Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 05:19:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 22753 times)

drfcsteve, andyst79, adamtherover and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #240 on June 26, 2024, 08:13:49 am by NickDRFC »
He doesn't even know what his best 11 is.

Well he thought he did as he played the same team twice.
But he won’t do now, those subs made us much better

We’ll see. I’ve defended Southgate so much to friends over the past few years but I’ve lost it with him now. I think he’ll pick the same side next time out as well.

We might have topped the group but it’s the easiest group in the competition and nobody else will top the group with as little as 5 points. I just watch this team and have zero idea what the plan is beyond stodgy build up and hoping for a moment of magic a some stage through one of the forwards. The sad thing is that it looks like the players have zero idea of what the plan is either.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #241 on June 26, 2024, 08:33:40 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's not so much the players selected but the cautious way they're asked to play. I'm convinced of that. Other than Gallagher who ran around like a headless chicken, Mainou's better positional sense brought a slight improvement in the second half. Add Palmer into that and it's probably our best XI.

For me, the overriding thing stopping us getting on the front foot, is the fear of getting caught on the break.

Rice's positioning often dictates the state of our play. He holds the middle ground, very rarely freeing himself up to receive the ball in a pocket as a pivot from our centre halves and full backs.

In the second half we got a glimpse of Stones bringing the ball further forward from our deep lying defence, which then draws the opposition out, creating the space for Rice and Mainou to get into those pockets. It's from there, we need the movement off the ball from our forward talent and overlapping full backs.  We just need to be brave enough to make that tweak and have the desire to keep up the pace once we flick the switch.

My fear is, given Gareths history, we get stuck in an overcautious rut, and we can't sustain periods of pressure. So many times, we let teams off the hook by backing off. Croatia, Italy, France, all were under the cosh until we backed off and gave them a chance to regroup.

These players are itching to be let off the leash. This is your last chance Gareth.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on June 26, 2024, 09:18:57 am by rtid88 »
Feels like the leash has never been held tighter by Southgate, and can't see that changing now. He will stick with the same formation that simply doesn't work with the players we have available. To win this tournament we needed to be far more attacking minded but Southgate is just far too cautious for that.

Want to stay optimistic that we can kick on in the knockouts but really struggling to keep that optimism alive.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 03:23:27 pm by rtid88 »

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on June 26, 2024, 09:23:57 am by drfcsteve »
We just don’t create anything of note. One good move in 94 minutes yesterday where Foden was about a yard offside and that was it.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on June 26, 2024, 09:26:53 am by ForsolongaRover »
The only time we look like scoring is when risks are taken. I’d go as far to say that it’s worse than watching Rovers under Schofield. Players even seem afraid to run into empty space and as soon as any opponent even looks as though they might challenge for the ball, it is despatched backwards or sideways. You can play like that for a lifetime and never score a goal.

The most aggressive player in the side is Pickford.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #245 on June 26, 2024, 09:37:14 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Feels like the leash has never been held tighter by Southgate, and can't see that changing now. He will still with the same formation that simply doesn't work with the players we have available. To win this tournament we needed to be far more attacking minded but Southgate is just far too cautious for that.

Want to stay optimistic that we can kick on in the knockouts but really struggling to keep that optimism alive.

Yes, it feels like we've become the Italy of old but without the ruthless tactical know how when it matters.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on June 26, 2024, 10:01:47 am by Campsall rover »
P45 for Gareth.

Robson & Venables, will be turning in their graves watching this garbage.
Heavens knows what Sir Alf Ramsey would make of it.

If we had the right manager we would have a fantastic team that would have blown away all 3 opponents we have had so far this Euros.

Giving Gordon 5 mins someone please tell me what that’s all about.
Disgrace. We were crying out for him from the 1st min.
Trippier never once tried an overlap with Foden or Bellingham. Not once. Not having a left footed left back is a shambles. It’s beyond any words I can find.

P45 for Gareth

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #247 on June 26, 2024, 10:07:38 am by Butchers Red »
Is Southgate Schofield in disguise??

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on June 26, 2024, 10:15:29 am by Reg of the Rovers »
Is Southgate Schofield in disguise??

