Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 12:30:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: General Election  (Read 40715 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: General Election
« Reply #720 on June 11, 2024, 08:31:47 pm by ravenrover »
Wonder how many 1st time buyers will be looking at £450k houses?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #721 on June 11, 2024, 08:58:23 pm by danumdon »
As should this...

"If Labour win this time, they'll change the rules so they're in power for a very long time,"says Rishi Sunak, whose party has:

- Rejigged electoral systems
- Changed seat boundaries
- Introduced Voter ID
- Raised election spending limits
- Extended voting overseas

Anyone care to wonder why all these were deemed more important than paying more attention to boats, to the finances of the nation, to global warming - amongst many, many other more important, and more urgent, things?

BobG

Political parties don't change seat boundaries, that's done by the independent Boundary commission.

Have you just thrown that in to make your point ?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #722 on June 11, 2024, 09:00:23 pm by BobG »
But the delay to the review was politically motivated. Care to guess which party did that DD?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #723 on June 11, 2024, 09:03:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tory Manifesto.

NI cuts to be funded by £12bn of totally unspecified "Welfare cuts".

Also, Media: Are you going to put taxes up by £2000 to pay for your promises Ms Reeves?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #724 on June 11, 2024, 09:36:57 pm by BobG »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #725 on June 11, 2024, 10:03:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So Sunak says he wants to abolish NI altogether.

But. Err.

If they do, how will workers build up enough stamp to qualify for a state pension...

OHH! I get it now!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #726 on June 11, 2024, 10:30:41 pm by BobG »
What's the rationale for reducing NI rather than income tax? I get that an IT giveaway of equivalent value would produce a less headline grabbing figure, but can that be the only motivation?

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #727 on June 11, 2024, 11:51:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bob.

1) It's cheaper than reducing income tax because people who don't work but still have an income don't pay it.

2) There's an argument that reducing NI makes it cheaper to employ people.

Problem is of course, if you want decent public services, someone has to pay tax.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #728 on June 11, 2024, 11:54:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Employers also pay National Insurance. A cut in employer and employee National Insurance rates would offer support for businesses.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #729 on June 12, 2024, 12:01:46 am by danumdon »
Its pretty obvious that most of us are going to have to whistle for the state pension.

This just makes it a bigger kick in the knackers that our work pensions are never going to be as good as they should of been because of constant government tinkering with pensions.

How is anyone supposed to plan ahead and save for their retirement when its constantly used as a political football by both main parties. It just seems the lure of pensions savings is too much of a temptation for these people to leave well alone.

Its been suggested that Reeves will be looking in due course to change the taxable benefit on private/company pensions,resulting in reduced outcomes for the vast majority, if this is the case then who knows what they will end up with when reaching retirement age.

This is something that really pisses me off, you plan ahead to ensure you are not reliant on the state for anything and they just use your prudent nature to plan to hive off another lump asap.

No wonder some people just don't bother and will be throwing themselves onto the kindness of the state when they reach that point.

What a busted nation we are.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #730 on June 12, 2024, 12:07:04 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Whenever you momentarily forget what a f**king disgusting rag The Mail is, they always helpfully remind you.https://x.com/davidyelland/status/1800424412916973786/photo/1

Absolutely repulsive. Say what you like about the LDs, but Ed Davey has consistently argued for greatly improved social care. He knows what it is like looking after a child with serious neurological problems and he knows how little help there is.

And an obnoxious t**t like Quentin Letts who has been spewing his filth in The Mail for years thinks that his job is to throw shite at him for that.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #731 on June 12, 2024, 12:08:07 am by Bentley Bullet »
Its pretty obvious that most of us are going to have to whistle for the state pension.

This just makes it a bigger kick in the knackers that our work pensions are never going to be as good as they should of been because of constant government tinkering with pensions.

How is anyone supposed to plan ahead and save for their retirement when its constantly used as a political football by both main parties. It just seems the lure of pensions savings is too much of a temptation for these people to leave well alone.

Its been suggested that Reeves will be looking in due course to change the taxable benefit on private/company pensions,resulting in reduced outcomes for the vast majority, if this is the case then who knows what they will end up with when reaching retirement age.

This is something that really pisses me off, you plan ahead to ensure you are not reliant on the state for anything and they just use your prudent nature to plan to hive off another lump asap.

No wonder some people just don't bother and will be throwing themselves onto the kindness of the state when they reach that point.

There's probably never been a better time to get the next lot out than now!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #732 on June 12, 2024, 12:21:26 am by BobG »
Aye. The paper that consistently batted for the Blackshirts has never changed.

BobG

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #733 on June 12, 2024, 12:24:59 am by Bentley Bullet »
Yep! We're all Mail readers, Bob!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #734 on June 12, 2024, 12:45:10 am by BobG »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #735 on June 12, 2024, 07:21:09 am by Donnywolf »
Shapps .... why does he have to glance down at his Crib notes so obviously ?

