Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:26:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: General Election  (Read 43551 times)

DonnyOsmond and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: General Election
« Reply #1110 on July 03, 2024, 05:42:58 pm by tyke1962 »
''Boris Johnson takes swipe at Starmer and scorns Sunak in first campaign appearance
Ex-PM claims Labour will be ‘most leftwing government since the war’ at Tory election rally in National Army Museum''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/02/boris-johnson-makes-first-tory-election-campaign-appearance

Albie, can you speak to this?

You've started to take what Johnson says as fact now ?

Aye

Recognising fact would be a new string to your bow tyke?

Here's a fact Sydney

Britain will not rejoin EU in my lifetime, says Starmer https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/03/britain-will-not-rejoin-eu-in-my-lifetime-says-starmer?CMP=share_btn_url

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1111 on July 03, 2024, 05:54:14 pm by Filo »
16 cabinet ministers projected to lose their seats in the latest Yougov poll, that is total wipeout

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1112 on July 03, 2024, 06:26:02 pm by tyke1962 »
If RefUK get more than ten million votes, I will chew my left bollock off.

Your probably right about ten million tomorrow but I still detect you are underestimating Reform .

Word over here is they are going to win Barnsley South and if they are successful in that constituency they may well win more seats than they are projected to in other towns .

20 seats tomorrow is a huge alarm going off and I wouldn't say that was impossible .

The former industrial towns of the North and Midlands have aligned with safe Tory seats before and safe Tory seats can easily become Reform seats by 2029 .

We all know Labour are going to walk it tomorrow but it's going to be an interesting night none the less .

The Reform vote tomorrow will be interesting .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1113 on July 03, 2024, 06:33:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Your probably right about ten million tomorrow but I still detect you are underestimating Reform .

Word over here is they are going to win Barnsley South and if they are successful in that constituency they may well win more seats than they are projected to in other towns .

20 seats tomorrow is a huge alarm going off and I wouldn't say that was impossible .

The former industrial towns of the North and Midlands have aligned with safe Tory seats before and safe Tory seats can easily become Reform seats by 2029 .

We all know Labour are going to walk it tomorrow but it's going to be an interesting night none the less .

I entirely agree about the importance of the RefUK vote.

As I've been saying for months, there's a choice coming for the Tory party, and for mild Tory supporters if the party chucks its lot in with Farage after the Election.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1114 on July 03, 2024, 06:53:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »
But other than immigration they have no intelligent plans, the rest make the ordinary folk of the UK worse off.

That's no me saying their immigration policy is good, it's just the most obvious thing they stand for.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1115 on July 03, 2024, 07:02:50 pm by tyke1962 »

I entirely agree about the importance of the RefUK vote.

As I've been saying for months, there's a choice coming for the Tory party, and for mild Tory supporters if the party chucks its lot in with Farage after the Election.

My view is that there are enough right wing voters to win a GE , It's the Tory Party that's collapsed , the voters are still there .

What's not getting discussed either is that Farage is capable of getting voters who wouldn't normally vote ( disenfranchised ) to get out and vote because they feel they are voting for something rather than against .

This is what happened in the referendum and was probably the difference in the end .

People can call him anything they want but he's a sharp political operator and he's bloody good at what he does .

There's many metropolitan and progressive liberals who aren't going to like this but to keep Farage out Labour are going to have to take the steam out of his engine , not capitulate but let's say get on top of things .

Farage ain't going away for the next five years that I do know .

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1116 on July 03, 2024, 07:04:01 pm by Sprotyrover »
Just watched look. North and Igot the impression we might see one or 2 of Reform Candidates as MP’s Strange lot You would expect them to be Rabid Labour.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #1117 on July 03, 2024, 07:04:07 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
has anyone thought how they will hammer ciggies & drink .   I reckon cigarettes will go up 10% let's see

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #1118 on July 03, 2024, 07:13:14 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Lest we forget you chewed the right one off when we won "BREXIT"  :zzz:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1119 on July 03, 2024, 07:17:17 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Lest we forget you chewed the right one off when we won "BREXIT"  :zzz:

Only Farage, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Rishi Sunak and that ilk who bet against the country won Brexit. No one on this forum won that.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1120 on July 03, 2024, 07:25:40 pm by tyke1962 »
Just watched look. North and Igot the impression we might see one or 2 of Reform Candidates as MP’s Strange lot You would expect them to be Rabid Labour.

