Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:36:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Team depth  (Read 8526 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Team depth
« Reply #30 on May 28, 2024, 10:40:11 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Bit confused as to why people are wanting another striker here, unless it's concerns over whether miller will stay fit? If GM plays his typical formation we have two good strikers for one position. I could imagine signing a young player with potential as a third as backup but wouldn't think that's a key area where we need to look at first team starter quality. For me there are enough other areas that need regular starter quality bringing in, and budget/squad places need to be utilised wisely.

You need to keep squad harmony too and not everyone can start.

In the play off home leg I thought we badly missed having an option up front. If Bimou had been on the bench we’d have seen him not long after HT.

Every team that gets promoted has options up front. We definitely need another one and Iv got a feeling it’s going to be another established player rather than a young loan.

Completely agree. We need cover, tactical options anf competition for the strikers, so I think another two frontmen will be required. Ideally, another in the mould of Biamou and another 'off the shoulder' fox in the box type. I'm sure with McCann being quite attack minded, he will have his targets but as said, it's early doors yet.

Personally, I still think we must make sure the spine of the team is where we need the quality. Keeper obviously an area of concern. Midfield is debatable but we can't afford to be short up front if we want to maintain a top of the table push.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 28, 2024, 10:54:50 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think we need a goalkeeper, two wide players a right back and a striker.  Perhaps 1 more CM aswell and that's it.

I'd still let one GK go out personally.

We're starting from a stronger place no doubt there.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 28, 2024, 11:13:58 am by NickDRFC »
Hurst Ironside Gibson
Sbarra
Close Bailey
Maxwell Wood Anderson Sterry
Lawlor

Subs: Jones, Senior, Olowu, McGrath, Broadbent, Westbrooke, Miller

Currently looking like this.

It's definitely the attacking areas that we look light just now - there's only really one proper attacker on the bench there - but that would look very different with Moly &/or Haks on board. For me, in order of priority, we need:

1. New keeper
2. Moly/Haks (ideally both!) or another winger to challenge for the first team
3. Craig replacement, although my gut feeling is that McCann might be done in central midfield with a fully fit Close & Westbrooke
4. Cover for Ironside (a more physical striker than Miller)
5. Another winger if Moly/Haks don't sign on again
6. Cover for RB - Olowu could play there but would be good to have some competition

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 28, 2024, 02:47:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
Neither Close or Westbrook are good enough to slot into the position left by Craig. Neither are tacklers and I think both are more suited to more attacking roles.
We need another partner for Bailey - we don’t have him in the squad! If Biggins is not signing, then both will be challenging Sbarra.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 28, 2024, 03:57:14 pm by NickDRFC »
Neither Close or Westbrook are good enough to slot into the position left by Craig. Neither are tacklers and I think both are more suited to more attacking roles.
We need another partner for Bailey - we don’t have him in the squad! If Biggins is not signing, then both will be challenging Sbarra.

I agree, but I’ve got a nagging doubt that the reason Close was given a two year deal was to play a deeper role alongside Bailey. Hope I’m wrong, though.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 28, 2024, 05:12:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's up to McCann to decide the make up of the midfield to make sure we have the right tools to attack and defend as a unit.

If he can improve the amount of possession we have, then theoretically, there's less need to defend or attack by tackling. Yes, we would expect to be good at moving the ball from back to front efficiently and getting into those attacking areas. When out of possession, we need to press and force the opposition into mistakes. Picking up second balls is a key part of that.

Craig was great in possession with a high pass completion rate, and looked after the ball very well. That can be done without necessary being a good 'tackler'

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 28, 2024, 05:30:40 pm by Alan Southstand »
We all know it’s up to the manager, but this is a discussion medium and that’s all we’re doing.

By the way, Craig was very good at winning the ball back.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 28, 2024, 07:26:21 pm by ncRover »

I agree, but I’ve got a nagging doubt that the reason Close was given a two year deal was to play a deeper role alongside Bailey. Hope I’m wrong, though.

That’s his best position and probably Westbrooke’s. McCann likes a deep playmaker who can receive the ball under pressure and keep it ticking at the moment.

Keeping this group together after the back end of last season will enable progression. The signings have been good as well.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 29, 2024, 04:21:34 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Hurst Ironside Gibson
Sbarra
Close Bailey
Lawlor

Subs: Jones, Senior, Olowu, McGrath, Broadbent, Westbrooke, Miller

It's definitely the attacking areas that we look light just now - there's only really one proper attacker on the bench there - but that would look very different with Moly &/or Haks on board. For me, in order of priority, we need:

1. New keeper
2. Moly/Haks (ideally both!) or another winger to challenge for the first team
3. Craig replacement, although my gut feeling is that McCann might be done in central midfield with a fully fit Close & Westbrooke
4. Cover for Ironside (a more physical striker than Miller)
5. Another winger if Moly/Haks don't sign on again
6. Cover for RB - Olowu could play there but would be good to have some competition

Agree with this. Now Moly has signed we can tick off number 2. I'd look to bring in a wide player with pace who looks to sit on the shoulder of the last defender for number 5, I think that was a massive plus that Adelakun brought to the team.

Number 3 sounds more likely to be a "Rowe replacement" but at least it's numbers in the building.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 30, 2024, 10:09:33 am by ravenrover »
Is there a remote possibiliyy that after the way GM looked after Craig we might get him back?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 30, 2024, 10:27:39 am by ncRover »
Is there a remote possibiliyy that after the way GM looked after Craig we might get him back?

If you were advising Craig as a family member would you tell him to play in L2 again?

