Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:57:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 12876 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #30 on June 08, 2024, 09:55:18 pm by dickos1 »
World cup we had an easy draw and should have done better, euros final so negative against italy we played in to their hands, as rovers fans we have seen the effects of bad managers over the last 3 years, i have realised its not if you win or lose its how you play the game, do you want a manager who’s mantra is if we do not concede we cannot lose or one who’s mantra is if we do not score we cannot win, thank god grants is the latter, why do so many managers get their uefa coaching a badges and play so dire tactics.

This argument is pathetic.
Oh we got to the World Cup semi because we had an easy draw, and then we were rubbish in the euros final.
No mention at all of how we got there

The facts are simple,
When he took over we’d been an embarrassment,
Not qualified out the World Cup at the group stage  and then Knocked out the euros by Iceland.
Since he’s been in charge we’ve reached a World Cup semi final, and a euros final,
The mentality of negativity towards the national team has always been there and to have it now is pathetic.
What we have currently is as good as we’ve ever had

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 09, 2024, 12:19:24 am by redarmi66 »
Englands most successful manager my arse. We have only ever had one successful manager. Sir Alf Ramsay. All the rest have been losers. Some have been better than others but in the last 58 years we have had NO winners when it matters.

What a weird scale. So by your logic McCann is no more successful than Schofield or McSheffrey given he’s not actually won anything?

Until he gets us promoted NO he isn't. What success has he had to achieve being called successful?

If Stones or Kane get injured we are done.

Every other player just about replaceable.

Really?? Foden Bellingham Rice Walker !!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 09, 2024, 02:55:32 am by Draytonian III »
His tournament record is the same as every other manager bar one. It’s complete failure. He’s a born loser who has wasted the best set of players we’ve ever had. And turned most of the nation off to international football in the process. It’s like watching Rovers under Schofield, part of me wants us to lose, just so we can finally get rid of this pathetic limp loser.

So who would you put in charge and why

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 09, 2024, 08:04:21 am by Reg of the Rovers »
His tournament record is the same as every other manager bar one. It’s complete failure. He’s a born loser who has wasted the best set of players we’ve ever had. And turned most of the nation off to international football in the process. It’s like watching Rovers under Schofield, part of me wants us to lose, just so we can finally get rid of this pathetic limp loser.

So who would you put in charge and why
My personal favourite would be Howe - young, English, able to show passion and decisiveness, but De Zerbi would also be good. But in reality I’d honestly rather have almost anyone else. he’s a failed Boro manager who can’t inspire fans and players, who can’t make big decisions, and who can’t win when it counts. He got the job by default and needs to go - in my opinion. We have the richest FA in the world but have ended up with a failed championship / under 21s manager. We should invest in quality to use this squad to its full potential. This is just my opinion, it’s not ‘pathetic’, I’m happy to accept others won’t agree with me, but in my opinion  he’s never been the right man for the job and will always choke when it counts as he’s a perennial loser.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 09, 2024, 08:29:59 am by dickos1 »
He’s transformed the national team from an embarrassment to getting to major tournament finals.
That’s all that matters

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 09, 2024, 08:45:38 am by Reg of the Rovers »
I’m not a naturally negative person, and I’m not being deliberately argumentative. My opinion is that with the unmatched resources of our FA and the strength of our squad for the last few years we have to be winning. We’re a joke of a footballing nation as we’re the big country (in footballing terms) that never wins. It’s like Man City being happy coming third in the Prem every year just because they used to be shite. If we’re not winning, we’re losing. And the lack of a trophy for men’s football needs to end.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 09, 2024, 09:02:38 am by ncRover »
Reg is right.

I’ve lost interest too dicko. You can’t say anyone is wrong for losing interest.

Southgate is never held to account by the FA or any media. Are standards being driven on and off the pitch?

Every time we’ve been knocked out he has been outwitted in the match.

Yes he’s done better than before but any decent manager would have done.