There's a significant difference between the two Barnsley constituencies and I can only really speak about the makeup over here .

I'd expect Dan Jarvis in Barnsley North to hold his seat but there's a bit more money kicking about in my constituency than in Barnsley South , not that I've any mind .

Wombwell , Darfield and Hoyland are pretty economically challenged areas in the South whilst Darton , Mapplewell and Staincross are pretty decent in the North .

Many in those villages commute to Leeds just up the M1 , I'm right on the border with Wakefield and my road leads to the M1 junction and sometimes I'm five to ten minutes just getting off the drive and that's at 6.30 AM because of the traffic .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1121 on July 03, 2024, 07:27:38 pm by tyke1962 »
has anyone thought how they will hammer ciggies & drink .   I reckon cigarettes will go up 10% let's see

Not who I get them off they won't .

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1122 on July 03, 2024, 09:52:05 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I disagree actually on reform. Any tory voters who are to the right will already be voting reform, the more central set of tory voters won't at all consider reform.

Bst is correct. The tories are at a crossroads (one Labour have just had actually). Do they go properly right and become unelectable or stick with more traditional Conservative policies. I suspect it will be the former and be a huge problem for them, people like Braverman aren't the answer.

Labour have an easy win simply because a lot of people will vote for them because they aren't the current government. If they can avoid factional fighting left vs centre they'll probably keep power for a long time, but if they can't deliver change as we saw after Boris Johnson majority it spells trouble.

I think there is an appetite for new parties and political reform.  But it isn't the current reform at all, a more central party pushing government reform etc would be much more successful.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #1123 on July 03, 2024, 11:02:15 pm by danumdon »
Your correct.

Its just a shame that when parties are fighting to become electable they produce policy that talks about electoral reform (as Labour did) but as soon as they become electable they quickly drop any notion of such a thing.

They all do it.

You could well see an emerging a new centre right party from the debris of Tory and Reform.

A new party without the baggage of these two would fill a void to the right of this current labour party, policy would be very similar but they should or would be prepared to implement rather than threaten and never actually achieve.

This Labour party are now the next taxi on the rank, it will be interesting to see if the have the vision and drive to implement what requires to be done, time will tell. If they don't then they could well be in the position the Tories are now occupying, in five years time.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1124 on July 03, 2024, 11:11:47 pm by SydneyRover »
DD ''Its just a shame that when parties are fighting to become electable they produce policy that talks about electoral reform (as Labour did) but as soon as they become electable they quickly drop any notion of such a thing''

They haven't totally dropped it, but as far as this election goes it's dead. This is why I say more should get involved in politics (from any party) to nullify the extremists and help make changes to improve the country in the long term.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #1125 on July 03, 2024, 11:24:39 pm by danumdon »
To me, any party that did implement electoral reform whilst in power would in effect have a head start when it came to election time.

They could in all possibility make themselves unstoppable from being the leading force in any future coalition governments. It could ensure they then have a program of action for the next generation(25yrs) and the time to implement it.

This in my opinion would be far preferable to the short term thinking that we have suffered from for eons in this country.

The policies that this country desperately needs would require a timeframe similar to come to fruition.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1126 on July 03, 2024, 11:30:48 pm by SydneyRover »
To me, any party that did implement electoral reform whilst in power would in effect have a head start when it came to election time.

They could in all possibility make themselves unstoppable from being the leading force in any future coalition governments. It could ensure they then have a program of action for the next generation(25yrs) and the time to implement it.

This in my opinion would be far preferable to the short term thinking that we have suffered from for eons in this country.

The policies that this country desperately needs would require a timeframe similar to come to fruition.

14+ years should be long enough for any management group to get it together wouldn't you think?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #1127 on July 03, 2024, 11:33:41 pm by danumdon »

14+ years should be long enough for any management group to get it together wouldn't you think?

Not if your formulating policy in 5 year cycles.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1128 on July 03, 2024, 11:43:34 pm by SydneyRover »
There should be some policies that only require maintenance once a course has been set. Such as railways.

Economics, the theories are known and should only require major adjustments in such times as the gfc.

