Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 08:39:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 17757 times)

Torrevieja Rover, Goldthorperover, ncRover, drfcsteve and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #150 on June 18, 2024, 10:54:29 pm by Little Wolf »
Your right its won 1 in the last 6 games

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on June 18, 2024, 11:11:50 pm by Little Wolf »
Majority of those games are meaningless friendlies,
Look at the competitive results over the last 12 games

Think you have forgot how poor we were in our last major competition

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on June 18, 2024, 11:24:22 pm by BobG »
Really?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #153 on June 19, 2024, 03:21:08 am by dickos1 »

This shows how clueless you are
Last major comp our results were
Won 6-2
Drew 0-0
Won 3-0
Won 3-0
Lost 2-1

Austria in last major comp
Didn’t even qualify

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on June 19, 2024, 08:17:58 am by Little Wolf »

Won 6-2
Drew 0-0
Won 3-0
Won 3-0
Lost 2-1

Didn’t even qualify

Im sorry , have you not heard, UEFA introduced a new major competition called the nations league, i thought you must have heard of it, bit surprised you have not, but let me get you up to date and up to speed

Team   Pl   W   D   L   F   A   GD   Pts
1   Italy           6   3   2   1      8   7       1     11
2   Hungary   6   3   1   2   8   5   3   10
3   Germany   6   1   4   1   11   9   2   7
4   England   6   0   3   3   4   10   -6   3

Here is how we did in the last competition bottom of the group and relegated from the top 16 teams of Europe 3 points from 18
Dont worry there are lots of videos on the internet so you can catch up on the matches you have missed
NB dont watch the Engalnd Hungary match its a bit of a video nasty

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on June 19, 2024, 08:23:27 am by drfcdrfc »
Nations league a major competition

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on June 19, 2024, 08:35:06 am by Little Wolf »
Are you saying this is not a major competition :-

In addition to a financial prize of 10.5 million , the team that manages to win the trophy will also receive a sporting reward: the Nations League champions will be given privileged status in qualifying for the World Cup. They will be drawn into a group of five teams, instead of the usual six.

Are you saying you are not interested if England do well in the nations league i find that hard to believe, you tell that to the Spanish French and Portugal fans after they won i am sure they will disagree

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on June 19, 2024, 09:41:23 am by NickDRFC »

In addition to a financial prize of 10.5 million , the team that manages to win the trophy will also receive a sporting reward: the Nations League champions will be given privileged status in qualifying for the World Cup. They will be drawn into a group of five teams, instead of the usual six.

Are you saying you are not interested if England do well in the nations league i find that hard to believe, you tell that to the Spanish French and Portugal fans after they won i am sure they will disagree

Yes, I’m sure if you asked a French fan to tell you about the last time they won a major tournament they’d regale you with the thrilling journey to the Nations League title in a half empty* stadium, swatting aside opponents that they can’t even remember, as opposed to their World Cup triumph 3 years earlier.

They’re glorified friendlies. We came 3rd in the very first Nations League in 2019 and I’ve never heard anyone suggest that was a good achievement or use it in Southgate’s defence.

*more than half empty - attendance 31k in the 80k San Siro

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on June 19, 2024, 09:48:51 am by ChrisBx »

Won 6-2
Drew 0-0
Won 3-0
Won 3-0
Lost 2-1

Didn’t even qualify

Im sorry , have you not heard, UEFA introduced a new major competition called the nations league, i thought you must have heard of it, bit surprised you have not, but let me get you up to date and up to speed

Team   Pl   W   D   L   F   A   GD   Pts
1   Italy           6   3   2   1      8   7       1     11
2   Hungary   6   3   1   2   8   5   3   10
3   Germany   6   1   4   1   11   9   2   7
4   England   6   0   3   3   4   10   -6   3

Here is how we did in the last competition bottom of the group and relegated from the top 16 teams of Europe 3 points from 18
Dont worry there are lots of videos on the internet so you can catch up on the matches you have missed
NB dont watch the Engalnd Hungary match its a bit of a video nasty

There's been a World Cup since then.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on June 19, 2024, 10:02:59 am by Little Wolf »
world cup was in 2022, last nations league was 2023

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on June 19, 2024, 10:24:29 am by NickDRFC »
world cup was in 2022, last nations league was 2023

It’s bizarre that you’re trying to cling to this, but if so at least get your facts straight. The Nations League final was in 2023, but the competition ran from 2022 and in fact every single one of those games that you’ve highlighted for England (the 3 draws and 3 defeats) were played between June & September 2022. The World Cup was in November/December 2022.

So yeah, there has been a World Cup since then.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on June 19, 2024, 01:46:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
If Germany can have
F. Wirtz
İ. Gündoğan
J. Musiala
K. Havertz
Playing in a front four then
Saka
Bellingham
Foden
Kane
Should be able to playe together.
None of the German players are out and out wingers
Germany play 4231 same as us so our front four should be able to link it all together.
My only problem is we need a left footed full back even if Shaw is not fit

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on June 19, 2024, 03:30:36 pm by drfcdrfc »

Its not a major competition at all, despite it being pushed as one

Nobody cares or remembers who even won it

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on June 19, 2024, 04:30:45 pm by dickos1 »
Nations league is not a major tournament!!
Sums up everything about your nonsense does that

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on June 19, 2024, 05:08:19 pm by drfcsteve »
This is going off on a tangent. My view is we saw another classic Southgate performance, go one up and then change the game to rely on not conceding and hoping we get lucky with another goal. We’ve seen it so many times. Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn’t.