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #249 on June 26, 2024, 10:18:06 am by dickos1 »
P45 for Gareth.

If we had the right manager we would have a fantastic team that would have blown away all 3 opponents we have had so far this Euros.

Trippier never once tried an overlap with Foden or Bellingham. Not once. Not having a left footed left back is a shambles. It’s beyond any words I can find.

P45 for Gareth

I’m sorry but that’s rubbish,
Both the managers you mentioned also got slagged off in major tournaments, both struggled in tournaments.
Looking back at those managers and teams with rose tinted specs.
Fact is this team and manager have been the most successful we’ve had in 60 years.
People will say it’s because he’s had the best team, he certainly didn’t inherit the best team and we’ve had squads better than this one in the past and done nothing.
We’ve reached the World Cup semi, a euros final and a World Cup quarter.
These a facts

Under all previous managers we never came near that kind of record.

But he’s won nothing, will be the response of many, but if you’re only measure of success is winning a major tournament then you’re setting yourself up for disappointment, fact is we’ve come closer in the last 8 years than we have for the previous 60

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on June 26, 2024, 10:32:18 am by EasyforDennis »
P45 for Gareth.

P45 for Gareth

Both the managers you mentioned also got slagged off in major tournaments, both struggled in tournaments.
Fact is this team and manager have been the most successful we’ve had in 60 years.
People will say it’s because he’s had the best team, he certainly didn’t inherit the best team and we’ve had squads better than this one in the past and done nothing.
These a facts

But he’s won nothing, will be the response of many, but if you’re only measure of success is winning a major tournament then you’re setting yourself up for disappointment, fact is we’ve come closer in the last 8 years than we have for the previous 60

I admire your 100% blind faith in Gareth Southgate and his England team but..................It is boring to watch and there are no prizes for coming close.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on June 26, 2024, 11:07:07 am by Campsall rover »
P45 for Gareth.

P45 for Gareth

These a facts

Robson and Venables didn’t play turgid football did they.
Yes every manager gets criticised but come on dickos do you seriously think Southgate is going to win anything?
Is being the bridesmaid again OK with you. Should we always be happy with being runners up or semi finalists or maybe the Quarter finals are ok for little old England.
Come on Dickos we should be winning something with this squad. Well having a left back might help.

Look I have backed Southgate for years but this garbage is unacceptable whether we got through our group or not.
If Denmark had scored a late goal yesterday we would be playing Germany next. How do you think Southgate would have set us up against them. Do you think we can flick a switch and suddenly become world beaters.
No what GS has done is create a massive fear factor in the team. Safety 1st tactics which is stifling the life out of the players.

Listen if we go on to win it then I hold my hands up and say I was wrong. If we get to the semi final and get cheated by the ref or VAR then that’s unfortunate but if we go out playing this turgid 1st or 2nd gear football with the handbrake on then that’s unforgivable and Southgate is going to end up being vilified.
Every manager in the world would want to have this squad at their disposal.

Why is every single ex player and current English manager & 20 million fans saying the same thing about his team selection and set up. Yet Southgate is so blinkered and stubborn he can’t see it.

So sorry dickos what I posted was not rubbish. 

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #252 on June 26, 2024, 11:09:34 am by drfcsteve »
I feel sorry for Trippier. He’s not a left back, he’s got no left foot, it’s not his fault Southgate didn’t bring anyone with a left foot in that position apart from a crock.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on June 26, 2024, 11:17:01 am by Campsall rover »
I feel sorry for Trippier. He’s not a left back, he’s got no left foot, it’s not his fault Southgate didn’t bring anyone with a left foot in that position apart from a crock.
Of course it’s not his fault. He isn’t going to refuse to play at left back is he.
Southgate is a buffoon not taking a fit left back. There is no other word for it.
What other International manager would pick o squad of 26 with one crocked left back in it?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #254 on June 26, 2024, 11:26:22 am by Filo »

Trippier didn’t once overlap or offer width, instead coming inside and play it back, shutting down any momentum in attack, Shaw was on the bench, with the knowledge that shaw wasn’t fully match fit he could have given him the last 20 mins, got some minutes into him and tell him to get down the left give us some width, if he wasn’t fit why was he named on the bench?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #255 on June 26, 2024, 11:37:02 am by dickos1 »
P45 for Gareth.

