Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 09:15:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 17829 times)

Donny Dub and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #420 on June 30, 2024, 09:47:26 pm by Copps is Magic »
We were so so so lucky today and if we play the same tactics against Switzerland we simply will get hammered!

Happy to take that bet, any odds you want?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #421 on June 30, 2024, 10:01:03 pm by dickos1 »
The result is all that matters  :headbang: you get the basics right and the results follow , i have no idea how people are defending gs he has no idea

We’re in the quarter finals for the 4th tournament in a row. Never happened before
What a manager

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #422 on June 30, 2024, 10:03:57 pm by Little Wolf »
15,000 views, come on guys post your ideas, this guy has no idea we need a new manager with at least european top class experience not a manager who Got middlsborough relegated, why have we not asked for a manager who has managed a top flight european club,

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #423 on June 30, 2024, 10:18:44 pm by Colin C No.3 »
The result is all that matters  :headbang: you get the basics right and the results follow , i have no idea how people are defending gs he has no idea

We’re in the quarter finals for the 4th tournament in a row. Never happened before
What a manager

How high do you set your bar with this group of players, more importantly this manager?

We were seconds away from being dumped out of the competition by bloody Slovakia!

To keep on shouting ‘it's the result that matters’ merely shows you to be a sheep following the herd.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 10:30:39 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #424 on June 30, 2024, 10:29:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
Spain have a plan, they have a good manager, a progressive team and it’s just a matter of time. Can’t see anyone looking forward to playing them - fortunately, we’ll not be meeting them.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #425 on June 30, 2024, 10:31:52 pm by Thorney »
Gaizka Mendieta who has played with and under southgate on itv has summed it up, said that southgate is a defensive minded person and will always look to not concede first and will not get the best out of the attacking talent england have, and then said that southgate would not change.

England have some of the best attacking players in the world right now. But also have one of the most defensive minded manager inbthe world. Good luck to him this tournemant but he has to be removed after.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #426 on June 30, 2024, 10:32:29 pm by Draytonian III »
So as I’ve said before, who replaces Gareth Southgate ? Who happens to be the 2nd most successful manager in England’s history.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #427 on June 30, 2024, 10:35:26 pm by Red wizard »
But yet we are in the quarter finals again. Say what you want but he bees the most successful England manager since sir alf Ramsey. Have we played well this euros? In parts yes we have shown whats in the team. However for me we have shown what we are and that's a new squad of players not yet working as a well oiled machine. Can you blame the manager for that? Simply put yes imo. Why on earth after doing so well in the last few tournaments did he decide to bring 12 new players. That's almost half the squad. How would a club side play with 12 new additions in the first few games? Now some was forced but he's made some massive errors with his selection for this competition. Poor management imo. He's failed in a lot of things imo but the facts are under his stewardship we have reached another q finals. Tonight was poor for the most part against a side who grafted and defend the whole 2nd half and made it very difficult for us to break them down. Let's hope we improve for the next game and put on a show to restore some faith among fans.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #428 on June 30, 2024, 10:38:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
Kane should have scored his header, Rice hit the post, Foden with a disallowed goal by cm's, Bellingham scores a worldy. Not to mention the defence - who looked like conceding .... exactly only once (and did).

It was a dominant performance from England. 1st or last minute, class comes through in the end. Very confident for the quarter.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #429 on June 30, 2024, 10:54:17 pm by Goole Rover »
Gaizka Mendieta who has played with and under southgate on itv has summed it up, said that southgate is a defensive minded person and will always look to not concede first and will not get the best out of the attacking talent england have, and then said that southgate would not change.

England have some of the best attacking players in the world right now. But also have one of the most defensive minded manager inbthe world. Good luck to him this tournemant but he has to be removed after.
Best attacking players in the world ? If you're a Thorney you've been spending too much time talking to The Chaff King. 

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #430 on June 30, 2024, 10:59:12 pm by Thorney »
Kane should have scored his header, Rice hit the post, Foden with a disallowed goal by cm's, Bellingham scores a worldy. Not to mention the defence - who looked like conceding .... exactly only once (and did).

It was a dominant performance from England. 1st or last minute, class comes through in the end. Very confident for the quarter.

Dominante was spain tonight. Not England who after 93mins was 1-0 down. I really can only think you are fishing for bites and are getting them.

Yes England are in the QF. But look at the results

1-0 win over serbia (ranked 32 in the world)
1-1 with denmark (ranked 21)
0-0 v slovenia (ranked 57)

A 2-1 win in extra time after equalising in the 94th minute with their 1st shot on target against Slovakia (ranked 45)

Surely the quarter finals should be a must with playing these sort of teams. England have been blessed with a very kind draw.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #431 on June 30, 2024, 11:04:47 pm by Thorney »

Best attacking players in the world ? If you're a Thorney you've been spending too much time talking to The Chaff King.

So you dont think that in players like bellingham, foden, kane that England have some of the best attaviing players?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #432 on June 30, 2024, 11:08:28 pm by dickos1 »

What a manager

How high do you set your bar with this group of players, more importantly this manager?

We were seconds away from being dumped out of the competition by bloody Slovakia!

