Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:00:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England v Denmark  (Read 3282 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: England v Denmark
« Reply #30 on June 20, 2024, 07:11:33 pm by Copps is Magic »
I wonder if Southgate actually analysed the Serbia game, or has chosen to dig a trench for himself?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 20, 2024, 07:19:28 pm by Avsuptem »
Seems to me that the only contribution Gary Southgate makes is picking the team, most of us on here could do just as good a job of that as he does. Compare him with our manager who instills belief, total commitment and enthusiasm in his players, gets them playing their hearts out. The contrast is obvious.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 20, 2024, 07:19:44 pm by Draytonian III »
So if Southgate goes , who do you replace him with and why ?
 Don’t say Eddie Howe because he’ll be lucky to be Newcastle manager at the turn of the year

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 20, 2024, 07:21:06 pm by Avsuptem »
 Don’t say Eddie Howe because he’ll be lucky to be Newcastle manager at the turn of the year

See post above.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 20, 2024, 07:25:32 pm by PDX_Rover »
With all that talent why on earth did they once again simply stop playing once they got the goal. I don’t know what the strategy is there at all.

Inviting trouble. Terrible performance and I can only hope that England are lulling the other teams into a false sense of security…

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 20, 2024, 07:27:38 pm by Nudga »

I would like Carlo Ancolotti, the bloke is a serial winner.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 20, 2024, 07:27:48 pm by Copps is Magic »
With all that talent why on earth did they once again simply stop playing once they got the goal. I don’t know what the strategy is there at all.

and how many times has this happened....

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 20, 2024, 07:28:18 pm by Branton Red »
Why at every tournament are the England games the most boring?

Gave up and read my book, with the game in the background, second half.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 20, 2024, 07:29:01 pm by jmt23 »
I think these are Southgate’s tactics though, to “manage energy” throughout the tournament. This is how he has managed us for the last few years. Get in front and try to control the game, slow it down, and hope to pick them off.

Today was poor though, but this is a new team in a lot of ways.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 20, 2024, 07:32:31 pm by Filo »
Southgate: “we haven’t got a natural replacement for Calvin Phillips”

Whats he been smoking?

I can’t believe I just heard that

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 20, 2024, 07:32:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Like Fabio Capello was before he took over the Golden Generation.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 20, 2024, 07:33:12 pm by RoversInSpain »

Just like Capello was?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 20, 2024, 07:34:31 pm by DonnyNoel »

Pep or Klopp

;)

Although tbf I don't think they're in what Capt Mainwaring would call the realms of fantasy. I think Pep will leave City soon, he's won it all and it may be about to get messy at City. Plus does he want another massive "project" in somewhere like Italy or does he want to do something involving his current knowledge.

Klopp would bring tempo but maybe the Liverpool/England tension wouldn't allow it.

I've always rated Poch, plus at both Saints and Spurs he put a lot of players into the England setup.

I don't see an obvious English choice granted. Oddly if Potter had stayed at Brighton he'd probably be nailed on.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 20, 2024, 07:34:51 pm by Copps is Magic »
Capello was a dinosaur hated by the players.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 20, 2024, 07:35:10 pm by Nudga »
Surely you manage energy by putting teams to the sword and then rotating a couple of players off the bench.
We very rarely go to kill teams off.
I feel sorry for the thousands of people going over there and spending hundreds if not thousands to experience tournament football.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 20, 2024, 07:35:59 pm by Nudga »

Just like Capello was?

Pat is not in Ancolloti's league.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 20, 2024, 07:39:51 pm by DonnyNoel »
Capello was a dinosaur hated by the players.

Openly sat in the team hotel cheering Italy on like a lunatic if you listen to some players/journos from the time as well now that podcasts are all the rage. I suppose, contradicting my earlier post already, thats the danger of a foreign manager.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 20, 2024, 07:43:09 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Seems very odd a lot of fans and pundits are suggesting the same solution - Bellingham dropping in for Trent then Foden as a 10 plus a new winger yet it doesn't seem to be something on GS's radar.

