Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:14:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Glastonbury 2024  (Read 1527 times)

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
Glastonbury 2024
« on June 08, 2024, 04:35:59 pm by Iberian Red »
It looks like the worst line up I can remember.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Glastonbury 2024
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2024, 04:39:31 pm by Filo »
It looks like the worst line up I can remember.

I agree, might watch Shania Twain but that will be it for me

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 08, 2024, 04:48:31 pm by Iberian Red »
A lot of money for such a poor line up.
There isn't really a 'legend' as such playing this year either

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 08, 2024, 05:32:28 pm by auckleyflyer »
I'd still go in a heartbeat! Wasn't lucky this year so doing Boardmasters instead.
Line up doesn't matter at Glastonbury

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 08, 2024, 05:37:46 pm by Iberian Red »
I'd still go in a heartbeat! Wasn't lucky this year so doing Boardmasters instead.
Line up doesn't matter at Glastonbury

I know it doesn't matter ,but it helps.
Like most festivals the main entertainment isn't on the main stage.

Any idea how much it was this year?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 08, 2024, 05:47:05 pm by ravenrover »
It's not about the line up on the main stages, although I agree with Filo most of them I wouldn't cross the road to listen to. It's the little stages  the unknown acts, the whole atmosphere of being there. We try for tickets every year but haven't been successfull since 2019. I was on my own for the last 2 times I got tickets 17 and 19 as my daughter had  had her 2nd child so couldn't go. I loved every minute,  in 19 I think I saw 2 or 3 on the main stages the rest of the time I was roaming round the site. I walked 40 miles the last time in 19 and my 2 favourite days Weds and Thurs when there is nothing on the main stages.
Will I try for tickets next time, you bet I will and I'll be 73 by the time of the next one

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 08, 2024, 05:53:13 pm by Iberian Red »
It's not about the line up on the main stages, although I agree with Filo most of them I wouldn't cross the road to listen to. It's the little stages  the unknown acts, the whole atmosphere of being there. We try for tickets every year but haven't been successfull since 2019. I was on my own for the last 2 times I got tickets 17 and 19 as my daughter had  had her 2nd child so couldn't go. I loved every minute,  in 19 I think I saw 2 or 3 on the main stages the rest of the time I was roaming round the site. I walked 40 miles the last time in 19 and my 2 favourite days Weds and Thurs when there is nothing on the main stages.
Will I try for tickets next time, you bet I will and I'll be 73 by the time of the next one

I remember you posting you had been there often.
Again to reiterate, I know it's not about the main stage(s), but this year it is piss poor.

My niece has got VIP tickets staying,eating and drinking free with the artists.
She's  a bit disappointed with it being this year and not previous years

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 08, 2024, 05:57:20 pm by River Don »
My experience of outdoor summer festival in the UK  Basically freezing to death in pouring rain and having to wait for hours on an open platform for a train means...

My first requirement for any sort of music performance is a roof.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2024, 06:02:25 pm by tommy toes »
I’d recommend Moseley Folk festival early September. Great atmosphere and all sorts going on. Not just folk music either. Have seen Tull, Squeeze, The Coral as well as poets like John Cooper Clark and comedy. A lovely couple of days.
Graham Nash headlining this year.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2024, 06:15:14 pm by rtid88 »
I'd love to do Glastonbury, tried several times for tickets but never been succesful, however tbh these days I prefer the smaller grassroots festivals.

Fabulous atmosphere, great crowds who are only there for the music and to have a few beers and clean up after themselves.

There are some fantastic local ones these days but would love to try Beautiful Days,  Bearded Theory or Here for The Music at some point.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2024, 06:16:16 pm by ncRover »
The popularity of alternative / rock / indie music has been in decline since the late 00s.

This is why they’ve ended up with someone like Dua Lipa headlining.

A newer band some of the older heads on here will probably like are Fontaines DC - headlining the Park Stage on the Friday.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2024, 06:29:00 pm by River Don »
This is probably just me but Glasto feels like a Jules Holland show on a grand scale In the great outdoors. Now that's what I call cold and wet.

Nah. I'd rather see an artist/band I want to see in a smaller arena, with a roof.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 06:33:36 pm by River Don »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2024, 07:09:52 pm by scawsby steve »
I’d recommend Moseley Folk festival early September. Great atmosphere and all sorts going on. Not just folk music either. Have seen Tull, Squeeze, The Coral as well as poets like John Cooper Clark and comedy. A lovely couple of days.

By God, Tommy, you've mentioned some real talent there.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2024, 07:18:14 pm by Iberian Red »
My experience of outdoor summer festival in the UK  Basically freezing to death in pouring rain and having to wait for hours on an open platform for a train means...

My first requirement for any sort of music performance is a roof.

That's not just in the UK RD,went to a open air festival last week and my knackers nearly dropped off

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2024, 07:28:27 pm by Iberian Red »
Better line up than Glastonbury  TT!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2024, 09:15:01 pm by ravenrover »
I'd love to do Glastonbury, tried several times for tickets but never been succesful, however tbh these days I prefer the smaller grassroots festivals.

Fabulous atmosphere, great crowds who are only there for the music and to have a few beers and clean up after themselves.