Not taking a fit left back is just mind-blowing.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 09, 2024, 10:44:12 am by EasyforDennis »
He’s transformed the national team from an embarrassment to getting to major tournament finals.
That’s all that matters

It seems to me that you are quite happy for us to beat the minnows but when it comes to the bigger teams in the finals we always seem to manage to choke it.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 09, 2024, 11:16:19 am by Colin C No.3 »
If we don’t win the Euro’s, even if we got to the final & lost, I’d replace him with Eddie Howe.

Howe is more tactically aware, he’s managed in the Premiership & he speaks well, never pulls any punches when his teams have underperformed & tells it how it is so the fans understand.

Southgate has had the best crop of players since the 90’s, time to perform.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 09, 2024, 11:49:07 am by Little Wolf »
That’s all that matters
A win any cost mentality, not for me, i will not sell my football soul for this borefest football that is being churned out, it is a spectator sport we need to entertain or destroy the game, he has gone on record as saying a team that defends the best wins tournaments, my thinking is the team that attacks the best wins the tournament and if we do worse than we have been doing i am quite happy, why do so many england fans not like Gareth when he record is so good, next manager, ask klopp if he is interested

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 09, 2024, 12:29:31 pm by GazLaz »
If people think Eddie Howe is the answer they are struggling with the question.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 09, 2024, 02:10:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
Trouble is, Gazlaz, if the FA’s wishes are for an English manager, then you’re fishing from a very small pond.

The U21’s guy seems to be doing ok. The other notable contender, for me, would be the Ipswich manager.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 09, 2024, 04:53:30 pm by graingrover »
Viewed from outside U.K. I feel that the hype the Premiership  gets by the media and in particular Sky gives a false impression and there is realatively little appreciation of the strength of other nations 

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 09, 2024, 05:27:51 pm by streathamdave »
Englands most successful manager my arse. We have only ever had one successful manager. Sir Alf Ramsay. All the rest have been losers. Some have been better than others but in the last 58 years we have had NO winners when it matters.
Factually he is exactly that. He has taken the England team further than any other manager other than Sir Alf Ramsey. Southgate has taken England to A Semi, A Final and Quarters. I wasn't in favour of him being appointed at the time so I understand the reservations, but facts don't stop being facts just because you don't like them. He is factually the most successful England manager other than Sir Alf.

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 09, 2024, 05:36:06 pm by streathamdave »
If Southgate goes after Euros then I just want a good experienced manager regardless of nationality and after giving it some thought I'd go for Jochim Low. For those that would like someone else other than Southgate, I'd love to know who you think would genuinely improve us. Some of you may or may not like my suggestion and I'm fine with that, but if he's going to be replaced at least have someone credible in mind.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 09, 2024, 05:59:41 pm by ncRover »
If Southgate goes after Euros then I just want a good experienced manager regardless of nationality and after giving it some thought I'd go for Jochim Low. For those that would like someone else other than Southgate, I'd love to know who you think would genuinely improve us. Some of you may or may not like my suggestion and I'm fine with that, but if he's going to be replaced at least have someone credible in mind.

Pochettino, Klopp, De Zerbi, Potter, Tuchel. To name just a few available managers.

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 09, 2024, 06:43:15 pm by streathamdave »
I'd be happy with Klopp being offered it.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 09, 2024, 07:04:52 pm by BobG »
They may all be available, but are they any better?? Klopp is the only one there that stands out. And he resigned cos he wants a long rest.

BobG

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 09, 2024, 07:47:48 pm by WarwickRover »
That’s all that matters

It seems to me that you are quite happy for us to beat the minnows but when it comes to the bigger teams in the finals we always seem to manage to choke it.

Hardly beat minnows Dennis to get to a few semi finals ........ however i agree he does not have the tactical flexibility in a game to make a difference .... or as you say 'choke it'

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 09, 2024, 08:00:20 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not a naturally negative person, and I’m not being deliberately argumentative. My opinion is that with the unmatched resources of our FA and the strength of our squad for the last few years we have to be winning. We’re a joke of a footballing nation as we’re the big country (in footballing terms) that never wins. It’s like Man City being happy coming third in the Prem every year just because they used to be shite. If we’re not winning, we’re losing. And the lack of a trophy for men’s football needs to end.

