Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 03:56:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Farage  (Read 8140 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Farage
« Reply #240 on June 25, 2024, 12:04:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Stewart Lee was satirising this a decade ago. But he thought he was going over the top for comic effect, not doing a serious critique of what the Faragists actually think.

https://youtu.be/6KVO378tjsw?si=jDCAtiai8vF5WPPX

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #241 on June 25, 2024, 12:50:59 am by Bentley Bullet »
Your taste in comedy matches your taste in politics.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #242 on June 25, 2024, 09:19:40 am by ravenrover »
It's taken over her shoulder as she has put the X in it's place
The photo now appears to have vanished from his X account but here it is with the following comment from Chris Bryant referring to it's breaking of electoral law
The circumstances referred to in subsection (3A)(c) are where V is about to mark, is in the process of marking, or has just marked, a ballot paper sent to V for voting by post at the election."

Cheers for that raven.
I wondered what all the fuss was about.
It doesn’t actually show an X on the paper does it so if it is illegal to publish a picture of someone’s ballot sheet with a clear picture of who they voted for I guess there isn’t a case to answer.
It would seem logical though who she would vote for anyway.
Read the note again from Chris Bryant

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on June 25, 2024, 10:50:53 am by Branton Red »
I thought this was some sort of parody when I first read it, but no!

https://x.com/JulianMalins/status/1783512776247275582

This is the RefUK candidate for Salisbury.

I know the Faragists (nice French name...) are all about harking back to some mythical Golden Age before all the bloody foreigners came over here, but I didn't realise they got shirty about the Norman Conquest.

I don't know though as someone of largely Danish (Viking) extraction I'm still seriously miffed at the Normans for the Harrying of the North

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on June 25, 2024, 10:53:46 am by Ldr »

I know the Faragists (nice French name...) are all about harking back to some mythical Golden Age before all the bloody foreigners came over here, but I didn't realise they got shirty about the Norman Conquest.

I don't know though as someone of largely Danish (Viking) extraction I'm still seriously miffed at the Normans for the Harrying of the North

Normans of course who were of Viking extraction too

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on June 25, 2024, 10:56:56 am by Branton Red »

Norwegian Vikings - please don't associate us with THAT lot

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on June 25, 2024, 11:05:20 am by Ldr »

Norwegian Vikings - please don't associate us with THAT lot

Haha my apologies:)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #247 on June 25, 2024, 11:53:57 am by selby »
  Farage must really scare you Billy, he is the only subject in your head, basically your right he is taking votes off labour now.
  The biggest advantage he has got is he has a full five years of labour taxing everyone silly in front of him because he is there for the long game and down the line, and it might not be as far in front of you as you think, he knows he will be able to turn around and say I told you what would happen.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on June 25, 2024, 01:40:14 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
  Farage must really scare you Billy, he is the only subject in your head, basically your right he is taking votes off labour now.
  The biggest advantage he has got is he has a full five years of labour taxing everyone silly in front of him because he is there for the long game and down the line, and it might not be as far in front of you as you think, he knows he will be able to turn around and say I told you what would happen.

So in 5 years time do you think that the choice will be higher taxes under Labour but better public services for everyone or lower taxes but poorer public services for everyone under Reform?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on June 25, 2024, 03:41:11 pm by jmt23 »
All this political point scoring is nonsense - no matter who gets in taxes will have to rise, we have been decimated by the Tories mis-management , Brexit, and lets not forget Covid, we also have the blood and post office scandals to pay for.

Labour need to grow a pair now - take back the utilities and rail, this alone will generate a huge income, and should provide better services.

Brexit - for the sake of the country reverse this decision, did I hear right it has cost us 100 billion a year since it went through (ffs) and It will never get better - no one will give us the deals Boris said we would get, they are laughing at us, even the "special relationship" with the US.

Reinvest in trade apprenticeships - they have fallen off a cliff, and this will lead to massive issues when we try to build the infrastructure we desperately need. This would be my form of conscription, no job? off to college to learn how to lay bricks… or no financial help.

Contracts - it is ridiculous the contracts given out to big companies that work for the government, basically a blank cheque, that you can keep going back for more, despite what you quoted.

We are in for a rough ride with whoever, but people point scoring saying they will tax you more is nonsense - they all have too.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on June 25, 2024, 03:58:33 pm by danumdon »

So in 5 years time do you think that the choice will be higher taxes under Labour but better public services for everyone or lower taxes but poorer public services for everyone under Reform?

I'm not sure you can equate higher taxes with better services, it doesn't follow that one creates the other.

I remember pre 2010 when people were complaining about the state of the NHS, at the time Labour were stating that they had furnished it with the greatest increases ever?

I think all you can say is that its all relative, i'd imagine the load that the NHS is now under compared to then has increased proportionately, even though the Tories have increased funding.

I just feel like its always going to be this way now, id be very surprised if any government of any colour can take into account how much the increase in its everyday requirements are going to add up to, how can they, they don't know how many people there are going to be catering for over the next 5 years.

When you compound this to include all other public services then the miss-calculation just becomes greater.