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 30, 2024, 03:31:06 pm by moses »
The only chance would be if no one else picked him up and was either us until January or the U23s.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 30, 2024, 05:39:37 pm by ravenrover »

If you were advising Craig as a family member would you tell him to play in L2 again?
What has it got to do with his family, it's surely down to the club he's contracted to?

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 30, 2024, 05:53:36 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

What has it got to do with his family, it's surely down to the club he's contracted to?

I think Raven was implying that if you had his best intentions to heart you’d steer him upwards.

Unless I’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 30, 2024, 08:09:40 pm by ncRover »

I think Raven was implying that if you had his best intentions to heart you’d steer him upwards.

Unless I’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

Yes that’s what I meant. Anyone outside of Rovers who wanted the best for him. He’s a lot better than League Two.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 30, 2024, 08:34:42 pm by colincramb »
I think there is very little chance (if any at all) that Craig will be back. Would highly expect spurs would want to test him at league 1 level, at the very least.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 30, 2024, 09:37:42 pm by BradwellRover »
Given previous experience, I’d expect him to bring in at least 3 loans, which will go a long way towards strengthening the squad.

AmericanRover

« Reply #47 on May 30, 2024, 11:56:59 pm by AmericanRover »
I feel we will bring in at least 4 more players, maybe even more, before the window closes. A lot of people think we can finish top 3 and so do I as long as we get this window right and everyone refocuses again after the playoff defeat.

RTID

Also, as a side note, do you have to be a VSC member in order to change your avatar on here? Or reach a certain amount of posts?

Cheers.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 31, 2024, 10:57:32 am by Not Now Kato »
What we really need is a man who can play every position, never make an error, and knows just what the opposition is planning so he can counter it…. But so far there’s been no way to get him to put down his pie and coke to come down out of the stands!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 02, 2024, 12:23:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Update

Gibson Ironside Molyneux
Sbarra
Close Bailey
Lawlor

Subs: Jones, Senior, Olowu, Clifton, Westbrooke, Hurst, Miller

Others:
Broadbent
McGrath
Goodman
Faulkner
Kuleya
Degruchy
Sotona
Allen
Flint
Oram
(Straughan-Brown) - Second Year

« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 12:25:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 02, 2024, 12:26:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are missing keeper, right back option, wing option, striker. Those four and we are then done and dusted. Some will be via loans I suspect so might not arrive until much later when EPL close their squads, later this year due to Euros.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 02, 2024, 12:37:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We are missing keeper, right back option, wing option, striker. Those four and we are then done and dusted. Some will be via loans I suspect so might not arrive until much later when EPL close their squads, later this year due to Euros.

Agree with that. Think the keeper will be the one we were linked with from Palace on loan, winger could be on loan, right back maybe permanent such as Emmanuel, forward I don't see being young.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 02, 2024, 04:27:37 pm by ncRover »

Get a quick left footed forward on loan who can play both wide right and central and that ticks 2 of those off.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 03, 2024, 01:30:06 pm by steve@dcfd »
Update

Gibson Ironside Molyneux
Sbarra
Close Bailey
Lawlor

Subs: Jones, Senior, Olowu, Clifton, Westbrooke, Hurst, Miller

Others:
Broadbent
McGrath
Goodman
Faulkner
Kuleya
Degruchy
Sotona
Allen
Flint
Oram
(Straughan-Brown) - Second Year

Requirements stil in order of priority

Goalkeeper
Attacking wide player who can play left or right
Back up front player who can play on his own or a pair
RB cover
Maybe another midfield player

MagicMartinoWoods

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 03, 2024, 05:17:00 pm by MagicMartinoWoods »
I think other than a right back, who should be permanent, it makes sense for any other new additions to be loans.

Loans are useful in that if they aren't working out or the player gets snippy at being benched you can just send them back. Squad harmony is massive in promotion winning teams so you need to get squad balance right.

GM has brought in versatile players - e.g., Sbarra could play on wing and Broadbent or Clifton come into the attacking CM role. Similar for the deeper CM roles, lots of versatility. Same true for centre back with Bailey an option, and Olowu able to move out to RB in a pinch.

There's lots of good talent in our squad that aren't going to want to be third choice for their position and Grant is aiming for a leaner squad than last year. Mcgrath and Faulkner as number 4 and 5 at CB (or 5 and 6 if GM would play Bailey ahead of them) is about right, we don't need anymore CBs unless we don't think Wood can hack as many games this year.

I'd love to get a  permanent GK, but more likely will be a loan. So a permanent RB, then loan GK, CF, winger, and possibly CM, and you've got space for extra loans in case of an injury.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 05:26:08 pm by MagicMartinoWoods »

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 03, 2024, 06:04:43 pm by The Dav »
I’ve heard that Hull are massively investing this year ! I work over there and the figure bounced about is £70 million, if indeed this is the case maybe they’ll release or offload TLT ! Thoughts ?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 03, 2024, 07:27:48 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Just need a keeper and right back for me. Not a fan of huge squads as it just dilutes the quality.

Obviously if a quality loan comes available like what Craig was you take them no matter the position.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 03, 2024, 08:30:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Connor Barrett would be a brilliant acquisition for right back in a McCann team.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 03, 2024, 10:31:06 pm by steve@dcfd »
Just need a keeper and right back for me. Not a fan of huge squads as it just dilutes the quality.

Obviously if a quality loan comes available like what Craig was you take them no matter the position.
We have 19 first team players the rest are not ready for a top of the table side so yes we need more quality loan or permanent

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 03, 2024, 10:34:37 pm by Danmckay456 »
I’m sure I read that Grant wants a squad of 22 but with more competition in every position if that’s the case then another 3 players then unless some get moves away we can’t be far away

TinyPortal © 2005-2012