A bloc such as the UK has enough of a turnover to be able to look after all its people and ensure they have a good education, food , shelter and healthcare. It's when extremists start running with stories that too many don't want to work etc. Some have to accept that at times there isn't enough work for everyone and look after those until such times that there is.

No country will never be perfect but politics should not suffer from the shopping trolley effect.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1129 on July 04, 2024, 12:12:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Not if your formulating policy in 5 year month cycles.

Fixed that for you.

The past 14 years, we've had:
5 PMs
7 Chancellors
8 Foreign Secretaries
7 Defence Secretaries
8 Health Secretaries
10 Business Secretaries
9 Work and Pensions Secretaries
10 Education Secretaries
7 Transport Secretaries
13 Culture Secretaries
16 Housing Secretaries
8 Northern Ireland Secretaries
7 Welsh Secretaries
5 Scottish Secretaries
11 Chief Secretaries to the Treasury
8 Attorney Generals
10 Environment Secretaries
10 Local Government Secretaries

Is it any wonder this lot have left the country so broken?

You need stability of policy in a Cabinet. This has looked more like speed dating than a proper Cabinet. Absolute shambles.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1130 on July 04, 2024, 08:09:44 am by IDM »

Fixed that for you.

5 PMs
7 Chancellors
8 Foreign Secretaries
7 Defence Secretaries
8 Health Secretaries
10 Business Secretaries
10 Education Secretaries
7 Transport Secretaries
13 Culture Secretaries
16 Housing Secretaries
7 Welsh Secretaries
5 Scottish Secretaries
8 Attorney Generals

And a partridge in a pear tree.!!!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1131 on July 04, 2024, 08:31:37 am by Sprotyrover »
Beat me to it!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1132 on July 04, 2024, 08:59:01 am by ravenrover »
I disagree actually on reform. Any tory voters who are to the right will already be voting reform, the more central set of tory voters won't at all consider reform.

Bst is correct. The tories are at a crossroads (one Labour have just had actually). Do they go properly right and become unelectable or stick with more traditional Conservative policies. I suspect it will be the former and be a huge problem for them, people like Braverman aren't the answer.

Labour have an easy win simply because a lot of people will vote for them because they aren't the current government. If they can avoid factional fighting left vs centre they'll probably keep power for a long time, but if they can't deliver change as we saw after Boris Johnson majority it spells trouble.

I think there is an appetite for new parties and political reform.  But it isn't the current reform at all, a more central party pushing government reform etc would be much more successful.
The direction they turn will surely be down to who out of the current rabble left standing win their seat?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1133 on July 04, 2024, 09:04:00 am by IDM »
Does changing the boundaries for individual seats constitute "political reform".?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1134 on July 04, 2024, 09:15:51 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Not really no. I imagine we'll hear a lot from farage tomorrow on the disparity of vote share. For all Labour successes it appears they may get less vote share than the current government did and more seats, that is the system ultimately.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #1135 on July 04, 2024, 09:25:24 am by Mike_F »

Fixed that for you.

5 PMs
7 Chancellors
8 Foreign Secretaries
7 Defence Secretaries
8 Health Secretaries
10 Business Secretaries
10 Education Secretaries
7 Transport Secretaries
13 Culture Secretaries
16 Housing Secretaries
7 Welsh Secretaries
5 Scottish Secretaries
8 Attorney Generals

And a partridge in a pear tree.!!!

On that note, Steve Coogan's "Gareth Cheeseman" character is often cited as a major reason for the sales failure of the Ford Probe in the UK. Partridge would absolutely be a Reform voter; if Coogan had played on this he could've dealt a blow to their campaign.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1136 on July 04, 2024, 09:29:15 am by MachoMadness »
The real problem the Tories have now is they have a membership made up of insane libertarians who will put a lunatic culture warrior in to replace Sunak.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #1137 on July 04, 2024, 10:49:34 am by TonySoprano »

You really are in your leftist bubble aren't you ?

I've not met one person who's voting Labour, not one.

Most at my work are voting reform.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #1138 on July 04, 2024, 11:13:37 am by ChrisBx »

Maybe they're just telling you that so they don't have to continue talking to you...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1139 on July 04, 2024, 11:30:55 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I suspect that says a lot more about you that you realise.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012