Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 09:30:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Euro 2024  (Read 11395 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Euro 2024
« Reply #30 on June 16, 2024, 09:26:29 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Any other team in the world would have Trent playing because he’s a joy to watch. He’s played for one of the best teams in the world for a while but people talk like he’s L2 defensively. Isn’t that bad at all!

Play him right back where you get time to ping passes all over. In midfield there’s not as much time. Just feels like we’re scared of other teams instead of trusting our ability. We’ll win nothing so long as we’re scared like that.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 03:51:29 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 16, 2024, 11:20:50 am by Spud »
Kyle Walker is our best right back imo, although I'd also trust him to play alongside Stones at CB.
Trent is most effective on the right, I don't think cm or number 10 is his position.
We have options & Trent is a good headache to have, I hope we're brave enough to take some gambles & if we're not good enough, so be it.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 16, 2024, 12:11:13 pm by ncRover »
What strengths are England playing to and how does the balance of the team bring them out?

Serbia have some big powerful lads in Mitrovic, Vlahovic and Milinkovic-Savic who will look to cause mayhem in the box against the weakest part of our team. Stopping crosses will be important. I remember Kostic from the Europa run Frankfurt went on - he can swing it in.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 12:53:25 pm by ncRover »

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 16, 2024, 05:57:40 pm by TonySoprano »
Nice to see Christian erikkson scoring today

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 16, 2024, 06:24:17 pm by moses »
BBC website says there are flags from DN5 and Mexborough.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 16, 2024, 07:58:18 pm by jmt23 »
Got to say the stadium’s and pitches look fantastic.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 16, 2024, 08:37:07 pm by ncRover »
Saka showing his quality. He should get as much praise as Foden does.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 16, 2024, 09:59:07 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Saka showing his quality. He should get as much praise as Foden does.

Should get more than Foden tonight. Foden off it by his standards at City

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 16, 2024, 10:01:09 pm by Filo »
Foden never done it for England

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 16, 2024, 10:14:01 pm by Branton Red »
The person who had the biggest influence on this evening's result: Dragan Stojkovic.

For reasons I don't understand he instructed his team to sit deep and defend from the kick off. It was inevitable England would score with the quality at their disposal in attack.

After the goal went in and Serbia were let off the leash and started to play, and once they'd gained a bit of confidence, they were the better team in possession - without looking overly dangerous.

If Serbia had come out to play football from the start it is highly unlikely that they would have lost that game.

Really poor management.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 16, 2024, 10:19:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We’ve struggled for a long time with spells in the game where we just have no control and can’t get ourselves any possession other than passing backwards.

Good result but I’m not sure TAA is the answer in midfield for that. Also Kane while obviously our best centre forward always seems so leggy. Not sure if we defend so deep under orders or because he’s so slow we can’t get a proper press high up the pitch.

Like Watkins to get 20min running behind even if it was from a wide starting position

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 16, 2024, 10:29:03 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
People will be negative, wrongly imo.  Serbia have some good players.  Bellingham was the stand out and saka good first half but a few I think felt the nerves. Understandable, the favourites tag does that.

What Southgate has done in past tournaments is learn from each game and improve. He'll do that after tonight. Some of his tactics were actually good, the doubling up on Mitrovic nullified him, Rice did a good job on that.  We never looked like losing ( or hammering them) but they created next to nothing.

Hopefully Shaw gets fit, we lacked balance down the left and it harmed the whole team.  Also still not sure the midfiele balance is right, Gallagher looked better than Trent tonight I thought. I don't know if we can get the best out of Alexander Arnold in an England shirt.

But with the way the tournament is that's nearly job done for the group stages, one draw should do it, or course we want to win all three.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 16, 2024, 10:29:13 pm by Colin C No.3 »

No e ant as e.

However moving on.

So, the last hour of that performance against the 33rd ranked team team in Europe will have Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal & Belgium sh***ing themselves.

Apart Saka  first 20 minutes & Bellingham playing in his natural No.10 role (his position not also his number) we offered very little if nothing up front.

Second half we really were poor going forward.

It’s down to the managers whole ethos of hanging on to what you have which, I’m sure I don’t need to remind you, is why we have fallen short at the semis & finals in both World & European competitions previously under his leadership.

Sorry but on that showing if anyone thinks Southgate is the answer they really don’t understand the question.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 10:35:03 pm by Colin C No.3 »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 16, 2024, 10:33:07 pm by dickos1 »

No e ant as e.

However moving on.

So, the last hour of that performance against the 33rd ranked team team in Europe will have Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal & Belgium sh***ing themselves.

Apart from Asaka first 20 minutes & Bellingham playing in his natural No.10 role (his position not also his number) we offered very little if nothing up front.

It’s down to the managers whole ethos of hanging on to what you have which, I’m sure I don’t need to remind you, is why we have fallen short at the semis & finals in both World & European competitions previously under his leadership.

Sorry but on that showing if anyone thinks Southgate is the answer they really don’t understand the question.

Italy struggled against the 66th ranked team yesterday, so I’m pretty sure they’ll be concentrating on themselves

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 16, 2024, 10:37:41 pm by Colin C No.3 »

No e ant as e.

