Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 12:40:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 19462 times)

Move DRFC and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #480 on July 01, 2024, 08:44:56 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Respectfully ncRover, what was it about Jude Bellinghams attitude in his interview didn't you like? 

Just interested, as I thought he was spot on.

It does seem one that different people interpreted in different ways.

It’s the talk about “throwing it back at people” who have been critical of the team with no acknowledgement that they still weren’t good enough themselves, despite winning. It’s either tone deaf or a “sit down shut up” attitude.

People have every right to have an opinion and be critical after the last 4 performances. Especially those who have travelled at great expense.

Every interview coming out of the camp feels like a denial of reality.

This is true. Of course some criticism if your looking online is going to be way over the top. But of the criticism in the “normal” discourse it’s all justified. To act as if it’s somehow unfathomable is just living in a different reality.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #481 on July 01, 2024, 08:47:37 pm by steve@dcfd »
Here's a thought.

Watching Williams and Yamal improvise for Spain last night and take on defenders at will, maybe Foden isn't as big an individual talent as we tell ourselves.

Put Foden in the Spain team and would he look better?

100% he would. He wouldn’t be stuck out on the left for a start. He’d play as a number 8 like Ruiz is playing and would touch the ball more times in 20min than he does in a game for England.
He wouldn’t get in the Spain or Portugal sides he is overrated at international level

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #482 on July 01, 2024, 08:48:58 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The left side seems to me to be a massive issue.

Foden isn't really a wide player/winger. OK he can 'start' there and drift inside to pick up the ball, but that leaves just Trippier out there for width, which just multiplies the issue because he's got very little pace and isn't left-footed, so inevitably when he gets on the ball and Foden isn't there as an option, he has little else to offer other than a short pass inside or back. So the left side is pretty much dead in terms of creating anything.

It also doesn't help Foden that the movement in the England team is just not there like it is with Man City. England are pretty static and rigid which doesn't suit Foden's game of exchanging quick passes with other technical players who are good at finding space to do so.

The balance of the side is all wrong. I sympathise with Southgate in that he's had injuries in certain areas in that regard, but the guy spends every weekend of the season driving up and down the country to watch players, and he's had numerous warm-up games to find solutions. The fact that we're in the knockout stages of the tournament and are still looking for answers is a worry.

We don’t keep the ball long enough to let him drift inside.

Imo if the left back is going to be right footed the winger on that side needs to stay wide and offer the balance to the team. Saka should play there and stay high and wide.

Then Foden either plays off the right where it’s more natural for a him to come inside or Palmer plays there and Foden goes infield alongside Bellingham. Will never happen but I’d love us to try it.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #483 on July 01, 2024, 08:53:22 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Here's a thought.

Watching Williams and Yamal improvise for Spain last night and take on defenders at will, maybe Foden isn't as big an individual talent as we tell ourselves.

100% he would. He wouldn’t be stuck out on the left for a start. He’d play as a number 8 like Ruiz is playing and would touch the ball more times in 20min than he does in a game for England.
He wouldn’t get in the Spain or Portugal sides he is overrated at international level

If you’re rated by City then you are good enough at any level. He’s better than Bruno Fernandes and Ruiz.

City could sign almost anyone in any position if they wanted to. The reason anyone who starts regularly for them does is because they are world class.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #484 on July 01, 2024, 08:56:25 pm by Lesonthewest »
Williams for Spain is by far a better player than Foden.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #485 on July 01, 2024, 09:04:16 pm by ChrisBx »
Here's a thought.

Complete rubbish.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #486 on July 01, 2024, 09:06:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
Here's a thought.

If you’re rated by City then you are good enough at any level. He’s better than Bruno Fernandes and Ruiz.

City could sign almost anyone in any position if they wanted to. The reason anyone who starts regularly for them does is because they are world class.

Not at international level is what I said not City

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #487 on July 01, 2024, 09:08:46 pm by GazLaz »
Here's a thought.

He wouldn’t. He doesn’t even play as an 8 for City.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #488 on July 01, 2024, 09:10:54 pm by GazLaz »
This Man City team are the best football team in the world. One of the best of all time. He was just about their best player last season. He’s obviously a serious player.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #489 on July 01, 2024, 09:11:57 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
He’d play centrally for them that’s for sure. Not as a winger

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #490 on July 01, 2024, 09:13:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
This Man City team are the best football team in the world. One of the best of all time. He was just about their best player last season. He’s obviously a serious player.
Did they get to the Champions league semi final I didn’t think so.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #491 on July 01, 2024, 09:15:06 pm by GazLaz »

What’s that got to do with anything?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #492 on July 01, 2024, 09:19:20 pm by steve@dcfd »

What’s that got to do with anything?
Gaz he’s ok in the overrated premier league as of yet he not done it at international level. He’s not been playing as winger even in this competition he’s been inside and like the others lacked quality. He has three games to show what he’s about hopefully let’s not forget all he had to do last night was stay behind the ball and he would have scored a goal.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #493 on July 01, 2024, 09:20:49 pm by dickos1 »
Yes Dicko what a manager. Won nothing and bored the ars*s off everyone but you.

