Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 07:04:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 22966 times)

selby, NickDRFC, ROVERSBELLY, Alan Southstand and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #300 on June 29, 2024, 05:59:37 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Worry that he’ll swap Saka for Palmer which on the face of it seems logical. Palmer might have the guile we’re missing.

But unless he makes a few other changes in the forwards areas that move will mean not one player in the team wants to run behind the opposition. That’s our biggest problem already.

Foden, Bellingham, Kane, Palmer will just be in each others way all game.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on June 29, 2024, 06:01:10 pm by Goole Rover »
Oh come on guys, even pundits like Lineker who usually stays neutral are coming out and saying we’re playing shit. Whose fault do you think it is if not the manager?
I'm sure he didn't say that. Are you watching Italy v Switzerland ? Now there's a reason to have a go at the manager.   

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #302 on June 29, 2024, 06:04:34 pm by ncRover »
The biggest issue, in my humble opinion is the lack of an organiser and orchestrator. We have almost all of the component parts of a great team, but we just don’t seem to produce the kind of player who can pull it all together (a Kroos, Modric, Rodri etc). Someone to take the ball under pressure from the defence or Rice and dictate whether we need to speed up or slowdown.

Perhaps it’s because we coach them all to play at maximum speed in the EPL (Gallagher is the best example of this)?

I’d be tempted to give Wharton or Mainoo a proper go.

On man-management, and some of the earlier comments, it is bloody hard and I think Southgate is good at this. I’m not convinced by his tactical nous or coaching though. He should have built a coaching team around him to cover this, but seemingly hasn’t. I really do wonder what Steve Holland does (apart from pissing off Ben White).

Add Xhaka to that list of those who can dictate possession too.

This is exactly why the much demanded midfield of Bellingham-Rice-Foden wouldn’t work.

None of those players are deep lying orchestrators in midfield. And it would be defensively poor too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 07:54:51 pm by ncRover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #303 on June 29, 2024, 07:35:04 pm by dickos1 »
Oh come on guys, even pundits like Lineker who usually stays neutral are coming out and saying we’re playing shit. Whose fault do you think it is if not the manager?

Lineker et al were saying exactly the same after we drew 0-0 with Scotland in the last euros and exactly the same after we drew 0-0 with the USA in the World Cup.
Nothing new here!
Our group stage is always like this but we’ve kicked on in the last few tournaments the opposite of what we did under all the previous managers.
All the negative nonsense being posted now on here would’ve been posted 3 years ago probably by the same folk. And then we reached the final.
It’s crazy

Just let the tournament play out and support the team, every tournament we have people pissing and whining about performances and the manager, even when we’re doing well, it drives me mental

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on June 29, 2024, 09:08:55 pm by Campsall rover »

Lineker et al were saying exactly the same after we drew 0-0 with Scotland in the last euros and exactly the same after we drew 0-0 with the USA in the World Cup.
Nothing new here!
Our group stage is always like this but we’ve kicked on in the last few tournaments the opposite of what we did under all the previous managers.
All the negative nonsense being posted now on here would’ve been posted 3 years ago probably by the same folk. And then we reached the final.
It’s crazy

Just let the tournament play out and support the team, every tournament we have people pissing and whining about performances and the manager, even when we’re doing well, it drives me mental
No I wasn’t moaning in previous tournaments except after we lost to Italy in the final.
We should have gone for the jugular but as usual we sat back and let Italy back in.
I am moaning now because GS hasn’t learnt from the past. Tactically he seems to have gone backwards and doesn’t understand if you try to put round pegs into square holes they don’t fit.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on June 29, 2024, 09:17:46 pm by Goole Rover »

