Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 09:18:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 17833 times)

idler and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #120 on June 17, 2024, 12:15:31 pm by Copps is Magic »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPvcME8rOVI

Foden is most effective for Man City central or slightly on the right. Out of position for England in Southgate's imagination. I think he needs greater link up play with Kane to be effective but that was absent last night. I would take Trent out, put Gordon on the wing, move Foden more central and go with a 4-1-4-1 formation.

I also think England looked lethargic, like very tired in their performance, which is very worrying, and I also don't understand why Southgate doesn't manage his players better - like taking Kane off and putting on a striker who can run in behind.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on June 17, 2024, 12:15:53 pm by Filo »
For me, going into the tournament without a fit left back is criminal. Add that to Foden being crap last night and the whole left side looked vunerable. On the right get tight on Saka and he looks ordinary as shown in the Second half

Do we have any?

Chillwell is better at left back than Tripier

Absolutely, but he's played 13 games all season and not started a game for over 3 months, he was never going.  Clearly the aim is to get Shaw fit and if we can get him in for the knockouts that is a good solution.  Mitchell at Palace may have been the only other shout.

Yet on the other side Walker has started 12 games all season

I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers from as they're miles off.

From last night commentary, unless I miss heard, I do have hearing aids lol!

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on June 17, 2024, 12:27:56 pm by Donnybax »
They were talking about Stones

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on June 17, 2024, 01:26:51 pm by ncRover »

Foden is most effective for Man City central or slightly on the right. Out of position for England in Southgate's imagination. I think he needs greater link up play with Kane to be effective but that was absent last night. I would take Trent out, put Gordon on the wing, move Foden more central and go with a 4-1-4-1 formation.

I also think England looked lethargic, like very tired in their performance, which is very worrying, and I also don't understand why Southgate doesn't manage his players better - like taking Kane off and putting on a striker who can run in behind.

If you put Foden in the middle then you nullify our best player Bellingham who would have to sit deeper and cover for him.

Look at Bellingham’s goal record for Madrid where he almost plays as a centre forward. You don’t want him playing deeper.

I agree on Gordon though. Shaw and Watkins could work on the left. He should have taken Rashford as an option.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on June 17, 2024, 02:00:01 pm by Filo »
They were talking about Stones

Fair enough

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on June 17, 2024, 05:42:08 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Agree with a lot of this. Foden is probably going to have to play wide and be allowed to drift in though.Saka has to hold the width and is the best we have at that 1v1 situation.

Looked very leggy in midfield in the 2nd half with TAA in there and even in the 1st in tight areas with his back to goal he wasn’t quite as safe on the ball as he needs to be for midfield. Gallagher or Mainoo should play instead imo for their energy.

And you’re right on managing the players. Kane did a good job staying high up and was unlucky not to score but with 20min to go I felt we were crying out for someone who can actually run. They were flying forwards and we needed someone to turn them. Also we can’t really press when the lead player is this slow.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on June 17, 2024, 06:43:24 pm by dickos1 »
Bellingham is better playing deeper for me, he can do everything, wins tackles, great passing, can get all over the pitch.
I’d have him alongside rice and foden as a number 10

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on June 17, 2024, 07:06:08 pm by RoversInSpain »
Good evening England and Southgate moaners

Belgium 0 Slovakia 1

We did get a good result last night didn’t we, go on admit it….

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on June 17, 2024, 07:09:24 pm by Alan Southstand »
Much more entertaining 1-0!

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on June 17, 2024, 07:15:06 pm by RoversInSpain »
There was a parked bus, surely not that entertaining

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on June 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Good evening England and Southgate moaners

Belgium 0 Slovakia 1

We did get a good result last night didn’t we, go on admit it….

Exactly the point I tried to make on another thread. It's not about how you play it's the win. That's all that matters in tournament football and many a team have won the trophy without playing pretty football and winning 5 0 each game as every England fan expects

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on June 17, 2024, 09:31:18 pm by dickos1 »
France struggling against Austria!

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on June 17, 2024, 10:00:22 pm by RoversInSpain »
Yep the French look pretty pleased with a 1-0 don’t they?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on June 17, 2024, 10:23:53 pm by dickos1 »
Wonder if the French public are as outraged at a 1-0 win

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on June 17, 2024, 10:34:58 pm by ChrisBx »

They probably have similar views as some English fans. The commentary team earlier tonight said that Deschamps gets some criticism for being "too conservative"... sounds familiar!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on June 18, 2024, 08:29:59 am by steve@dcfd »
Let’s go radical drop Kane play Bellingham as a false 9 move Foden into the middle where he might play better. Saka on the right and either Gordon or Eze on the left. As Cesc said Foden has to step up along with DeBryner and Cocu with both were poor for Belgium is that their managers fault

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on June 18, 2024, 08:33:06 am by GazLaz »
Let’s go radical drop Kane play Bellingham as a false 9 move Foden into the middle where he might play better. Saka on the right and either Gordon or Eze on the left. As Cesc said Foden has to step up along with DeBryner and Cocu with both were poor for Belgium is that their managers fault

Are you being sarcastic or are you really suggesting we drop the best No9 in the world?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on June 18, 2024, 08:40:21 am by Campsall rover »
Bellingham is better playing deeper for me, he can do everything, wins tackles, great passing, can get all over the pitch.
I’d have him alongside rice and foden as a number 10
100% agree dickos.
If we beat Denmark and qualify before we play Slovenia then I would do exactly that dickos.
Bellingham can still get forward from playing that role. He has got the legs. Remember Colin Bell he was box to box and Bellingham is even better than Colin Bell and that’s some compliment. David Platt another.