If you’re bored beating the Germans in a knock out game or thumping Ukraine 4-0 in a quarter final,
If you’re bored being the amongst the top scorers in each of the last tournaments then you need to take up another hobby

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #494 on July 01, 2024, 09:23:42 pm by dickos1 »
Honestly some of the opinions on here regarding Foden are astounding.
We just love to put our own players down it must be a trait that the English have.
Happened for years

Anyone who doesn’t think Foden is a world class player is off his rocker

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #495 on July 01, 2024, 09:33:42 pm by Donnybax »
Foden is a brilliant player but he’s not a left winger. You lose nearly all of his attributes playing him there. He needs to play as a 10 or wide right.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #496 on July 01, 2024, 09:58:53 pm by dickos1 »
Portugal just drawn with Slovenia 0-0, with a very similar performance to the one against England last week.
Shearer et al are all waxing lyrical about how good Slovenia defended, whereas last week when we drew Slovenia didn’t get a mention, it was all about how bad we were.
That tells you everything about the media

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #497 on July 01, 2024, 10:05:01 pm by Campsall rover »
We just love to put our own players down it must be a trait that the English have.
Happened for years

The point being made dickos is he hasn’t showed world class form on the international stage as yet.

Oh didn’t know we had beaten Germany and beaten Ukraine 4-0 in this tournament.
Everyone is talking about the last 4 games not previous tournaments dickos. We have been undeniably shocking in all 4 games in this one irrelevant of the final score in each game.
You can’t possibly deny that.

I think Southgate is great with the players and is a good man manager and has the respect of the players.
I think most of us would agree with that.

What most of us are saying is he plays people out of position, is tactically naive, is not pro active in a match situation, is far too cautious and is inflexible.

If you think he is the best manager we have ever had because we have reached 4 consecutive Qtr finals well that’s your prerogative. The fact is we haven’t done it with any conviction in this tournament and we seem to be going backwards regarding the football we are playing which is crazy with such a talented set of players.

If we go on to win it then we can’t really criticise GS but unless something changes in the next 3 games if we get 3 of course then we haven’t got much hope of bringing the European Championship trophy home.
We will not beat Germany, Spain or France playing as we have. Not a chance. We probably won’t beat Switzerland and if we did then one of Netherlands, Romania, Austria or Turkey either.
Our luck will inevitably run out sooner rather than later.

Starting team v Switzerland for me needs to be.
Pickford

Walker
Stones
Konsa
Trippier/Shaw ( if fit )

Rice
Mainoo

Palmer
Bellingham
Gordon

Kane

Subs at H/T if we are not winning
From 2/3 from

Gomez
TAA
Foden
Saka
Eiza
Toney
Watkins

« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 10:07:47 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #498 on July 01, 2024, 10:20:23 pm by dickos1 »
Happened for years

The point being made dickos is he hasn’t showed world class form on the international stage as yet.

Everyone is talking about the last 4 games not previous tournaments dickos. We have been undeniably shocking in all 4 games in this one irrelevant of the final score in each game.

I think Southgate is great with the players and is a good man manager and has the respect of the players.

What most of us are saying is he plays people out of position, is tactically naive, is not pro active in a match situation, is far too cautious and is inflexible.

If you think he is the best manager we have ever had because we have reached 4 consecutive Qtr finals well that’s your prerogative. The fact is we haven’t done it with any conviction in this tournament and we seem to be going backwards regarding the football we are playing which is crazy with such a talented set of players.

If we go on to win it then we can’t really criticise GS but unless something changes in the next 3 games if we get 3 of course then we haven’t got much hope of bringing the European Championship trophy home.
We will not beat Germany, Spain or France playing as we have. Not a chance. We probably won’t beat Switzerland and if we did then one of Netherlands, Romania, Austria or Turkey either.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Konsa
Trippier/Shaw ( if fit )

Rice
Mainoo

Palmer
Bellingham
Gordon

Kane

From 2/3 from

Gomez
TAA
Foden
Saka
Eiza
Toney
Watkins

I think you need to read the conversation before posting.
Your man said we hadn’t won anything so obviously wasn’t talking about a tournament that’s only at the last 16 stage.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #499 on July 01, 2024, 10:27:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Happened for years

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Konsa
Trippier/Shaw ( if fit )

