Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 05:52:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England v Denmark  (Read 3215 times)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re: England v Denmark
« Reply #60 on June 20, 2024, 08:32:49 pm by grayx »
I’d like to see Southgate being brave for our next game & make a few changes. The likes of Bellingham , foden, walker, saka, kane(in particular) Trippier, will benefit from a rest, play Trent at right back, play Manoo in midfield, Gordon perhaps. Southgates messed up by not identifying a natural left back because the left sides completley unbalanced. Im not a big fan of Chilwell but he wouldhave been better than Trippier.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on June 20, 2024, 08:37:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not wishing my summer away but be glad when this crap is over, so can get on with supporting Rovers !

England apart, it's been a wonderfully exciting tournament so far.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on June 20, 2024, 08:38:06 pm by tyke1962 »
Southgate: “we haven’t got a natural replacement for Calvin Phillips”

Whats he been smoking?

I can’t believe I just heard that

Southgate couldn't even get that right , the one we haven't replaced is Sterling with his ability to run in behind and let Kane drop off as he did very well  at the last Euros .

The team just doesn't look right and I don't believe this is the most together England group either under Southgate's management which has been his greatest asset previously .

Possibly one tournament too many for Southgate in my opinion .

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on June 20, 2024, 08:44:52 pm by ncRover »
Pickford

TAA
Stones
Guehi
Shaw

Wharton
Rice

Gordon
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

For me that would be our most productive starting XI

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on June 20, 2024, 08:52:15 pm by drfcsteve »
Southgate’s Kalvin Phillips comment was very revealing. Is he saying that he needs to set up the team with 2 holding midfielders regardless? Is that why he’s “experimenting” putting Trent in there? Why not Mainoo if that’s what he wants? 

I’d wondered why we aren’t going 4-3-3 given it would suit what we have better and it’s what most of the players are used to playing, but I’m wondering if Southgate doesn’t have the flexibility to move away from his 4-2-3-1.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on June 20, 2024, 08:55:08 pm by Nudga »
Pickford

TAA
Stones
Guehi
Shaw

Wharton
Rice

Gordon
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

Take out Wharton and put Foden next to Kane.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on June 20, 2024, 08:55:58 pm by Filo »
Southgate’s Kalvin Phillips comment was very revealing. Is he saying that he needs to set up the team with 2 holding midfielders regardless? Is that why he’s “experimenting” putting Trent in there? Why not Mainoo if that’s what he wants? 

I’d wondered why we aren’t going 4-3-3 given it would suit what we have better and it’s what most of the players are used to playing, but I’m wondering if Southgate doesn’t have the flexibility to move away from his 4-2-3-1.

4-1-4-1 is the formation for the quality we have

Ye-Aul-Tavern

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on June 20, 2024, 09:03:16 pm by Ye-Aul-Tavern »
As a neutral I'm really enjoying the tournament so far. Watching Spain v Italy here is like a different sport to the game earlier. You're out of the group now as everyone expected and provided you don't screw up against Slovenia, you should get a decent draw in the next round. England need a big improvement but they're not out! Strange subs from Southgate today. Taking Kane off spoke volumes. He never takes Kane off so I think he's still searching for something. Then you have the Philips comment too. Something's not right.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on June 20, 2024, 09:10:30 pm by NickDRFC »

Whats he been smoking?

Southgate couldn't even get that right , the one we haven't replaced is Sterling with his ability to run in behind and let Kane drop off as he did very well  at the last Euros .

The team just doesn't look right and I don't believe this is the most together England group either under Southgate's management which has been his greatest asset previously .

Possibly one tournament too many for Southgate in my opinion .