Usually does it but today it was off the scale

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #736 on June 12, 2024, 08:54:07 am by Sprotyrover »
Shapps .... why does he have to glance down at his Crib notes so obviously ?

Usually does it but today it was off the scale
What was he talking about? You must know you were clearly hanging on every word! Be careful in your reply as if you make the slightest error Wilts Rover and Co will be calling you a liar

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #737 on June 12, 2024, 09:19:14 am by Filo »
Who else was as destitute as Sunak when growing up without Sky Tv, when Sky TV wasn’t around for the first nine years of his life?

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #738 on June 12, 2024, 09:29:06 am by mugnapper »
He was probably as distraught because they couldn't afford a dishwasher.
However, things improved over time abd just before they got Sky TV they got one.
Her name was Doreen and she also washed, ironed and cleaned for them 3 days a week.
She lived on a nearby Council Estate, earned £5 a week and was a prime example of how Trickle Down economics successfully works.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #739 on June 12, 2024, 09:50:15 am by Bentley Bullet »

"If your pension is considered a 'state benefit' and they decide to act upon this new classification, they can assess you and decide you don't need it even though you've paid into it all your working life.
Now, for the next 42 days, think about that and not the distraction that is national service.
Nigel Farage.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #740 on June 12, 2024, 10:56:32 am by ravenrover »
If NI is reduced to nothing for self employed how will they qualify for State Pension?  And will someone in work still contribute even though self employed don't, until it is zero for them?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #741 on June 12, 2024, 12:13:35 pm by ncRover »
Guarantee Sunak’s parents didn’t have Sky TV back then because they thought it was something “common people” did

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #742 on June 12, 2024, 12:23:38 pm by ncRover »
He’d be better off just owning it. “No, I didn’t have to forgo anything, I had a privileged upbringing thanks to my parents…” would be the truthful answer, so just go with it. Strange bloke.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #743 on June 12, 2024, 02:36:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He’d be better off just owning it. “No, I didn’t have to forgo anything, I had a privileged upbringing thanks to my parents…” would be the truthful answer, so just go with it. Strange bloke.

A senior Tory said several months ago that he was dreading the campaign because Sunak is just awful at the optics.

He's got no idea how he appears.

The thought that they've gone into this campaign with no answer to the privilege barb is beyond belief. And then to try to answer it with "Well my parents had to scrimp and save to send me to one of the oldest and most distinguished public schools in the world"...

There's another clip doing the rounds this morning. Him turning up at ITV studios last week having left the D Day celebration. Apologising for being late because the ceremony "ran over time a bit". Like it was something he couldn't wait to run away from so he could tell ITV about how he was from a home too poor to have a satellite dish.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #744 on June 12, 2024, 02:39:27 pm by Filo »
There’ll be a new Movie made by the Minty Python team or similar about this campaign

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #745 on June 12, 2024, 02:45:05 pm by Sprotyrover »
Guarantee Sunak’s parents didn’t have Sky TV back then because they thought it was something “common people” did
No there are Asian White Collar, probably didn’t even have it to ensure the Kids weren’t distracted from their Homework and Studies! I had a colleague was went to boarding school and they were allowed an hours TV on a Saturday and an hour on a Sunday (songs of Praise) her dad was a widower and wouldn’t re Mary he had money and was a businessman so it was boarding school for her!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #746 on June 12, 2024, 04:44:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You know when I say RefUK is a home to fascists and some folk have a giggle?

I'm not saying that as a lazy insult.

I'm stating a fact.

https://x.com/PickardJE/status/1800782573188116926

When you vote for them lads, don't pretend you don't know what you are voting for.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #747 on June 12, 2024, 05:45:44 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Nevertheless, BST it won't stop some on here throwing around their usual accusation that you label anyone who disagrees with you fascist.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #748 on June 12, 2024, 06:39:42 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Anyone else despairing about the issues and discussion around this election? No party really has a grasp of a positive big picture, and even if they did then they wouldn't talk about it. Corbyn did to some extent. The only big picture that seems to be seen and embraced is the ever increasing dominance of the UK by US corporate interests, and the overall subjugation of the population. A country of castrated lemmings. Even calling us a country is beginning to become a joke.

So we have the biggest election issues - immigration, National Insurance rates, and even National Service. Immigration especially has to be the main issue for fools - all the fuss over a few thousand desperate people coming over when we send £billions upon $billions to the US fat cats. Petty arguments, clear as day lies. Is this for real? Does the winner of this election rule over Beanoland?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #749 on June 12, 2024, 06:44:44 pm by SydneyRover »
Who's going to bet on the next gaffe by risky or one of his team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012