P45 for Gareth

These a facts

Yes every manager gets criticised but come on dickos do you seriously think Southgate is going to win anything?
Is being the bridesmaid again OK with you. Should we always be happy with being runners up or semi finalists or maybe the Quarter finals are ok for little old England.
Come on Dickos we should be winning something with this squad. Well having a left back might help.

Look I have backed Southgate for years but this garbage is unacceptable whether we got through our group or not.
If Denmark had scored a late goal yesterday we would be playing Germany next. How do you think Southgate would have set us up against them. Do you think we can flick a switch and suddenly become world beaters.
No what GS has done is create a massive fear factor in the team. Safety 1st tactics which is stifling the life out of the players.

Listen if we go on to win it then I hold my hands up and say I was wrong. If we get to the semi final and get cheated by the ref or VAR then that’s unfortunate but if we go out playing this turgid 1st or 2nd gear football with the handbrake on then that’s unforgivable and Southgate is going to end up being vilified.

Why is every single ex player and current English manager & 20 million fans saying the same thing about his team selection and set up. Yet Southgate is so blinkered and stubborn he can’t see it.

Yes we played turgid football under robson and venables, robson had the most abuses of any manager other than Taylor probably.
Even Euro 96 we were very poor in a lot of the games, and italia 90 we were dreadful in most of the games.
The facts are simple the last 8 years have been the best we’ve done in tournaments.
No team plays superb in the groups and then wins the competition, it never happens. The winners are usually the teams that grows into the tournament.
Germany, Portugal, Argentina in recent times for example.

We’re in the middle of a tournament and the negativity is outrageous, I can’t even listen to the radio. People are so entitled and think we should just be rocking up and winning, no wonder other countries can’t stand us.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #256 on June 26, 2024, 11:43:48 am by Campsall rover »
P45 for Gareth.

P45 for Gareth

These a facts

Yes we played turgid football under robson and venables, robson had the most abuses of any manager other than Taylor probably.
Even Euro 96 we were very poor in a lot of the games, and italia 90 we were dreadful in most of the games.
The facts are simple the last 8 years have been the best we’ve done in tournaments.
No team plays superb in the groups and then wins the competition, it never happens. The winners are usually the teams that grows into the tournament.
Germany, Portugal, Argentina in recent times for example.

We’re in the middle of a tournament and the negativity is outrageous, I can’t even listen to the radio. People are so entitled and think we should just be rocking up and winning, no wonder other countries can’t stand us.
Well if you’re happy then that’s OK then.  We will leave it at that.

I have agreed with most of your posts ref Rovers over the last year or so but we differ in opinions on England.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on June 26, 2024, 12:58:12 pm by Donnybax »
The first player who needs dropping is not Trippier, Walker or Gallagher, it’s Kane. He’s dropping too deep therefore not leading the line properly, Alf Ramsey didn’t reinstate Jimmy Greaves when was fit, went with Geoff Hurst and we know how that ended. Greaves was twice, three times the player Hurst was, it’s all horses for courses etc
absolutely no way you drop Kane. He’s the best number 9 in the world. There’s also no issue with him dropping deep. He’s really good at it you just need runners beyond him which we don’t have in the 11 that’s been played so far.
We have to play foden as a 10 and have a winger who runs beyond him off the left. Look at the chances Kane created for Son by dropping deep at Spurs and for players like Rashford for England. You just need the right players around him.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #258 on June 26, 2024, 02:33:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
P45 for Gareth.

P45 for Gareth

These a facts

Re: Robson.

Surely you are old enough to remember:

The 1984 EC qualifying campaign

The first two group matches of WC 86

The 1988 EC group

The furore after we drew to Ireland in the first match of WC 90, after labouring to qualify, then being awful in the warm up games

We were dreadful in those spells. Turgid would be a compliment.

