives, there's a box 6 foot wide by three foot deep that is a certain goal. Surely any problems footballer can hit a box that size with a hard shot from 12 yards?

Do players really volunteer to take them? That doesn’t feel right for starters. If I was a manager I’d select the takers and go as far as telling them where to put them. That clarity must be worth a lot. It’s indecisiveness that causes a lot of missed.

Surprised Moly didn’t take one. Best technician in the team and also the best ball striker. The two main requirements of taking a penalty…

Paul Cook (Chesterfield Manager) was on the Sky Panel for our match and he said that he always chooses the penalty takers himself and bases that on telling the individual player that he can rely on them to score.   

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 11, 2024, 07:43:49 pm by GazLaz »

Surprised Moly didn’t take one. Best technician in the team and also the best ball striker. The two main requirements of taking a penalty…

Paul Cook (Chesterfield Manager) was on the Sky Panel for our match and he said that he always chooses the penalty takers himself and bases that on telling the individual player that he can rely on them to score.   

I honestly think there are edges to be had. Doesn’t guarantee anything but there’s certainly more optimal strategies than asking for five volunteers and praying. This is no slight on Grant. I have no idea what his approach was.

DollyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 11, 2024, 08:10:23 pm by DollyRover »
I'd expect any professional footballer to be able to put the ball into an area the keeper is unlikely to reach from 12 yards but its the immense pressure of the situation that determines much of the outcome which is why I imagine it is left to the player to step up if they feel confident

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 12, 2024, 09:55:48 am by drfchound »
It shouldn’t be overlooked that there is a professional goalkeeper trying to put off the taker and save the shot.
If a keeper is lucky enough to go the right way he has a good chance of making a save.
Something like one out of four penalties are missed.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 12, 2024, 10:36:31 am by TonySoprano »
Did anyone see their keeper throw something into the crewe fans ?

I assume it was timmys bottle with writing on it saying which way their players take the penalties

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 12, 2024, 10:59:27 am by Jonathan »
I’ve no issue with the logic behind the 5 that stepped up.

- Ironside the obvious one and very reliable
- Westbrooke a good technician (awful penalty though)
- Miller was our regular penalty taker before Ironside (got lucky though, another poor strike)
- Bailey is captain material and a good all rounder with plenty of bottle, as he proved
- Adelakun - it had a degree of inevitability about it but he’s a forward player and has been a regular goalscorer so no arguments with him stepping up.

Assume Molyneux and Hurst would’ve been next in line but we’ll never know.

Lots to learn from the shoot out. Little conviction in too many of the efforts.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 12, 2024, 11:02:13 am by karldew »
I wonder if we practised penalties or not after the game on Monday?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 12, 2024, 11:03:23 am by adamtherover »
Just watching the EFL highlights show, the penno claim on Hurst when he got barged over was clear as anything, but then again, this ref gave us nothing all game, so he wasn't going to start then?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 12, 2024, 11:34:49 am by GazLaz »
I wonder if we practised penalties or not after the game on Monday?

Have to have done surely. Criminal if not.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 12, 2024, 11:40:42 am by Bessie Red »
Baker Richardsons was the best penalty, high & hard, no chance any keeper is saving that!

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 12, 2024, 12:26:20 pm by colincramb »
Just watching the EFL highlights show, the penno claim on Hurst when he got barged over was clear as anything, but then again, this ref gave us nothing all game, so he wasn't going to start then?

I agree. Defender just cut straight across him. Definitely a penalty

TinyPortal © 2005-2012