England fans - “Southgate just picks his favourites, can’t believe that Sterling, Rashford, Grealish still get picked”

Also England fans - “Southgate is an idiot, why have Sterling, Rashford, Grealish not been picked”

Sterling was a tremendous asset for England and he’s never really been replaced. He struggled early on but he created so much space for the team and latterly in his England career contributed a lot in terms of goals and assists. For a couple of years he dovetailed fantastically with Kane. But England fans could never see beyond him missing chances and not looking completely at ease with the ball at his feet.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t necessarily have him back now but it feels like Southgate has replaced Sterling as a player but not given any consideration into how his replacement fits into the system. The team right now looks like 11 strangers with no thought given to tactics, pressing or passages of play. An international manager doesn’t have to be a Pep or a Klopp, but there’s more to it than simply sending 11 out and saying “good luck lads, do your best”. Which is exactly how it looks for us right now.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on June 20, 2024, 09:12:18 pm by Draytonian III »
Pickford

TAA
Stones
Guehi
Shaw

Wharton
Rice

Gordon
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

How can anyone pick TAA above Kyle Walker is totally beyond me, Walker is the one of few pluses so far

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on June 20, 2024, 09:14:10 pm by Pancho Regan »
Defended Southgate in the past, but can't defend a manager who has the likes of Bellingham, Foden, Kane, Rice, Saka....the list could go on all in the forms of their lives and turn them into this dreadful, slow, passive team that just look so off the mark it's unbelievable.

Need to makes a handful of changes for the game on Tuesday but would best my house on him starting the same 11.

I haven’t read the rest of this thread but I have to agree with you.

I’ve never once criticised Southgate and have attempted to shout down those who have done so.

But that was awful from England today. How can you turn very talented players like Bellingham, Foden, Rice, even Stones into very ordinary plodders?!

The BBC pundits got it spot on at half time. We were boring, almost cowardly and clueless in our lack of press and energy.
It sometimes looks like an arrogant complacency!

I can only give Southgate some credit for making three changes before 70 minutes, including pulling Kane, who I have huge respect for but who was culpable in our failure to press the Danes.

Please, England, let’s show some energy and endeavour in the next match because this was frustrating and embarrassing.

And I’m a big England fan by the way.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on June 20, 2024, 09:14:23 pm by ncRover »
Pickford

TAA
Stones
Guehi
Shaw

Wharton
Rice

Gordon
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

Take out Wharton and put Foden next to Kane.

And that team would then get torn apart defensively.

Wharton would allow us to keep possession better. His passing is amazing. As is TAA’s delivery from RB - we lack creativity too Draytonian.

Play the best midfielder in the world (Bellingham) in his best position. Where he plays for Real Madrid and got us a goal against Serbia.

If Foden plays his natural 10 position and Kane plays his natural game dropping deep they get in each other’s way.

Have Foden and Watkins as impact subs.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on June 20, 2024, 09:16:06 pm by dickos1 »
Dickos - where are you? Justify that shambles - all created by your man Gareth.

I’m in Frankfurt mate
Watching the game

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on June 20, 2024, 09:17:28 pm by NickDRFC »
Dickos - where are you? Justify that shambles - all created by your man Gareth.

I’m in Frankfurt mate
Watching the game

The “great” game, no doubt.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on June 20, 2024, 09:19:11 pm by dickos1 »
I’m sure you’re aware there’s a big difference between a great game and a great result.
Not sure anyone described the Serbia game as a great game.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on June 20, 2024, 09:22:03 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
In fairness with Kane up top you need wide forwards like Son was at Spurs. Sterling probably fits that bill.

Looking at Spain they just play a balanced team where the players just have to fit into it. If they don’t they won’t start.

For me the next match we should go

Pickford
TAA Stones Guehi Tripper (Shaw if fit)
    Bellingham Rice Foden
       Saka Kane Gordon

Could even play Watkins wide left so when Kane drops he makes runs into the space like Son would.

Whatever players or formations the attitude needs to be different. Forget this low block passive rubbish. Get them fired up to get after the opposition.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on June 20, 2024, 09:33:48 pm by Pancho Regan »

Whats he been smoking?

I haven’t heard Southgate’s interview but if that’s what he said then I’m dumbfounded.

Calvin Phillips should never have worn an England shirt, and if Southgate’s pointing to his absence as a reason for that display then I give up.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on June 20, 2024, 09:40:52 pm by Little Wolf »
Why is it when England are on i know i have to watch but with southgate in charge i wish i had not

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 20, 2024, 09:42:57 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Basically it was we’re missing the Kalvin Phillips role so I’m playing a right back to stand on the toes of the centre halves.