Nothing new here!
It’s crazy

No I wasn’t moaning in previous tournaments except after we lost to Italy in the final.
We should have gone for the jugular but as usual we sat back and let Italy back in.
I am moaning now because GS hasn’t learnt from the past. Tactically he seems to have gone backwards and doesn’t understand if you try to put round pegs into square holes they don’t fit.
A “should have” again.
Hindsight is a wonderful tool do try to be creative.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on June 29, 2024, 09:25:19 pm by drfchound »
We have several posters who come on the forum when Rovers have had a bad day and have a gripe, but don’t often post after we have won.
They seem to be happier when they get the chance to have a pop at the manager, the team, the owners etc.
I think that the same applies to some peoples attitude towards the England team.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on June 29, 2024, 09:45:54 pm by Little Wolf »
In grant i trust , he plays attractive attacking football, the players give 100%, gareth plays borefest football , even if we do well it is boring football, we need to find our football soul , if we lose fair enough but this totally boring football  i cannot watch, we might end wining the tournament but no body will be watching because we have all fell asleep

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on June 29, 2024, 10:01:36 pm by Campsall rover »
In grant i trust , he plays attractive attacking football, the players give 100%, gareth plays borefest football , even if we do well it is boring football, we need to find our football soul , if we lose fair enough but this totally boring football  i cannot watch, we might end wining the tournament but no body will be watching because we have all fell asleep
Don’t worry we won’t win it playing as we have.
There has to be a completely different mindset if we are to go on and win it.
Yes we are capable of winning it but will GS give these players the opportunity to do so.
He has to let them off their leash, play a balanced team and if that means leaving out a star player then so be it.
Ramsey left out Greaves, Thompson & Callaghan and 20 odd million football fans thought he was mad.
But he put the best 11 players to suit a way of playing.  We went on to win the World Cup and he said we would before we kicked a ball.
Now that’s what I call a manger. Someone with a real plan and someone who knew how to get his players to carry it out. Someone with real conviction.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on June 29, 2024, 10:09:52 pm by Campsall rover »

Nothing new here!
It’s crazy

A “should have” again.
Hindsight is a wonderful tool do try to be creative.
Oh so you think we shouldn’t have then. You don’t need hindsight to know we should have gone all out to score a second goal.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on June 29, 2024, 10:30:23 pm by scawsby steve »
Yes we are capable of winning it but will GS give these players the opportunity to do so.
He has to let them off their leash, play a balanced team and if that means leaving out a star player then so be it.
Ramsey left out Greaves, Thompson & Callaghan and 20 odd million football fans thought he was mad.
But he put the best 11 players to suit a way of playing.  We went on to win the World Cup and he said we would before we kicked a ball.
Now that’s what I call a manger. Someone with a real plan and someone who knew how to get his players to carry it out. Someone with real conviction.

Naughty naughty, Camps. Jimmy Greaves wasn't left out; he played in every group game and was injured in the third game against France.

Geoff Hurst was very lucky to get into the team, but he took his opportunity with aplombe.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on June 29, 2024, 10:37:42 pm by Campsall rover »

Naughty naughty, Camps. Jimmy Greaves wasn't left out; he played in every group game and was injured in the third game against France.

Geoff Hurst was very lucky to get into the team, but he took his opportunity with aplombe.
Yes you are correct SS but he left out the 2 wingers and played Ball and Peters instead.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #312 on June 29, 2024, 11:34:56 pm by dickos1 »

Nothing new here!
It’s crazy

After the Scotland game, this forum was full of people slagging Southgate off.
We then won the next two knock out games 2-0 and 4-0, and reached the final.
The folk who don’t like Southgate can’t bring themselves to say how well we did reaching our first ever euros final, would rather focussing on how we didn’t win the final.
Beggars belief really

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on June 30, 2024, 12:21:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Southgate would put eusobio at right back and cruyff at left back

Have a look at where Cruyff picked up the ball 30 seconds in to the 74 WC final to start the move that led to a penalty, 20 seconds later.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on June 30, 2024, 08:32:45 am by Campsall rover »

Nothing new here!
It’s crazy

The folk who don’t like Southgate can’t bring themselves to say how well we did reaching our first ever euros final, would rather focussing on how we didn’t win the final.
Beggars belief really
I wasn’t one of those who moaned after the Scotland game dickos. It is their Cup Final v England and we never have an easy game against them.
But yes I was not happy that we didn’t beat Italy in the Final. The game was there for the taking but no we blew it because we sat back and tried to defend a 1-0 lead. That’s simply asking for trouble.

