Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 12:39:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 19461 times)

Move DRFC and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #450 on July 01, 2024, 11:29:29 am by Michael Shaw »
You’d be first in the queue to moan if McCann had us playing like England and struggling to beat teams ranked 40 places below us.

What a stupid statement!!. If I was the first to moan, I would want Grant to go and I have never said that, nor about Gareth.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #451 on July 01, 2024, 11:34:18 am by Lesonthewest »
Not about moaning, yes & great we have very very luckily progressed, but it's having opinions on what you have witnessed, & me personally I have watched my national team play absolutely dire football for 4 games in this competition, we have gone backwards performance wise massively under this guy since the last 2 tournaments. Nobody will convince me any different.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 12:27:01 pm by Lesonthewest »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #452 on July 01, 2024, 12:02:45 pm by Filo »
We saw Southgates mentality when we took the lead in extra time, sat back and give them the initiative again instead of finishing them off, we saw the same mentality in the Euro Final and lost

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #453 on July 01, 2024, 12:33:16 pm by Lesonthewest »
We have progressed in spite of him, not because of him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #454 on July 01, 2024, 12:37:36 pm by MachoMadness »
We saw Southgates mentality when we took the lead in extra time, sat back and give them the initiative again instead of finishing them off, we saw the same mentality in the Euro Final and lost
Yep. Southgate deserves a lot of credit for turning round the culture around the team and he generally seems to have the players wanting to play for England again (apart from Ben White apparently). But he seems very rigid in his thinking and this will cost us against better teams. Especially on these unpredictable pitches where defenders can be wrong-footed by a bobble.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #455 on July 01, 2024, 12:58:12 pm by adamtherover »
We have progressed in spite of him, not because of him.
this is about as close to the truth as is possible!!!!!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #456 on July 01, 2024, 01:13:51 pm by Campsall rover »
We have progressed to the Qtr Finals in spite of Southgate not because of him.
No one is going to convince me otherwise.
He is tactically inept
Never pro active, most of the time he isn’t even re active.
We got lucky last night due to a moment of magic from Bellingham.

To not make a tactical substitution until the 83rd min was absolutely astounding.
The 1st sub after 63 mins was only because Tripper was injured.

I just don’t get it.
What is he going to do in the next match.
Will he change anything?
Not holding my breath that’s for sure.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 01:16:01 pm by Campsall rover »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #457 on July 01, 2024, 01:48:22 pm by Pancho Regan »
Spain have a plan, they have a good manager, a progressive team and it’s just a matter of time. Can’t see anyone looking forward to playing them - fortunately, we’ll not be meeting them.

Spain have been very impressive but they are not invincible.

Scotland beat them 2-0 in the qualifying group.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #458 on July 01, 2024, 01:49:19 pm by MachoMadness »
The thing is he's not going to change. The bods at the FA decided the best way to win in tournament football is to focus on set pieces, keep it tight defensively, and try to create high quality chances, rather than loads of low quality ones. Southgate's profile fits that. The hesitancy to play it forward is a feature, not a bug. He'd rather create one big chance that we have an 80% chance of scoring than 5-6 lower quality chances that have a 20-30% chance of going in each.

The problem is I think teams have now worked out that it's relatively easy to get us to drop deep and put us under real pressure with a decently-organised press and Southgate hasn't adapted his approach.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #459 on July 01, 2024, 02:00:32 pm by ncRover »
Take the win and move on (again).

Everyone can see that performances haven't been where we all wanted and expected, but we're in the quarter finals and have another opportunity to improve.

We'll be without Guehi so I hope Konsa comes in and has a good game. He's another very good option. Don't be surprised to see Bellingham suspended which may result in Gordon coming in with Foden moving to a more central position.

Apart from his goal I thought Bellingham was poor and I didn’t like his attitude in his interview. Both him and Foden are good players but playing them at the same time is killing us.

Walker was shocking in both attack and defence. If the right winger is going to cut inside on his left foot you need a full back who can actually cross on his right foot.

Our best spell in the game was when we went 2 up top and more direct with Ivan Toney on the pitch. He’s great.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #460 on July 01, 2024, 02:05:51 pm by dickos1 »
You’d be first in the queue to moan if McCann had us playing like England and struggling to beat teams ranked 40 places below us.

FIFA ranking mean naff all. Austria, Georgia, Italy tell you that

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #461 on July 01, 2024, 02:21:08 pm by dickos1 »
He is tactically inept

To not make a tactical substitution until the 83rd min was absolutely astounding.

I just don’t get it.
Will he change anything?

I said if we win it people will be saying shite like this, even if we win it people will have the audacity to say it’s inspite of Southgate.

Once again he’s got us to a quarters,

Never been done before, 4 tournaments in a row!

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #462 on July 01, 2024, 02:34:44 pm by sf9944 »

Everyone can see that performances haven't been where we all wanted and expected, but we're in the quarter finals and have another opportunity to improv

What was it about his attitude in his interview that you didn't like?  Not being funny, just interested.

We'll be without Guehi so I hope Konsa comes in and has a good game. He's another very good option. Don't be surprised to see Bellingham suspended which may result in Gordon coming in with Foden moving to a more central position.

Apart from his goal I thought Bellingham was poor and I didn’t like his attitude in his interview. Both him and Foden are good players but playing them at the same time is killing us.

Walker was shocking in both attack and defence. If the right winger is going to cut inside on his left foot you need a full back who can actually cross on his right foot.

Our best spell in the game was when we went 2 up top and more direct with Ivan Toney on the pitch. He’s great.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #463 on July 01, 2024, 02:38:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's a thought.