Rice
Mainoo

Palmer
Bellingham
Gordon

Kane

From 2/3 from

Gomez
TAA
Foden
Saka
Eiza
Toney
Watkins

I think you need to read the conversation before posting.
Your man said we hadn’t won anything so obviously wasn’t talking about a tournament that’s only at the last 16 stage.
What about the rest of what I posted.
I am wasting my breath because Southgate can’t do anything wrong in your eyes.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #500 on July 01, 2024, 10:35:52 pm by dickos1 »
I think a lot of what you’ve posted is hindsight, 90% of folk were happy with the lineup against Serbia,
Yep I’d make changes for the next game, but not many.
Every team we’ve played have sat back and we’ve struggled, I don’t think the Swiss will so I think it’ll suit us.
We drew with Denmark who were very unlucky to lose to Germany, robbed in fact, we drew with Slovenia who have just drawn with Portugal, and we beat Slovakia who beat Belgium.
So in reality our results aren’t as bad as what’s being made out

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #501 on July 02, 2024, 07:22:52 am by GazLaz »
I think a lot of what you’ve posted is hindsight, 90% of folk were happy with the lineup against Serbia,
Every team we’ve played have sat back and we’ve struggled, I don’t think the Swiss will so I think it’ll suit us.
We drew with Denmark who were very unlucky to lose to Germany, robbed in fact, we drew with Slovenia who have just drawn with Portugal, and we beat Slovakia who beat Belgium.

Kind of agree. People wanted TAA out, he played CG, we were worse. People wanted CG out, we played KM, we were worse again.

Players are always better when they are not playing when their team is struggling. If Anthony Gordon is the answer you are struggling to understand the question.

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #502 on July 02, 2024, 07:32:27 am by sf9944 »

Stop with the common sense :-)

We should be slaughtering TLOS ('The Likes of Slovakia)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #503 on July 02, 2024, 07:51:15 am by Filo »

Kind of agree. People wanted TAA out, he played CG, we were worse. People wanted CG out, we played KM, we were worse again.

Players are always better when they are not playing when their team is struggling. If Anthony Gordon is the answer you are struggling to understand the question.

Don’t agree with that, Mainoo was much better than the other two

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #504 on July 02, 2024, 07:55:56 am by ncRover »

Mainoo was really bright.

The question is “why isn’t anyone running in behind and stretching the opposition?”

The sensible answer to that is Anthony Gordon based on the options he’s got.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #505 on July 02, 2024, 08:18:34 am by steve@dcfd »
If we look at the players selected in forward areas which of those players for their clubs run in behind.
Saka Palmer Foden Bellingham Eze Toney Kane non of these all want ball to feet. So the ones that maybe could are Watkins Gordon and Bowen.
Our wide players like coming inside and play with overlapping fullbacks even at club level. Unfortunately we haven’t got that on the left which was a big strength last Euros with Luke Shaw and Kyle Walker is not doing it like he was in the last euros. Therefore we haven’t put enough good crosses in the box. We have tried playing through packed defences and we have failed miserably. But we are not the only top team to do that in this Euros.
Last night Portugal who played far better than we did couldn’t score against Slovenia over reliant on trying to find Ronaldo as well. But Slovenia defence stood tall.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 08:36:20 am by steve@dcfd »

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #506 on July 02, 2024, 08:55:12 am by drfcsteve »
Fair enough Portugal struggled against Slovenia but they gave it a much better go than England did, and might have won in normal time if Ronaldo ever let his better placed team mates have a go at free kicks and penalties.

A question for the Southgate fans, what is it about how we’re playing you’re enjoying? What do you think we’re doing well? Do you think scoring in the 95th minute was all part of the master plan?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #507 on July 02, 2024, 09:01:43 am by dickos1 »
Fair enough Portugal struggled against Slovenia but they gave it a much better go than England did, and might have won in normal time if Ronaldo ever let his better placed team mates have a go at free kicks and penalties.

A question for the Southgate fans, what is it about how we’re playing you’re enjoying? What do you think we’re doing well? Do you think scoring in the 95th minute was all part of the master plan?

Not sure anyone has suggested we’re playing well!
But it’s tournament football, the successful teams are usually pragmatic and grind out results.
That’s what we’re doing.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #508 on July 02, 2024, 09:28:54 am by Silkscarf »
Southgate is losing a lot of fans that have previously backed him and been pleased with what he’s achieved. Against Slovakia he was one minute away from being mutually consented and the inevitable horrific media and public backlash. All that still awaits him if he fails to win the trophy. I fear for him as that seems more likely than us winning the cup.

Having ‘a feeling’ we will get through isn’t good enough though. We can’t expect a miracle goal in injury time every game.

I still believe though. This team can ‘go electric’ like Rovers did a few months ago. Or maybe we’ll do a Greece and we’ll be holding the trophy aloft and we’re all still thinking we didn’t play very well at any point.

I hope he’s successful this time. He’s done a lot right for England. He’s moved us so far forward we’re never going back to a Sam Allardyce type.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #509 on July 02, 2024, 09:29:58 am by Colin C No.3 »

Not sure anyone has suggested we’re playing well!
But it’s tournament football, the successful teams are usually pragmatic and grind out results.
That’s what we’re doing.

Like Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina pragmatism’s?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012