If you’re happy with England being bridesmaids every tournament or just losing semi finalists or Qtr finalists then that’s your prerogative.
Most England fans want us to win something. It’s 58 years since we have. If you think that’s ok then again that’s your right of course.
But don’t criticise those of us that want and expect this current England squad to win the Euros and maybe the next World Cup also.
We would imo have won both of those 2 competitions in 2021 & 2022 with a better manager.

If we didn’t produce world class players in this country or only had 1 in the team then we wouldn’t have much chance would we but no we have consistently had 4/5/6 in the squad. We had at least 4/5/6 in the 2021/22 competitions. We also had them in 2002/04, 2006/08, 2010/12, 2014/16 & 2018
We have the best League in the world. We have our all our top players playing alongside many of the best players in the world from other countries.
But we had managers in Erickson, Capello, McClaren and now Southgate who have all been failures.
Yes Southgate has been the best coach, he has consistently brought players through the age group teams and turned them into quality full international players.
His problem is he is tactically naive in match situations. He is far too cautious or negative in his approach to games and set up of his team. He stifles the players and creates a fear factor in the team.

If you’re happy with 2nd best fine but I want us to be the best, play on the front foot with pace and flair.
I want to see us win both the Euros and the World Cup.
Don’t criticise those of us who want our Country to be WINNERS dickos.  It’s time we were. It’s shocking that it’s been 58 yrs. How many more years is it going to be?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #315 on June 30, 2024, 11:11:51 am by Colin C No.3 »
Southgate would put eusobio at right back and cruyff at left back

Have a look at where Cruyff picked up the ball 30 seconds in to the 74 WC final to start the move that led to a penalty, 20 seconds later.

He should have switched it over to Eusebio on the other side.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #316 on June 30, 2024, 01:06:10 pm by dickos1 »

Nothing new here!
It’s crazy

Beggars belief really
I wasn’t one of those who moaned after the Scotland game dickos. It is their Cup Final v England and we never have an easy game against them.
But yes I was not happy that we didn’t beat Italy in the Final. The game was there for the taking but no we blew it because we sat back and tried to defend a 1-0 lead. That’s simply asking for trouble.

If you’re happy with England being bridesmaids every tournament or just losing semi finalists or Qtr finalists then that’s your prerogative.
Most England fans want us to win something. It’s 58 years since we have. If you think that’s ok then again that’s your right of course.
But don’t criticise those of us that want and expect this current England squad to win the Euros and maybe the next World Cup also.
We would imo have won both of those 2 competitions in 2021 & 2022 with a better manager.

If we didn’t produce world class players in this country or only had 1 in the team then we wouldn’t have much chance would we but no we have consistently had 4/5/6 in the squad. We had at least 4/5/6 in the 2021/22 competitions. We also had them in 2002/04, 2006/08, 2010/12, 2014/16 & 2018
We have the best League in the world. We have our all our top players playing alongside many of the best players in the world from other countries.
But we had managers in Erickson, Capello, McClaren and now Southgate who have all been failures.
Yes Southgate has been the best coach, he has consistently brought players through the age group teams and turned them into quality full international players.
His problem is he is tactically naive in match situations. He is far too cautious or negative in his approach to games and set up of his team. He stifles the players and creates a fear factor in the team.

If you’re happy with 2nd best fine but I want us to be the best, play on the front foot with pace and flair.
I want to see us win both the Euros and the World Cup.
Don’t criticise those of us who want our Country to be WINNERS dickos.  It’s time we were. It’s shocking that it’s been 58 yrs. How many more years is it going to be?

Of course I’m not happy coming 2nd but I’m happy we have a national team that is competing with the top teams every tournament now.
This has never been the case in my lifetime,

I even heard some clown on the radio today saying even if we win it Southgate will be rated as the worst England manager of all time,
People just like moaning

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #317 on June 30, 2024, 04:07:50 pm by NickDRFC »
He doesn't even know what his best 11 is.

Well he thought he did as he played the same team twice.
But he won’t do now, those subs made us much better

We’ll see. I’ve defended Southgate so much to friends over the past few years but I’ve lost it with him now. I think he’ll pick the same side next time out as well.