It’s nothing like Man City coming 4th, that’s absurd.
We’ve won absolutely nothing for almost 60 years, Man City win every year.
This manager has got us the closest within that last 60 years and is the first manager ever to get us to consecutive semi finals, one of them being the final.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 09, 2024, 08:04:55 pm by dickos1 »
Reg is right.

I’ve lost interest too dicko. You can’t say anyone is wrong for losing interest.

Southgate is never held to account by the FA or any media. Are standards being driven on and off the pitch?

Ah the old any other manager would’ve done it.
Fact is they didn’t,
We had the golden generation and got nowhere near a semi final never mind a final.

The nation will be out in force for all the games and the interest just gets bigger and bigger

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 09, 2024, 08:06:34 pm by dickos1 »
That’s all that matters

Beat the minnows don’t talk nonsense, u don’t get to a final by only beating the minnows.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 09, 2024, 08:08:12 pm by dickos1 »
That’s all that matters
A win any cost mentality, not for me, i will not sell my football soul for this borefest football that is being churned out, it is a spectator sport we need to entertain or destroy the game, he has gone on record as saying a team that defends the best wins tournaments, my thinking is the team that attacks the best wins the tournament and if we do worse than we have been doing i am quite happy, why do so many england fans not like Gareth when he record is so good, next manager, ask klopp if he is interested

Look how many goals we scored in the last 3 major tournaments. People keep going on about defensive performances obviously haven’t a clue what they’re talking about

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 09, 2024, 09:37:01 pm by grayx »
If people think Eddie Howe is the answer they are struggling with the question.
Really??
I think he’d be good.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on June 10, 2024, 11:56:43 pm by Red wizard »
International management and club management are very very different. Club managers get players they want and ate able to build a team over time. National managers get a few days at a time bar tournaments when they get longer. Managing England is a tough gig. Massive expectations and over the years players not good enough to deliver. Southgate had the under 21 job and then unexpectedly got the first team and since then we have gone further than any other manager has taken us. We are a good side and some top top players who play for him. We lack in certain positions and thrive in others. I fancy us to get the job done this year. A good win and performance on Sunday and all we be forgotten. Come on England

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 11, 2024, 02:27:25 am by Move DRFC »
Southgate has been great and it's been fun to watch England over the last few tournaments. Can't really complain can we - a penalty shootout away from winning the Euros and 2018 WC was epic, considering the crap in 2016.

Saying that though, I think this is last chance saloon for Gareth. Anything less than a final would be a total failure. Also some of his picks have me a bit concerned this time round. Fully behind them all now though - enjoy the ride

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 11, 2024, 06:45:07 am by ChrisBx »
Reg is right.

Do we have a fit left back?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 11, 2024, 07:25:49 am by GazLaz »
Reg is right.

Trippier has played there a lot even though he’s right footed. Shaw fit for the KO games I think.

Looks like TAA will start in midfield.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 11, 2024, 07:59:23 am by ncRover »
Reg is right.

Ah the old any other manager would’ve done it.
Fact is they didn’t,
We had the golden generation and got nowhere near a semi final never mind a final.

The nation will be out in force for all the games and the interest just gets bigger and bigger

Were they a golden generation if only 8 positions are filled by top players and the bench options are people like Darius Vassell? Or was it just media hype? Look at the Brazil team that knocked them out in 2002. We have a lot more quality and depth now.

The previous failure of managers gone by isn’t an excuse for Southgate. He’s been in the job for 8 years. This would have been an irrelevant era for Germany, Spain and Italy but we make documentaries and musicals about it.

Yes previous England teams underperformed and Southgate got rid of the negative atmosphere in the camp and the media pressure outside of it but there is still a loser mentality deep down.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 11, 2024, 08:04:35 am by NickDRFC »
Reg is right.

Trippier has played there a lot even though he’s right footed. Shaw fit for the KO games I think.

Looks like TAA will start in midfield.

Not sure about that call. Really like TAA and he’s looked good in the friendlies but that was from right back. He played in midfield for an hour in the first one but I thought he looked a bit lost. It’s a very different discipline actually playing as part of a midfield 3 than it is having the freedom to drift inside from right back.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012