Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 12:13:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 15239 times)

Jonathan, drfchound, DRFC_TID_93 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
Gareth Southgate
« on June 07, 2024, 09:43:12 pm by Little Wolf »
I have no idea how he got the job in the first place, the fa really have to take the blame, blessed with the best players on the planet and he has got no idea , why has a middlesborough manager who was always average got the england managers job,

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Owl in peace

• Forum Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #1 on June 07, 2024, 09:53:01 pm by Owl in peace »
Does he have the best players in the world though or are they typically overrated by our media?

Okay I’ll give you Bellingham, Kane and foden but the defence/keeper are average at best.

I don’t rate Southgate all that much but who else would fit the “yes man” mould for the FA?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 07, 2024, 09:58:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
They weren’t the best players on the planet tonight. I agree with you on Southgate, by the way - it’s utterly borefest football.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 07, 2024, 10:02:34 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Not a Terry Vendables is he, then again…..

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 07, 2024, 10:13:54 pm by Metalmicky »
Grant McCann for England......!!!    :whistle:

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 07, 2024, 10:31:06 pm by adamtherover »
I was there, trust me...it was dire :-(

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 07, 2024, 10:43:56 pm by dickos1 »
Waste of time these games.
His tournament record is the best we’ve ever had.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 07, 2024, 10:57:21 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Waste of time these games.
His tournament record is the best we’ve ever had.
Then why have them?

More monies to the FA per chance?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 07, 2024, 10:59:56 pm by dickos1 »
They probably need some kind of game to keep them ticking over but they’re certainly not games to get your knickers in a twist over, as has been proven many times in the past

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 07, 2024, 11:18:26 pm by redarmi66 »
I have no idea how he got the job in the first place, the fa really have to take the blame, blessed with the best players on the planet and he has got no idea , why has a middlesborough manager who was always average got the england managers job,

Well how about the fact that despite not yet winning anything he is still most successful England manager in the last 50 years. He has built a culture of togetherness where the players want to play for their country, where they play for each other. He along with others at the FA have invested in a structure that has finally delivered players with technical ability to match the very best in the world. (We weren't blessed with them, they've been coached world class) We now need to deliver a trophy. Lets see….
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 11:38:08 pm by redarmi66 »

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 07, 2024, 11:50:44 pm by Iberian Red »

Are you Jack Grealish's dad?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2024, 12:01:24 am by Draytonian III »
It was a friendly, just like every other team Rovers included players are not going to risk getting injured on the eve of a major tournament or the start of a new season.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2024, 07:42:01 am by Reg of the Rovers »
His tournament record is the same as every other manager bar one. It’s complete failure. He’s a born loser who has wasted the best set of players we’ve ever had. And turned most of the nation off to international football in the process. It’s like watching Rovers under Schofield, part of me wants us to lose, just so we can finally get rid of this pathetic limp loser.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2024, 07:52:58 am by redarmi66 »
His tournament record is the same as every other manager bar one. It’s complete failure. He’s a born loser who has wasted the best set of players we’ve ever had. And turned most of the nation off to international football in the process. It’s like watching Rovers under Schofield, part of me wants us to lose, just so we can finally get rid of this pathetic limp loser.

Absolute Rubbish

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2024, 12:08:06 pm by streathamdave »
Most successful manager England has ever had other than Sir Alf. Players need accountability not just the manager. Style wise I loved Vennables more than any other England manager and had huge respect for Robson as well. England were dire last night, but England fans need to be careful what they ask for. Didn't exactly work for Capello and others who had a far better reputation than Southgate before they got the job. Before people come at me with how great players in squad are 2002 squad for example (and some others) were every bit as good as this one and did OK but didn't win World cup. Too easy to forget how bad we were under Hodgeson just before Southgate and Mcclaren and that the overly lauded Hoddle ripped to bits that fantastic Vennables team. We've had far worse managers than Southgate and could again if they appoint badly after he has gone.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2024, 12:10:45 pm by Padge_DRFC »
We'd have won the last Euros with a better manager. In game he is poor.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2024, 12:36:54 pm by Danmckay456 »
It’s tactics when we are losing in big games what worries me he doesn’t know how to win games when he comes up against a better tactician , Mancini dechamps and the Croatian manager have proven that . He’s done a decent job but feel he should of called it a day after the World Cup and we’d start a fresh but hope I’m proved wrong we’ve no doubt some quality and players to bring on to change a game it’s how long he leaves to change players

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 08, 2024, 12:48:10 pm by EasyforDennis »
Englands most successful manager my arse. We have only ever had one successful manager. Sir Alf Ramsay. All the rest have been losers. Some have been better than others but in the last 58 years we have had NO winners when it matters.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 08, 2024, 01:38:42 pm by Superspy »
Englands most successful manager my arse. We have only ever had one successful manager. Sir Alf Ramsay. All the rest have been losers. Some have been better than others but in the last 58 years we have had NO winners when it matters.