The slate is now wiped clean for Southgate. Like it or not, England have done the job required of them and now have the luck of the draw on their side. I wouldn't be surprised to see us make the final now.

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #259 on June 26, 2024, 07:36:07 pm by arkseyrover »
Dickos - FFS get real. Open your eyes and look at the garbage that is being forced on us in the name of football. How can you defend that God awful mess that Mr Boregate has created. 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #260 on June 26, 2024, 08:05:28 pm by dickos1 »
Dickos - FFS get real. Open your eyes and look at the garbage that is being forced on us in the name of football. How can you defend that God awful mess that Mr Boregate has created. 

What are u talking about?
Nothing I’ve said is wrong, have another read again and tell me what bit of what I’ve written is incorrect?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #261 on June 26, 2024, 08:42:26 pm by drfchound »
He doesn't even know what his best 11 is.

Well he thought he did as he played the same team twice.
But he won’t do now, those subs made us much better

We’ll see. I’ve defended Southgate so much to friends over the past few years but I’ve lost it with him now. I think he’ll pick the same side next time out as well.

We might have topped the group but it’s the easiest group in the competition and nobody else will top the group with as little as 5 points. I just watch this team and have zero idea what the plan is beyond stodgy build up and hoping for a moment of magic a some stage through one of the forwards. The sad thing is that it looks like the players have zero idea of what the plan is either.

Maybe not top the group with five points but Group E has been won with just four points.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #262 on June 27, 2024, 03:14:08 pm by Goole Rover »
I’ve just arrived home from an area where Wi-Fi was almost impossible so I’ve missed a number of the previous posts. I did get the opportunity to see snippets of the three England games.
If anyone thinks that Southgate has the best England players at his disposal for years they’re in cloud cuckoo land. The midfield half asleep for the first and second game. At the last game Bellingham (the greatest thing since Marquis) guilty of stray passes I could go on. It’s OK blaming Southgate but this squad is over rated. Anyway let’s see what Sunday brings then hopefully both camps will be eating humble pie.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on June 27, 2024, 04:33:31 pm by drfcsteve »
It isn’t overrated. Bellingham Real Madrid player of the season. Foden Premier League player of the season. Kane top scorer in Germany. These players have all achieved at club level. Put them with Southgate and that’s when they all look garbage.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #264 on June 27, 2024, 04:59:37 pm by ravenrover »
Nothing to do with all the foreign world class players they pay with at their respective clubs?
I can't comment on the tournament as we are currently in the Pyrenees and I haven't nor intended even at home, to watch one minute of it

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on June 27, 2024, 06:10:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Nothing to do with all the foreign world class players they pay with at their respective clubs?
I can't comment on the tournament as we are currently in the Pyrenees and I haven't nor intended even at home, to watch one minute of it

So the foreign ones are world class but the English players that play in those teams are overrated?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #266 on June 27, 2024, 06:49:57 pm by BobG »
No. The world class foreign players make it easier for  our worldies to look what they are. Cruyff and Eusebio would look pedestrian with some of those guys around them.

BobG

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #267 on June 27, 2024, 07:26:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
If you don't think Foden, Bellingham, Kane, Saka et al. aren't genuinely among the best in the world, then you aren't watching much football.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #268 on June 27, 2024, 07:35:33 pm by ravenrover »
You need to get out more, best in the world? There are squad  players at  the best clubs better. Kane may be an exception but why choose to go to Germany or was it that Spanish Italian clubs or PSG not interested? He went for trophies and what did he get?
Bellingham always going to look good with the players that RM have, but he's a luxury player. JMHO as someone who has watched football for 60 years but hey ho!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #269 on June 27, 2024, 07:55:23 pm by Copps is Magic »
You need to get out more, best in the world? There are squad  players at  the best clubs better. Kane may be an exception but why choose to go to Germany or was it that Spanish Italian clubs or PSG not interested? He went for trophies and what did he get?
Bellingham always going to look good with the players that RM have, but he's a luxury player. JMHO as someone who has watched football for 60 years but hey ho!

60 years and all you've learned is some daft old statements.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012