To keep on shouting ‘it's the result that matters’ merely shows you to be a sheep following the herd.

Not really
Of course the result is all that matters
Italia 90 we were shite in most games but reached the semis, Euro 96 we were shite in most games but we reached the semis.
These two tournaments are looked back with rose tinted specs.
Southgate has got us doing far better than any other manager in major tournaments and however much people like you don’t like it, it’s a fact

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #433 on June 30, 2024, 11:09:57 pm by dickos1 »
How anyone can defend that performance or any performance in this competition I have absolutely no idea.

You can literally see the frustration and confusion in the players faces. They have no idea what it is they are supposed to be doing the majority of the time because they are being asked to do the complete opposite to any manager in the world it appears.

Everyone has been saying Southgate needs to make changes to his tactics, formations, starting XI's all tournament and they only position he has changed is the one defensive midfielder.

We're poor defensively and have a plethora of attacking talent in the squad but yet Southgate continues with this slow, passive, poor passing tactic that every opposition manager knows now and exploits.

We were so so so lucky today and if we play the same tactics against Switzerland we simply will get hammered!

Well we aren’t poor defensively I’m afraid. That’s pretty obvious

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #434 on June 30, 2024, 11:35:11 pm by Bills view »
Our players look lethargic and while we keep saying we have great attacking talent we're not creating much. They all want to pick up the ball in front of Kane, take a touch and lay it back. Foden is left footed but his first instinct is to cut inside off the left wing.

We need dynamism and players running beyond Kane. He needs to drop Foden for me. Spain are the benchmark.

Funnily enough I saw Trippier further forward in more dangerous positions than Foden. But another cutting back inside.

Toney made a difference and maybe he can play alongside Kane. The change in tactics made us less predictable.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #435 on June 30, 2024, 11:54:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

We decided in Spring 1990 that we had to get rid of Bobby Robson after the World Cup.

We replaced him with Graham Taylor...

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #436 on July 01, 2024, 07:05:24 am by sf9944 »
Indeed.  Be careful what you wish for.....

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #437 on July 01, 2024, 07:11:00 am by Filo »
Guehi, is suspended for the next match, there is a choice between Dunk, Konsa, or Gomez to come in, for me it should be Konsa

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #438 on July 01, 2024, 07:40:07 am by NickDRFC »
Lucky Lucky Lucky, poor football for that level!

What does that mean Kato?

Far better in any quantifiable or qualifiable metrics and won in a knock out competition. All ears here.

Not that I think it really matters, but I’ve seen 2 xG comparisons that both have Slovakia as higher. Which goes along with what I saw.

I thought we looked much more shaky defensively last night. Some loose passes and they got in behind us a few times before the goal - we didn’t look right defensively at all in the first half.

We improved second half as the centre halves actually started looking to play forward passes and even move forward with the ball themselves, as did Rice. But we still failed to create much and although the equaliser was brilliant, it was one of those that a lot of the time wouldn’t come off. Delighted that we pushed forward for the winner (and got it) so quickly, but very disappointed that after that we just put 9 or even 10 men behind the ball and invited the pressure back on. A better team would have punished us for that. I guess that’s Southgate’s way, though, and we’ll continue to limp on until we come a cropper against the first top side that we play. I still have zero optimism for improvements going forward.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #439 on July 01, 2024, 07:51:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We don't seem to have the desire or patience to play pass and move possession football. We're scared of playing sustained periods of 'one touch pass' as usually it'll end up with someone hoofing it, or playing a blind pass.

As others have said, we're clunky and clumsy with rare raids into the oppositions box. The quality of our crossing and set pieces are terrible for international standard matches.

The second half of extra time was awful bearing in mind, I bet 99% of all footy fans were shouting to keep the ball, and we just kept gifting it back. I swear Gareths team talk at the ET break went summat like "Right boys, stay in shape, let them have the ball and hope the f*ck they don’t score'"

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #440 on July 01, 2024, 08:25:29 am by steve@dcfd »
We haven’t played well the balance of the side especially on the left is not good. But if we have some the best attacking players in the world which is hype really why haven’t they shown it.
Foden every body is clamouring for as been poor yet Musiala who has played left of a front three and he doesn’t for Bayern as looked far better, he also doesn’t score enough goals at international level. He should have last night and made a basic error of getting in front of the ball. Saka whose second behind Harry for number of goals scored as hardly beat a man his crossing has been poor. He’s not had a shot on goal or create an assist. Harry should have scored his movement has been ponderous at best but he’s scored two out of our 4 goals. Bellingham not been in games in an attacking sense but has scored two goals. In their club sides they look good over hyped but good. International level they do not this could be down to the manager and the way we play but they should be able to rise above that if they are world class players.
Before we play Switzerland the left side of the team needs to be sorted from left back to attack priority for me. We have missed Grealish and Rashford and Shaw. Trippier always passes back and due to that hat got Guehi booked last night who has been England best player and assisted in Jude’s goal.
Southgate is not an expansive manager but the players should be able to perform better. This squad is not as good performance wise as we were in the last Euros the manager is the same.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #441 on July 01, 2024, 09:30:49 am by Copps is Magic »

Far better in any quantifiable or qualifiable metrics and won in a knock out competition. All ears here.