So to be clear, your issue is in the use of the language "most successful" instead of "better than the others"?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 08, 2024, 02:28:45 pm by NickDRFC »

What a weird scale. So by your logic McCann is no more successful than Schofield or McSheffrey given he’s not actually won anything?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 08, 2024, 04:11:47 pm by EasyforDennis »

What a weird scale. So by your logic McCann is no more successful than Schofield or McSheffrey given he’s not actually won anything?

Until he gets us promoted NO he isn't. What success has he had to achieve being called successful?

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 08, 2024, 04:18:55 pm by Goole Rover »

Simple, he’s made our matches enjoyable. In by book he’s successful along with Gareth Southgate.

Until he gets us promoted NO he isn't. What success has he had to achieve being called successful?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 08, 2024, 04:46:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
These games are worse than normal friendlies imo. Learn nothing from them however imo it’s better to lose a game or two going into the tournament to dispel any complacency and try to keep the publics expectations in check.

On Southgate I think in the big games he’s reverted to quite a cautious approach when we may have been better having a proper go. Fans are more accepting of losing like that.

This tournament we’ve a weaker defence but in the forwards areas it’s hard to know the best line up. Think he’ll try to play tried and tested players and the likes of Palmer and Eze will be like Grealish last time.

Who ever partners Rice is vital as it feel like when we get far in the tournament we lose the central midfield battle to better technical players. I like Wharton but Southgate will likely play Gallagher because he runs about a lot.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 08, 2024, 06:04:22 pm by NickDRFC »
I’ve been pro-Southgate in the past and probably on balance still am but it’s concerning how many question marks there are over the team at this stage. We seem to have regressed as a side recently despite some players really progressing at club level (notably Foden & Bellingham).

- Is Guehi definitely the best choice to partner Stones? Feels like Southgate hasn’t taken enough of an opportunity to blood Branthwaite who would surely be the best like for like replacement for Maguire in terms of presence and old fashioned depending ability. Guehi has 10 or so caps but I can’t say I’m convinced he’s international quality
- How do you get TAA into the team? He’s looked very good coming on going forward but does that make up for his defensive deficiencies? And if so does that mean no place for Walker, arguably our best defender, or could he play left back? Should TAA play in midfield? That to me feels very risky and I don’t think he showed up well enough last week in that role
- If TAA doesn’t play in midfield, who should?
- Is Foden effective enough when not playing centrally?
- How much do you play Kane? He looked knackered last night already but will want to play every minute

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 08, 2024, 06:24:52 pm by grayx »
Not a Terry Vendables is he, then again…..
Im convinced Venables would have won a tournament if he’d had the calibre of players Southgate has had to choose from. Southgates got a squeaky clean image, comes across as a nice bloke & seems to bond with the players.
But thats it. Hes tactically useless.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 08, 2024, 07:57:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
If Stones or Kane get injured we are done.

Every other player just about replaceable.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 08, 2024, 07:58:56 pm by RoversInSpain »
Jeeesus, you watch the so called ‘Golden Era’ did you? they were a credit to the country weren’t they?

And recently …..
World Cup Semi
Euro Final
Unlucky v France, yep Southgate not Kane missed the penalty didn’t he?

Holy crap
For posts that’s right up there eh? lad or lass.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 08, 2024, 08:12:19 pm by NickDRFC »
If Stones or Kane get injured we are done.

Every other player just about replaceable.

Kane the hardest to replace by some distance. Our defence looks pretty crap anyway so losing Stones would just make it a bit crapper. I’d say that Rice would be the next biggest loss after Kane.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 08, 2024, 08:25:01 pm by Little Wolf »
World cup we had an easy draw and should have done better, euros final so negative against italy we played in to their hands, as rovers fans we have seen the effects of bad managers over the last 3 years, i have realised its not if you win or lose its how you play the game, do you want a manager who’s mantra is if we do not concede we cannot lose or one who’s mantra is if we do not score we cannot win, thank god grants is the latter, why do so many managers get their uefa coaching a badges and play so dire tactics.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 08, 2024, 09:49:29 pm by dickos1 »

What absolute nonsense, one of the most pathetic posts I’ve ever read on here.
If anything other than winning a tournament is failure then you’re never going to be happy.
We’ve won one ever.

If you think the nation have lost interest in the national team then I’m not sure where you’ve been hiding for the last 8 years

TinyPortal © 2005-2012