We might have topped the group but it’s the easiest group in the competition and nobody else will top the group with as little as 5 points. I just watch this team and have zero idea what the plan is beyond stodgy build up and hoping for a moment of magic a some stage through one of the forwards. The sad thing is that it looks like the players have zero idea of what the plan is either.

Disappointing but not exactly surprising team selection for me - glad Mainoo’s in but that really shouldn’t the be only change. Clean slate each match though so hopefully this time the selection is actually justified.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on June 30, 2024, 04:17:54 pm by DonnyNoel »

We’ll see. I’ve defended Southgate so much to friends over the past few years but I’ve lost it with him now. I think he’ll pick the same side next time out as well.

We might have topped the group but it’s the easiest group in the competition and nobody else will top the group with as little as 5 points. I just watch this team and have zero idea what the plan is beyond stodgy build up and hoping for a moment of magic a some stage through one of the forwards. The sad thing is that it looks like the players have zero idea of what the plan is either.

Disappointing but not exactly surprising team selection for me - glad Mainoo’s in but that really shouldn’t the be only change. Clean slate each match though so hopefully this time the selection is actually justified.

Yeah I'd be a bit annoyed if I was Palmer to not have seen more minutes and then be expected to change a game with very little time left. Still think we're missing someone to run beyond Kane when he drops deep.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #319 on June 30, 2024, 04:40:59 pm by Campsall rover »
Where is the left side again though.

Without Shaw we have to play Gordon don’t we because Trippier isn’t gong to run beyond Foden on the outside.
We need someone who will don’t we.

Just don’t understand Southgate and his thinking at all.
If we are 2-0 up at H/T then fair enough.
If it’s 0-0 then he has to change it at H/T and bring on both Palmer and Gordon& not wait until the 70th min or longer.
If it means pulling off Foden or Bellingham then do it Gareth.

This is a game we have to win and we don’t want the lottery of penalties do we.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 04:43:02 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on June 30, 2024, 04:51:06 pm by Campsall rover »

Yeah I'd be a bit annoyed if I was Palmer to not have seen more minutes and then be expected to change a game with very little time left. Still think we're missing someone to run beyond Kane when he drops deep.
Bellingham should be doing that from his attacking midfield position.
Crikey even Biggins was capable of doing it for Rovers so why isn’t GS telling Bellingham to do it.
I will tell you why because GS is a safety 1st manager. No risks shall be taken. “Don’t you dare lads. They might break on us” I can hear his words now.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on June 30, 2024, 04:57:54 pm by grayx »
1 change is Southgate being brave. Yes its a good change, but fcuk me what does the likes of Palmer have to do to get in the starting line up? Fear its gonna be more of the same.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on June 30, 2024, 04:59:16 pm by DonnyNoel »

Bellingham should be doing that from his attacking midfield position.
Crikey even Biggins was capable of doing it for Rovers so why isn’t GS telling Bellingham to do it.
I will tell you why because GS is a safety 1st manager. No risks shall be taken. “Don’t you dare lads. They might break on us” I can hear his words now.

Not necessarily - one of the reasons for my post was that Sterling did it to great effect for England 2018 - 2021 as a copy of what worked for Son at Spurs. It may be a directive now, or it may be that Palmer/Saka/Foden can't do it. Perhaps this is where Gordon would come into his own.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on June 30, 2024, 05:29:37 pm by Campsall rover »
1-0 down and it could have been 4 in 1st 25 mins.

Job on now. See what GS does at H/T if we are still losing.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #324 on June 30, 2024, 05:40:21 pm by Filo »
Schofield ball at its finest

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #325 on June 30, 2024, 05:41:01 pm by EasyforDennis »
And we thought Italy were bad!!!

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #326 on June 30, 2024, 05:42:27 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »
This is more embarrassing than the 2016 Iceland defeat

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on June 30, 2024, 05:46:12 pm by goalkick »
Please take trippier off .

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on June 30, 2024, 05:51:39 pm by normal rules »
Taxi for Southgate.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #329 on June 30, 2024, 05:53:40 pm by Filo »
Please take trippier off .
One of us may as well stand there collect the ball and play it back, it’s criminal we haven’t gone to the Euros without a fit Left Back, may as well throw Shaw on for a half now, give us some penetration down the left

TinyPortal © 2005-2012