Does anyone know what the projected figures will be?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #251 on June 25, 2024, 05:15:59 pm by SydneyRover »

I'm not sure you can equate higher taxes with better services, it doesn't follow that one creates the other.

I remember pre 2010 when people were complaining about the state of the NHS, at the time Labour were stating that they had furnished it with the greatest increases ever?

I think all you can say is that its all relative, i'd imagine the load that the NHS is now under compared to then has increased proportionately, even though the Tories have increased funding.

I just feel like its always going to be this way now, id be very surprised if any government of any colour can take into account how much the increase in its everyday requirements are going to add up to, how can they, they don't know how many people there are going to be catering for over the next 5 years.

When you compound this to include all other public services then the miss-calculation just becomes greater.

That must be one of your problems dd, you're talking to the wrong people, have a look at the graphy thing in the link

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/insight-and-analysis/data-and-charts/nhs-budget-nutshell

NHS England spending has varied substantially over time
Real-terms (in 2022/23 prices) increase in government spending on health

Column chart showing the average increase in spending for each government since 1955/56. The highest spend was the labour government between 1997/98 and 2009/10, when spending increased 5.5% per year on average. The lowest was the 2010/11 - 2014/15 coalition, with a 1.1% average annual increase.
Covid-19
Source: House of Commons Library (pre 2019/20), HM Treasury (2019/20 onwards)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 05:34:22 pm by SydneyRover »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #252 on June 25, 2024, 05:36:14 pm by danumdon »

That must be one of your problems dd, you're talking to the wrong people, have a look at the graphy thing in the link

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/insight-and-analysis/data-and-charts/nhs-budget-nutshell

This must be one of your problems SR, you totally miss the point as usual.

In my post i acknowledged that Labour had increased spending in the NHS to record levels, i don't deny that.

My point was that even including the increased funding people were still not happy with the overall performance of the NHS. The extra cash had gone in but the inclination is that more is always required.

Was it an actual fact that the money had been spent wisely or was it more being tipped into a bottomless pit?

Something that neither of us can answer with any accuracy. As always the electorate will make the decision and decide.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #253 on June 25, 2024, 05:37:26 pm by SydneyRover »
And yet I just posted information that totally contradicted all you said about NHS funding.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #254 on June 25, 2024, 07:09:28 pm by danumdon »
And yet I just posted information that totally contradicted all you said about NHS funding.

I think you do it on purpose don't you?

Got better things to do, scream at some poor footballers.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #255 on June 25, 2024, 07:32:05 pm by scawsby steve »
All this political point scoring is nonsense - no matter who gets in taxes will have to rise, we have been decimated by the Tories mis-management , Brexit, and lets not forget Covid, we also have the blood and post office scandals to pay for.

Labour need to grow a pair now - take back the utilities and rail, this alone will generate a huge income, and should provide better services.

Brexit - for the sake of the country reverse this decision, did I hear right it has cost us 100 billion a year since it went through (ffs) and It will never get better - no one will give us the deals Boris said we would get, they are laughing at us, even the "special relationship" with the US.

Reinvest in trade apprenticeships - they have fallen off a cliff, and this will lead to massive issues when we try to build the infrastructure we desperately need. This would be my form of conscription, no job? off to college to learn how to lay bricks… or no financial help.

Contracts - it is ridiculous the contracts given out to big companies that work for the government, basically a blank cheque, that you can keep going back for more, despite what you quoted.

We are in for a rough ride with whoever, but people point scoring saying they will tax you more is nonsense - they all have too.

Good post, JMT. There's not much in there anyone could disagree with.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #256 on June 25, 2024, 07:34:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

This must be one of your problems SR, you totally miss the point as usual.

In my post i acknowledged that Labour had increased spending in the NHS to record levels, i don't deny that.

My point was that even including the increased funding people were still not happy with the overall performance of the NHS. The extra cash had gone in but the inclination is that more is always required.

Was it an actual fact that the money had been spent wisely or was it more being tipped into a bottomless pit?

Something that neither of us can answer with any accuracy. As always the electorate will make the decision and decide.

Who are these people who weren't happy?

And were they happier in 1997 when Labour took over?

Are they happier now?

Your problem DD is that you blindly refuse to look at the facts and instead you insist that things were no better under Labour. The facts say that the NHS was massively more efficient and successful in treating people 14 years ago than it is now, or it was 27 years ago.

Maybe the problem is that the "people" you listen to are just constant moaners?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #257 on June 25, 2024, 07:38:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This, by the way, is the evidence I'm talking about

Look at that and tell me Labour managed the NHS no better than the Tories on either side.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on June 25, 2024, 08:51:17 pm by drfchound »
The photo now appears to have vanished from his X account but here it is with the following comment from Chris Bryant referring to it's breaking of electoral law
The circumstances referred to in subsection (3A)(c) are where V is about to mark, is in the process of marking, or has just marked, a ballot paper sent to V for voting by post at the election."