Bellingham would have been one of the first subs he looked like he just couldn't be bothered.  Talk about Kane not closing down he was just ambling around while opposition players with the ball were within a couple of yards of him... nothing.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 20, 2024, 07:46:12 pm by DonnyNoel »
Seems very odd a lot of fans and pundits are suggesting the same solution - Bellingham dropping in for Trent then Foden as a 10 plus a new winger yet it doesn't seem to be something on GS's radar.

Bellingham would have been one of the first subs he looked like he just couldn't be bothered.  Talk about Kane not closing down he was just ambling around while opposition players with the ball were within a couple of yards of him... nothing.

I think on that latter point though - he never has. If it is going to be our gameplan then it needs practising quickly as a press isn't just people running around, it's coordinated so getting an international team of "strangers" to do it requires a bit more. Or play someone up front with him so the press can happen and Kane can drop on the DM.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 20, 2024, 07:47:44 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Whats he been smoking?

I was struggling with this too

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 20, 2024, 07:51:11 pm by DonnyNoel »

Whats he been smoking?

Ditto. Phillips was good for England don't get me wrong when he was in form but if he's the only player who can break up an attack, give it to someone else then bomb forward to move defenders around then I'm sending GS a video of John Spicer.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 20, 2024, 07:54:36 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
But we have Rice for that job anyway. He can’t be there for his passing.

Southgate has done a lot of good and whatever happens he should leave when we are out of the tournament before that get’s overlooked. It appears we’ve gone backwards since the last tournament despite having a really good squad.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 20, 2024, 08:03:08 pm by ncRover »
Shearer was laying down cold hard facts all game on co-commentary. When Southgate is getting torn apart by a failed manager it says it all.

I don’t think there will be anyone on here coming on to suggest we’re all knee-jerk negative whingers now.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 20, 2024, 08:05:36 pm by Silkscarf »
I think the 2 ‘holding midfielders’ or whatever you want to call them is the problem. 8 times out of 10 we don’t need 2 people doing that job. You’ve got Rice there so the other bloke can get forward or wide or wherever he fancies and make things happen. We’ve got several players who can do that. Other teams should be worrying about our forward players.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 20, 2024, 08:14:32 pm by Campsall rover »
I would offer it to Klopp tomorrow after that Shambles
There is no excuse for that performance tonight
Southgate is tactically inept
Good coach obviously but he has lost the plot.
No left hand side to the team
This is England it’s a joke
why take Gordon if not going to play him?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on June 20, 2024, 08:16:53 pm by Draytonian III »
There was one English striker there who was in Frankfurt who would close the defenders down, John Marquis, he posted a photo on Instagram

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 20, 2024, 08:18:06 pm by ncRover »
I think the 2 ‘holding midfielders’ or whatever you want to call them is the problem. 8 times out of 10 we don’t need 2 people doing that job. You’ve got Rice there so the other bloke can get forward or wide or wherever he fancies and make things happen. We’ve got several players who can do that. Other teams should be worrying about our forward players.

2 holding midfielders is fine if you play a left winger, left back and have an attacking creative right back.

Kane said they weren’t sure on what the trigger to press was. That is seriously concerning.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 20, 2024, 08:20:09 pm by Scooter »
I’m still fuming. That performance was dreadful. I like Southgate but his number is up, time for him to go, even if we have a successful tournament
As mentioned no left hand side in either game. Get Gordon on. Today’s game was crying out for Grealish

That’s the worst game I’ve seen Bellingham play. I’m hoping we see a few changes for Slovenia

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 20, 2024, 08:21:53 pm by The Beast »
Not wishing my summer away but be glad when this crap is over, so can get on with supporting Rovers !

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 20, 2024, 08:31:50 pm by RoversInSpain »
There was one English striker there who was in Frankfurt who would close the defenders down, John Marquis, he posted a photo on Instagram
Talking of ex Rovers players, must say Todd Miller is having a blinder for Spain tonight.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012