Watching Williams and Yamal improvise for Spain last night and take on defenders at will, maybe Foden isn't as big an individual talent as we tell ourselves.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #464 on July 01, 2024, 02:52:53 pm by dickos1 »
Of course he is,
We see it week in week out

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #465 on July 01, 2024, 02:59:42 pm by sf9944 »
Respectfully ncRover, what was it about Jude Bellinghams attitude in his interview didn't you like? 

Just interested, as I thought he was spot on.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #466 on July 01, 2024, 03:30:06 pm by GazLaz »
Here's a thought.

Watching Williams and Yamal improvise for Spain last night and take on defenders at will, maybe Foden isn't as big an individual talent as we tell ourselves.

Put Foden in the Spain team and would he look better?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #467 on July 01, 2024, 03:38:54 pm by pib »
The left side seems to me to be a massive issue.

Foden isn't really a wide player/winger. OK he can 'start' there and drift inside to pick up the ball, but that leaves just Trippier out there for width, which just multiplies the issue because he's got very little pace and isn't left-footed, so inevitably when he gets on the ball and Foden isn't there as an option, he has little else to offer other than a short pass inside or back. So the left side is pretty much dead in terms of creating anything.

It also doesn't help Foden that the movement in the England team is just not there like it is with Man City. England are pretty static and rigid which doesn't suit Foden's game of exchanging quick passes with other technical players who are good at finding space to do so.

The balance of the side is all wrong. I sympathise with Southgate in that he's had injuries in certain areas in that regard, but the guy spends every weekend of the season driving up and down the country to watch players, and he's had numerous warm-up games to find solutions. The fact that we're in the knockout stages of the tournament and are still looking for answers is a worry.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #468 on July 01, 2024, 03:42:11 pm by ncRover »
Respectfully ncRover, what was it about Jude Bellinghams attitude in his interview didn't you like? 

Just interested, as I thought he was spot on.

It does seem one that different people interpreted in different ways.

It’s the talk about “throwing it back at people” who have been critical of the team with no acknowledgement that they still weren’t good enough themselves, despite winning. It’s either tone deaf or a “sit down shut up” attitude.

People have every right to have an opinion and be critical after the last 4 performances. Especially those who have travelled at great expense.

Every interview coming out of the camp feels like a denial of reality.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 03:47:29 pm by ncRover »

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #469 on July 01, 2024, 04:11:28 pm by sf9944 »
Ok fair do’s. Thanks for replying. As you say it’s all about opinions

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #470 on July 01, 2024, 04:57:30 pm by tyke1962 »

Everyone can see that performances haven't been where we all wanted and expected, but we're in the quarter finals and have another opportunity to improve.

Didn't much care for his attitude either in that interview and now I understand he's in a spot of bother regarding his goal celebration .

I would imagine the players are aware of the rules regarding these things pre tournament .

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #471 on July 01, 2024, 05:11:42 pm by grayx »
He is tactically inept

I just don’t get it.
Will he change anything?

Absolutely spot on.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #472 on July 01, 2024, 05:18:36 pm by drfchound »
Someone mentioned to me today that Southgate has a better win percentage than any previous England manager.
I haven’t checked that out, perhaps someone on here will know if it is right.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #473 on July 01, 2024, 05:23:56 pm by NickDRFC »
Someone mentioned to me today that Southgate has a better win percentage than any previous England manager.

They must have ignored Big Sam. Funnily enough that 100% record was against Slovakia.

Edit - pretty sure Capello also had a higher win percentage as well, as unlikely as it sounds.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 05:27:38 pm by NickDRFC »

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #474 on July 01, 2024, 05:39:01 pm by redwine »
He is tactically inept

I just don’t get it.
Will he change anything?

I said if we win it people will be saying shite like this, even if we win it people will have the audacity to say it’s inspite of Southgate.

Once again he’s got us to a quarters,

Never been done before, 4 tournaments in a row!

So, we are the PNE of the international football world.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #475 on July 01, 2024, 05:45:24 pm by DRFC_AjA »
I have been one of his most vocal proponents, and also been banging on about how the performance doesn't matter just the result. But yesterday showed he's clueless. 2 subs in 90 mins. Toney on in 93. 4231 etched on his brain. However if cluelesness keeps getting us through then woohoo all aboard the clueless express

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #476 on July 01, 2024, 06:10:12 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I have been one of his most vocal proponents, and also been banging on about how the performance doesn't matter just the result. But yesterday showed he's clueless. 2 subs in 90 mins. Toney on in 93. 4231 etched on his brain. However if cluelesness keeps getting us through then woohoo all aboard the clueless express

I think it's more of a clueless sleeper.

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #477 on July 01, 2024, 07:00:13 pm by arkseyrover »
Yes Dicko what a manager. Won nothing and bored the ars*s off everyone but you.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #478 on July 01, 2024, 07:11:51 pm by drfchound »

They must have ignored Big Sam. Funnily enough that 100% record was against Slovakia.

Edit - pretty sure Capello also had a higher win percentage as well, as unlikely as it sounds.

Yeah, I looked it up as well.
Of the managers who have managed more than ten games Capello has the best win percentage (66.7% win percentage from 42 matches).
Southgate is second with 61.9% win percentage from 84 games.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #479 on July 01, 2024, 08:38:43 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Here's a thought.

Put Foden in the Spain team and would he look better?

100% he would. He wouldn’t be stuck out on the left for a start. He’d play as a number 8 like Ruiz is playing and would touch the ball more times in 20min than he does in a game for England.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012