Cheers for that raven.
It doesn’t actually show an X on the paper does it so if it is illegal to publish a picture of someone’s ballot sheet with a clear picture of who they voted for I guess there isn’t a case to answer.

I did read it.
The voter is hovering a pen over the ballot sheet.
Something she might do over each box before deciding which one to put her cross into.
We know who she is most likely to vote for but there is no evidence that she did so.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #259 on June 25, 2024, 10:21:03 pm by Sprotyrover »

Look at that and tell me Labour managed the NHS no better than the Tories on either side.
Here is some evidence on Labours gross financial mal administration the last time they were in power
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/investing/gold-hits-all-time-high-gordon-brown-blunder-cost/

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #260 on June 25, 2024, 10:21:11 pm by danumdon »

Your not comparing like for like, Would the Labour performance have been so good having to deal with millions more looking for treatment and all the affect of a pandemic to deal with.

14 and 27 years ago is a long time buddy, nothing stays the same.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #261 on June 26, 2024, 12:20:34 am by BillyStubbsTears »
DD.

Look at the graphs.

Look at what happened BEFORE the pandemic.

I'm not surprised at you scratching around for some reason to convince yourself Labour is crap. It's what you do.

But it's really embarrassing to be confronted by that data and still argue the toss, isn't it?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #263 on June 26, 2024, 06:59:19 am by danumdon »
DD.

Look at the graphs.

I'm not surprised at you scratching around for some reason to convince yourself Labour is crap. It's what you do.

But it's really embarrassing to be confronted by that data and still argue the toss, isn't it?

As usual you also have missed the point. I didn't state that the NHS had been run any better or worse by anyone. The figures you post are just a small snapshot of the overall NHS, its actually a great deal more than just those stats.

My point was that at any time the NHS is always under pressure to do more and the budget is always a contention point, 14 and 27 years ago as it is now.

You never answered my point about the extra millions who are putting additional strains on the service now rather than 14 and 27 years ago, this cannot be compared to that period. I don't have the actual figures but im thinking that its grown by a very large percentage sine then. Is that not as issue?

No doubt we will see an additional burden put upon the service over the next 5 years, are the prospective amounts being banded about going to be enough to cover this? where is Starmer going to get the additional cash?

Im sure you can remind us in time how much better the service will be run without being embarrassed?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #264 on June 26, 2024, 09:06:42 am by SydneyRover »
DD.

Look at the graphs.

As usual you also have missed the point. I didn't state that the NHS had been run any better or worse by anyone. The figures you post are just a small snapshot of the overall NHS, its actually a great deal more than just those stats.

My point was that at any time the NHS is always under pressure to do more and the budget is always a contention point, 14 and 27 years ago as it is now.

You never answered my point about the extra millions who are putting additional strains on the service now rather than 14 and 27 years ago, this cannot be compared to that period. I don't have the actual figures but im thinking that its grown by a very large percentage sine then. Is that not as issue?

No doubt we will see an additional burden put upon the service over the next 5 years, are the prospective amounts being banded about going to be enough to cover this? where is Starmer going to get the additional cash?

Im sure you can remind us in time how much better the service will be run without being embarrassed?

Maybe the point is that you will never accept that labour in power has been a better provider of services full stop.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on June 26, 2024, 09:07:04 am by Herbert Anchovy »

Of course you can't guarantee that higher taxes equate to better services. However, you can equate with some confidence that drastically cutting taxes certainly won't lead to better services!

During the last Labour government, public services provided better value for money than they do now. Not perfect of course, but better.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on June 26, 2024, 09:11:54 am by Herbert Anchovy »
DD.

Look at the graphs.

Has anyone else seen the clip from an edition of Question Time, from the early 2000's I think, where audience members were complaining to Tony Blair that they were being offered GP appointments too quickly? Unbelievable!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #267 on June 26, 2024, 09:19:28 am by ravenrover »

Cheers for that raven.

I did read it.
Something she might do over each box before deciding which one to put her cross into.
We know who she is most likely to vote for but there is no evidence that she did so.

It doesn't matter where she marks it
Where V is about to mark, is in the process of marking
That seems clear to me but you're struggling with that for whatever reason
The photo was captioned
Marriage safe - got the wifes vote

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #268 on June 26, 2024, 09:49:28 am by drfchound »

Cheers for that raven.

I did read it.

It doesn't matter where she marks it
Where V is about to mark, is in the process of marking
That seems clear to me but you're struggling with that for whatever reason
The photo was captioned
Marriage safe - got the wifes vote

I’m not struggling with it at all.
As I said, the picture itself doesn’t confirm anything.
As for the caption, I haven’t seen it as it isn’t visible to me on the picture that was posted.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #269 on June 26, 2024, 10:27:58 am by SydneyRover »
DD.

Look at the graphs.

Has anyone else seen the clip from an edition of Question Time, from the early 2000's I think, where audience members were complaining to Tony Blair that they were being offered GP appointments too quickly? Unbelievable!

I guess one was dd, the other snotty.

Can't view it atm, but this may be it HA

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/old-clip-public-complaining-nhs-105902311.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 10:35:56 am by SydneyRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012