However moving on.

Apart from Asaka first 20 minutes & Bellingham playing in his natural No.10 role (his position not also his number) we offered very little if nothing up front.

Italy struggled against the 66th ranked team yesterday, so I’m pretty sure they’ll be concentrating on themselves

Sorry but I’m English so know sweet FA about Italy except to say I’m glad we weren’t playing them tonight.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 16, 2024, 10:38:34 pm by ncRover »

No e ant as e.

However moving on.

They didn’t

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 16, 2024, 10:46:31 pm by dickos1 »
They didn’t what?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 16, 2024, 10:50:13 pm by ncRover »
They didn’t what?

They didn’t struggle. They completely dominated the game after conceding in the 1st minute.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 17, 2024, 02:41:49 am by richtherover »
BBC website says there are flags from DN5 and Mexborough.
I saw the flag. It was Mexborough Owls

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 17, 2024, 07:10:00 am by dickos1 »
They didn’t what?

They didn’t struggle. They completely dominated the game after conceding in the 1st minute.

Albania created more than Serbia did

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 17, 2024, 10:08:09 am by Mike_F »
Ruled out because an encroaching attacking player was involved in the goal.
So if the attacker was encroaching as the pelanty was taken shouldn’t the pen be retaken?

Rules around penalty encroachment as follows:

- If an attacking player encroaches into the box before the ball is struck it's an indirect free kick offence in favour of the defending team.

- If a defending player encroaches and the penalty is scored, no further action.

- If a defending player encroaches and the penalty is saved/missed it's a re-take.

VAR got it spot on in giving the indirect free kick but I was disappointed with them in the penalty award for a couple of reasons:

1. It looked like there was no contact whatsoever; the Croatia player at best tripped after kicking the ground and at worst dived. I would say simulation and a yellow card.
2. Once they had decided that there was a penalty offence, there was no way they could've deemed it a genuine attempt to play the ball, therefore double jeopardy doesn't come into it and it was red card offence.

Edited to correct typos
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 12:08:31 pm by Mike_F »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 17, 2024, 10:15:20 am by Filo »
Ruled out because an encroaching attacking player was involved in the goal.
So if the attacker was encroaching as the pelanty was taken shouldn’t the pen be retaken?

Rules around penalty encroachment as follows:

- If an attacking player encroaches into the box before the ball is struck it's an indirect free kick offence in favour of the defending team.

- If a defending player encroaches and the penalty is scored, no further action.

- If a defending player encroaches and the penalty is saved/missed it's a re-take.

VAR got it spot on in giving the indirect free kick but I was disappointed with them in the penatly award for a couple of reasons:

1. It looked like there was no contact whatsoever; the coratia player at best tripped after kicking the ground na dat worst dived. I would say simulation and a yellow card.
2. Once they had decided that there was a penalty offence, there was no way they could've deemed it a genuine attempt to play the ball, therefore double jeopardy doesn't come into it and it was red card offence.
Spot on

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 17, 2024, 10:35:05 am by ncRover »
They didn’t what?

Albania created more than Serbia did

And Italy created more than England.

So going back to your original point, Italy did not struggle.

Your classic ‘unwavering optimism mode’ is fully activated and locked in on England. Pointless trying to debate with it.

Southgate is back to making the “golden generation” mistake of trying to shoehorn all the most obvious players in to the starting XI rather than thinking about how they complement each other in the system.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 17, 2024, 06:50:47 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Well the atmosphere in the ground was amazing. So shut my mouth. England fans getting better than previous tournaments

VAR up to its usual tricks. That Belgian "handball" disallowed goal was such a premier league decision  :suicide:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 06:58:52 pm by DRFC_AjA »

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on June 17, 2024, 06:56:12 pm by colfromdonny »
VAR up to its usual tricks. That Belgian "handball" disallowed goal was such a premier league decision  :suicide:

If thats handball we might as well give up now, disgraceful!!

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 17, 2024, 06:57:28 pm by DRFC_AjA »

If thats handball we might as well give up now, disgraceful!!

Is it just my foreign coverage or did everyone just see them use something like a snickometer for that decision????? Game's gone

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 17, 2024, 07:20:15 pm by colfromdonny »
By these 'rules' every corner is a penalty or free kick for shirt pulling or pushing !!

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 17, 2024, 07:43:16 pm by RoversInSpain »
By these 'rules' every corner is a penalty or free kick for shirt pulling or pushing !!
Absolutely, I just do not get the ref’s trying to sort everyone out before a corner is taken, why don’t they just let it be taken and blow up for a foul, be it a pelanty or in favour of the defending team, the ref sees everything clearly for cryin out loud, ….. simple int it

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 17, 2024, 07:48:45 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Kane "bought" many a foul yesterday though relieving pressure in 2nd half, and the ref fell for it every time

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on June 17, 2024, 09:59:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Been some enjoyable matches so far.

I infinitely prefer national side football to top level domestic team stuff.

National sides can't be as drilled and disciplined, so things break down. No side has 80% possession and throttles the life out of games like Man City do.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012