There are some fantastic local ones these days but would love to try Beautiful Days,  Bearded Theory or Here for The Music at some point.
We did Bearded Theory a couple of years ago. A lovely little festival some very good new bands   we went mainly because Patti Smith was headlining. But sadly when you've been to Glasto it's spoiled it for other festivals.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2024, 09:26:59 pm by Nudga »
My lad is going to Download, looks a better line up with Queens of the Stone Age, Limp Bizkit, Pantera, Sum 41 and The Offspring.
Wish I was going with him but I'm going to see Foo Fighters at Old Trafford cricket stadium

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 08, 2024, 09:30:17 pm by Iberian Red »
Saw Patti Smith at All Points East festival in Viccy Park in 2019. People from all over the world there and a good few in tears.  A very memorable occasion.
Nick Cave also played and was excellent,tho preferred seeing him in smaller venues in the past.

One of the highlights tho was seeing Andy Weatherall doing a great set.
On a side note,walking up from Mile End tube,had a quick chat with a tall, elegant bloke I felt I knew from somewhere. Turned out it was Paul Smith!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 08, 2024, 09:33:42 pm by drfchound »
My lad is going to Download, looks a better line up with Queens of the Stone Age, Limp Bizkit, Pantera, Sum 41 and The Offspring.
Wish I was going with him but I'm going to see Foo Fighters at Old Trafford cricket stadium

Foo fighters are one of my favourite bands Nudga.
I wish I could be going with you.

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 08, 2024, 10:38:21 pm by mugnapper »
I've never got festivals. Tòo many bands, too many stages.
Communal toilets. Showers?
I'm watching the Skids in a small venue in Derby as I type.
£27 for a band I could watch for a wèek.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 08, 2024, 10:58:59 pm by Nudga »

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan but wanted to see them live.
Again, I'd rather go download with my son and break stuff to Limp Bizkit

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 08, 2024, 11:05:40 pm by knockers »
We go to Ey up mi duck which is just the other side of Blaxton. Mainly Folk/punk stuff capacity 600, great toilets, food and a bar at pub prices.
Also do stonedead at Newark which this year has Saxon, Judas Priest and the Quireboys and loads of others over two days at £60 with again great facilities and beer at pub prices

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 09, 2024, 08:16:18 am by normal rules »
I still think the Ukrainians should set up huge speakers on the frontline and torment the Russians with Coldplay.
That should swing the conflict their way

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 14, 2024, 02:41:27 pm by Nudga »

Went to see FF last night Hound, musically they are fantastic, so tight and clean it's unreal but..... Just not enough oomph and energy for me. I really enjoyed it for what it was though.

The ticketing system is a fiasco at Old Trafford cricket stadium though. Stewards on a power trip who lack basic common sense in crowd control.

Back there next Friday to watch Green Day for the 3rd time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 02:45:30 pm by Nudga »

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 14, 2024, 06:09:41 pm by Iberian Red »

Went to see FF last night Hound, musically they are fantastic, so tight and clean it's unreal but..... Just not enough oomph and energy for me. I really enjoyed it for what it was though.

The ticketing system is a fiasco at Old Trafford cricket stadium though. Stewards on a power trip who lack basic common sense in crowd control.

Got free tickets for a festival 3 weeks ago and Green Day headlined one night,not my favourite band by any stretch.
The sound was probably the worst I've ever hear live,not the fault of GD.
At times you could hear no vocals or guitar, only drums.
On Amercican Idiot,the song had finished,vocals coming out and the singer a good metre from the mike.
Obviously they don't mime,but with the terrible SEs,it made them look like it.
I hope you have better luck Nudga

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 14, 2024, 06:49:12 pm by Nudga »

Got free tickets for a festival 3 weeks ago and Green Day headlined one night,not my favourite band by any stretch.
The sound was probably the worst I've ever hear live,not the fault of GD.
At times you could hear no vocals or guitar, only drums.
On Amercican Idiot,the song had finished,vocals coming out and the singer a good metre from the mike.
Obviously they don't mime,but with the terrible SEs,it made them look like it.
I hope you have better luck Nudga

Thanks mate.
I saw GD in Manchester arena about 7 years ago and they were phenomenal. Sound system was like nothing I'd heard before.
I saw again at Sheffield arena and same as you said above, the sound quality was awful. They still put on an energetic show but I could only hear the bass reverb most of the time.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 16, 2024, 09:21:50 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I first attended Glastonbury in 1987 and saw New Order and Elvis Costello. I doubt either performances would rank with their greatest. New Order in particular seemed to be in a very bad mood with each other.

The atmosphere at the festival in those days was fairly aggressive and intimidating at times. I did a bit of boxing in those days so could look after myself, but I was a bit nervous. Drugs were absolutely everywhere, freely and openly available and there were ‘casualties’ all over the place.

As others have said, the joy of Glastonbury is away from the main stages. It’s so vast that there’s literally something for everyone.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 16, 2024, 10:59:00 am by Colin C No.3 »
Some great acts at Bridlington Spa this summer.

In July ‘Pelvis’ is on for a two night spectacular.

Beginning of August they have UB60, Bay City Strollers & The Two Degrees.

September Boomtown Cats & The Stereofonics followed by a two night extravaganza featuring Adel & John Ledgend.

In October they’re hoping to attract back for the third year running, Elvis Castella.

Bloody brilliant.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 16, 2024, 11:07:56 am by Bentley Bullet »
I saw The Hoo and Dr Rook there once.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 16, 2024, 07:26:32 pm by scawsby steve »
Can anyone confirm which stage Dickie Valentine's on?

Asking for a couple of friends on here.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012