I’ve been a fan of him generally but comments like this just say it’s time for change. He’s harping back a couple of tournaments ago there. Surely he’s known Phillips is miles off it for years and could have picked a midfield in all the qualifiers/friendlies to play together and get some chemistry.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on June 20, 2024, 09:47:06 pm by NickDRFC »
We looked a much more balanced team with Phillips in the side, that’s very hard to dispute. But using that as an excuse when his last appearance for England was November is frankly pathetic.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on June 20, 2024, 10:48:44 pm by Bills view »
The back 6 needed to be 20 yards further up the pitch closer to the forward line and not a 6.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on June 20, 2024, 11:02:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Whats he been smoking?

I haven’t heard Southgate’s interview but if that’s what he said then I’m dumbfounded.

Calvin Phillips should never have worn an England shirt, and if Southgate’s pointing to his absence as a reason for that display then I give up.

I'm thinking the same.

I've generally defended Southgate, on the grounds that he's done far better than previous managers who had arguably similar quality squads.

But this is a very revealing insight into how his mind works.

Here's a thought: if you don't have the players to play the formation you used to use, find another formation.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on June 20, 2024, 11:18:28 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Calvin Phillips. Southgate comes out after that miserable performance against the Danes & after being asked about playing Trent Alexander in a midfield role then substituting for both games says “It’s an experiment. Obviously missing Calvin Phillips in there means we have to look at different experiments”. He’s having a laugh!

Calvin Phillips should be nowhere near his reckoning for an England spot, he can’t even gain a regular 1st team club level spot!

Southgate has ‘wasted’ the best talent the country has produced in the last decade. He’s even making Bellingham & Foden look like Championship players.

Anyone thinking that Southgate is the answer doesn’t know the question.

The sooner Eddie Howe is given the reins the better.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on June 20, 2024, 11:48:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I've been a strong supporter of Southgate because of his achievements in England's progress as a competitive team in international football but tonight, it looked like the players were frustrated with the instructions they were given.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on June 21, 2024, 12:42:51 am by PDX_Rover »
Bizarre today.

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 21, 2024, 06:05:38 am by scunny rover »
Trent shouldn't be anywhere  near this team ,I wouldn't even put him in a Liverpool team.mainoo is our best midfielder by a mile but I think he moves to much for Southgate and may go over the halfway line on occasions.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 21, 2024, 06:28:07 am by Chris Black come back »
Phillips is effective at what he does. An archetypal Leeds player. Runs around fouling people. We’ve now got Gallagher for that. If Southgate is assigning our current situation to a mid-table Premier League clogger not being available, then something has gone badly wrong in that interview.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on June 21, 2024, 07:56:02 am by Donnywolf »
The interview I have seen is a cliche ridden mess.

I've noticed Southgate has started to "lose" some of those in his pro camp having had detractors from the off and if this Team don't pick up I'm sure he will fall on his sword

Touted as Man U Manager ? That would go down well with Man City and Liverpool fans I bet

Another set of players labelled "golden generation" looking like anything but that . Surely they HAVE that ability but is GS squandering that ability ?

I don't know and can't remember exactly but didn't we lose the Euros last time after scoring early then sitting on what we had then conceding and being unable to go back up a gear

That often doesn't work in League 2 when teams drop deeper and deeper and invite pressure , then the opposition pile forward and suddenly they look like world beaters when for 60 minutes or so they were looking like they were well held.

Sorry I'll find my tablets out .

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on June 21, 2024, 08:08:58 am by ncRover »
Micah Richards said on BBC One. “They are lethargic - they need more energy and need to be more aggressive“

This isn’t helpful at all and just demoralises the players. I’m sure they are trying.

A press isn’t just everybody running around like headless chickens. It is about organisation.

Southgate has had ample time to sort that out, he has been the manager for 8 years. But every 2 years he gets in the “it’s a young squad” excuse.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on June 21, 2024, 09:15:47 am by Mike_F »
I've defended Southgate for the last few years. Many a manager has failed to get a tune out of talented English players so I've backed Southgate on his record of getting us to major semi-finals/finals where others have failed.

Last night was utterly indefensible. I said at half time it was like watching some of the poor football we've seen at the Rovers prior to our resurgence in the second half of the season. My lad's U15 team had a friendly on Wednesday night and they were better at moving the ball and pressing their opponents than England were last night. I might recommend our coach to the FA as Southgate's replacement!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012