Not that I think it really matters, but I’ve seen 2 xG comparisons that both have Slovakia as higher. Which goes along with what I saw.

I don't think anyone seriously expected Slovakia to get another goal.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #442 on July 01, 2024, 09:51:33 am by ChrisBx »
Take the win and move on (again).

Everyone can see that performances haven't been where we all wanted and expected, but we're in the quarter finals and have another opportunity to improve.

We'll be without Guehi so I hope Konsa comes in and has a good game. He's another very good option. Don't be surprised to see Bellingham suspended which may result in Gordon coming in with Foden moving to a more central position.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #443 on July 01, 2024, 10:01:33 am by NickDRFC »

I don't think anyone seriously expected Slovakia to get another goal.

So xG isn’t a “quantifiable or qualifiable metric”, but your gut feeling that Slovakia wouldn’t score again is?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #444 on July 01, 2024, 10:06:33 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We can argue Spain are much better technically than we are, but the main difference is when their wide players, Williams and the 16 year old, get the ball, they run at the opposition and want to beat them. Their other players get in support of them, ready for the one-twos etc. Dangerous balls into the box etc and it's done at pace.

Plus, our centre half's have to bring the ball out with purpose while our midfield find space instead of hiding, making token gestures to receive the ball. Mainoo kept getting deeper and deeper and ends up doing what a centre half should be doing.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #445 on July 01, 2024, 10:11:56 am by selby »
  Switzerland have a big question to ask themselves, they have done well taking teams on pressing high, we have looked poor against the low press ten men between the gaol and the ball as much as possible.
 So what game do they play, do they go head to head and try and football us off the field, or do they like the teams we have played up to press disrupt play, use the tactical foul in mid field, go man for man on Bellingham and Rice, or play their high tempo game.
 Granit  Xhaka  is a great player if not ruffled, and could be a target for to be got at with bookings or even sent off as we have seen when he played here at Arsenal, especially in big tight games.
  They have won games playing well, we have won games not playing that well, a good habit to have, and we can improve a lot, while we might have seen the best of some of the other sides, its intriguing.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #446 on July 01, 2024, 10:19:42 am by IDM »
We were shaky defensively before they scored.

We were so slow and ponderous going forward.  How many times did Trippier receive the ball on the left, and instead of playing a quick pass on to Foden or Bellingham (passes which were often “on”), he would take a touch back inside, pause, and then the moment had gone.  Therefore going back or across.  He wasn’t the only one, Walker was just as bad in more advanced positions.

Why isn’t the tempo better?  Why aren’t they making those quick instinctive and incisive passes?  OK sometimes they might go wrong and come to nowt, but when they do it’s likely we create a good chance to score.

Is it a lack of togetherness, a lack of confidence? Or manager’s instructions.

It is so frustrating to watch the lack of ambition on the pitch.

I don’t doubt the players and manager want to win, and there’s passion out there, but going up a gear is essential.

We might get lucky and win by playing like this, but can anyone see us beating France or Spain?

Yes Kane could have score earlier, Rice was unlucky but Foden was offside by his whole body width, not just by centimetres.  It was obvious in real time live play and I can’t understand why it wasn’t immediately flagged.

I’m delighted we won, but let’s be honest we are scraping through. 

When we did have a go, run at players into the box, we won corners, attacking throw ins, or if we lost the ball we soon won it back.  Much better that way than pass pass pass going nowhere around halfway?

At whatever stage we lose and go out, I hope it’s in a game where we give it a real go.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 10:30:57 am by IDM »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #447 on July 01, 2024, 10:27:08 am by Colin C No.3 »

What a manager

Shouldn’t that read ‘What! A manager?!’.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #448 on July 01, 2024, 10:45:30 am by Michael Shaw »
Did some posters not notice WE WON THE DAMN GAME. I don't care how we did it, we still ground out a win. Anyone would think the team are on the plane back already. Gareth and the team have not yet let us down and how can we expect to go? Win the tournament only and anything else they are all shite?? What a bunch of fckng whingers football fans are. At least moan AFTER we go out.

You’re missing the point. We very nearly were out, if it wasn’t for an overhead kick from our man from Real Madrid in the last minute of stoppage time.

It shouldn’t be this difficult. Maybe if we were grinding out results against the best in the world, but we’re struggling to beat teams ranked much lower than we are.

It doesn’t have to be like this. The reason it is like this is because of the manager.

I'm not missing any point. Maybe it wasn't our best performance, but who was happier after the game? Slovakia who played better football and lost or England who were below par and won? Give me the win any day. Switzerland have played well to get to the next stage, but as long as we win (even if it is only from a penalty) I will be happy. People do enjoy a good moan. Southgate has still got us in the tournament when most teams have gone home. I don't see 400+ posts to get rid of McCann because he failed to get us out of league two and we sit in the basement league for yet another season. But I don't endorse getting rid of either manager.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #449 on July 01, 2024, 10:58:29 am by drfcsteve »
You’d be first in the queue to moan if McCann had us playing like England and struggling to beat teams ranked 40 places below us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012