Bellingham has that physical presence and can tackle never mind assists & score goals. Get him playing where he will really run the game and give Foden the opportunity to shine. Play Gordon on the left. Gives the team more balance.
In fact why wait for Slovenia. I would back us to do the business against Denmark who ever we play so long as the team plays on the front foot for at least 75/80 mins and not just 45 mins

The big tests are against the best teams in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal & Netherlands.

I just hope Southgate can think a bit outside the box or maybe it’s inside the box.
Play a system and put your 11 players in that system that suits them best.
Anyone remember Alf Ramsey in ‘66’
He played 4-4-2 without any wingers. Peters & Ball as the wider players in the middle instead of Thompson & Callaghan the 2 Liverpool wingers. Everyone thought he had lost the plot. He even left Jimmy Greaves out of the team & we went on to win the World Cup.
Not only that but Alf said we would win it.
I want to hear Southgate say to the players we will win the Euro’s with conviction. Be brave. He who dares.
It would be brilliant to hear him say publicly that we are going to win the Euro’s

Let’s be honest GS has nothing to lose. If we don’t win it he is gone. He will probably resign anyway before he is sacked.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on June 18, 2024, 08:48:34 am by Campsall rover »
Seriously. That would not be radical but down right stupid imo. He is a goalscorer and given the service is capable of being the highest scorer in the competition.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on June 18, 2024, 09:10:35 am by steve@dcfd »

Are you being sarcastic or are you really suggesting we drop the best No9 in the world?
I’m certainly not being serious but sick of hearing about Foden and where he should play he’s played 22 games in qualifiers or tournament games he’s scored 1 goal and had 6 assists. It’s about time he stepped up and produced the form he shows at City in an England shirt.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 09:25:27 am by steve@dcfd »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on June 18, 2024, 09:11:32 am by Pancho Regan »

As an aside, it's a little-known fact that Rovers actually first coined the term "False number 9" a year after we signed Carl Alford.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 09:29:31 am by Pancho Regan »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on June 18, 2024, 10:38:55 am by Campsall rover »

They probably have similar views as some English fans. The commentary team earlier tonight said that Deschamps gets some criticism for being "too conservative"... sounds familiar!
They looked a very dangerous side to me. 1-0 maybe but they attack in numbers and have pace to burn all over the park. They also are physically strong with some serious athletes in the team.

They are the team I fear most but don’t think that word should be used. The only way to play against them is use the same tactics they use. Attack at every opportunity with pace and numbers.
Austria were a good team just didn’t have an end product and were short in quality up front.
We have the ammunition to beat them. 100% we do. Over to you Gareth set the team up right and we can not only beat France but we can beat anyone.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on June 18, 2024, 10:53:02 am by TonySoprano »
I have no idea how he got the job in the first place, the fa really have to take the blame, blessed with the best players on the planet and he has got no idea , why has a middlesborough manager who was always average got the england managers job,

Wow, just seen this post.

Absolute nutter.

Anyone who thinks southgate has been anything short of fantastic for England, should stop watching international football because it's clearly not for them.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on June 18, 2024, 12:01:17 pm by ncRover »

I’m certainly not being serious but sick of hearing about Foden and where he should play he’s played 22 games in qualifiers or tournament games he’s scored 1 goal and had 6 assists. It’s about time he stepped up and produced the form he shows at City in an England shirt.

Raheem Sterling had a better record than that but got slaughtered by England fans and the media.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on June 18, 2024, 06:56:38 pm by Little Wolf »
It amazes me people who think Austria are going to be a walkover when they have lost 1 game in the last 12 including a draw in Belgium going in to this tournament and England who have lost 5 out of their last 6 going in this tournament think they are going to win it, i suppose i am more realistic than some

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on June 18, 2024, 08:21:27 pm by streathamdave »
The England formation vs Serbia was attacking and it worked 1st half. Dragan clearly savaged them at half time and changed system. It must be frustrating for him trying to coach people who can't do what he could as a player. Nothing is given for free in competition international football as higher ranked Belgium found out and France did no better than us in terms of performance or score. Gareth Southgate wouldn't have been my pick when he was appointed, but results show he has done a great job. It is time for players he has shown faith in to pay him back and take some personal respponsibility. I still think things will click this comp.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on June 18, 2024, 09:38:30 pm by dickos1 »
It amazes me people who think Austria are going to be a walkover when they have lost 1 game in the last 12 including a draw in Belgium going in to this tournament and England who have lost 5 out of their last 6 going in this tournament think they are going to win it, i suppose i am more realistic than some

You’re either on the wind up or you are maybe the daftest person to ever post on here

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on June 18, 2024, 09:43:59 pm by Little Wolf »
Why~ have Austria not lost only 1 in 12 games or England not lost 5 out of the last 6 are you denying history now

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on June 18, 2024, 10:29:59 pm by ChrisBx »
Why~ have Austria not lost only 1 in 12 games or England not lost 5 out of the last 6 are you denying history now

England didn't lose 5 out of 6 going into the tournament.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on June 18, 2024, 10:30:38 pm by dickos1 »
Majority of those games are meaningless friendlies,
Look at the competitive results over the last 12 games

TinyPortal © 2005-2012