The frustration as a fan is believing that if we just played the way we can for 90 minutes, firstly it’d be more entertaining, and secondly in my view it would get better results.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on June 19, 2024, 05:39:22 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
This is going off on a tangent. My view is we saw another classic Southgate performance, go one up and then change the game to rely on not conceding and hoping we get lucky with another goal. We’ve seen it so many times. Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn’t.

The frustration as a fan is believing that if we just played the way we can for 90 minutes, firstly it’d be more entertaining, and secondly in my view it would get better results.
This is my view entirely Steve, it's clearly a divisive subject - as this thread and the rest of the internet (BBC sport comments etc) seems to suggest. I've nailed my colours to the mast as anti-Southgate, but we've clearly progressed further in tournament football than for a long time, but somehow it's uninspiring and dull, and I personally don't think he's got enough non-textbook intuition to win us the big games when it counts. And this is a bit of a soft measure (to say the least) but I've not spotted many (if any) cars with flags on, houses done up for games, shirts on walking the street etc, which suggests a level of disconnection between the country on the whole and the team. I hope we win, but I'm current not inspired and definitely not a believer! Equally I'm happy to accept that others don't / won't agree and can see the strengths and success of Southgate!

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on June 19, 2024, 07:00:20 pm by arkseyrover »
To settle the argument forget about games won or lost in whatever competition. Just base it on trophies won.

GARETH SOUTHGATE = NONE

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on June 19, 2024, 07:33:26 pm by scawsby steve »
I've been a massive football fan all my long life, and love major tournaments. Someone's been on about one. What was it called? Notions League? Neeshen's League?

Did we play in it? If so, I can't remember it. It reminds me of that p*sspot tournament about 40 years ago, the Anglo-Italian Trophy or something daft.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on June 20, 2024, 12:28:34 pm by Mike_F »
To settle the argument forget about games won or lost in whatever competition. Just base it on trophies won.

GARETH SOUTHGATE = NONE

By that logic Grant McCann is a worse Rovers manager than the combination of Dean Saunders & Brian Flynn and he's no better than Schofield or McSheffrey.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on June 20, 2024, 12:32:39 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Nations league is not a major tournament,  it's glorified friendlies for UEFA so get more money out of fans. Genuinely nobody cares

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on June 20, 2024, 01:47:43 pm by NickDRFC »

GARETH SOUTHGATE = NONE

By that logic Grant McCann is a worse Rovers manager than the combination of Dean Saunders & Brian Flynn and he's no better than Schofield or McSheffrey.

Sadly he's not the only one following that logic...

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on June 20, 2024, 02:08:06 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Great stat just seen on the beeb website. STFU winging like little babies when we don't win convincingly or score loads. It. Does. Not. Matter. In. Tournament. Football

When Spain won the 2010 World Cup they scored just four goals in the group stage, won 1-0 in the last 16, quarter-final and semi-final, before winning the final against the Netherlands 1-0 in extra time.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on June 20, 2024, 02:24:46 pm by steve@dcfd »

GARETH SOUTHGATE = NONE
Alf Ramsey = One
The rest of the England managers with all the players they have even the golden generation =None
So for the hype around all the players we’ve had since 1966 we’ve won nothing
So every manager has been no good and the players have been brilliant (sarcasm)
Also this season
Man City PG Arsenal MA ManUtd TH Newc EH Liver JK Brighton WH AV not one of these brilliant premier league sides got to a semi final in a European competition last season
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 02:34:06 pm by steve@dcfd »

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on June 20, 2024, 06:57:31 pm by arkseyrover »
Laugh that one off!!!!!!!

Well done Gareth.

What a loser.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on June 20, 2024, 07:16:02 pm by Draytonian III »
Laugh that one off!!!!!!!

Well done Gareth.

What a loser.

I’ve asked this question before, who do you replace him with and why that person ?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on June 20, 2024, 08:15:24 pm by grayx »
Nations league is not a major tournament,  it's glorified friendlies for UEFA so get more money out of fans. Genuinely nobody cares
Totally agree. Cant believe anyone thinks otherwise.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on June 20, 2024, 08:37:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
Maybe the players thought they were playing in the Nations League competition, after that diabolical display!

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on June 20, 2024, 09:07:14 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Best thing is Southgate will be leaving on his terms. Sounds like it's down to him to leave after this tournament. The FA want him until the world cup.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on June 20, 2024, 09:13:38 pm by dickos1 »

GARETH SOUTHGATE = NONE

What an absolute ridiculous statement.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on June 20, 2024, 09:25:33 pm by drfcsteve »
For those that think Southgate is the right man for the job, can anyone explain what his tactics are? Kyle Walker was asked after the match if they’re told to all drop back when they go a goal up and he said something like “we all want to play attacking football”, so what’s going on?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012